Cornwall Football Forum

Foxhole 3 Newquay 3

Guest RedDel

Guest RedDel

Foxhole Stars 3 Newquay AFC 3

Newquay Scorers Patrick Rushton 2, Liam Dingle 1 - Wasn't at the match but apparently Newquay came from behind twice and then Foxhole scored at the end

Foxhole 3 Newquay 3

Wednesday 23rd April 2008

Entertainment abounded in this cracking encounter as Foxhole ended their campaign by salvaging a point in stoppage time thanks to Warne's close-range effort. It was a game they should have won, however, creating the better chances but, alas, pressing the self-destruct button to gift Newquay two dreadful goals to accompany yet another debatable penalty decision by Chris Stevens.

Playing into the wind, Foxhole settled well and, after surviving an early scare when Rosevear flapped at Magee's corner and Hartigan blazed over, the Foxes took the game to the visitors, although all too often the service into the diminutive strikers was poor. Soon after Bradd got away with a clear handball in the box, the hard-working Rickard seized on a loose ball to fire past the slowly reacting keeper from 18 yards on 20 minutes.

Crane then safely gathered Holland's drive as Newquay continued to look suspect at the back but nevertheless they equalised against the run of play on 36 when Holland was adjudged to have deliberately handled a cross from the otherwise anonymous Hartigan. Rushden despatched the spot-kick but Rickard and Warne may each have soon restored the lead but the home faithful must have been confident the elements would work in their favour in the second half.

Such optimism seemed justified when Rickard ran on to Rosevear's long clearance four minutes after the restart to shoot firmly past the retreating Crane, with the Newquay defence steadfastly holding a line way too far up the pitch. Unfortunately, within seconds, woeful defending allowed Rushden to equalise again, which signalled the visitors' best spell, coinciding with the introduction of the speedy Harris.

Earlier Rowe had laughably been cautioned for moving the ball a few millimetres at a free kick, and he was joined in the book by Panter after a foul on the elusive, if lightweight, Magee, but the match was no more than nicely competitive throughout. Dingle and Rushden both went close from distance, as did Holland and Bromley at the other end, but Dingle looked to have won it on 81 when he capitalised on Grose's error to finish coolly. Foxhole threw everything forward and, after a host of striped shirts somehow collectively failed to touch home Warne's inswinging corner, and Bromley lobbed wide with Crane stranded, Warne's last-gasp leveller was the least they deserved, a fitting finale to an enthralling, up and down season.

Foxhole (4-4-2): Rob Rosevear 7; David Grose 7, Richard Fairclough 6, Jeff Dillon 6, Mark Rowe 7; Jason Warne 6, Adam Bromley 6, Steve Panter 6 (sub. Jamie Bullock 5), Adam Holland 7; Liam Nicholls 7, Carl Rickard 9.

Newquay (4-4-2): Joe Crane; Luke Rigby, Oliver Dart, Lee Bradd, Perry Harvey; Jake Hartigan (sub. Adam Weller), Jack Hunter (sub. Josh Harris), Patrick Rushden, Dan Magee; Steve Kellow, Liam Dingle.

Referee: Mr Chris Stevens (Fowey) 6.

Guest Peppermint

As much as I always enjoy your reports Darin I am at a loss to understand why you did not mention the dreadful challenge by your no.5 I think in the second half that deserved a straight red card and the referee who was very weak did absolutely nothing. It was tanamount to a physicla aault and has no place in football.

The playing surface was not condusive to pure football and it was an exciting match but I would take issue with the 6 mark for the referee because I thought he was too lenient with some of the over physical challenges of some of the players.

Guest plainmoor

Think yourselves lucky that the ref didn't want to abandon this game as well! if he lets bad tackles go then is it any wonder that players become upset?

The ref only builds a rod for his own back.

Guest plainmoor

I think you'll find that peninsula east and west is a lower level for him, he has the authority to referee at peninsula premier level. :unsure:

Guest Peppermint

In reply to Dave - I do not want to get into a slanging match but the surface at Mount Wise is now quite good and certainly the grass is very good and the groundsman has done an excellent job.I think you would admit if you came toNewquay that the laying surface has changed out of all recogonition.

I note no mention of the quite dreadful tackle!!!!

I thought the referee abdicated his responsibilty and should have acted - he certainly did at Goonhavern and decided to go home I assume the Foxhole officials et his tyres down so that he could not go home at half time!!!

Sorry my sense of humour - good luck to Foxhole and it was nice to see the Newquay legend Graham Nicholls' son playing so well for the Foxes.

I WILL COMMENT ON THE REFEREE THOUGH AS THIS IS NOT THE FIRST TIME OR THE LAST THAT HE WILL BE THE CENTRE OF CONTROVERSY - UNLIKE MOST I HAVE A LOT OF TIME FOR REFS AS THEY HAVE AN INCREDIBLY DIFFICULT JOB TO DO THAT MOST OF US WOULD NOT ENTERTAIN AND SOME OF THE ABUSE THAY TAKE ON AND OFF THE PITCH IS WELL OVER THE TOP - BUT UNFORTUNATELY REFS LIKE MR.STEVENS CAUSE A LOT OF THE PROBLEMS BY NOT CLAMPING DOWN ON THE BAD FOULS ETC BUT CONTINUALLY BOOKING PLAYERS FOR PETTY OFFENCES AND THIS DOES HAPPEN ALSO EVEN AT HIGHER LEVELS OF THE GAME BUT AT OUR LEVEL THE GUYS HAVE GOT TO GO TO WORK THE NEXT DAY AND WHILST WE WANT THE GAMES TO BE COMPETITIVE THIS IS WHERE A LOT OF REFS LOSE THE RESPECT OF THE PLAYERS. AND LEADS TO RETRIBUTION AND SOMETIMES EXCESSIVE DISSENT - YES PLAYERS HAVE TO SHOW MORE SELF DISCIPLINE BUT REFEREES NEED TO IMPROVE THEIR PERFORMANCES ALSO. AS FOR THE MATCH THOUGH IT WAS A VERY ENJOYABLE NINETY MINUTES AND A FAIR RESULT.

Guest Peppermint

Good summing up Pete - and I thought that it was a fair result and it was certainly entertaining.

Hopefully Dave you will see a good playing surface at Mount Wise next seaon and there ismore improvements in the pipelne at Newquay.

Well done to Foxhole intheir first season at this level.