Cornwall Football Forum

Need a laugh?

Craze

Truro City owner Dicky Evans says the club are aiming to reach League Two within the next three or four years.

The White Tigers won promotion back to National League South this month after winning the Southern Premier League South play-offs.

The club is owned by Evans, who also controls the Cornish Pirates rugby side and is in the process of a £2.5m crowdfunding campaign for the clubs.

"We're looking to get promoted as soon as we can," Evans told BBC Sport.

The club currently play at Plymouth Parkway's Bolitho Park ground, with plans for a new venue in Cornwall in the pipeline.

The White Tigers, who have twice reached the sixth tier of English football before, hope to have their new home ready in time for the start of the 2024-25 season.

The plan is for the ground to be able to be expanded so that Cornish Pirates would be able to share it and have a base suitable to play in the Premiership.

"The minimum budget is £500,000, so if we get some more money out of this crowdfunding then the budget will go up," added Evans.

"Paul Wotton's a great coach so we're looking to get into the English Football League in three or four years' time.

"It's two more promotions and do a Wrexham."

Would love to see it, but no chance. The budgets (crowds/followings) are huge in comparison to what TCFC have/will have.

• 1 month later...
2 hours ago, Craze said:

Budget needed to do what Mousehole have done is very different to what is being proposed here. Clubs in the national league are spending hundreds of thousands a month.

Several full time clubs in the National League North/South now. Truro are in with some serious competition next season (Paul Wotton mentioned in his comments after the Bodmin game that they can't match the money that is on offer to the players he has targeted).

As an example, AFC Fylde (who won the NLN last season) have a full time squad, and their ground, playing budget and off the field set up wouldn't look out of place in league division two.

• 3 weeks later...
11 hours ago, Dave Deacon said:

Holding their own in the NLS would be fine for me!

This. The dream would be national league and crowds in the 4-figures every week. To go two steps further is just mind bending. The amount of structure that needs to be put in place to support that needs to be met with serious action. A proper academy, proper community engagement and a willingness for the Cornish population to get behind the club like never before. Serious serious cash.

20 minutes ago, Craze said:

This. The dream would be national league and crowds in the 4-figures every week. To go two steps further is just mind bending. The amount of structure that needs to be put in place to support that needs to be met with serious action. A proper academy, proper community engagement and a willingness for the Cornish population to get behind the club like never before. Serious serious cash.

Just out of interest, do the Pirates rugby team have all of this? Not digging at you, just don't know as I don't follow the egg chasing game. No idea what sort of gates they get either.

Several years ago, the stated ambition was to get to the Premiership (they did lose twice in promotion play off finals) but seem a way off that now. Given though the seemingly disastrous state of all the club's collective finances in this division, it would hardly seem to be a sunlit uplands. 

I would guess that, when the Pirates eventually move to the new facility at Langarth, the Mennaye will be developed for housing.

7 minutes ago, Way Of The Park said:

Just out of interest, do the Pirates rugby team have all of this? Not digging at you, just don't know as I don't follow the egg chasing game. No idea what sort of gates they get either.

Several years ago, the stated ambition was to get to the Premiership (they did lose twice in promotion play off finals) but seem a way off that now. Given though the seemingly disastrous state of all the club's collective finances in this division, it would hardly seem to be a sunlit uplands. 

I would guess that, when the Pirates eventually move to the new facility at Langarth, the Mennaye will be developed for housing.

Definitely not taken as a criticism or dig. I guess the big thing is we're comparing rugby, its league structure and finances, with football. And it literally is a different ball game. The sums of money being spent in the national league are eye watering. I'd imagine Yeovil, Torquay and Scunthorpe will have quite a bit of clout.

I'd love to see how Truro's budget compares, I'm assuming close to bottom.

3 minutes ago, Craze said:

Definitely not taken as a criticism or dig. I guess the big thing is we're comparing rugby, its league structure and finances, with football. And it literally is a different ball game. The sums of money being spent in the national league are eye watering. I'd imagine Yeovil, Torquay and Scunthorpe will have quite a bit of clout.

I'd love to see how Truro's budget compares, I'm assuming close to bottom.

Cheers Mr Craze. Yes, PSF's are no real guide, but it looks to me like Torquay and Yeovil will be the pacesetters in the NLS. The matter of them being full time, and still having the staffing structure to support that, is going to be a big factor. Looking at the sheer distances and some of the away days coming up for Truro, it is really challenging to sustain for a club that is part time. There are bound to be a few epic end of season treks happen as a result of what is thrown up by cancellations and rescheduled matches.

The big thing Truro need to start doing is bringing through Cornish youngsters who are good enough for league football. Big old catchment area down there that you would think at the earliest age groups they'd have first dibs on. Got to develop the youth side of the club 

5 hours ago, Way Of The Park said:

Probably not!
I seem to recall being told somewhere that they don’t own it , but they pay the amateur club to use it each week! 

6 hours ago, Craze said:

The big thing Truro need to start doing is bringing through Cornish youngsters who are good enough for league football. Big old catchment area down there that you would think at the earliest age groups they'd have first dibs on. Got to develop the youth side of the club 

They seem to have made a good start on that with the success of their under 18's and St Pirans side over the last few years, and Paul Wotton has got a few of these players involved with the first team in the last couple of pre season campaigns. Even with the reserves playing SWPL football next season, still a big gap to the NLS and 1st team football. Wonder if getting some of these lads loaned to Western League clubs has been looked at, and if George Newton's progress at Tavistock will be closely watched.

55 minutes ago, Dave Deacon said:

Probably not!
I seem to recall being told somewhere that they don’t own it , but they pay the amateur club to use it each week! 

The freehold is owned by Cornwall Council.

The principal tenant is Penzance & Newlyn RFC and my understanding is that the Pirates rent it from them but it’s a very convoluted relationship - which I don’t pretend to understand - because it’s simultaneously the case that the Pirates technically play as the Penzance & Newlyn RFC 1st team.

Any rugby people out there who can shed light on this I’d be genuinely interested - but anything more detailed probably belongs in a different thread. 

On 24/07/2023 at 21:34, THEMAGPIE said:

Time to get behind our Cornish team and fingers crossed they can have another successful season, may be a big ask to progress but you never know.

The problem is that, at the moment, they don't feel like a Cornish team.  Probably none of the team live in Cornwall, don't train in Cornwall, don't play in Cornwall.  Named after a Cornish city and that is as far as it goes.

Pedantic but I think they train at Salt Mill, Saltash. Fully agree though, not a Cornish team. Some of the players were rumoured to be on the way out had they not continued the upcoming season at Bolitho and heading to Parkway. So when they eventually move "home" it could cost them some Plymouth based players.

That rumour has been around for a while and one reason they were not in a rush to get back to Cornwall. Most of the Plymouth based lads happy with a game on their doorstep every other week now.  Believe that was one of the reason Dan Sullivan and Ryan Brett left Taunton was the travel 

• 1 month later...