Cornwall Football Forum

Charity Day - Sunday 3rd August

Guest Phil H

Guest Phil H

Just a blatant "plug" for the Charity Day tomorow, Sunday 3rd August :

12noon Budleigh Salterton (Div 1 East Champions) v Wadebridge Town (Div 1 West Champions) for the first ever Charity Vase

3.30pm Bodmin Town (Lge Champions & Cup Winners) v Saltash United (Lge Runners up) for the Charity Bowl.

Admission £4 for the whole day (£2 concessions) and a 20 page programme covering both games on sale for 50p

Proceeds to the League Benevolent Fund

Yes the venue is BUCKLAND Athletic's Homers Heath with the staging of the Carlsberg South West Peninsula League's season curtain-raisers : the Charity Vase and the Charity Bowl.

The Vase is obviously being played for the first time as it pitches together the champions of Division One East and Division One West. This game being the fore- runner to the Bowl, which this year will be contested by the Premier Division champions and runners-up.

East Division winners Budleigh Salterton will meet their West counterparts Wadebridge Town, who are now in the Premier Division after taking promotion, with a 12pm kick-off tomorrow.

The Bowl, which will kick off at 3.30pm, will be contested by champions Bodmin Town and runners-up Saltash United, rather than by the champions and the Cup winners, as Bodmin also won the Throgmorton Cup.

If the scores are level at the end of the match, then a penalty shoot-out will decide the winners.

The squads initially announced for all four teams were as follows:-

Budleigh Salterton (from): Chris Garnsworthy, Neil Pointing, Stuart Francis, Neil Saunders, Nick Hayman, Steve Maynard, Brett Wright, Matt Byrne, Danny Williams, Danny Hall, Kenny Smith, Danny Minto, Dave Wilkes, Tim Bradshaw, Liam Ellis, Bradley Evans, Martin Kelland, Craig Higham, Richard Higham, Scott Thornhill

WADEBRIDGE Town manager Stuart Dudley as admitted he knows very little about his opponents:- “All I know is that they won division one east but didn't take promotion. But they must be a pretty useful outfit to have won that division.”

The Bridgers are still set to be without injured duo Chris Wolstencroft and Jonny May but should be boosted by the return of Luke Hodge, Chris Yeatman, Nathan Cudmore and Lee Cameron. Dudley may also have a new central defender on show as well. “If not he may be on board by the time we play Penzance at home next Tuesday in our final friendly,” added the Bridgers' boss.

Summer signing Cam Palin and Paul Grills scored in the final 10 minutes in Wadebridge's 2-0 win over Saltash's second team at Kimberley.

Wadebridge Town (from): Luke Payne, Mark Gears, James Cudmore, Danny Ellis, Aidan Dodd, Martin Cook, Dave Powell, Virgil Igalawuye, Duncan Watson, Chris Yeatman, Stuart Parkin, Daryl Beesley, Patrick Rushton, Nathan Cudmore, Lee Cameron, Jonnie May, Cameron Palin, Josh Insley, Chris Wolstencroft, Luke Hodge, Kevin Lawrence (not so sure Kevin will be present as I was under the impression he has decided to stay with Porthleven).

Bodmin Town (from): K Miller, L Underhay, H Morgan, R Teagle, S Flynn, S Simmonds, T Chambers, D Gilbert, J Morris, S Ovens, G Hobbs, D O'Hagan, M Berry, K Whitfeld, R Young.

Saltash's pre-season has been hampered by the loss of several of manager Kevin Hendy's impressive squad to holidays, work and injuries.

Tomorrow will not be any different as Matt Godfree (wedding), Paul Madden (work), Toby Clark (holiday), Gavin Coulton (work), Carl Pender (ankle) and Carlton Farnham (shin) are definitely ruled out. To add to his problems Hendy awaits news on another three injury doubts before naming his starting line-up.

'We are looking forward to the game as it is always a good occasion and will be a very good test for us. Bodmin denied us the championship and I'm sure will once again be up there with us in the coming season,' said Hendy

Saltash United (from): C Wearing, M Piper, P Edwards, D Smith, T Bouch, B Nute, S Sargison, S Clark, D Lewis, D Simpson, S Manley, L Landricombe, G Palmer, M Thorne, S Parnell.

Guest h8ymo

The League’s Benevolent Fund only has a few opportunities each season to raise funds and this day is one of those occasions. The Fund has been put in place by the League’s board of directors to enable players, referee’s etc who suffer any financial hardship through injury to obtain money to help them.

Last season the fund paid out well in excess of £1,000 to worthy claims, including a match day official, who suffered serious injuries in his line of work.

The gate receipts go to this fund and also we will be running a draw throughout the day, please give generously as the next claim we have to deal with could be from a player of the club you support - or a referee you actually like !

Last year the Fund received a boost of £500+ from the game at Kimberley Stadium and a return along those lines tomorrow would be greatly appreciated by the trustees of the fund.

MH

Guest h8ymo

From A38 take the Newton Abbot turning, follow road into first roundabout after about 4 miles, first exit, next roundabout after 50 yards second exit, down hill 100 yards, third exit at roundabout, along straight road B & Q on leftt. Go straight across next roundabout, go along the Avenue and with war memorial in front of you take the left turning, past railway station, round left hand bend and take right hand turning at second traffic lights.

Railway bridge in front of you, under this, go on for 500 yards to mini roundabout, second exit, past Keyberry Inn on left, continue over brow of hill for about 1/2 mile, Homers Heath on the right. If you get lost ring this number 07759 - 502408, he's been there before and he'll guide you there . . .

MH

For a moment I thought that was really helpful, including a telephone mobile, then I realised it was mine! Nice one :D

But actually, i do know the grounds in Newton Abbot really well! After eventually finding out last season that what I thought was Newton Abbot Spurs, was Newton Abbot's!

Now let's see,

and take right hand turning at second traffic lights.
- really crucial you don't miss this turning! :clapper:

Blimey h8ymo no wonder I circum navigated Newton Abbot to come in via Teignmouth. And me travelling from Plymouth. I didn't have a co pilot with me that was the problem.