Cornwall Football Forum

St Austell BIG RUMOURS

Guest Phil H

I would remind "ECPL" that as a feeder league they cannot take a club "who has not withdrawn correctly and applied correctly"

The ECPL are as I understand it having some difficulty with the concept of this rule and its relationships with other feeder leagues on the other side of the tamar river, I would guess they would be well advised not to fall out with more than 1 league at a time !

Phil H

Guest Phil H

Hi Mike

If they had wanted to join the ECPL they should have resigned from the SWPL correctly in accordance with the rules and then they could have applied to join that league.

I must say though that I have had some conversations with several people at St Austell over the past few days and not one of those people have said anything about leaving, rather they were generally full of remorse and apologies for any embarrasement caused to the SWPL by their non-fulfilling of last Saturdays fixture.

So I must ask the question - "Who actually started this rumour ?"

There is one rule which you are absolutely right about Phil H and that is the correct procedure of intention of withdrawal by a club by the previous 31st December. Unfortunately there is another which in my view would be called unforeseen circumstances. This could be anything from a severe financial problem which means a club cannot continue to pay players expenses or indeed cannot function as a club at that level. Management problems, lack of players etc. These are just a few reasons why a club and not necessarily St Austell FC may find it impossible to continue at their current level. Yes the league can apply a fine for failing to give notice of withdrawal by 31st December. But what would that solve.

Unfortunately the club in question looked very much like one of the favourites for relegation at the end of the season as at 31st December. But it wasn't until a month or so ago that the league were ordered (perhaps not the right word) by the FA to increase its member numbers. Which meant that the SWPL decided that no club would be relegated at the end of this season. This would put any struggling club in a quandary as this news has come way to late for a club who may have thought they were going down anyway to find they now wouldn't be.

It is possible that some members of the club would like to stay in the SWPL. Good luck to them. Unfortunately when people speak to me and say all is not well the last thing I am going to do is come on here and announce their names especially when they don’t want me to. That is why I asked the question ‘Is all not well there? Can anyone confirm or deny.

If the rumours are unfounded or even worse malicious gossip then so be it. I have not come on here to become an anti St Austell FC person, or have I been given a loaded gun to fire the bullets - I don’t think so, at least I hope not. All I have done is ask the question, no more, no less.

Perhaps Phil H can come on and advise the SWPL thinking under the circumstances I laid out above. And that can apply to any club.

Hope the rumour didn't start with me! In another thread I posted about the possibility of dropping down a league. This was just a thought I was discussing and did not come from the club. I'd like to confirm that I'm not officially connected with the club - I'm just a concerned supporter!

The rumours are completely unfounded and as a committee member and the person who takes the minutes i am in a good position to comment. Not at any stage have we discussed withdrawing from the league and were very relieved with the restructuring of the league as we are fully committed to the peninsula league. Off the field the club is in its strongest position for a number of years and are hoping to be a lot more competative on the field next season. Financially we are not well off and we are in the process of sorting out previous debts. We have a new 30 year lease and are at quite an advanced stage with redevelopment plans. At the moment we are in the hands of Restormel council as to whether this gets the go ahead. Hopefully this should put an end to any more rumours.

as far as i can gather as a committee member there has been no talk of dropping down a league or anything of that sort but of looking forward to good and bright futre.with the committee and especially chairman who is putting some hard work in we are all looking to the next few months and the beginning of next season.

This would put any struggling club in a quandary as this news has come way to late for a club who may have thought they were going down anyway to find they now wouldn't be.

Good point ECPL, but it would appear in the case of St Austell that they never had any intention of joining your league!

neil & kellow - it's good to hear from committee members and I'm pleased to hear that the club is in improving health. I was just a bit despondent over the end of the season.

I'm delighted to hear that St Austell will remain in the Peninsula League and are hoping to be more competitive next season.

I've spoken to Daryl a few times and can't fault his enthusiasm and dedication to the club in extremely difficult circumstances.

Hopefully I'm speaking for all St Austell fans when I say thanks to him and the entire committee for keeping football alive in our town. Sometimes it's looked like mission impossible, but you've done a magic job!

This would put any struggling club in a quandary as this news has come way to late for a club who may have thought they were going down anyway to find they now wouldn't be.

Good point ECPL, but it would appear in the case of St Austell that they never had any intention of joining your league!

Funny that Dopey D as i know someone at St Austell and they are saying differently. They say that ECPL have admitted they will be obliged to accept them into their league. Also there is some financial incentives being talked over. :drink:

Guest Phil H

Dear "ECPL" My position as Secretary is very much as a "guardian of the league rules" agreed and accepted by each club, and dare I say it agreed by the feeder leagues as part of the pyramid of football.

It would not be for me to have any fear or favour when imposing rules certain rules for 1 club and not for others or treating any 1 rule as more or less to be enforced as another, nor would I suspect any club wish me to have.

I think the fact that St Austell people have come on hear and confirmed that withdrawal was NEVER mentioned to the SWPL, not by 31st December, no by 31st March not even after the events of last weekend, speaks volumes.

Now excuse me for being sneaky but are you not going to defend yourself from my 2nd point that you are having a dissagreement with a different league about clubs having given the correct withdrawal ???

This may seem a bit odd Dave Deacon, but if St Austell had ended up being relegated (before the league knew it was expanding), where on earth would they have gone The Combo.

Guest Phil H

"If" St Austell were relegated they would go to the ECPL whether you were expanding or not and you would have had to relegate at the bottom end if necessary to make room for them.

The National League System Regulations cover all this and more.

You have completely lost me on that one Phil H. I appreciate you are treated on high as the 'Guardian of the league rules' and then you went walkabout. I also didn't say the club had approached the league by either date so I am not sure what you meant there. In any case you didn't answer what was a general question regarding a club having to withdraw from the league at the end of the season due to certain circumstances say beyond their control.

Your last point intrigues me. I assume you mean the three clubs or is it four expecting to move from the Plymouth & West Devon League. Only they will know if they have followed the correct procedure. And I am sure that the P&WDL will try everything in their power to keep those clubs within their league. Unfortunately you and I and everyone else knows that if those clubs were to leave that league then it will become a truly park league. And you know that will not be acceptable to the Peninsula League even though the P&WDL forms part of the pyramid with entry to your league.

I missed your last post. You are quite right that is why I questioned Dave Deacons post because the ECPL was the only league they could join.

Guest Postie Pidge

rumour is former truro city manager dave leonard is taking over the reigns at Poltair Park??

As well as Saltash, Falmouth, St Blazey and Tiverton!

Guest Dermot

And the Spar shop on Chester Road in Newquay. ;0) :clapper:

Joking apart,i hope St Austell get everything sorted out as its not good for all of Cornish football if a famous old club goes down through the leagues.