Cornwall Football Forum

Bere Alston United's Remaining Friendlies

Here is a list of Bere Alston United's remaining friendlies before season kicks off on 16th August 2008

Tuesday 22nd July 2008: Plymouth Parkway Res (H) - k.o. 6.45pm

Thursday 24th July 2008: Walkhampton (A) - k.o. 6.45pm

Saturday 26th July 2008: Tavistock AFC (1st team) (A) - k.o. 3pm

Saturday 2nd August 2008: St Dominick (A) - k.o. 3pm

Wednesday 6th August 2008: Millbrook (H) - k.o. 6.45pm

Saturday 9th August 2008: Plymouth Argyle XI (H) - k.o. 3pm

Our first season in the ECPL Premier Division kicks off on Saturday 16th August 2008, with the uneviable task of hosting last season's Champions Torpoint Athletic.

Come on Berey!! :clapper::clapper: :clapper:

As ECPL has stated above, result was 2-2.

This was Parkway's ECPL Div One side with I guess a sprinkling of last years SWPL players and one or two from their thirds looking to step up.

Overall it was a good game, although I had three players missing and it showed as the Parkway bench was a lot stronger than ours.

Parkway dominated the opening 20 minutes and took a deserved lead from the penalty spot. We got more into the game in the last 15 minutes of the first half and duly equalised, again from the penalty spot (Mark Wheeler).

A mix up in the Parkway defence, presented Zac Beesley with an easy tap in to send us into the break with a 2-1 lead, although once changes were made in the 2nd half, Parkway again took control and grabbed their leveller albeit in fortunate circumstances with an OG from a driven LW cross.

On the basis of what I saw from Parkway tonight, they will be a welcome addition to the ECPL and will be one of the favourites in Div One.

IMO we have maintained our fighting spirit from last season but have a few problems at RB and up front and overall are little short in in terms of strength in depth for our first crack at premiership level....but hey, that's what the friendlies are all about.

Plenty of work over the next two or three weeks on the training ground also required.

Thursday 24th July 2008:

Walkhampton 1 Bere Alston United 5

Bere Alston's goals came from Dan Follett (4) and Zac Beesley.

Next up for Bere Alston is the short trip to local neighbours Tavistock AFC to take on their Peninsula League team this Saturday 26th July 2008 (k.o. 3pm)

Saturday 26th July 2008:

Tavistock (SWPL) 2 Bere Alston United 0

Did well to frustrate a full strength Tavistock (SWPL) team for all of 68 minutes, then succumbed to two Shane Krac goals in the the space of five minutes.

Had enough chances ourselves to have nicked a draw, but overall a good game and useful workout for both teams.

Despite the defeat, We will probably take more plusses from the game than Tavy.

Kev,

It was a fantastic workout for us and I thought your lot were superb. However, just to put the record straight it was not a full strength Tavistock side as we had no Ryan Honey, Lee Coxon, Mike Southgate, Jimmy Steer or Nigel Pugh.

Apart from that we have got a tremendous amount from today's game.

Good lucl for the new season.

I think you forgot to mention there was 5 2nd team players( thanks southy for giving them a run out)playing and you had hobbo up front!!!!!!!! :P

Forgive me if I'm wrong, but Tavy's starting line up yesterday was something like this:

Andy Meeds

Mike Arscott

Chris Short

Matt David

Lee Bevan

Shane Krac

Will Stringer

Dave Hallett

Paul Cowling

Adam Carter

Mark Conday

With the exception of Paul Cowling and possibly Adam Carter, wasn't that Tavy's starting XI aganst Crystal Palace?

Of the five 2nd team players mentioned only Paul Cowling started and the other four only came on for the last 15 minutes when it was 2-0.

Let's just say, as stated prevously, it was a good game, played in a good spirit and both sides have to be commended for putting on such a good display in blazing hot conditions.

i dont think pway had any of their SWPL players in their squad on tuesday

Mark C

You are correct, parkway had no SWPL Players in there squad on tuesday..i should know because i play for them..although we did have 2 players (new signings) who were playing for SWPL clubs last season.

All good, clean, friendly fun Gats, plus the usual banter of course :P

Likewise.....See you on the 20th August.....Looking forward to it.....it should be another good one :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Nice one Kev have a good season mate :drink:

• 2 weeks later...

St Anne's Chapel 0 Bere Alston United 4

Scorers: Follett, Beesley, Curtis and Connelly

Arranged at the last minute to keep things ticking over instead of training before our first league game against Torpoint on Saturday.

Useful workout and a decent performance on an awful pitch (too much grass and mountainous slope), but thanks to the St Anne's lads for agreeing to the fixture at short notice and referee Pete Sowden who was only asked to take the game on Monday night.