Cornwall Football Forum

PREMIERSHIP TEAM OF THE SEASON

It's that time of the season when the player of the season awards start being handed out. It's also the time of the season when us fans argue about who has been the best player in each of the positions. It is unlikely that any two fans would select an identical "team of the year" but for the purposes of debate and "friendly" discussion I thought I’d have a go at putting my ideas on paper.

I have selected a squad of twenty-two from which I will select my final Premier League eleven. I just know that the players I select will be hugely proud to be recognised by me, a man who all the top players listen to. Mmm.

I'm going for a good old fashioned 4-4-2. Not because it is the only way to play but because it makes it easier to put down on paper!

GOALKEEPER

Edwin Van Der Saar (Manchester United): Best keeper with the ball at his feet by a mile. Rarely lets United down and his saves against Arsenal may just have won the Premier League.

David James (Portsmouth): Had a great season and has kept his ‘eccentric moments’ to a minimum.

RIGHT BACK

Bacary Sagna (Arsenal): Has looked pretty good all season and his injury may have played more of a part in Arsenal’s decline than most have suggested.

Glen Johnson (Portsmouth): I've never rated Johnson to be honest, but in the games I’ve seen him play this season he has looked effective going backwards and forwards.

LEFT BACK

Patrice Evra (Manchester United): After a dodgy start at United this man has developed into a wonderful player. Defensively he is sound and going forward he provides yet another attacking alternative for the team. For a man so small, he wins an amazing amount of headers.

Gael Clichy (Arsenal): Has totally replaced Ashley Cole and I’m sure the Arsenal fans have forgotten their old boy already. Clichy has remarkable energy levels and great pace.

CENTRE HALF

Nemanja Vidic (Manchester United): Solid as a rock. Difficult to remember a mistake. Has been sorely missed in the games he hasn‘t played.

Rio Ferdinand (Manchester United): Not everyone’s favourite player but he has been exceptional this season. With Vidic, he has formed a formidable partnership.

Ricardo Carvalho (Chelsea): A bit of an unsung hero at Stamford Bridge. I think he has been Chelsea’s best defender by a mile this season, and has held the defence together in times of trouble.

Richard Dunne (Manchester City): He may have gone off the boil a little in recent weeks but his early season displays were faultless.

MIDFIELD

Christiano Ronaldo (Manchester United): I don’t think I really need to say too much about this man who has been a phenomenon this season.

Steve Gerrard (Liverpool): Yes, I know I’ve criticised him in the past, but he’s just a very good player. Lots of goals and inspirational for Liverpool.

Cesc Fabregas (Arsenal): Not so good over the last few weeks but I thought he looked near to his best at Old Trafford. In the first half of the season he was the only player in the country to be anywhere near Ronaldo in terms of performance levels.

Paul Scholes (Manchester United): Quite simply still a wonderful player. He might not get in the box as much as he used to, but he still picks a pass as well as anybody.

Mathieu Flamini (Arsenal): From bit part player to superstar. He has performed well all season and Arsenal will do well to hang onto him.

David Bentley (Blackburn): Not sure about Bentley really, but he has clearly produced the goods this season.

Ashley Young (Aston Villa): A really exciting prospect. He is direct, quick, can score goals and delivers a wonderful cross from open play or a dead ball.

Alexander Hleb (Arsenal): I wondered what all the fuss was about Hleb when he arrived at Arsenal, but this season he has shown what a fine player he is.

STRIKERS

Fernando Torres (Liverpool): Wonderful striker. Is there a better centre forward in world football at this time?

Wayne Rooney (Manchester United): His partnership with Ronaldo has been breathtaking at times. He has had to take a bit of a back seat to Ronaldo this season but he remains England’s best player.

Dimitar Berbatov (Tottenham): He might be lazy and grumpy but I love watching him play. I have never seen a striker with a better first touch.

Emmanuel Adebayor (Arsenal): Blew it a bit at the end of the season but earlier on he was quite simply unplayable at times.

PLAYERS WHO JUST MISSED OUT:

Petr Cech (Chelsea): Not quite at his exceptional best this season and has given away a couple of crucial goals.

Manuel Almunia (Arsenal): Has done well particularly under the constant glare of the bitter and twisted Lehmann, but just not quite good enough to make the squad.

Pepe Reina (Liverpool): Looks like a world class keeper to me apart from in the really big games when he looks a little shaky. I cannot afford to risk my reputation as a manager on a player who might let me down in the big games!

Wes Brown (Manchester United): Has done a wonderful job for United this season, but I don’t think he is a right back. Not good enough for the squad but should be proud of what he has achieved out of position.

John Terry (Chelsea): Still a great leader and defender but has had a disappointing season by his own high standards.

William Gallas (Arsenal): Gallas has got the lot physically and deserves to be in or near the squad. I just feel his temperament has let him down a little in these last few crucial weeks.

Jamie Carragher (Liverpool): Another fine season for Liverpool, but I just don’t think he is quite as good as the others.

Jolean Lescott (Everton): Great season for Everton but plays as much at left back as he does at centre half. If he gets a regular place in the ‘number 5’ shirt, he could force his way in next season.

Jonathan Woodgate (Middlesbrough / Tottenham): At his best, Woodgate is immaculate. If he’d played the whole season he could have made it.

Ryan Babel (Liverpool): In and out of the Liverpool team and he seems to get mixed reviews. Whenever I have seen him he has looked to be a talented and exciting player.

Michael Essien (Chelsea): Not quite as good as he was last season but still a formidable presence in the midfield.

Javier Mascherano (Liverpool): Has done a wonderful job for Liverpool this season.

Mikel Arteta (Everton): An exceptional player who makes Everton tick. He has played through injury this season but still looks a class act.

Gabby Agbonlahor (Aston Villa): Another exciting Villa prospect. Fast, direct and score goals. He could go far.

Didier Drogba (Chelsea): What a handful this player is. He misses out on my squad because of his propensity to fall over. (Yes I know I’ve selected Ronaldo, but you can’t leave him out, can you?)

FINAL TEAM

:

Edwin Van Der Saar

Bacary Sagna

Rio Ferdinand

Nemanja Vidic

Patrice Evra

Christiano Ronaldo

Cesc Fabregas

Steve Gerrard

Alexander Hleb

Fernando Torres

Dimitar Berbatov

"Let the arguments commence"! ;)

blimey coopsie you feeling alright 3 arsenal players in your starting eleven

I'm just a lover of the beautiful game Jules mate, if a player is good enough it is only fair to recognise his talent. Even if he does play for the french scum down the road from my beloved Spurs. :angry2:

Guest postman pat

coopsie one player that has not had a mention is

tim cahill at everton they always play better when he is in the side and he does score a fair few goals for a midfielder :c:

coopsie one player that has not had a mention is

tim cahill at everton they always play better when he is in the side and he does score a fair few goals for a midfielder :c:

I'm hearing you Postman pat, I just feel he's missed too much football this season. I reckon he's only played around 10 weeks of the whole season.

GK - James (Pompey)

RB - Carragher (Liverpool)

CB - Ferdinand (Man Utd)

CB - Dunne (Man City)

LB - Lescott (Everton)

RM - Ronaldo (Man Utd)

CM - Fabregas (Arsenal)

CM - Gerrard (Liverpool)

LM - Hleb (Arsenal)

ST - Torres (Liverpool)

ST - Adebayor (Arsenal)

Bench: Howard (Everton), Essien (Chelsea), Bentley (Blackburn), Young (Aston Villa), Rooney (Man Utd)

GK-David James

LB-Gael Clichy

CB-Nemanja Vidic

CB-Richard Dunne

RB-Backary Sagna

MF-Steven Gerrard

MF-Christiano Ronaldo

MF-Cesc Fabregas

MF-Mathieuw Flamini

CF-Roque Santa Cruz

CF-Fernando Torres

Subs:(if you could have this many)

GK-Joe Hart

LB-Patrice Evra

RB-Alan Hutton

CB-Micah Richards

CB-Rio Ferdinand

MF-Mikel Arteta

MF-Alex Hleb

MF-Ashley Young

MF-Gareth Barry

CF-Emanu Adebayor

CF-Jermain Defoe

im sure lots of you will disagree with my selection!!

Guest jumpersforgoalposts

1. James (Portsmouth)

2. Richards (Man City)

3. Evra (Manure)

4. Carragher (Liverpool)

5. Vidic (Manure)

6. Ronaldo (Manure)

7. Fabregas (Arsenal)

8. Gerrard © (Liverpool)

9. Arteta (Everton)

10. Rooney (Manure)

11. Torres (Liverpool)

12. Reina

13. ferdinand

14. J. Cole

15 Berbatov

BIt of a contraversial team...Rooney would be the first on the sheet every week, he does the work of 3 men on his own. Without Arteta everton would be in the bottom half of the table.

GK - James (Portsmouth)

RB - Carragher (Liverpool)

CB - Vidic (Man Utd)

CB - Gallas (Arsenal)

LB - Lescott (Everton)

LM - Ronaldo (Man Utd)

CM - Lampard (Chelsea)

CM - Fabregas (Arsenal)

RM - Bentley (Blackburn)

CF - Torres (Liverpool)

CF - Adebeyor (Arsenal)

SUBS

GK - van der Sar (Man Utd)

DF - Distin (Portsmouth)

DF - R.Ferdinand (Man Utd)

MF - Gerrard (Liverpool)

MF - Hleb (Arsenal)

FW - Benjuani (Portsmouth/Man City)

FW - Keane (Tottenham)

GK- EDWIN VAN DER SAR

RB- GLEN JOHNSON

LB- PATRICE EVRA

CB- RIO FERDINAND

CL NEMANJA VIDIC

RM CHRISTIANO RONALDO

LM- JOE COLE

CM- STEVEN GERRARD

CM- ANDERSON

CF- FERNANDO TORRES

CF- WAYNE ROONEY

SUBS

RICARDO CARVALIO

CESC FABREGAS

DIMITAR BERBATOV

MICHEAL CARRICK AND PETER CROUCH CAN COME SO WE HAVE GOT SOMEBODY TO BEATUP IF WE LOSE

Guest jumpersforgoalposts

A one and a six...Gerrard on the bench? is that a miss print? where is rooney in the squad...he's the heartbeat of the Manure side! without him Ronaldo would be less than half the player he is!

GK- EDWIN VAN DER SAR

RB- GLEN JOHNSON

LB- PATRICE EVRA

CB- RIO FERDINAND

CL NEMANJA VIDIC

RM CHRISTIANO RONALDO

LM- JOE COLE

CM- STEVEN GERRARD

CM- ANDERSON

CF- FERNANDO TORRES

CF- WAYNE ROONEY

SUBS

RICARDO CARVALIO

CESC FABREGAS

DIMITAR BERBATOV

MICHEAL CARRICK AND PETER CROUCH CAN COME SO WE HAVE GOT SOMEBODY TO BEATUP IF WE LOSE

obviously you support man utd then . anderson was the one that made me laugh i thought you meant viv anderson . a little bit biased i think

i take it you havent seen anderson playing this season sammo

Pure class and has looked a class act who ever he comes up against , the weekend just gone for example adebayor cudnt handle him as he was out strengthed and out skilled and just swiped him out....... what did anderson do..... get up and carry on

honest as well, recommend you watch players properly before you issue a opinion

GK- EDWIN VAN DER SAR

RB- GLEN JOHNSON

LB- PATRICE EVRA

CB- RIO FERDINAND

CL NEMANJA VIDIC

RM CHRISTIANO RONALDO

LM- JOE COLE

CM- STEVEN GERRARD

CM- ANDERSON

CF- FERNANDO TORRES

CF- WAYNE ROONEY

SUBS

RICARDO CARVALIO

CESC FABREGAS

DIMITAR BERBATOV

obviously you support man utd then . anderson was the one that made me laugh i thought you meant viv anderson . a little bit biased i think

I am a United fan but this is my honest opinion Anderson has been class all season. Fabregas would have been in instead of him but his form has dropped in the last 3 months where as Anderson has proved he can be a worthy successor to Paul Scholes who I think is in the top 5 players the premiership has ever produced.

Hi Sammo i agree with your midfield, but i also agree with the anderson choice, i know he's not in the same league as fabregas in the passing game, but what a find for alex and his boys i'm an avid liverpool fan as you know but iv'e been an admirer of anderson all season he's been consistant and hard working and to keep scholes ,carrick and hargreaves out at times just goes to show what alex has. thais why he's in my team, i even left out mascherano who also has been class for liverpool. see you saturday mate and show us your team.

In a very attacking 3-2-3-2 formation, me team is as follows,

GK David James (Portsmouth)

DC Richard Carvalho (Chelsea)

DC Rio Ferdinand (Man Utd)

DC Joleon Lescott (Everton)

DM Javier Mascherano (Liverpool)

DM Cesc Fabregas (Arse)

AMR Cristiano Ronaldo (Man Utd)

AMC Steven Gerrard (Liverpool) ©

AML Ashley Young (Aston Villa)

FC Fernando Torres (Liverpool)

FC Dimitar Berbagod (Tottenham Hotspur)

Subs

Edwin Van Der Sar (Man Utd)

Nemanja Vidic (Man Utd)

Mikel Arteta (Everton)

Joe Cole (Chelsea)

Emmanuel Adebayor (Arse)

Me defence wouldn't have a lot to do apart from stand back and the boys in front of them rip any potential opponents limb from limb!

Thanks for coming boys and girls.

Team 1

GK - James

LB - Evra

CB - Carvalho

CB - Vidic

RB - Richards

LM - Bentley

CM - Mascherano

CM - Fabregas

RM - Ronaldo

CF - Rooney

CF - Torres

Team 2

Gk - Van der Sar

LB - A Cole

CB - Carragher

CB - Terry

RB - G Johnson

CM - Gerrard

CM - Barry

CM - Arteta

CF - Tevez

CF - Adebyor

CF - Berbatov

Team 1 V Team 2 who do you think would win???

personally i think team 1 as rooney and ronaldo together are formidable and mascherano is the best defensive midfielder in the world at the moment.

I know who and what i meant u pair of c**k suckers just a spelling mistake

Why thank you for your classy response!

I knew it was a typo, and if you read my message as it should've been read I was using irony regarding the Captain being ever so slightly petty!

Maybe humour and irony is lost on some people, but I'll accept the abuse and move on to a place where it's better appreciated!!

Guest Captain Obvious

Its obvious i hit a nerve im sorry,I have no doubt of your football knowledge and redundo sorry i mean redondo was great your right

CAPTAIN OBVIOUS.

• 3 weeks later...