Cornwall Football Forum

Is anyone in Cornwall really that surprised?

Guest bimbo

Guest bimbo

Having trawled through this website week after week, reading the comments of other users I thought it was finally time to put my 2'peneth worth in, so here goes...

...so as the title says 'surprised' no not really, I notice that the new appointments secretary for the SWPL is from Devon, surprise, surprise... not not really, who knows he may do a good job but then again he may not, only time will tell if there is to be sensible appointing, but somehow I doubt it, especially as the league have re-elected the clown from the far west of the county to act as his deputy and advisor! (he has too many issues with too many people to be fair and impartial) and also speaks his mind a little too often to the wrong people, how many backs has he rubbed up the wrong way and is still doing?

I also notice that the first game of the season (on a friday night) is yet again between two Devon teams, didn't teh same thing happen last year?

If people are not careful then the SWPL will be taken over by Devon (maybe not on the playing front) but certainly in administration.

Who knows, this season we just might have again, referees coming from Exeter and Torrington to officiated at places such as Newquay, Penzance and Porthleven for a mid-week fixture, making us spend money that we just haven't got, what has happened to sensible local appointing during the height of the summer and for mid-week matches? The old boy network is alive and well in Devon.

Well that's my 2'penneth worth, I just had to get it off my chest.

Guest Postie Pidge

I'd be very surprised if a referee from Torrington or Exeter would come down to Newquay, Penzance or Porthleven. Maybe in FA Competitions but not the League - I might be wrong

Guest bimbo

...And another point the SWPL has devalued, got their own way, call it what you will, the Cornwall Charity Cup by not allowing Premier League clubs to participate all because two extra teams have entered the league this year, for what? to play a minimum of 4 extra games! The League has got their way and will continue to do so, mark my words.

Mr. Pidgeon, this has happened, the misappointing of officials especially during midweek games.

We had a sprinkling of Devon based Referees at Penzance on Saturdays last season but all midweek fixtures had "local" officials. The major problem is the shortage of Referees.

If appointments were made purely on the basis of who has to travel the shortest distance then those of us based in the west of Cornwall would be seeing the same faces at all home games!

Guest crosser

...And another point the SWPL has devalued, got their own way, call it what you will, the Cornwall Charity Cup by not allowing Premier League clubs to participate all because two extra teams have entered the league this year, for what? to play a minimum of 4 extra games! The League has got their way and will continue to do so, mark my words.

Just remember that the charity cup was put to bed a long time ago and only brought back in the 90's so its not anything new, All in all I think the SWPL has a been breath of fresh air. Problem being some people don't like change!!

J miller :angry:

if you think that Tavi and Parkway are the only teams that will stay in the SWPL premier then you obviously didnt watch much football last season. Dartmouth and Witheridge faired well which included Witheridge going on a 12 match unbeaten run at the end of last seaosn which included playing many teams from Cornwall. In fact Witheridge were the team that ended Saltash's fantastic unbeaten run. Dartmouth managed to finish 7th and Witheridge finished 9th which meant BOTH the teams finished above Tavistock. who Witheridge beat 7-2 on their home ground.

Guest Phil H

The Referees appointer is from Devon, his deputy is from Cornwall. The Referees assessing officer is from .................... Cornwall so thats 2 out of 3 from the Dutchy - That really is an outrage ????

The Charity Cup - Sorry but are not the only 16 entrants all from Cornwall ? As for being Devalued please remember it has no priority of precedence because each county has 1 County Cup, the way the Charity Cup has been re-jigged sees the league give a Saturday to play the 1st round games and if anything it protects the future of that Cup rather than a policy of us saying - "nope it doesn't take precedence full stop"

I'm personally rather upset that this site just gives out stick to me and the officers who are and have worked incredibly hard to set this league up. A word of thanks and congratulations for the efforts of people from both Devon & Cornwall in making the league work would be nice but instead we just get digs from people hiding under made up names and making cheap pops.

It may have been noticed that I no longer post frequently here anymore, which frankly is unsurprising considering the anti-Devon vitrol posted by non-de-plumes.

I have to say the new league in its first year went well.

From a St Blazeys fans view, we missed out on our bumper crowds because we didnt play clubs like St Austell, Newquay etc.

Apart from that it was very good although i dont see some clubs bringing their facilities up to a good standard in the next 10 years let alone the next 2 when I believe it needs to be completed by. Correct me if im wrong.

On the other hand, you have Buckland who are building stands, have a lovely clubhouse and ill look forward to the return visit next season. :thumbsup:

I have always found the Cornwall Charity Cup a hindrance/reluctance to fit in especially later in the season when the weather has caused a backlog of fixtures.

In effect it was a reduced version of the Cornwall Senior Cup with invariably the same top four clubs in contention.

The new format seems ideal with good vision from the SWPL and the CCFA where the 16 invited clubs will come from the SWPL Div 1 (West).This means these clubs who still compete in the CSC and SWPL Cup have a more realistic chance to win a trophy in the Charity Cup.

Regarding the negative posts of this Devon influence on the SWPL I am sure the comments come from a very small minority whose football involvement have no connection with the League.

The first season has been a huge refreshing success with probably more tinkering to improve upon and run by a very efficient body of men..

It was the inevitable way forward from the old stagnant SWL which was becoming detached from the National non league scene.

Here's to the 2008-09 South West Peninsula League season.

I had an enjoyable season on my Devon jaunts meeting up with new football friends on every visit especially at Buckland where Chairman Roy was a good host and his wife with the table service lunch.

Guest Dermot

Crikey folks,the new season isnt underway yet and already the slagging off has started,lets get up and running and then let the nameless,faceless posters loose to have a moan eh? :angry2:

If you have a gripe about anyone or anything please have the decency to let us know who you are? :SM_carton:

Guest crosser

WELL SAID PHIL :D

For some strange reason their seems to be a lot of animosity on here to anyone Devonshire however i must add that their are alot of nice people i met last season down in the Duchy and look forward to visiting again during the new season.

why don't you bugger of back to devon :D ...............joking

i really wouldn't take offence at somebody called bimbo with only 2 posts both of them in this topic.

Moan, moan, moan, moan, moan. It is all about Cornwall. The SWPL has been a breath of freah air, it should have happened a long time ago. The days where a club wins the league 4/5 times running is long gone. Do not forget Bodmin were champions last season, Saltash runners-up. If my geography serves me correct, they are in Cornwall. You also have relegation, which will mean the possibility of clubs having their derby games back. At least that may stop the moaners from having a drip. Finally, why has it taken so long, one year, to start having a moan. Lets enjoy the football and may the best team win the league and respective cups next season, whoever they may be.

Guest Peppermint

I would like to add my thoughts to this topic because we had a similiar theme about the Peninsula League on another topic.

I welcome Phil Hiscox, contributions on this Forum which always prove informative and it would be a great shame if he did not contribute.

As someone connected with a Club in the new League I and my colleagues have nothing but praise for the the Peninsula League and its hard working officers. They spend endless hours visiting grounds in the league whether they are in Devon and Cornwall and the new league, has Paul stated, has been a great success.

We all, at times, have something we moan or complain about but surely it is much better if Phil or any of the other league officials are welcomed onto the Forum to inform us about things without being abused.

Keep up the good work Phil and the vast majority of the Forum users are grateful for all your hard work.

J miller :angry:

if you think that Tavi and Parkway are the only teams that will stay in the SWPL premier then you obviously didnt watch much football last season. Dartmouth and Witheridge faired well which included Witheridge going on a 12 match unbeaten run at the end of last seaosn which included playing many teams from Cornwall. In fact Witheridge were the team that ended Saltash's fantastic unbeaten run. Dartmouth managed to finish 7th and Witheridge finished 9th which meant BOTH the teams finished above Tavistock. who Witheridge beat 7-2 on their home ground.

I guess time will tell. The point I was trying to make was that Tavi and Parkway were established and used to the travelling in the old league. I wonder if that Porthleven, Penryn and Penzance push for promotion with their facilities and potentially remove 3 devon teams how would the other teams then fancy the travelling down every other week. Just how I percieve the future panning out. You obviously have different ideas. I personally hope the new league continues because its good, but hopefully the novelty of going to 'new grounds' doesnt wear off. I just wonder what teams are coming from the devon feeder leagues that would realistically be able to compete. Especially given that some of the devon sides have definetly struggled against stronger opposition from the west.

Guest ajlongcallington

It is truly a shame to see the criticism already starting. I had and still have the desire for a Cornishwide league sitting along side a devonwide league. But that desire is not the same as criticising a group of hardworking individuals who give up their time, often without any thanks, to enable nearly 1000 footballers across Devon and Cornwall to play the game they love.

It is no real surprise that the people who criticise often dont put their proper names, and these same people are not in the forefront of volunteering to keep football going in this part of the world.

Whilst the SWPL is not perfect, it is here, and operating better than most leagues of the same level across the UK. We can always improve it, as we can with most things in life, but as it is it is perfectly operational, and the geographical location of the officers is not at all important.

To Phil I would say ignore these petty minded individuals - the vast majority of the club officials and players do appreciate what you do and the effort that you put in to keep this league moving. Keep up the good work.

ajlong callington

WELL SAID. What alot of people don't realise is how much time and effort goes into not just the league but every single club with most clubs at our level voluntary. Speaking of my own club all of us commitee members are volunteers and spend many hours each week preparing for Saturday's so i dread to think how much work the league officials must have to do. I would like to say to all the league officials (not just Phil) that you are doing a great job the league is fantastic and long many the SWPL continue with volunteers like yourselves willing to give up so much of your spare time when you could easily say bugger it i cant be bothered with the hassle because of the views of a few narrow minded people.

Guest colin

It would be interesting to know what Devon based players, in particular Plymouth actually play for Cornish clubs

a lot of saltash united players are devon based

Guest Urban Spaceman

I guess time will tell. The point I was trying to make was that Tavi and Parkway were established and used to the travelling in the old league. I wonder if that Porthleven, Penryn and Penzance push for promotion with their facilities and potentially remove 3 devon teams how would the other teams then fancy the travelling down every other week. Just how I percieve the future panning out. You obviously have different ideas. I personally hope the new league continues because its good, but hopefully the novelty of going to 'new grounds' doesnt wear off. I just wonder what teams are coming from the devon feeder leagues that would realistically be able to compete. Especially given that some of the devon sides have definetly struggled against stronger opposition from the west.

this coming from someone who decided against a step up to play on new grounds in front of new fans to play on the same cornish grounds in div 1 west

Guest Mawnans no 9

To be Fair james the spaceman is right your opinion never matches up to your actions and you are someone I like to refer to as N.Anelka always looking for where the money is and never after the love of the game and look where he has ended up, you will be playing down with us soon you look good in a green and white shirt mate, allready signed gillo we are going for the lot this season not too late to sign :)

I have always found the Cornwall Charity Cup a hindrance/reluctance to fit in especially later in the season when the weather has caused a backlog of fixtures.

In effect it was a reduced version of the Cornwall Senior Cup with invariably the same top four clubs in contention.

The new format seems ideal with good vision from the SWPL and the CCFA where the 16 invited clubs will come from the SWPL Div 1 (West).This means these clubs who still compete in the CSC and SWPL Cup have a more realistic chance to win a trophy in the Charity Cup.

Regarding the negative posts of this Devon influence on the SWPL I am sure the comments come from a very small minority whose football involvement have no connection with the League.

The first season has been a huge refreshing success with probably more tinkering to improve upon and run by a very efficient body of men..

It was the inevitable way forward from the old stagnant SWL which was becoming detached from the National non league scene.

Here's to the 2008-09 South West Peninsula League season.

I had an enjoyable season on my Devon jaunts meeting up with new football friends on every visit especially at Buckland where Chairman Roy was a good host and his wife with the table service lunch.

SWP runs like clockwork, and must be the best at this level in the country. The new Charity Cup format will see it being the most relevant and keenly anticipated in many a season. Any idea when the draw for this and the Senior Cup are due?

To be Fair james the spaceman is right your opinion never matches up to your actions and you are someone I like to refer to as N.Anelka always looking for where the money is and never after the love of the game and look where he has ended up, you will be playing down with us soon you look good in a green and white shirt mate, allready signed gillo we are going for the lot this season not too late to sign :)

i think thats a bit harsh on james,i know he offered some of his weekly pay to player to stay,not the actions of a anelka,who wouldnt give u the ball letalone any moneis :clapper:

Guest Mawnans no 9

will you pay for it out of your wages you earn from football james ? If you played with your heart like you used too you might win something again

Guest Mawnans no 9

Maybe Harsh but i remember james when he had the world at his feet very fustrating seeing a talent like that go down the toilet !!!!

Guest Mawnans no 9

having known james and his dad for along time i seen natural talent allthough agree with you gud for a kick every now and then :P

Im still failing to see how the argument about the league has got anything to do with me playing. I would say Ive never had the world at my feet, knee ops, groin ops, cortisone injections does get you a bit dis heartened. The best people to ask if I ever gave less than 100% were managers when I played for them. Ask John Clarkson at Liskeard, Gary at Porthleven Alan at Bodmin and Port. Jenks, Pete and Aiden at Penryn and even Trevor at Penzance during pre season. I think you will find that all of them could never say I gave less than 100%... I know Mawnen have a few sour grapes with me playing for Falmouth 3rd and knocking you out of Lockart cup with 10 men. Fact I did not get paid a penny for that very enjoyable experience. Theres another one, ask penty if I put in anything less than 100% playing for him at the far ends of Cornwall on cow fields!

having known james and his dad for along time i seen natural talent allthough agree with you gud for a kick every now and then :P

sorry were in my posts have i said that hes good for a kick,in the season that i was down penryn,i think he must have been the most kicked player in the league,infact one game after being kicked all over the park,and then said for f;;;k sake ref,he got sent off,u know these refs that you can kick the shit out of a player,but dont swear at them, so for effert and skill he gets a 9 out of10 in my books :clapper:

It never ceases to amaze me that most people tend to meander away from the original posting which was headed 'Is anyone in Cornwall really that surprised?

The posting by the wirter seemed to be about someone with a chip on hos shoulder. Phil H has replied with his usual honesty in booting the bias suggestions out of touch about referees and appointments.

It also does not matter if the top 20 clubs in a few years time are all Cornish, as long as they are the top 20 teams who cares. A number of others have criticised this posting and others for knocking what is an excellent and well run league.

Try being positive for a change.

It looks as if we are heading for another great season and may the best team win (and take promnotion) after all that is what it is all about. Good football and good attendances. It may have passed you by but Plymouth Parkway had the biggest home average attendance with five teams from each county in the top 10. Likewise Bodmin Town attracted the biggest average away attendance with again 5 teams from each county occupying the top 10 away averages.

The league is still in its infancy but is one of the best supported and well adminstered in the country So stop knocking and start enjoying.

Guest postman pat

if the original poster is involved with his club off the field? he will know how difficult it is to get volunteers for any small task. just ask the players to take in the corner flags after a game :(

to get someone to organise and run a new venture like the swpl must have been a real headache.so what if those people are mainly from devon at least they put their reputations on the line.

if our friend is not happy with the situation then why did he not volunteer for a committee place himself!!!!! :c:

i have nothing but admiration for the postholders what they are doing is improving football in cornwall/devon keep up the good work and stay well clear of bimbo`s they will only get you into trouble :P