Cornwall Football Forum

Millbrook Manager

Guest thebigfella

Millbrook withdrew from the ECPL as I understand it.

I have some questions:

1. When is the closing date for applications for the vacant manager's position?

2. Is it too late to make an application to put a Millbrook Res side in ECL Div 1?

3. Is Dane intending to continue with the U18s if he is unsuccessful with his own application?

4. Is there a First Team budget?

5. Is there enough in the budget to cover away travel?

6. Do Millbrook have a groundsman?

7. Why did Mark Jones 'resign'?

8. What are the Millbrook Committee expectations and/or ambitions?

Just some thoughts... :unsure:

Lots of questions.

Millbrooks Reserves finished 20th out of 20 at the end of the 2002-3 ECPL season. I think in those days you could be re-elected but I understand the club decided not to apply.

As far as making application to join the ECPL is concerned, clubs can apply right up to the date of the AGM although they would like the application in by the date of the SGM.

Millbrook do not have a recognised reserve team anyway and may choose to take the Camelford route. Saying that there is an FA ruling saying that if Millbrook SWPL side want to drop down they would automatically go into the ECPL Premier Division

By the way the SGM advised as being on Wednesday 21st May also at St Blazey FC is now being changed to possibly the 28th June due to the European Championship final between Manchester United and Chelsea being played on the same day. The new date and venue has yet to be confirmed.

I also understand applications by reserve teams of the SWPL would be looked on favourably in the event of them wishing to apply to join the ECPL due to their facilities already being passed to play in the SWPL . If Plymouth Parkway Reserves, Plymstock Reserves and Elburton Villa Reserves are accepted that would leave one place to fill.

Are Millbrook actually accepting applications for the vacant managers post? Everyone seems to think its a one horse race!! Also what a great suggestion to apply to the ECPL - possibly taking the U18 squad to see how well they cope in "mens" football. Obviously with the right managers at both SWPL level and ECPL level, the two could work together, bringing the best players from the second team into the first. Lets not forget these so called youngsters have years of learning and maturing as players and to start in a second team with the prospect of reaching the first team is a goal in itself. Yes it would also be a good test for these players to see how well they do in the SWPL, but jumping too quick could become very costly.

There are of course plenty of SWPL teams with their reserves in the ECPL, which is a good grounding for many of the clubs youth players to start out in mens football.

Torpoint are a fine example with several of the ECPL Premier Champions elect coming from their U18 squad.

In Div One, the best footballing side we have played were St Blazey Res, who also boasted a fine crop of young talent, with the potential of making it into the SWPL team.

My only concern for Millbrook's youngsters, without a recognised reserve team is that Bude Town in ECPL Div One have often fielded several of their successful U18 squad, that beat Millbrook U18's last week, yet despite playing some very good football at times are way off the pace in mid table in Div One and have found it hard going playing regularly week in week out in men's football.

No doubt, Dane or whoever takes over would have thought this through long and hard and have plans for utilising Dane's talented U18 squad......Good Luck to them.

Guest MR A

I think we must remember that this is not a 1 horse race , and where is it set in stone that dane has even applyed ?????? everyone is just assuming

• 2 weeks later...

Bigfella - heard there was No budget - not even for away travel. Gonna be pretty hard to attract the sort of players that will improve the team from last season. And surely if the nucleus of ther U18 side are as good as people are saying then most will be lured away by the prospect of a few bob else where!!

Guest MR A

I have heard that there is no money at all for match fee's but money will be distrabuted in other ways , incidently the u18's came runners up in the league and cornwall cup this season. So i think people may be over-rating them a little. but they certainly have some good individuals

Guest MR A

I read both but cant remember which one it was the cornish times or guardian, That Dane Bunney has been mentioned again , his name certainly is hanging around this position. Have the bookies stopped taking bets on him being appointed yet?:P

Guest betti1

An announcement will be made after the Presentation Night which is next Saturday. The Chairman is not very happy with the comments made in this weeks Cornish Times by a member of the press-can't say too much at present but a statement will be issued next week probably on this website-at least then it will be the truth.

Perhaps now is a good time to include a letter received from the Millbrook Chairman via the Independent who I write for. I have not included it in my column in the paper, as Mr Hyslop was actually responding to something that appeared on this forum. It's therefore more suitable to be included on here, rather than anywhere else.

If you need reminding about anything commented earlier, I suggest you scroll back to the top of this topic. I received the following around about the 20th April.....

"Dear Dave

I am writing to you to put the record straight regarding your "chats" on the website regarding my club Millbrook.

1) Your remarks of Mark Jones "unaware of being ousted". Mark has not been ousted from Millbrook. Mark was informed at a meeting he attended that his budget would be severely cut for the next season. He then informed us that he would like a few weeks to think it over and he would inform us if he was to carry on. A meeting took place on 15th April at which time Mark confirmed to us he will not wish to be manager at Millbrook next season. Mark has left (or will leave) with no ill feeling between himself and my club and we also have no axe to grind with Mark.

2) Your comment "Who would be a manager when it would appear your own club can't be straight with you" has been taken as a slur against my club and myself personally. I am not on the internet or website so have not been able to respond to all the talk until my attention was brought to it by a friend of mine. I can assure you that Mark has been consulted and has been present at every meeting regarding our future and we have hidden nothing from him. Maybe an apology to my club in your column would put an end to this rather sad affair and if there are further things you would like to know wouldn't it be better to contact the Chairman of the club instead of going on the web.

Yours faithfully,

Murray Hyslop

Chairman, Millbrook F C"

Obviously I would like to put at ease anyone who feels they have been personally offended. I certainly never intended that, and I hope Mr Hyslop's friend reports back accordingly.

However, all I would say is that I had leaked to me that Mark Jones would not be the manager at Millbrook next season quite a while before all this came out public. Perhaps the club might like to plug the leak they have got at committee level. Or was it leaked to me on purpose - we will never know for sure!

Whatever, good luck to Millbrook next season - whoever is the new manager.

Guest betti1

Dear Dave

Thanks for your comments and I will pass them onto Murray. You are quite right, there has been someone who supposedly 'had Millbrooks interest at heart' but couldn't wait to stir things up, we know who it is now.

We all wish Mark and Dave well in whatever they do and thank you for your well wishes.

Running a club is hard work as everyone involved knows, all done voluntarily and none of us are getting any younger, we should all celebrate our achievements however great or small and whichever club we represent. Good luck to everyone next season and particularly the new Millbrook manager.

Guest thebigfella

If Dane Bunney has got it then fair play to him and the very best of luck. I would however be a little suprised.

Guest keano

i agree , cant believe this thread has had 72 replys , i was led to believe that no-one was interested in millbrook anymore , lol

And just to put an end to the speculation i have now been confirmed as manager. The club are making a formal annoucment this week