Cornwall Football Forum

St Austell fail to fulfil fixture at Vospers!

I might be wrong but isn't this the rearranged fixture due to the last match having no referee.

Of course the SWPL could chuck them out of the league so they can play at their proper level in the ECPL

Certainly the initial thought is that the league is just being laughed at. St Austell would appear to have not been fussed because although they are seven points adrift at the bottom of the table, relegation is not a fear. So then, why bother!

I hope I am wrong, but what should the league do? Is expelling them too severe? A few seasons ago, they were reprieved when on the brink of being thrown out of the South Western League. Well with their situation still being pretty dire, perhaps they should step down and allow one of the other clubs who are showing ambition to take over.

A agree Dave they are obviously having severe problems and quite frankly I don't think the local MP is going to want to waste any time on them now. They should do the decent thing and step down to the ECPL and start again.

That's the points settled then, confirmed by the table below that the unusual move of giving and deducting has been done!

WADEBRIDGE TOWN 30 23 4 3 74 31 43 73

PORTHLEVEN 30 22 5 3 98 30 68 71

MOUSEHOLE 30 14 9 7 66 58 8 51

CAMELFORD 30 14 8 8 63 50 13 50

PENRYN ATHLETIC 30 12 11 7 66 40 26 47

NEWQUAY 30 15 2 13 70 49 21 47

HAYLE 30 11 11 8 53 39 14 44

DOBWALLS 30 14 2 14 71 59 12 44

VOSPERS OAK VILLA* 29 12 5 12 47 48 -1 43

FOXHOLE STARS 30 13 2 15 62 68 -6 41

PENZANCE 30 11 7 12 57 62 -5 40

MILLBROOK 30 10 8 12 52 48 4 38

WENDRON UNITED 30 8 7 15 43 63 -20 31

CALLINGTON TOWN 29 7 2 20 48 75 -27 23

GOONHAVERN 30 4 6 20 34 99 -65 18

ST AUSTELL* 30 3 3 24 28 113 -85 8

But I wonder if any further punishment will be given to St Austell?

Speaking as one of St Austell's few supporters, I wouldn't grumble if they took a step down. They don't have a club at the moment capable of competing at this level and this has been the case for a long time.

Something drastic needs to happen, otherwise the club is looking at extinction. I don't think the idea that St Austell are laughing at the league is correct. They have a small committee with dedicated members who have been struggling against the odds for quite a while now, and things don't look like changing if they stay in the league. I think the fact that the club is still around at all is an amazing achievement.

Starting again in a lower league sounds like common sense to me.

Surprised that Andy let this situation develop, surely with 2 Teams Town could have found enough to fulfill the fixture.

It's a long haul back if you drop down, so that may not be the best advice.No-one is enjoying what is happening to our local rivals, get it sorted.

surely with 2 Teams Town could have found enough to fulfill the fixture.

How many times have we said that a club with more than one team should not have a problem raising 14 players to complete a fixture!

We ignore the following that if the "second team" players were not signed on by the league's closing date - no good, and, in any case sadly it is quite often the case that "second team" players don't want to play for the firsts anyway.

Quite often it is two separate clubs within one!

No, sometimes it's no easier when you have two teams - as St Blazey found out when they failed to fulfil a fixture a few seasons back in the East Cornwall League - if I remember rightly, that cost the team relegation!

I understand that the 2nd Team in Town gets the better treatment there.

Sadly this confirms that it doesn't matter what standard of football you are playing ..... everyone prefers a winning, successful side rather than a side going nowhere!

St Austell's "second team" maybe champions of their division - but it's only Division Five of the Duchy League. Apologies to those involved - but what must the standard at that level be like? While the "first team" have entered a new league with new aspirations and because they have struggled from basically the start of the season, very few care or want to know or help.

I loosely use the terms first and second teams as obviously, they aren't really!

As we all know St Austell have been struggling now for a number of seasons, for all sorts of reasons. People who were keen to help, both on and off the pitch, have come and gone and I always feel a little sorry for the club when you see these people now supporting others.

Much that it won't be easy to return, perhaps it is time for the club to move out of Senior football and try and re-group. What's the point in flogging a dead horse? The town the size of St Austell, an area that years ago was the hotbed of Cornish football, seems to have a real problem trying to run a Senior set-up!

As a St Austell second team player I would like to comment that the club did not postpone this game on purpose.As for us having two teams a first and second team in recent weeks since our second team season came to an end players have helped out for the first team and doing very well too. If more of the second team were signed on by the deadline date passed then perhaps the fixture would of gone ahead yesterday even if there was a bare 11 as St Austell do not want to be losing points and being handed fines. As a committee member also we are all glad that this horrific season has come to an end and that we are really looking to build for a good season next season being in the same league and not dropping down a division. Yesterday was a sad day for St Austell not being able to fullfill a fixture. Lets look to the future with it being a brighter one too..

As someone who was brought up in St Austell it's sad to see the club struggling.

I was there on Wednesday evening to watch the Millbrook match and there appeared to be as many supporters and committee members as many other Div 1 clubs I've visited this season.

The club has committed people but, in my humble opinion, the fact it's an 'open' park pitch with very old and tired facilities is the root of the problem. It just doesn't feel like a club anymore, just a team playing at a pitch. The only thing that could put that right is money to freshen things up again and money, or lack of it, is something we've discussed about Div One level on other threads in the past few weeks.

As a St Austell second team player I would like to comment that the club did not postpone this game on purpose.

So why was it not played?

As a committee member also we are all glad that this horrific season has come to an end and that we are really looking to build for a good season next season being in the same league and not dropping down a division. Yesterday was a sad day for St Austell not being able to fullfill a fixture. Lets look to the future with it being a brighter one too.

Sadly though to the outside, this St Austell season is no more horrific than many others over the past two decades or so. The big question must therefore be, what can the club get in place, in the next few weeks not months, to suggest next season is going to be any better?

It seems as if Town may have been able to fulfil the fixture if they had been able to sign on some players after the deadline. I can understand the need for a transfer deadline, but what exactly is the point of a registration deadline? How many other local leagues have a registration deadline?

Guest Phil H

Club Secretaries were informed that registrations (not transfers) could be made after the 31st march deadline, - several clubs have taken advantage of this. Nobody from St Austell contacted the league until 11.45am on matchday and by that time it was far too late to allow players to be signed on.