Cornwall Football Forum

DARREN BENT

You have to take you hat off to Darren Bent, on the day a hero departed, was monday night the beginning of a new era?

Bent is a player not wanted or rated by half of Tottenham supporters. I sit firmly in the pro Bent camp, I believe if we give him the opportunity he will produce the goods. regardless of the opposition Bent was under immense pressure to take his chance on monday night and his four goals showed he has balls as well as ability...

Though I wouldn't dare suggest that Bent is a better player than either Berba or keane, I would argue that he is a better finisher and if he is given the opportunity he will better the 23 goals his 'Superior' team-mates managed last season.

Bent is a goalscorer, pure and simple. The danger Spurs had with both keane and Berbatov is they tend to overplay and with Ramos wanting to play quick pass and move football this could be ideal for a player like Bent who is a direct, go for goal player, not one for the intricate take five touches when one would do attitude of the other two.

I would happily start the season with bent as our main striker, though we would need support as I really don't think Pekhart is ready to lead the line for anything other than the odd game.

With support of players like Dos Santos, Modric and possibly Bentley, if we believe the latest news, we have a number of busy players who would offer superb support for Darren and give him chances galore.

What are the odds on Bent scoring more than 23 goals next season and would you bet on him doing it?

another player who had £10m added to his fee cos he was fluent in English

Rooney cost nearly TWICE as much as Bent and was outscored by him in each season Bent was in the Premiership with Charlton. Also Darren, are you saying that Bent is only worth £2million?. I ask that because despite the bollocks that everybody has read in the papers, Darren Bent only cost £12million (that's TWELVE million, not sixteen). The further £4.8million is based upon appearances (I'm fairly certain a portion is payable after 40 appearances) and also after certain levels of success achieved etc, such as last season's league cup, uefa cup etc etc.

so make that £16m then, cos surely he's going to be playing more games this year!!!

I was meant to write £6m anyway for the fluency in English, so dunno why I said £10m. Andy Johnson another one! £11m to Fulham!!!

No wonder there's so many foreigners in our game, its cos they're about £5m cheaper

Mate, Arshavin can use either foot, play on either wing, play behind the striker(s) or as a second striker, has explosive pace and wonderful ability with the ball and can also find the back of the net. He really is an all round player and would be a superb asset IF we can get him.

My guess is that if he is the one player that Levy really wants, he WILL be in a Spurs shirt when the season kicks off because despite being a bloody fantastic business man, Levy is a Spurs supporter and now he can see that the opposition are unlikely to stump up the cash for Arshavin, he will get in there quickly and secure his signature. Pretty much in the same way he did with Modric before the euro's and that was a superb bit of business that came out of the blue. Do you think he would have cost £16million after his performances in the euro's??. Take into consideration that David Villa was apparantly only a maximum £20million player before the euro's and is now apparantly worth over £30million.

As for you thinking we still need a striker mate, don't worry about it because in the next couple of weeks we will see playing at the lane, either Pavlyuchenko (Russian striker who looked superb at the euro's and put 2 goals past England at Wembley to stop us qualifying), David Villa (people will laugh but nobody else is following up interest and he has said he would play for Ramos and Tottenham) or Diego Milito (Argentinian international striker who plays for Real Zaragoza and is considered a perfect replacement for Berba).

Well I'm dead certain that Ramos would not be letting them get new contracts if he didn't see them as valuable and able to work within his system. In all fairness, Dawson has been bloody brilliant with either King or Dawson next to him and I think I'm right in saying that in the season before last he was voted player of the season by the Spurs supporters. He just needs somebody else to take some of the responsibility off his shoulders whilst he matures because lets face it, for a defender he is still bloody young at 24 years of age (christ he seems to have been around forever doesn't he).

As for Jenas, sometimes he can be bloody superb (both legs of last seasons 6-2 aggregate win over Arsenal and then the final against Chelsea) but at other times he is annoying as f**k.

Don't forget there's a press conference on Sky Sports news in the morning, they reckon it's to announce Bentley but I reckon there may be a surprise?.

Guest 5legs

i too think bent is good enough to lead our line.it was hard for him to break into the team last season with the way berba & keano linked up.but i think he will score goals for us like he did for charlton if not more considerin the quality of the people who will be providin him with sevice.

dos santos is class player

i think bent's big price tag(not his fault)has put him under pressure

defo think they should try get ashavin he is top draw

thing is if these potentialy good players do well then no doubt the big boys will try an attain their services

cause at the end of the day it will be hard for spurs to keep brilliant players,just as it is for villa everton?? etc etc

dos santos is class player

i think bent's big price tag(not his fault)has put him under pressure

defo think they should try get ashavin he is top draw

thing is if these potentialy good players do well then no doubt the big boys will try an attain their services

cause at the end of the day it will be hard for spurs to keep brilliant players,just as it is for villa everton?? etc etc

True but if 3 or 4 of these players do well then I have no doubt we will finish top 4 which will be enough for us to keep every member of the squad should we choose to do so.

COYS

FOYG

good shout m8 but look at keane and maybe berbatov they got bigger fish to fry

True but that'll be because we finished 11th last season and so they are seeking champs league football. If we get top 4 this type of player will almost certainly say.

Great to see Benty banging them in again last night.

COYS

good shout m8 but look at keane and maybe berbatov they got bigger fish to fry

Good shout speedy and I see what you're saying BUT with the quality that's coming in and the shape Ramos has got the players into, there is no reson whatsoever to think that Spurs can't once again become one of the biggest fish out there. As Redruth_07 said, if the players play to their full potential and to the peak of their abilities, the top 4 is not such a crazy thing to aim for.

I'm not so sure it will happen this season because of the transition period for players to settle in BUT it seems that Ramos will get all his spending done before the season starts because Arshavin WILL be signed within the next week and then I think Pavlyuchenko will not be too far behind (he just happens to have the same agent as Arshavin).

I think there must be ALOT of credit paid to Juande Ramos and Daniel Levy because this summer we've signed Gomes, Dos Santos, Modric, Bentley, Bostock and M'poku but because of shrewd sales at UNBELIEVABLE prices, we have actually only paid out a miserly £4million so far and it was well documented that Ramos had around £56million set aside for any necessary transfer activity before the transfer window even opened.

It seems that Arshavin and Pavlyuchenko will cost around £40million in total, so once again the money men at Spurs will have waved their financial magic Juande (like what I did there ;) ) and once again there will be a huge + sign next to the figures at the end of the financial year. I can still see a good centre back coming in and maybe even a defensive midfielder but to be honest, after the signings that Ramos is showing he is capable of pulling off, I am not at all concerned about the future of my club. COYS

Rumours of a DM we will bring in at the moment are Veloso of Sporting Lisbon and Coloccini of Deportivo; I don't know a lot about either but they are both highly rated. Either and a CB plus the Russians minus Berba and our squad would be complete, in my opinion.

In Ramos We Trust

COYS

• 2 weeks later...

His past exploits and the exploits in this years pre-season are proof that if Bent is played as a lone striker, he WILL score goals for fun and 13 goals in 7 matches is a wonderful return for any player, let alone one who was tagged as "super flop" and "waste of money" all last season.

Although if people bothered to do research before opening their stupid mouths, they would know that if all strikers at Spurs last season were compared to eachother, Bent actually had the best strike rate of all of them when taking into account goals per minutes on the pitch.

Guest mariner

Cooper you stated on july 31 that 1 week later arshavin and pava whatsecalled would be signed surely another 40 mill on top of what they have spent has to be a far cry now so close to the season plus i dont think they need them

Cooper you stated on july 31 that 1 week later arshavin and pava whatsecalled would be signed surely another 40 mill on top of what they have spent has to be a far cry now so close to the season plus i dont think they need them

I agree mate. I don't think we need both but I do think we need and will get Arshavin. I think that if/when Berbatov goes to Man Utd we will need another striker because we would only have Darren Bent as our experienced 1st choice forward and probably young Pekhart from the reserves as his back up. If Bent were to get injured we would have to rely on a 19 year old lad and some good attacking midfielders to score the goals and I think that's an un-necessary burden to be honest.

Also with Bent as our only recognised striker, it would limit the way Ramos could set his team up and with him being a tactical genius, he just wouldn't accept that situation. We have still barely laid out any money for the signings we have made and if/when Berbatov goes it will be his money that finances the Arshavin and striker deals, so the books will be just as healthy as the team. Happy days :P

hate to say it as a gooner but spurs are looking good

and would be a good match for our reserve side!!

Good old Speedy, ALWAYS up for a giggle. Good on you mate :thumbsup:

However, I can't believe that you've left yourself so open to an easy and obvious response. Although the whole world knows that it was your first team that took the hammering, the Ar5ena1 faithful always say it wasn't but just to amuse you I will suggest to you that we already PROVED that we are more than a match for your "reserve team". Or are you suffering from convenient memory loss?. ;)

MMMMM 3 years without a trophy Jake, the only thing Whinger has done well is supply other clubs with players and trophies thanks very much....oh and hes managed to suck to the last English blood out of the club take my hat off to him for that. Although I see he did go against all his beliefs at the weekend and have more than one englishman on the field at a time, but fear not as this was only a friendly tournament. 3 years no trophies he should count himself bloody lucky to still be in the job!!

Sure I can speak on behalf of vast majority of fans and say I would rather see my club play nicely spend a bit of cash, if needed, oh yes and actually win something again :D

look at the money wenger hasnt spent,he has done far better than any of the other managers.imagine what they would be like with more spending power..

Speedy mate, I don't think Wenger would even spend the money if he had it. I just don't think it's his way and he'd rather polish a stone into a diamond. The guy is undoubtably one of the very best managers in the world (or should that be one of the best coaches/player developers?).

Lets face it Speedy bud, you hit the nail on the head in your post about suffering with a little amnesia. Wenger's team DO produce the best football (most pleasing on the eye) but as Mark C said, with very little end product and as gillo10 said, after 3 years without a trophy Wenger should consider himself lucky to still hold down the managerial position at Arsenal.

He will obviously be invited to move upstairs when it is time for a new manager and I wonder just how much longer the club can go without success (trophy or league) before Master Splinter is indeed moved to that more executive position. Also, how much say (interference) will he be allowed to have when the new manager is put into place?.

I also have a sneaky feeling that their fiercest rivals and the one and only TRUE North London club could well be playing football just as sexy as Arsenal's this season and maybe even more exciting at the same time?.

not good start for spurs coopsie! and with berbs lookin not bothered cause he wants to go to united things rnt looking good. although its first season match i hope it changes cause my old man likes spurs and the potential is there and even though i support united i wouldnt mind seeing spurs break into top 4

Indeed Mark, not the best of starts at all. I am obviously disappointed but it's not the end of the world and if I take into account that towards the end of last season that Boro took points of all of the "big 4" and finished extremely strong,especially when playing at the Riverside, it's not all doom and gloom.

Yes perhaps Spurs should have taken atleast a point against a team that may be perceived as inferior but we all know that on any given day any team can beat any other team.

I take heart from the fact that it's a marathon, not a sprint, and maybe after the international break when we play Sunderland at home we will be rid of the sulky Bulgarian and can kick on with a settled squad?. Although Sunderland will be quite a tough package for quite a few teams this season in my opinion.

I just wish they would sort it all out Mark, don't you?. Berba want's United, United want Berba, why not just shell out the necessary fee and end this mess. All the stalling is doing neither club or the player any favors and it now appears that Spurs are to give up on Arshavin and look towards alternative signings.

All my pre season optimism is dwindling by the minute and to be honest I think that until all this Berba crap is sorted out, both United and Spurs will struggle to move on from what were abject performances at the weekend.

this is true coopsie! i feel sorry for spurs that he wants to go but hes the type of player that wont b fussed on the pitch if he doesnt get what he wants. after watching the united game on sunday i would say man utd reaaly need a top man to hlep rooney into the game cause campbell(who i rate) needs experience and is a fly in size and without ronaldo we need all the goals we can get, and for spurs sake because its obvious that this is effecting the team!