Cornwall Football Forum

Official Statement 21/04/08

As with all things Truro City, the events this week have caused much conjecture. As usual most of this is scare-mongering disseminated by those who simply cannot wait for the club to fail. But I have a message for them, and equally for our ardent supporters: I won’t let Truro City fail.

Firstly I would like to express my disappointment that Dave Leonard has left the club. Dave has been a fantastic servant for the club, and I wish him all the best. His achievements at the club will never be forgotten.

Dave resigned from his post and I had no choice but to accept his decision. Everyone close to the football club knows of my respect for him and how hard I tried pursuing him originally and also in keeping him here previously. Glyn Hooper is another man who – like throughout his own football career – has distinguished himself greatly at this club and we have offered him a position within the club for next season. I am awaiting Glyn’s decision, hoping and expecting he will still be with us come next August. In the meantime Dave Newton has returned and we are hugely grateful for his help at such short notice. He is a man the players have immense respect for which was so evident on Saturday when the team unquestionably turned in their best footballing performance of the season. He will aid Chris Webb in the remaining games this season but as of yet a decision with regards to a manager for next season has yet to be made. Given all that has happened in the past week, it would be foolish to make another big decision so quickly. Nevertheless, I will be doing everything to ensure that the correct management infrastructure is in place for our first Southern League venture.

However my immediate priority since Dave announced his departure has been to ensure that the players that have brought this club all the success are still with us next season. It goes without saying that many of them were disappointed not to be going full time, and I have sympathised with them fully; it saddens me even more as I look upon them as an extension of my family. Notwithstanding their disappointment, the players fully understood the decision and the reasons behind it and showed that regardless of their ‘status’ they are true professionals anyway in the way they dealt with the two games this weekend. I sat down and talked individually with as many players as I could on Saturday, till deep into the night, and I am confident that by next Saturday when we play Frome we will have secured the signatures of those the club require for next season. I am well aware that there isn’t an endless pool of local footballers who have the capabilities of our existing squad and that is why I am putting in the utmost effort to keep as many as I can at Truro City.

I hope the above deals with any questions the fans may have about the immediate short term. Should anyone have anymore they know where I will be on Saturday! As for the long term (and much to my amusement) I have been asked recently whether I was planning on leaving the club…

As soon as I came to the club, I have heard people suggest that because of my background I am looking at the club as an investment!! I will never, ever make a return on the money I have invested in this football club and anyone that thinks otherwise is both delusional and devoid of any business acumen. My sole aim is to better this football club, and to do this the club have never made secret the fact that Treyew Road may not be a suitable base to do this from. However we will ONLY move if a new facility is one which the club, and its independent trustees, deem suitable. The money spent on this facility will far exceed any value obtained from Treyew Road, but I am unfazed by spending more of my own money to provide for the future of the club. It is only then that Truro City FC can become a self-sufficient professional football club. It is a mammoth task, but I won’t rest until WE achieve it.

Anyone that knows me – and the Truro City FC naysayer never does – will know that the doubters never bother me. I have a goal, and the club has a goal and we will achieve it no matter who wants to suggest otherwise. As I told my players on Saturday evening, each time in my life that someone or something has tried to knock me, it galvanises me and makes me only more determined. Perhaps all those who apparently love to question the club and my motives don’t realise that in doing so they are only helping me to prove them wrong. But in my heart, I am not trying to disprove anyone; I am at this football club, and I spend my own money without want of any profit, because I love this club. I am not seeking recognition or praise as there are so many great servants in football throughout Cornwall and the country who do the same because of this love, donating endless hours to support their own club. All I seek is a secure future for Truro City, and that is why the decision not to go full time was made. It is the club that comes first and my job description as Chairman is to do everything in the best interests for the club. The difficult decision not to go full time is a pertinent example.

Dave Leonard’s decision to resign coincided with the clubs decision to postpone its transformation into a fully professional club. This was a decision that was not taken lightly but one that became ever apparent was necessary as we approached D-Day. We simply do not have the infrastructure within or without the club to support such a move as this at this point in time. Whilst making this decision so late in the day was hard, I am confident it was the right one. It would be awful to consider the impact on club, players and fans if we found we had run before we could walk by being over-eager with our development and found ourselves in a similar position mid-way through the season with all the commitments having been made.

I have no doubt our decision is prudent and given us a good platform for achieving our goals. The research and preparation that has been undertaken will stand us in good stead for when we do take the step to professionalism. Indeed, where we can, we are already putting in measures to help us develop. I firmly believe that long-term success needs a solid platform from which to build. We were in danger of undermining that platform at a very early stage, but we spotted that danger and took steps to re-establish our solid base.

Indeed, I note one venue has suggested their facilities are available despite telling us otherwise recently. I will be taking them to task on this and should they provide us with a suitable contract, I will sign it there and then to ensure everything is in place for this club. The lack of suitable facilities for ourselves and other local clubs is consistently apparent, and remains an issue close to my heart. Only this weekend my son’s football training was cancelled because the usual astro-turf was unavailable.

I would like to take this opportunity to again express my continued thanks to the fantastic supporters of the football club. Equally I apologise that I have been unable to provide comment sooner but everyone at the club has been fully focussed on the games this weekend and ensuring we have a squad to be proud of again next season.

And of that I am sure we will, a squad befitting this football club and its expectations. Throughout this journey there will be more bumps, twists and turns; that is football. What will remain constant though is my desire for Truro City FC to succeed and nothing will ever quell that.

Never Say Never.

Kevin Heaney

Truro City FC Chairman

21 April 2008 | 16:57:52

Interesting quote.

'He is a man the players have immense respect for which was so evident on Saturday when the team unquestionably turned in their best footballing performance of the season'.

They were playing at Odd Down (Bath) who are bottom of the league and have let in over 100 goals this season.

AN EXCELLENT STATEMENT FROM MR HEANEY, PROVING THAT NO MATTER WHAT GOES ON ON THE FOOTBALL PITCH, IN ORDER TO GO FORWARD, YOU HAVE TO EVERY SUPPORTING STRUCTURE IN PLACE. AT THE MOMENT THIS IS OBVIOUSLY NOT THE CASE AT TRURO !!! PLEASE NOW CAST YOUR MINDS BACK TO ALL THOSE WHO CRITISISED PORTHLEVEN FC FOR NOT WANTING PROMOTION TO THE PREMIER LEAGUE A FEW WEEKS AGO, THE EXACT SAME THINGS APPLY, THE PLAYERS WANTED IT & THE MANAGER WANTED IT HOWEVER, THE CLUB WAS NOT IN A POSITION TO SUPPORT IT !! NO OTHER CHOICE !!

Guest Postie Pidge

That was the same reasoning for Falmouth not applying for promotion - even though it wouldn't be possible now with the bad run we've been on but in most cases it's a big step forward and everything has to be right. Definitely Falmouth and possibly Liskeard and Saltash struggled towards the end of their Western League days with Falmouth being so bad there were bucket collections just to keep the club afloat. They couldn't even afford to cut the pitch!

So why leave it so late to make the announcement?

Why sign a manager on in a full-time position?

And why give the impression to the players that they would be going full-time, so much so that at apparantly at least one player had given up his job?

Economically it probably makes sense to delay this move - but you could argue that from day one they didn't need to pay out so much money as they have to get out of the Western League!

The suggested amount being paid out at present would probably shock most Truro supporters.

Guest Man on the Post

Dave, using your analysis Falmouth should have easily won the SWPL! :D The fact that they failed must have been a massive shock to you. I hope you didn't lose too much dosh. :rolleyes:

Guest philglossop

To the poster about Saltash/Liskeard/Falmouth pulling out of the Western League.

Um- having been involved on the committee at Saltash at the time- at the end of 1993/4 we did a vote with the supporters if Saltash should pull out of the Great Mills (as it was at the time). Supporters said no, if we did, they would support us in the SWL. In 1994/5 we did not ask, as it was clear that season that as Liskeard were struggling to avoid the drop (for the 1 and only time) and Liskeard were going to pull out of the Great Mills, that we would go together. This happened for 1995/6.

The last time I was at Lux Park, there was a letter from the secterary of the Western League to Adrian (sec of Liskeard at the time) saying good luck and hopefully see you soon). I know that Colin Phillips sec of Saltash had the same letter, having read it. Yes, Saltash did struggle in 1995/6 to adapt.

SO gets your facts right, before mouthing off. :SM_carton: Those were interesting days of committee and work to plan a budget etc. But no way did Saltash stuggle financially during those days. It was simple budgeting.

Guest crosser

Dave, using your analysis Falmouth should have easily won the SWPL! The fact that they failed must have been a massive shock to you. I hope you didn't lose too much dosh.

Sorry don't understand!

me neither!!

alright phil

Am I right in saying that another reason why the clubs left the Western League was that the league made them play back to back games in the Bristol area. ie one team on the saturday and the next team on the sunday. I think this caused a lot of problems with the players/girlfriends/wives etc.

Anyone confirm this

Guest Postie Pidge

To the poster about Saltash/Liskeard/Falmouth pulling out of the Western League.

Um- having been involved on the committee at Saltash at the time- at the end of 1993/4 we did a vote with the supporters if Saltash should pull out of the Great Mills (as it was at the time). Supporters said no, if we did, they would support us in the SWL. In 1994/5 we did not ask, as it was clear that season that as Liskeard were struggling to avoid the drop (for the 1 and only time) and Liskeard were going to pull out of the Great Mills, that we would go together. This happened for 1995/6.

The last time I was at Lux Park, there was a letter from the secterary of the Western League to Adrian (sec of Liskeard at the time) saying good luck and hopefully see you soon). I know that Colin Phillips sec of Saltash had the same letter, having read it. Yes, Saltash did struggle in 1995/6 to adapt.

SO gets your facts right, before mouthing off. Those were interesting days of committee and work to plan a budget etc. But no way did Saltash stuggle financially during those days. It was simple budgeting.

I said definitely Falmouth struggled financially and possibly Liskeard and Saltash