Cornwall Football Forum

Falmouth v Torpoint preview

Tuesday 15th. April 7-30pm Bickland Park

SWPL(P) Falmouth Town (5th) v Torpoint Athletic (6th)

Can Falmouth push on for third place or can Torpoint close the gap on the top 5?

Previous encounter at The Mill ended 1-1 Matt Hawke/Fergus Nevin before 147 spectators.

Torpoint have not beaten Falmouth in their last 9 league and cup meetings.

Falmouth who are the second highest Premier goalscorers have not seen a player net a hat trick.

Question for 'Pidge' who was the last to do so and has there ever been a season without a player hat trick

Players in question-Striker Adam Carter,(Torpoint to Falmouth and back to Torpoint )will have a point to prove

and his ex goalscoring partner,Ben Davies (Torpoint now at Falmouth) will also be out to show his worth.

Be at Bickland tomorrow night.

and has there ever been a season without a player hat trick

However Mike, hat-tricks aren't everything!

I say that after taking a quick look at your club's stats the last time you won the South Western League. Firstly, it was way back in season 1999-2000. Far too long for a club steeped in Cornish football history.

Anyway, in that season (a season that you were never out of the top four), the 34 league games brought 88 goals, but according to my records - only one hat-trick. That one by a certain striker called Mark Rapsey. Mind you he only scored 9 for you all season!

Boy, that's spooky! Talking about Rappo and hat-tricks - just had a text from the man, and I quote "Beat Culdrose 4-2 mate, had a hat-trick (2 free-kicks and a penalty)." For anyone that doesn't know, Mark, one of the greatest goalscorers in Cornish footballing history, is still banging them in for Frogpool/Cusgarne. I wonder how many he's notched now - and even better, he'll be able to tell me!

:thumbsup:

dave its 1578!!! :thumbsup: i enjoy the free kicks and pens mate,theres not much running involved with them!! i wont mention the 2 sitters i missed though!! none with my hand tonight either!!! :D:SM_carton_y: remember that hat-trick,we beat bodmin 6-0 under the bickland lights,happy days!!! about all i did that season mind! injured and suspended for half of it!!! i remember you being abit tasty from the penalty spot in your truro.city days :thumbsup: mate!!!

Hi Rappo. just want to say that you are such a great guy. I first started watching falmouth in the early 90s. do you remember a player called Sammy Leonance (cant spell) I remember you linking up with him. Who was your best striking partnership?

Is Dave Sweet playing for Frogpool now?

Sammy (Alex) Leonce was Darth Vader in disguise! He was 14 and a half stone of pure muscle and if you went in for a rub down from Gordon Render before the game and Sammy was there you'd have to wait 20 minutes because his thighs were so big! He was very rapid and was in the RAF and trained with Rory Underwood and was quicker than him in the sprints. He also represented GB in the 4-man bobsleigh in the Galgary Olympics.

If anyone knows where he is these days please let me know, it's a shame we only has his services for the one season.

Fantastic bloke that everyone loved at Falmouth.

Mike Odgers will no doubt give us his stats.

I will work on them tonight Tommy.(Or I may be beaten by Pidge)

I do remember seeing his front page picture on some Non League magazine in the colours of Elgin City in the Scottish Highland League.

I believe he was based at RAF St.Mawgan with the Nimrod squadron and moved to Lossiemouth ?? with his work.

Wasn't there a famous aerial action photo of yourself/Rappo/Sammy and possibly Dave Gardner attacking a corner at Bickland (used in your testimonial match programme).

I think you're right about the photo Mike.

Sammy was signed by Elgin on the back of his terrifying performance in the SW League Cup Final at Bodmin when we beat the Devon and Cornwall Police team!

I seem to remember a 50/50 aerial ball with the goalkeeper early in the game. The poor keeper had to be swept up and carried off in a wheelbarrow!

Guest Postie Pidge

Alec "Sammy" Leonce played 32 games for Falmouth in the 1991/92 season and scored 18 goals. I believe he was signed from either Truro City or RAF St Mawgan. He is on Friends Reunited and I remember his wife wasn't to be messed with......!

hi john,remember sammy as if it was yesterday!! as mike and tom have mentioned he moved up to scotland and played for elgin city.he also scored 2 goals in a pre season friendly against rangers!!! we only had sam for that one season but i have to say he was a joy to play alongside,as were all my team mates in that team as im sure tom would agree.think we were called smash and grab by f troop! think i ended up with 42 and sammy 28 that season.the incident tom mentioned was typical sammy.trev said just before kick off, if you,ve got a chance to challenge the keeper do it.i dont think he saw any of our 5 goals go in after that!! gentle giant off the pitch though and a really top guy.remember his luther vandross at st.ives tom??? a really good singer as well.i seem to keep repeating myself but those days were fantastic to be a town player john.glad its not just us that remember them with such fondness. :D

sorry john,didnt answer you,re question about sweeter! he,s one of me best mates and i managed to talk him into having a few games for frogpool before the end of the season!! he,s been out injured for a while and wants to get some fitness for next season.he,s still class and getting better every game.just wish i was still quick enough to get on the end of one of his 50 yard passes!!! he,s been smashing a few shots at goal as well,wouldnt want to get in the way of one!!! and theres a few who have been tackled by him in the last couple games that wish he was still out injured as well!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! cheers john :thumbsup::D :lol:

i ended up with 42 and sammy 28 that season

You including friendlies as well presumably.

Falmouth scored 91 finishing as league champions that season:-

In my records the goals went like this (these are not official, but pretty much accurate):- :D

24 Mark Rapsey + 5 LC + 5 CSC + 1 FAC = TOTAL 35

20 Glynn Hooper + 1 LC + 3 CSC = TOTAL 24

11 Nigel Thwaites + 2 LC + 3 CSC = TOTAL 16

9 George Torrance + 2 LC + 3 CSC + 2 FAC + 1 FAC = TOTAL 17

8 Sammy Leonce + 3 LC + 6 CSC + 1 FAC = TOTAL 18

5 Dave Gardner + 1 LC + 1 FAC = TOTAL 7

4 Duncan Powell + 1 LC = TOTAL 5

2 John Hodge + 1 FAC = TOTAL 3

2 Tommy Matthews + 2 LC + 1 CSC = TOTAL 5

2 Own Goals = TOTAL 2

1 Mark Hope = TOTAL 1

1 Dodger Long = TOTAL 1

1 Dominic Evans = TOTAL 1

1 Eric Tickle = TOTAL 1

91 Total = TOTAL 136

could be dave? you are usually spot on mate! remember someone saying we had 70 between us that season.we had loads of friendlies,brewery cup etc then.think we won that as well??? should have done the treble that season,we lost the senior cup final to newquay 1-0.sammy was away and i had a mare on the day. :SM_carton:

Rappo,how you doing mate? Long time no see, hows the married life going....can you recommend it to me??!

Tell me mate, and the rest of us, can you put your finger on the best season/era and/or team of players that you were involved in and enjoyed the most? I know there were quite a few to choose from but just wondering if theres 1 that stands out from the rest. Cheers mate.

hi lafs!!! good to hear from you mate! you and philpy still keeping up the good work at blazey next season??? really tough question that!! think ive been really lucky to have been involved with a great bunch of lads nearly every club ive been to mate.the town sides between 88-95 were the best days of my life lafs!!! young,fit,quick, good looking!!!! the exact opposite to now really bud!!! :D:( really enjoyed my time at wadebridge as well,lovely club and people.met some great players and even better blokes.thats the great thing about football i think lafs. what about you?? hope the nipper is well and married life is great mate.never thought id be one to say that!!! im here in my slippers and pyjamas now watchin celtic v rangers!! take care lafs,catch you soon mate x :thumbsup:

It was Sept 1989 that I first remember Mark in Senior football when at Bickland in a SWL Cup tie, some upstart called Rapsey ruined my day by scoring the winner for Truro City (1-2).

Did you waltz past Tommy and avoid the crunching tackles from Dodger?

A lot of things followed that result when the all conquering Town had a managerial change from Dave Wadd to Trevor Mewton and looking at the records Mark Rapsey made his Falmouth debut at Torpoint with a goal on 4th.Nov 89.(am I correct)

As you have a good memory Mark, was it Dave Wadd or Trevor that signed you? can you after all these years tell how the transfer unfolded?

hi john,sorry for the delay! i aint got enough hours in the day at the moment mate!!!!!! yeh got about 20 scrap books since i started mens football at 13 for malabar!! took them with me when i moved although my mums loft has still got about 600 medals in boxes somewhere!? the mrs aint too keen on the old dust collectors!!! scored 1578 goals in mens 11 a side competitive games,wish i counted my youth goals and friendlies! be up around 2000 then!!! used to remember the special ones but its going with age,thats why i keep a note of them!!! dont think im gonna get too many more if the knees and bulging waistline have anything to do with it either john!!!......spot on again mike!!! forgot about the truro goal!? remember my first town one as if it were yesterday though! had 4 at foxhole in the senior cup the following week.good start in the black and amber!! waddy did phone me(for 2 hours!) when shappy had to retire and put 7 days in but i thought how do you replace shappy??? so i stayed at truro for the time,then trev took over and neil talked me in to believing i was good enough to fit into that great team and the rest is history mate.won the jack hawke trophy in my first season and had the best days of my life with the best players and blokes you could wish to meet!! not forgetting f troop and all the brilliant support we had from the likes of yourself mike.truly memorable days mate!!! :clapper::c: :thumbsup:

hi john,sorry for the delay! i aint got enough hours in the day at the moment mate!!!!!! yeh got about 20 scrap books since i started mens football at 13 for malabar!! took them with me when i moved although my mums loft has still got about 600 medals in boxes somewhere!? the mrs aint too keen on the old dust collectors!!! scored 1578 goals in mens 11 a side competitive games,wish i counted my youth goals and friendlies! be up around 2000 then!!! used to remember the special ones but its going with age,thats why i keep a note of them!!! dont think im gonna get too many more if the knees and bulging waistline have anything to do with it either john!!!......spot on again mike!!! forgot about the truro goal!? remember my first town one as if it were yesterday though! had 4 at foxhole in the senior cup the following week.good start in the black and amber!! waddy did phone me(for 2 hours!) when shappy had to retire and put 7 days in but i thought how do you replace shappy??? so i stayed at truro for the time,then trev took over and neil talked me in to believing i was good enough to fit into that great team and the rest is history mate.won the jack hawke trophy in my first season and had the best days of my life with the best players and blokes you could wish to meet!! not forgetting f troop and all the brilliant support we had from the likes of yourself mike.truly memorable days mate!!! :clapper::c::thumbsup:

and i did tell massey he was letting go one of the best prospects truro ever had,well what did i know mate :o

Hi Rappo,

I hope this does not hurt you but are you 40 yet, your good friend Steven Pascoe is 40 next Tuesday , I shoul know because I'm His Father, ( you allways called me Mr P) & to think that both of you are still playing Football, well done but I am sure that the old knees must be creeking a bit under the strain,

Oh by the way How is your mum & dad long time no see, as for me well you know where I am each week,

Hammers :SM_carton_y::drink::c: :c:

hi mr.p hope you are well!! yeh im abit older than steve,im closer to 41 now!! i often see him in work for a quick chat bout footie.went to vegas for my 40th last year, superb! he,s still got a few years in him yet.not sure my knees can take the strain though!!?? take care,come on the town!!!!! :thumbsup:

Just found the programme -it was 4th.April 92

SWL St.Austell 0 Falmouth Town 4 scorers Glyn Hooper 3,Dodger Long

Last paragraph of report-

" with the game won and only three minutes to go an incident out of context with the spirit of the match saw Sammy Leonce retaliate on former Town player Adie Coxon who ended up on his back needing treatment.

Both were dismissed by referee F>A Kent of Torpoint."

His son Lee Coxon plays for Tavistock.

sorry snake,been miles away!! yeh spot on mike,adie was giving sammy grief all game,some of it out of order if i remember which wasnt really like adie to be fair.i remember he caught him a few times from behind and sam being sam put up with it until the 89th min!!! then he just turned around and lamped him and walked off with the ref chasing him up the slope!!! funny now you look back on it!!! :D