Cornwall Football Forum

Dave Gardner Memorial Trophy

Friday 25th July 08 at Kellaway Park Helston 6-30pm kick off

HELSTON ATHLETIC v FALMOUTH TOWN

Saturday 26th.July 08 at Gala Parc

PORTHLEVEN v PENZANCE

This being the 4th. contest of the Dave Gardner Memorial Trophy competed between his playing clubs.

2005- Final at Helston------ Penzance 3 Falmouth Town 1

2006- Final at Gala Parc---- Falmouth Town 3 Penzance 1

2007- Final at Penlee Park--Porthleven won on league basis

2008- Finals at Bickland Park Saturday August 2nd.

All proceeds to Cornwall Hospice Care/Macmillan Nurses (if its the same as last year)

Guest Postie Pidge

Helston: Barry Hennessey, Ernst Hemenck, Eddie Dunn, Terry Rowe, Colin Kettle, Nathan Radbone, Mike Hallibone, Andy Cowper, Duane Britton, Mark Goldsworthy, Graham Blake

Falmouth: Chris Symons, Adam Trudgian, Tom Hunter (Shaun Halford), Damon Mulready, Dave Rawlings, Matt Moore, Sam Hunter (Steve Hawke), Frazer Cadman, Glen Squires, Matt Drummond, Bobby Bryant

Referee: Steve Annis (Mawgan)

Assistants: George Pattison and Jason Grigor

I thought Falmouth had plenty of the ball but didnt really create much from midfielder. It was good to see that Glen Squires is back. He had a couple of chances. I hear Kevin Lawrance has signed for Porthleven. However i hear Neil Slateford will be playing for Falmouth soon? Best of luck for the season Falmouth.

Guest helstons utility player

Disappointingly dull game:

Helston Athletic 1 - 1 Falmouth Town

postie pidge you fail to mention that 6 players out of helstons starting 11 were playin 4 the 2nd team last year in div 1, and as it being our 1st proper game together i personally think we did very well, i think we all competed and showed v.good team spirit after whats happened at the club. Did u expect us to do better? we did what we wanted to do which was give falmouth a hard game and i think we did!! we are happy with are performance and hope to get better as the season progresses. Would like to wish falmouth the best of luck for there season ahead. :c:

Guest Postie Pidge

I failed to mention it because not being a follower of Helston all I knew was that there were two players staying from last season (according to the paper). Big Barry in goal again was almost unbeatable and Duane Britton had an exceptional game. Top marks to Helston who gave a battling performance. After we beat Team Bath I thought we would be ok but it seems that we need a little tinkering before the league campaign begins.

Guest helstons utility player

fair enough i apology then :P , yh they had outstanding games as did everyone, did u play last night or r u a supporter??

Guest Black&White

Porthleven 0, Penzance 1 (Harrington 75)

Both sides deserve a lot of credit for a decent game in hot and humid conditions at Gala Parc.

Penzance created the better chances throughout the game, with James Miller firing a shot against the right post in the first half and having another disallowed for offside.

Porthleven enjoyed their best spells in the game at the beginning and end of the second half, creating a few half chances, but it was the Magpies who gained a deserved victory when man of the match Justin Harrington found the bottom corner of Danny Burrows' net 15 minutes from time with a trademark free-kick.

Skipper Mark Vercesi, Andy Westgarth and substitute Stuart Reynolds all went close to adding a second for the visitors, who were good value for their victory.

Next up for the Magpies is a trip to Falmouth Town on Tuesday, while Helston visit Gala Parc on Wednesday night (both games 7.30).

Porthleven: Danny Burrows; Ashley Stidwell, Martin Day, Glen Rogers, Wayne Brown, Josh Kemp, Kevin Lawrence, Jason Robinson, Paul Robinson, Steve Warr, Jamie Thirkle. Subs: Mike Davies, Darren Burchell, Matt Fox, Danny Williams, Rob Robinson.

Penzance: 'Sid' Taylor; Mark Hollands, Johnny Ludlam, Ryan Bushby, Jamie Burr, Justin Harrington, Dan Richardson, Mark Vercesi ©, Andy Westgarth, James Miller, Tom Patrick. Subs: Steve Burt, Stuart Reynolds, Darren Holsey, Jamie Devine, Dan Magee, Richard Pennington (GK), Bradley Wills, Damian Norman (GK).

Referee: Ian Roberts. Assistants: 'George' Pattison and Doug Atkins.

Yes Trevor tis I Duncan, Ive left the mighty Town and will hopefully be performing at Mawnan this season.

Surprised they have gone for Cadman as some sort of replacement for Burchy. Struggled at Port couple years back and couldnt even start regularly for Holmans last year in Combo. Lets hope he has improved for towns sake!!!

Guest robtorson

Porthleven 0, Penzance 1 (Harrington 75)

Both sides deserve a lot of credit for a decent game in hot and humid conditions at Gala Parc.

Penzance created the better chances throughout the game, with James Miller firing a shot against the right post in the first half and having another disallowed for offside.

Porthleven enjoyed their best spells in the game at the beginning and end of the second half, creating a few half chances, but it was the Magpies who gained a deserved victory when man of the match Justin Harrington found the bottom corner of Danny Burrows' net 15 minutes from time with a trademark free-kick.

Skipper Mark Vercesi, Andy Westgarth and substitute Stuart Reynolds all went close to adding a second for the visitors, who were good value for their victory.

Next up for the Magpies is a trip to Falmouth Town on Tuesday, while Helston visit Gala Parc on Wednesday night (both games 7.30).

Porthleven: Danny Burrows; Ashley Stidwell, Martin Day, Glen Rogers, Wayne Brown, Josh Kemp, Kevin Lawrence, Jason Robinson, Paul Robinson, Steve Warr, Jamie Thirkle. Subs: Mike Davies, Darren Burchell, Matt Fox, Danny Williams, Rob Robinson.

Penzance: 'Sid' Taylor; Mark Hollands, Johnny Ludlam, Ryan Bushby, Jamie Burr, Justin Harrington, Dan Richardson, Mark Vercesi ©, Andy Westgarth, James Miller, Tom Patrick. Subs: Steve Burt, Stuart Reynolds, Darren Holsey, Jamie Devine, Dan Magee, Richard Pennington (GK), Bradley Wills, Damian Norman (GK).

Good evening everybody.

I indeed Was at this game. Very good game..Very high standard. Penzance didn't stop running, and Port defended well although i must add if Penzance took their early chances, the game could have easily been put to bed.

Nice to see Justin, Johnny,and Mark playing again, enjoyed watching a lot of there football last season at Truro, quality players (and an impeccable finish from Justin from the free kick to win the game)

Young Richard (also from truro) did well when coming on for Siddy Taylor.. But the other keeper that didn't get on, if its the same guy who played against us at magpies last season, what a goalkeeper, the best ive seen down here. Surely won't sit on the bench for too long.. Good luck to all sides in the Dave Gardner Cup.

Rob

I am told that Bodmin have been successful with a seven day approach for a Penzance player - which one of th above is it I wonder?

Spot on Seagull. The tip-off came from someone connected with cricket and so I should have guessed myself really! Bearing in mind Paul Madden has gone back to Saltash and left-sided player .... it surely has to be Karl.

However, I gather Penzance are none too happy! Mind you, as far as Cornish football has been concerned over the past 10 years or so, it wouldn't be the same without Trevor and Alan slugging it out with each other!

:D

According to my sources , he played about 60mins before being substituted.

2nd Round matches.

Tuesday 29th.July FALMOUTH TOWN v PENZANCE at Bickland Park 7-30pm KO

Wednesday 30th.July PORTHLEVEN v HELSTON ATHLETIC at Gala Parc 7-30pm KO

Positions

1st.Penzance..........3 pts 1-0

2nd Falmouth Town 1pt.,,1-1

3rd.Helston Athletic 1pt...1-1

4th.Porthleven........0pts.0-1

The visit of Penzance will see the return to Bickland of two former managers.

Trevor Mewton assisted by Ray Nicholls have assembled a very attractive squad which includes Ex Truro Mark Vercesi,Johnny Ludlam and Justin Harrington.

The Penzance squad includes 7 former Town players with a strike force of Andy Westgarth and James Miller plus Sid Taylor in goal

Guest Postie Pidge

FALMOUTH TOWN 1 - 3 PENZANCE

0-1 Andy Westgarth 29m

0-2 Jamie Burr 63m

1-2 Jonny Ludlam og 66m

1-3 Andy Westgarth 86m

Falmouth: Chris Symons, Adam Trudgian, Wayne Hewitt, Damon Mulready, Dave Rawlings, Matt Moore, Steve Hawke (Chris Peck 63m), Frazer Cadman (Andy Bowker 63m), Glen Squires, Matt Drummond (Sam Hunter h/t), Bobby Bryant.

Penzance: Sid Taylor, Mark Hollands, Jonny Ludlam (Dan Magee (?) 71m), Mark Vercesi, Jamie Burr, Ryan Bushby, Dan Richardson, Steve Burt (Stuart Reynolds 71m), Andy Westgarth, James Miller (Jamie Devine 66m), Tom Patrick

Referee: Charlie Philpott

Assistants: Ian 'George' Pattison and Trevor Lawrence

Penzance are looking likely trophy winners after this victory, and in fact could well be by this time tomorrow evening after the Porthleven v Helston match, making the outcome of Saturday's games immaterial.

Definitely the better side tonight, although without Justin Harrington seemed to make hard work of it at times. Both sides lost possession too easily, but then that's what these pre-season games are all about.

For the season ahead, Penzance will undoubtedly be a force in the Division One West. Upfront however is still where they don't convince for me. I personally still think giving Stuart Reynolds a longer run-out would be interesting and hopefully worthwhile - to see what he's made of, will he work with Andy Westgarth, who scored twice - the second a nice delicate chip in the far corner over the 'keeper; or is it going to be case of one or the other?

I've watched Falmouth three times now, and I hope I am wrong (usually am :D ), but I think player/manager Andy Bowker, now back from holiday, could just possibly have a long season ahead on the showing of the squad so far. One hopes there are more players to come in for the sake of the Bickland faithfuls!

Good to hear that referee Charlie has gone metric as well!!! What was it Charlie you said to the Falmouth defensive wall in the first half, not 10 yards, but 9.5 metres? :D

Of course you're quite right CTB, hence I've changed the first paragraph!

As for the attendance - with the number of cars in the car park, I have to admit to being a little disappointed with the number inside! As for exact number, I'll leave that to the Falmouth stattos, but whatever, all gave for a great cause.

Watched the game last night. Apart from Chris in goal and Matt Drummond up front Falmouth just looked like they did not know what to do with the ball when they had it. Drummond pace up front was causing the Penzance back line problems and it was a pity he went off at half time. Very sad to see so few people out there last night considering it was a bit of a local derby game.

Three highlights from the game:

1. Johnny Ludlams own goal(ex Truro) :yahoo:

2. Good goalkeeping display from Chris Symons :thumbsup:

3. Pidegons Hair. :D

And as my wife said last night"my god,has'nt James Miller put on a lot of weight" :thumbsup:

Must be going to the KFC now he is playing down penzance :lol:

I am the best you are correct - As I said earlier if it was'nt for Beanie, Penzance would have one the game by much more. They should walk there league - good team and they did not have Justin harrington playing for them last night.

I am the best you are correct - As I said earlier if it was'nt for Beanie, Penzance would have one the game by much more. They should walk there league - good team and they did not have Justin harrington playing for them last night.

Very big statement to make this early Nephew. If you can see that far ahead and clearly, can you send me the lottery numbers for each Saturday too for the next 45 weeks also!!!

Falmouth v Porthleven 5.00

Penzance v Helston 2.00

Penzance did labour a little last night without Harrington (anyone know why he wasn't there?) but still looked by far the better side and could have won by a few more: I agree with Dave that it would be worth giving Stuart Reynolds more time: he put away a terrific finish that was judged off-side. Perhaps Saturday is an opportunity to experiment a little more?

On another matter Dave it was a lovely surprise to get Cornish Soccer through the door the other day along with all the red bills.

Guest Postie Pidge

it says i( Neil slateford) was a sub a half time thats wrong it was sam hunter who came on at h/f i am still injured and wasnt even a substitute.

Sorry Slates, spending too much time talking to nephew to realise. I blame the eyesight of my fellow statto's who are still struggling to recognise another team of new faces, and our number one recogniser who forgot the game was taking place!