Cornwall Football Forum

Millbrook Manager

I was reading the Dave Deacon column in the Indy where he mentions the Millbrook job for next season.

Well a little bird tells me that job has already gone to some bloke called Bunney who runs the over 18s over there.

The thing is Mark Jones does not yet know as this chap called Bunney has been given a 5 year plan.

The word on the street is he is taking his under 18 squad up a level well what a surprize they will get as I dont think people quite understand the vast difference between the leagues.

Lets hope they dont have to play Porthleven as their first game.

I was reading the Dave Deacon column in the Indy where he mentions the Millbrook job for next season.

Just to clarify things, this was quoted as one of a few rumours beginning to hit the ground at this time of the season. If anyone heard Mark Jones talking to me yesterday on the radio half-hour slot, it would appear he is unaware of being ousted!

I think Mark (and Dave) are well aware of the issues.

Obviously money drives the Peninsula premier division but I suspect it's going to cause big problems over the next few seasons in east and west divisions where clubs have to live within their means.

A look at the 'crowd' figures for east and west divisions show that in many cases it's not even enough to pay the referees. Paying players expenses needs a bar taking lots of money or a very benevolent sponsor.

We need to remember that this is Step 7 of the pyramid not the Premiership.

Paying players expenses needs a bar taking lots of money or a very benevolent sponsor.

I think you're not totally spot on there Andy and are confusing two different issues.

A sponsor is the start towards arranging an affordable football budget. then you factor in programme adverts, pitchside boards, catering, 50/50, post match raffle etc. Theres your football sorted.

The club is a seperate issue (here anyway). Theres staff wages, rates, elec/water bills etc. As a well supported club (ECPL 40 -50 gate, SWPL 100 ish) running two senior and one duchy sides we know that we can fill the bar on a Saturday afternoon (as Dave Deacon will testify). That bar take keeps the club house open and enables us to provide the facilities to allow senior football to take place.

Without being too disrespectful to Millbrook, if only a dozen turn up to watch, you aren't going to take enough on the gate to pay the officials, and the bar isnt going to take enough money to pay the bills.

What you are right about is a benefector, a lot of clubs only win things because of an individuals generosity.

I'm proud to be associated with a club that runs on a well organised budget, and doesn't spend money that isn't coming through the gate.

Imp

Yes I probably didn't use the right terminology.

But, in effect, you've re-inforced the point. There will be a financial 'gulf - over the top perhaps - between the Premier division and the East and West and, in most cases, despite the hard work of committees around the county, that will be very difficult to close just from the gate, raffles, ads etc.

Have to say well done to Torpoint this season - probably one of the surprise packages of the first SWPL season. Hang on though, won't I get shot for that as a Millbrook follower? :D

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah great win for them but at the end of the day they're 5th from bottom which is the league position they obtained in the old south western league which is of a considerably higher standard than swpl west. A clear indication that the team have gone backwards playing in a worse league. Also how can the board justify paying a top 5 budget and the team is bottom 5?? The situation looks even worse when teams like Dobwalls and Mousehole have had good seasons on no budget at all, all credit to them. As for the new manager, I agree it would be foolish not to consider applications, if the rumour is true, that the U18s manager has already got it. Not sure how a group of U18s could improve the situation but who knows???

Andy

I know Mark and Dave have resigned but a lot of the other stuff that's been written is speculation. The old saying 'by mutual consent' is often used to hide a lot but in this case I think it's a fair reflection of the situation. As I've said before much of it comes down to a realistic assessment of the budget that can be supported at Div One E&W level.

I think Seagull will agree that the way they played at Mousehole on Saturday showed what Millbrook are capable of. True, I think Mousehole had a bad day at the office, but the Millbrook win was well deserved.

Mark and Dave actually resigned earlier last week, well before the match but I understand will continue 'til the end of the season - another strange twist I suppose in this 'funny old game'.

It is a shame because both Mark and Dave are top guys and its a good bunch of lads there with a lot of young talented players and I think people will see that when some of the boys move up to premier sides which I know for fact is a certainty. It was always going to be difficult for them this year losing so many good players to Wadebridge, Parkway and Ivybridge last summer which showed the potential the team had, but unfortunately a lot of good young players just couldn't play as a team last year and it looks to be the same case this season.

Best of luck to Mark and Dave in the future though

Millbrook more than deserved their victory on Saturday...we were no match for them on the day. Just chatting with Darren (assistant manager) just now and we cant remember a time in the 8 years in charge , where each and every player has a "bad day at the office" It happened...and hopefully wont happen again in a hurry.

The lad who played wide right (they called him Dennis?) had an outstanding day...even if we did make life easy for him.

Having heard lots of good things about the U18s I see no reason why they can't do well if they hold on to their best players and add some more experienced players. I think it depends what direction the club want to go in. Do they want to build a base of young players that are going to mature at the club but will probably take a couple seasons to get near the top of the league or hand the managers job to a more experience manager who can instantly bring in some reasonably experienced quality players which may have instant impact???

Cheers Andy!!!

I think it is unfortunate that for whatever reason Millbrook cannot buy a supporter. They have all the facilities. A decent pitch if tended properly, floodlights, a grandstand and a clubhouse. What they don't have is money. They may be just a spit from Plymouth but it is a very small town with no money. It is also too far for people to drive too once they cross the ferry. I understand the secretary is also standing down at the end of the season.

People often criticise and ridicule clubs for lack of support etc, or why are they not putting in the money. Unfortunately Millbrook will never have a good team unless money from somewhere is put in to the club.

They used to have a team in the ECPL and every Christmas and Easter the first team would play at home and the second team away against Torpoint Athletic and vice versa the following year. They made an awful lot of money in those games. But dumping their second team to rely on their first team has just not worked financially. I think I am right in saying that the pitch was rented out to Maker with Rame but nobody used the bar. And I think it’s the same this season with Edgecomb and they don't support the bar either.

Clubs know that it is very, very difficult these days to keep the tills ticking over which helps fund the team. Millbrook are no different. Perhaps bringing in the youngsters with their manager may be a good thing, but a club needs support and it is a shame when they don’t get it.

I think Millbrook have gone past the call of duty this season in regards money. They have had a budget on a par with some premier teams and have not had a good return. Its no wonder they dont get anyone in to watch . Why would people want to spend a saturday afternoon watching poor boring hoof ball football . im sure what ever millbrook decide to do they will give the new manager/team as much backing as they can. As for the u18's are they any good? are these players going to be able to handle so much responsibility ?

as for your questions are the under u18s any good?

they are in the cornwall county cup final this sunday and are top of the DJm u18s top league, a few of their players already play mens two of which play for plymouth parkway 2nds and have sneaked into the firsts on occasions, these two have alos played for cornwall and devon this season and should do next.

does that help towards answering your questions on the youth team?

Yes but the DJM U18s is a notoriously bad standard although in fairness, reaching the county cup final is a good achievement. Why weren't they entered into the Devon and Exeter league which, a few years ago, was the place to be if you wanted to play a good standard of junior football and is where many of the boys released from pro clubs in Devon ended up before moving on to senior mens football. Funnily enough it was Mark Jones a few years back who guided a young millbrook side to second in that division, missing out only on goal difference.

Guest keano

the devon and exeter youth league did not run this season due to lack of interest, only 4 clubs did infact enquire , millbrook were one of them

I believe the two U18's in question are Lewis Young and Ryan Hammond, who currently play for Parkway 2nds in the P & D Premier League, but have applied to go inot the ECPL.

My only doubt with these two and any others in the U18 team like Tom Cross is that with no relegation from the SWPL Div One West and therefore nothing really to play for, should some of these lads be given a chance to see how they would cope at senior level in readiness for next season.

If they are good enough.

Arguably that could be why the two best U18 players aren't playing for Millbrook at the moment because the youth team players haven't been given a chance to prove themselves.

with 2 games to go in the season the first team manager is hardly going to look at them now if he hasnt all season , im led to believe that cross has made a few apperances meanwhile adam casey has been a regular .

whatever the ins and outs it looks like a interesting few weeks ahead for millbrook. good luck to mark and dave , also to the youth team on sunday will try and get there to see the game

i dont know ryan and lewis personally i here there names alot, and i do not know if millbrook will be able to keep them as they are regulars in the parkway starting line up and niether have been called up for millbrook themselves. however with a new manager ready to use the youngsters who knows what the future holds!

Guest thebigfella

I'd be very suprised if Millbrook handed the job to Dane Bunney. He has had no experience at adult level and was very fortunate to have 'inherited' a talented group of players. Granted, reaching the County Cup Final is an achievment in itself, but winning the DJM U18 League is nothing to write home about - it's very poor indeed.

I have seen his side play on 3 occasions this season and there are inded a handful of players who impressed me. But let's not wet our pants here - they're kids and I would have severe reservations about Dane attracting the necessary 'senior' players to suppliment such an inexperienced squad. In all honesty, that side ran itself!! There was no need to 'coach' the players. No need to make tactical changes. Just get the players there, pick a team, and away you go boys!

I know of two people who have sent a CV to Millbrook and their experience, contacts, football knowledge and track record would beat that of Dane Bunney hands down. With Millbrook being one of my former clubs, albeit for a reletively short spell, I would be disappointed if they were so short-sighted.

In my opinion, their first priority should be to address the Reserves situation. I fail to see how ANY club can opperate effectively at any level without a reserve side. Maybe they should have used the current U18s as a reserve side... or maybe there's a reason they didn't!

Don't get me wrong, Dane's a nice lad, but he's not SWPL management material by any stretch of the imagination.

1. Appoint a Manager with experience, contacts and a long-term plan

2. Develop a sensible financial structure - with no hidden agendas!

3. Address the reserve team situation

4. Ensure continuity of a Youth team(s)...

5. Get some money in the door!

bigfella

I think your being a little harsh on the way dane has run the u18's this season. There has been lots of times where he has had to move people about , change the formation etc etc . rathbone semi vs Truro stands out , granted he has no experince at running a swpl team , but people have to start somewhere and if the club are happy with the plans he has and how he has performed this season then why not give him a chance.

I also know Dane and know that he does infact know alot of people in the game and does have some good contacts , He comes from the same family as the cusack brothers for a start so i know he mixs in good circles plus it would make a refreshing change for a club to give a young guy the chance to show what he can do .

Guest thebigfella

Fair play. I read my post through again and it did sound pretty harsh. I still happen to think he'll struggle at that level, particularly with some senior players.

Mark C - You're wrong mate. I know Dane and I happen to think he's a very decent chap. My opinions are purely football related.

Guest keano

bigfella

id be interested to know what games you have been to this season , as there has been few games yes where i dont have a great amount to do apart from pick a suitable formation and team and send them out , but these i have to say have been few and far between and only really happen when playing the sides who are down the bottom of the league.

I happen to think overall the league has been very competitive with plymstock ourselfs , torpoint, elburton villa all with decent sides . and as my players are a year younger than most other teams in the league i would say winning this league will be a fine achievment. There has been games where i have had to make changes and yes sometimes i have made mistakes in what i have done , but i think overall most of the time any changes i have made during the match or tactical switchs have payed off .

Guest thebigfella

Hi Dane,

In all fairness I probably saw your worst 3 performances of the season by the looks of it. I watched your side at Plymstock, Tamarside and Elburton Villa and I don't think you played particularly well in either of them.

Like I said, having read my post again, it does come across a little harsh and I apologise for that. It came across a little personal and it was not meant that way. My main point is that there is a huge difference between the DJM U18 League and the South West Peninsula League on both the playing side, and the management side.

If you get the job, I would sincerely wish you the very best of luck but would urge you to get someone in alongside you with experience of adult football. The jump is a very very big one mate and I would doubt that many of your current squad could make the transition - not yet anyway.

Based on what I have seen which, admittedly, is only 3 games!

Guest keano

i agree about the gap bewteen standards , but trust me im not blind enough not to see that ,

yes plymstock and tamarside was poor , i thought elburton was a hard working performance. I also do plan to get someone to work next to me should i get the job, and then i will get some good quality experinced players to mix some of my youth players with and see what happens .

lol

but millbrook like you said may want to bring someone in from outside the club but we will see.

Guest thebigfella

Good luck Dane.

Incidentally, everyone seems to be talking about you winning the league but, you haven't finished yet...

Three games to go and a potential title decider against Plymstock on 11 May at Mill Park - should be a good game.

If you look at the few games where Millbrook have not been at their best, (i.e. Plymstock twice, Elburton Villa, Tamarside), these are all physically strong teams where I feel Millbrook have come off second best. That does not augur well for Dane's young lads playing in the SWPL.

Millbrook have a title decider at the end of this season at home to Plymstock, who I believe have stronger / better players like Levi Landricombe, Ross Coombes and Ross Hoyland who are already playing a high standard of men's football and are of course a year older.

I think that Plymstock will edge out Millbrook for the DJM title as proof that if they going to be out muscled and out fought by the likes of a Plymstock side who are by and large all just one year older, the transition of the whole squad into SWPL football will be too great.

By the sound of it, the current U18 side will stick together and compete in the DJM (or any other comparable U18 league) next season and if they do that, they will find it even more difficult playing twice over the weekend.

I personally went from DJM managment to senior football this season, albeit in the ECPL Div One with Bere Alston United and although I have introduced a few U18's into that league, we have got ourselves into title contention with a hardcore of decent senior players and a few better players with SWPL (and higher)experience.

Dane has done a great job with some very good young players, but if I was to offer him any advice, were he to get the 1st team job, it would be to introduce those players he feels will ultimately make the grade at SWPL level gradually during the course of his first season and like has been mentioned prevously, get a reserve team sorted out for the Duchy or P & D league where the rest of his U18's can develop.

Guest Roger

Having read the current topic that has developed into a professional and interesting debate I have to admit that I believe appointing Dane Bunney as Millbrook 1st team manager will not be any worse of a decision then the current managers of the previous season. I am in total agreement with Coach KT and Big Fella regarding the gulf in difficulty of between U18 management and SWPL management however the question must be asked as to whether this seasons current management team have been successful or not? Remember not too long back under the guidance of Roger Fice Millbrook finished 4th in the SWL. The following season they finished third in the SWL and won the Charity Cup with no fewer than 7 players under the age of 20. Yes Roger did include the experience and qualities of Richard Daley Paul Edwards and James Lynch but the rest of the squad consisted of young raw talented players who just went out and expressed themselves. Of course they strugggled during the winter months but this only made the young players more experinced the following season. Since then Millbrook has experinced some what of a decline so I like I said appointing Dane Bunney as manager as well as including the majority of his current u18 will produce better resutls than the 1st team have experinced this season. I believe that at present some of the under 18 are more talented than some of the current 1st team anyway so I say give the lad a chance. He has some good contacts who play and manage in the SWPL and I am sure they will offer him any advice he needs to get him started. I think the likes of Graeme Kirkup as assistant manager would be an excellent appointment as Dane would learn a vast amount from him. Millbrook just have to take the chance and provide this lad with an opportunity I have spoken with Dane a fews times and he seems a very realistic person and if he wasnt ready for this challenge he would remain as the Millbrook U18 for next year no doubt.

Good luck Dane and all the best

Some great comments so far and i particularly agree with the point made about the lack of a reserve team. This was an evident problem when I was at the club, especially at times when the 1st team were short or players were coming back to fitness and needed 90 minutes. But not only that, it adds to the overall structure of the club and, as mentioned above, provides a good base from which to bring youngsters through. The club does have a lot of potential and could do with a bit of a face-lift as far as changing rooms and the pitch goes but to name a few. I think if they gave the job to Dane they would hope that he would use members of his U18 side. Two seasons ago that was the idea in bringing Mark Jones in, to set up a young side on a low budget that could progress. Unfortunately, it never quite worked out like that for a number of reasons, mainly the loss of key players but i think also the club became a little impatient with that style of thinking and it was obvious their backing of the management wained. Hopefully, if Dane gets the job, things will work out better for the club and they can make strides in the right direction with a young team. I think the committee though need to think carefully about how they go about things if last season is anything to go by. From things ive heard they weren't as open with the management as they should have been. But incompetency at board level is a problem ingrained right from the head honchos at Premiership and FA level, down through to our humble leagues. But thats a whole other debate. Good luck to whoever gets it and I'm sure they'll do a good job.

I as i said above i know dane and have spoke to him a few times of late, i think his Enthusiasm is a breath of fresh air his plans for the club are very ambitious but realistic. I hope millbrook take a chance on him as i think it will be good for them and the league to have a young manager with ambitions such as danes.

I think, personally, that at this point it is important to point out that "Harris" is not actually Andy Harris, former player for Millbrook and current player for Wadebridge Town.

The posts have not been his work as anyone who knows him will testify.

As they have been well written (by his friend) and not inflammatory he is happy for the contributor to continue, however, if at any point this disucssion becomes contentious, I for one want everyone to know that this thread is in no way linked with Wadebridge Town, their players, management or commitee.

So, "Harris", keep up the good work and don't be tempted to get drawn into anything controversial.

I too, would like to go on record and say good luck to Mark and Dave in whatever you do in football next and good luck to Millbrook next season, whoever gets the job.

I think, personally, that at this point it is important to point out that "Harris" is not actually Andy Harris, former player for Millbrook and current player for Wadebridge Town.

The posts have not been his work as anyone who knows him will testify.

As they have been well written (by his friend) and not inflammatory he is happy for the contributor to continue

Stuart - I'm not sure I'm exactly comfortable with the above and so I'm making enquiries!