Cornwall Football Forum

Throgmorton Cup Final Result

Congratulations to Bdomin who thoruoghly deserved their victory on the day. I don't think either side played as well as they could and playing our 3rd game in 5 days seem to take a toll on some of our players.

However, no excuses the better side on the day won.

I would also like to say a big thank you to everyone at Torpoint for their kind and generous hospitality and also to the league cup sponsor Mr Throgmorton who was very generous to both sides and provided two magnificent trophies.

Guest plainmoor

"Lord Nelson! Lord Beaverbrook! Sir Winston Churchill! Sir Anthony Eden! Clement Attlee! Henry Cooper! Lady Diana! Maggie Thatcher! Can you hear me? Maggie Thatcher! CCFA, Your boys took a hell of a beating! Your boys took a hell of a beating!"

Intersesting to note that the two cups competed for in the first year of this new league were referee'd by refs from Devon the Cornish boys didn't get a look in, does this say something about Cornish refs? as the quote says CCFA your boys have took one hell of a beating this season.

Devon refs are the best

Guest plainmoor

Devon refs are the best

I'm trying to decide whether this is something to be proud of or not! :D

`Quote`

Devon Refs are the best. ;0( :(

Proud for the Devon boys, two cup matches competed for at the begining and the end of the season both ref'd by refs from this side of the Tamar, as I said Devon refs are best, do you really think that cornish refs are going to get both finals next season? with the amount of slagging off they get on this site I doubt that there will be any left to referee come next season.

• 2 weeks later...

Well done to Bodmin in the leagues inaugaral season in doing the double - especially as with any successful side ythey have had a full fixture list and apparantly so have Tavistock in recent days.

However i must take issue with the comment that Devon Refs are best.

In our first season in the SWPL my own personal opinion is that the referees that have come from north of the border have not been very good at all.

some have been quite good but generally they lack maturity

They may be class 4 but are too quick to punish a situation of their own making.

They seem unable to deal with the physical side of the game and as a consequence when situations arise through their lack of control they are very quick to punish the inevitable afternath - verbal or physical.

Too often i have witnessed no action against obvious repeated bad tackles but should a player speak out of turn to protest against no protection the cards are very quickly flourished.

This seems to be less prevelant when officiated by Cornish referees - who appear to have had to work harder to achieve class 4 status

as i said - it is my opinion

Guest Peppermint

Plainmoor's quote about Devon referees are best is absolute nonsense.

I doubt very much if Devon possesses a better referee than Jim McCaffery and surely the officiating of finals should be shared around.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Urban Spaceman

if devon refs are the best why didnt the best ref in the league steve annis from HELSTON get the cup final gig?