Cornwall Football Forum

Structures of New League

Well, after receiving the email! We feel slightly aggrieved at New Inn Titans. We basically will play all the teams we played last year, and the relegated teams from the League above. 

Let’s just say, it leaves a bitter taste in the mouths of all those that worked hard to stay undefeated winning every league game last year, to then go on and win a Treble, to now be facing the same teams basically as last year. 

2 hours ago, Asterix said:

Well, after receiving the email! We feel slightly aggrieved at New Inn Titans. We basically will play all the teams we played last year, and the relegated teams from the League above. 

Let’s just say, it leaves a bitter taste in the mouths of all those that worked hard to stay undefeated winning every league game last year, to then go on and win a Treble, to now be facing the same teams basically as last year. 

I can't see what else was going to be expected! 

1 hour ago, bighairydave said:

Suggestions been forwarded to the league secretary on what they should do instead I assume?

Not yet Mulling over what to do!

25 minutes ago, Dave Deacon said:

I can't see what else was going to be expected! 

Well it’s not about expectation, it’s more of a feeling of deflation. We haven’t progressed anywhere 

7 hours ago, Richard Chown said:

Basically Premier Division is what the old combo was, Division 1 Trelawny Premier…. Old Trelawny reduced down to 3 divisions 

IMG_3376.jpeg

8 hours ago, Asterix said:

At first glance I thought similar and was disappointed to see Holmans in the division they were in after finishing in a promotion place,  however if you look at it from the top division down we have in fact jumped a division from last season (as have NIT) and if I was going to class it in ‘Old money’ the league structure is back to what it was 15 years ago with Combo (Premier) at the top followed by 4 ‘Junior Leagues’ which was similar to where we were at following the amalgamation of FHFL and Mining Leagues.

The increase in division size is having a bigger impact the further down the league you go as well due to how small the divisions had become in recent years as we go back up to 14 team leagues so the league has had to fill those spaces from the top down meaning some teams don’t appear to have moved when in fact it’s about competitiveness and ensuring teams around are of the same level

At first glance Div 3 already looks like a nightmare to get promoted out of with both last seasons junior cup finalists in it 😳😂

9 teams from Div 1 have essentially been promoted into the new Div 2 you can see why NIT feel deflated as well as other teams in the lower leagues as well. It's not really a progression from last season basically playing the same teams again for this season. Hopefully it hasn't put a negative on clubs going forward

I think it’s a Natural feeling when you see you’re playing the same teams as last season, when you’ve just gone the whole last 2 seasons, only losing 1 league game. It’s obviously a bit deflating to think we done all that and yes may have methodically jumped a league, as in the structure wise, but we’re basically against the same teams, with a different league name. 

Lots of discussion regarding the new league structure.I can see it would be impossible to solve each individual clubs queries.

However surely the promotion/relegation issues should of taken effect before sorting the new divisions?I can see NIT and NNA point of view gained promotion but playing the same teams-although they will have 3/4 teams from the old Division above in with them where as Falmouth DCFC and Holmans won promotion and play the whole of the same Division as last year plus 5 teams from the league below this could be perceived as relegation.

On a side not Steve I can see three new teams have applied to join the league.What is the procedure and likelihood of them been accepted and if so this would this overcome some of the promotion relegation issues.16 16 16 15 14(this could happen according to the new St Pirans constitution?

Finally why were relegated teams saved as a priority over teams who have gained Promotion not being able to move up a league before restructuring?

2 hours ago, Pitty said:

At first glance I thought similar and was disappointed to see Holmans in the division they were in after finishing in a promotion place,  however if you look at it from the top division down we have in fact jumped a division from last season (as have NIT) and if I was going to class it in ‘Old money’ the league structure is back to what it was 15 years ago with Combo (Premier) at the top followed by 4 ‘Junior Leagues’ which was similar to where we were at following the amalgamation of FHFL and Mining Leagues.

The increase in division size is having a bigger impact the further down the league you go as well due to how small the divisions had become in recent years as we go back up to 14 team leagues so the league has had to fill those spaces from the top down meaning some teams don’t appear to have moved when in fact it’s about competitiveness and ensuring teams around are of the same level

At first glance Div 3 already looks like a nightmare to get promoted out of with both last seasons junior cup finalists in it 😳😂

Looking at a quick glance, it reminds me of how the Duchy League (more so) and the trelawney league were back ten years ago..

Only thing is it now makes the ECPL clubs look as though they've been demoted to Duchy League one...

1 hour ago, Steve Carpenter said:

It's also worth bearing in mind that this would have been the situation without the merger taking place.  The Combination would have needed 5 to get up to strength and with small divisions in Trelawny moving back to divisions of 14 would have given the same outcome.  

Do we know the requirements that are needed to get promoted in each league Steve? When I mean requirements I mean what positions in each league do teams have to finish to get promoted the the league above. 

I know for a fact over the last few seasons, the 'promotion' & 'relegation' has not often meant a lot to teams, however, hopefully now these bigger leagues bring back to competitive side of the game as it was in the 90's and early 2000's.

How are we looking for cups?

3 hours ago, Pitty said:

Mate division 3 looks the league of death lol Going to be interesting for sure 👊👀

6 hours ago, StarsAndStripes said:

Lots of discussion regarding the new league structure. I can see it would be impossible to solve each individual clubs queries.

However surely the promotion/relegation issues should of taken effect before sorting the new divisions?I can see NIT and NNA point of view gained promotion but playing the same teams-although they will have 3/4 teams from the old Division above in with them where as Falmouth DCFC and Holmans won promotion and play the whole of the same Division as last year plus 5 teams from the league below this could be perceived as relegation.

On a side not Steve I can see three new teams have applied to join the league. What is the procedure and likelihood of them been accepted and if so this would this overcome some of the promotion relegation issues.16 16 16 15 14(this could happen according to the new St Pirans constitution?

Finally why were relegated teams saved as a priority over teams who have gained Promotion not being able to move up a league before restructuring?

As was mentioned in the e-mail to the clubs this is the provisional list and experience tells us that there will inevitably be changes and those have already started.  With the gaps above and the move from small to 'normal sized divisions the west in particular was always going to be a bit messy and I've said as much on here before.  This is an imperfect science and not everybody will be happy (clearly!) but this is a big re-set.  We'll see what it looks like in a couple of weeks time.

The new clubs and teams have to be voted in at the AGM as in previous years and will be in competition with the teams up for re-election.   How many get in will depend on the clubs voting and the number of vacancies in Division 4.  The constitution is for 16, 16, 14, 14, 14.

Relegated teams were not prioritised over promoted teams.  All teams promoted teams have moved up the ladder relative to where they were this season.  The option, as allowed in SCOR, to retain otherwise relegated teams was taken to lessen the number of teams being pulled up from lower down.  

6 hours ago, Redstripe said:

Do we know the requirements that are needed to get promoted in each league Steve? When I mean requirements I mean what positions in each league do teams have to finish to get promoted the the league above. 

I know for a fact over the last few seasons, the 'promotion' & 'relegation' has not often meant a lot to teams, however, hopefully now these bigger leagues bring back to competitive side of the game as it was in the 90's and early 2000's.

How are we looking for cups?

The only requirement for promotion other than to the Premier Divisions is to finish in the top two of the division.  Likewise, the bottom two will be relegated unless a team withdraws from a division in which case the number of relegated teams is reduced accordingly.  The requirements for promotion to the Premier Divisions are unchanged in that it is by application (currently), ground grading and a top 4 finish unless a reserve side of a Premier Division club is in the top 4 then the 5th place team can be promoted.  Ground grading standards are set by the FA and will be administered by the Football Foundation but we don't have much detail other than clubs will have to upload the ground details which will then be physically checked by 'someone'.

There will be 3 cups.  The cup for the Premier Divisions will be as the current St Piran League Cup and will be countywide from round 1.  The other two cups (Division 1 & 2 and Division 3 & 4) will be regionalised up to area finals (think Junior Cup of old) and then a final.  The aim was not to duplicate the County Intermediate and Junior cups.

Oh my... I feel very sorry for any league organisers. The leagues have been proposed exactly how they should. 

Lots of whining from teams that have been promoted up a league. Due to the expansion of leagues, there's plenty of backfilling so you'll see a few familiar faces. Big whoop. 

Surely your ambition is to win and get promoted again, regardless of who you play?

Not one person moaning has proposed any sort of alternative.

2 minutes ago, TomTom said:

Oh my... I feel very sorry for any league organisers. The leagues have been proposed exactly how they should. 

Lots of whining from teams that have been promoted up a league. Due to the expansion of leagues, there's plenty of backfilling so you'll see a few familiar faces. Big whoop. 

Surely your ambition is to win and get promoted again, regardless of who you play?

Finally someone talking sense...

Dont see what all the confusion is about. Yes its not ideal and can understand it is underwhelming for the teams in question, however all of these clubs were told the amount of teams which were to be in each new league. Common sense says surely titans, falmouth ect knew they wasn't going to be in a higher division then what they are now... Unless they thought just by walking their leagues comfortably they would be able to jump an extra league above others? 

2 hours ago, TomTom said:

Firstly let’s just clear something up, it isn’t moaning, and I think the League have a hard task, to sort everything out. Hats off to them. 

No we don’t think we should by pass or, walk into another league. 

Also we don’t think cause we was successful, we should jump 2/3 leagues. 

Yes we know the structure was proposed, but no one knew the league set ups as in teams etc! 

We was just hoping to play some different opponents, that was all Tom! As you normally do when you win a league etc! 

We are allowed to have our opinion, that we feel a bit demoralised that we will play the same teams as last year.. that’s a natural feeling. Will we get on with the job in hand of looking for success again? 
The answer is simply YES! Because as we’ve showed over the last couple seasons, we are hungry for it. We’ve had the same squad, Bar one addition, for the last 2 seasons, playing with 14 players, in our squad, except from the manager and assistant kitting up from time to time. 

There is No complaint, to make! Just a natural feeling. 

Thankyou for your valued opinion. And hopefully see you throughout the season somewhere. ☺️

2 hours ago, RustyT said:

Finally someone talking sense...

Dont see what all the confusion is about. Yes its not ideal and can understand it is underwhelming for the teams in question, however all of these clubs were told the amount of teams which were to be in each new league. Common sense says surely titans, falmouth ect knew they wasn't going to be in a higher division then what they are now... Unless they thought just by walking their leagues comfortably they would be able to jump an extra league above others? 

3 hours ago, TomTom said:

It’s not a moan Tom - Looking at the proposed leagues the two sides that could jump a league if natural promotion from last years campaign would be Falmouth DC and Holmans (biased on this one I know) who in the current set up are both sitting at the top of Div 3 to replace St Day and St Buryan both currently in red who would have been relegated under normal Trelawny rules. The way the leagues are forming that is the only one I would question  as all other promotion and relegation places are falling in the middle of divisions.

probably a bit more movement yet if clubs withdraw prior to the season start so will leave it to the fountain of all knowledge and the Jedi ninja himself @Steve Carpenter to enlighten us all at the AGM 😁

Looking at it from another point of view.For instance St Buryan and St Day who struggled all season in Div 1 winning just two games each.Could well of been thinking well next year we can regroup in the lower division following relegation and build again winning some games and being competitive-but now find themselves in the same league and without a big turn around of players could well find themselves struggling again and players becoming demotivated very quickly after a tough last year.Could we’ll see teams fold very early on due to this.

My point is a simple one surely the AGM of the Trelawney league should of taken place finalising positions after promotion and relegation and then the St Pirans divisions picked from there shuffling teams up as required?

By all means save teams from relegation first AFTER those who would of replaced them being awarded their promotion 

For example swap the red teams(relegated (with the green teams(promoted) and sort the numbers there after?

2 hours ago, Pitty said:

It’s not a moan Tom - Looking at the proposed leagues the two sides that could jump a league if natural promotion from last years campaign would be Falmouth DC and Holmans (biased on this one I know) who in the current set up are both sitting at the top of Div 3 to replace St Day and St Buryan both currently in red who would have been relegated under normal Trelawny rules. The way the leagues are forming that is the only one I would question  as all other promotion and relegation places are falling in the middle of divisions.

probably a bit more movement yet if clubs withdraw prior to the season start so will leave it to the fountain of all knowledge and the Jedi ninja himself @Steve Carpenter to enlighten us all at the AGM 😁

No pressure there then @Pitty!!🙄

For consistency of rule application you can't retain some relegated clubs and not others which takes us to the situation we're in.  At risk of repeating myself, something very closely resembling this would have had to take place for next season anyway given the Combo numbers and the numbers in the Trelawny divisions. Everything has squeezed up and Holman SC will be in what would have been Trelawny 1 next season without the re-org.  As I stated, this is a provisional list of divisions and there already some changes that will need to be worked in.  I'm also looking at other refinements which will discussed with the clubs at the Trelawny AGM.  The spread sheet is very much a live document!!

2 hours ago, StarsAndStripes said:

Looking at it from another point of view.For instance St Buryan and St Day who struggled all season in Div 1 winning just two games each.Could well of been thinking well next year we can regroup in the lower division following relegation and build again winning some games and being competitive-but now find themselves in the same league and without a big turn around of players could well find themselves struggling again and players becoming demotivated very quickly after a tough last year.Could we’ll see teams fold very early on due to this.

My point is a simple one surely the AGM of the Trelawney league should of taken place finalising positions after promotion and relegation and then the St Pirans divisions picked from there shuffling teams up as required?

By all means save teams from relegation first AFTER those who would of replaced them being awarded their promotion 

For example swap the red teams(relegated (with the green teams(promoted) and sort the numbers there after?

One thing history tells us is that you can't second guess how strong teams will be from one season to the next and with the option to sign for multiple clubs massively reduced next season it becomes pretty much impossible.

The divisions for next season are not a matter for the Trelawny League as 1. It won't exist and 2. It's an agenda item for the inaugural AGM of the re-vamped St Piran League.

Saving clubs from relegation has taken place after promotion has been applied.  It's not immediately apparent from the provisional placings I'll grant you but that's a consequence of everything squeezing up as mentioned above. 

@Asterix I'm sure you do feel slightly aggrieved by playing a lot of the same sides but equally, many teams were unhappy playing so few games. Thats always been the issue with Trelawny, regular reshuffles of the divisions, through nobodies fault, often see large chunks of a division "promoted" although I'm sure technically its "filling vacancies". Being the bottom rung of the ladder, these clubs will always feel the effects more so than those higher up

At the end of the 20/21 season 10 out of the 11 teams in Div 4 moved up to Div 3.  There isn't an easy solution that pleases everyone. The long term hope is that, with all clubs coming under one League, it will provide more stability and we hopefully will not see such drastic measures for quite some time.

7 hours ago, cornishteddyboy said:

Have Gerrans & St Mawes United got a Sugar Daddy?

A few trips for them in Division Three East including a 130 mile round trip to Bude Town, 120 to Week St Mary, and 110 mile round trip to North Petherwin.

And they can even afford to want to place a Reserve team in Division Four!

Plenty of good people at St Mawes  and a well run club, although there is plenty of money about the club but they save it all up for the one big day of the year that means so much and that’s the Dougie Hearn cup 😉🏆

Wow, a bit of lobbying to@Steve Carpenter for a “leg up” from a few! Love the ignorance shown. 

Is it just me that can see that each side promoted from the ex Trelawny leagues (thank god that committee is almost gone) have in effect been promoted, i.e. are one div closer to Pirans. Yes some other clubs have gained due to the restructure, but I don’t get how promoted clubs are complaining at being hard done by. 

5 hours ago, peggy78 said:

@Asterix I'm sure you do feel slightly aggrieved by playing a lot of the same sides but equally, many teams were unhappy playing so few games. Thats always been the issue with Trelawny, regular reshuffles of the divisions, through nobodies fault, often see large chunks of a division "promoted" although I'm sure technically its "filling vacancies". Being the bottom rung of the ladder, these clubs will always feel the effects more so than those higher up

At the end of the 20/21 season 10 out of the 11 teams in Div 4 moved up to Div 3.  There isn't an easy solution that pleases everyone. The long term hope is that, with all clubs coming under one League, it will provide more stability and we hopefully will not see such drastic measures for quite some time.

I agree with that, and I’m glad it’s been restructured so there’s more games, more fixtures,  more teams per league. 

The forum, isn’t a place to moan, just a platform to voice an opinion! 
The work behind the scenes must be difficult, to keep teams happy. 

31 minutes ago, Mike Pascoe said:

Plenty of good people at St Mawes  and a well run club, although there is plenty of money about the club but they save it all up for the one big day of the year that means so much and that’s the Dougie Hearn cup 😉🏆

Dougie!!!

What utter rubbish the vast majority of these negative replies are, I think the leagues and committee and of course Mr carpenter have done an excellent job with this, and let’s be honest it was probably the only way it could of been done!

like ever on this forum the negativity is from the ones who talk a good game behind their keyboards but never really do anything around the leagues, have no understanding of how things work, but are quick to pipe up just because they feel hard done by! Those clubs who have been ‘put’ into the lower leagues is because that’s the standard your club is currently at!! You can’t moan about that! You can’t expect to jump a league or two just because this season you have a decent team that in your eyes are worthy of playing higher, earn it like everyone else!! You have NO right!

2 hours ago, Sijames said:

What utter rubbish the vast majority of these negative replies are, I think the leagues and committee and of course Mr carpenter have done an excellent job with this, and let’s be honest it was probably the only way it could of been done!

like ever on this forum the negativity is from the ones who talk a good game behind their keyboards but never really do anything around the leagues, have no understanding of how things work, but are quick to pipe up just because they feel hard done by! Those clubs who have been ‘put’ into the lower leagues is because that’s the standard your club is currently at!! You can’t moan about that! You can’t expect to jump a league or two just because this season you have a decent team that in your eyes are worthy of playing higher, earn it like everyone else!! You have NO right!

Yet again repeating myself, never expect us at New Inn Titans to jump 2 or 3 leagues. When we started the campaign, after winning the league last year and being promoted we obviously thought that would be the natural way, it would happen, after winning the league again this year. 

It is not a moan, it’s just an observation. 
Like I’ve said we will just have to play the same teams we played last year and hopefully can get success again. 

@Steve Carpenter and the league do a fantastic job, of which I don’t Envy! 

11 hours ago, Asterix said:

I agree with that, and I’m glad it’s been restructured so there’s more games, more fixtures,  more teams per league. 

The forum, isn’t a place to moan, just a platform to voice an opinion! 
The work behind the scenes must be difficult, to keep teams happy. 

Dougie!!!

Illogans number 1 fan and legend 

1 hour ago, Roche Raider said:

So how do you explain what goes on at likes of Nanpean for example? 

Care to explain? I don't remember my team cheating as per say?

This part of the Forum is for questions about next season.  It is not a place for you to air grievances about what may or may not have happened last season.  I invited you to pass any concerns that you could substantiate by sending me a message, you have yet to do so.  Please post your gripes in the general part of the forum so that they don't detract from the key questions being raised here.

1 hour ago, Steve Carpenter said:

This part of the Forum is for questions about next season.  It is not a place for you to air grievances about what may or may not have happened last season.  I invited you to pass any concerns that you could substantiate by sending me a message, you have yet to do so.  Please post your gripes in the general part of the forum so that they don't detract from the key questions being raised here.

I've switched Roche Raider's issue back onto the main SPL forum.

On 26/05/2023 at 16:21, cornishteddyboy said:

Have Gerrans & St Mawes United got a Sugar Daddy?

A few trips for them in Division Three East including a 130 mile round trip to Bude Town, 120 to Week St Mary, and 110 mile round trip to North Petherwin.

And they can even afford to want to place a Reserve team in Division Four!

No we don't, we just work very hard behind the scenes and are very lucky to have players who are willing to put the miles in (literally).

Reserve team isn't signed off, we are exploring it as a way to support our youth players progressing into adult football. If it happens great, if it doesn't, then we'll have a nice squad and tried our best to offer more football. 

6 hours ago, GSM_UTD said:

No we don't, we just work very hard behind the scenes and are very lucky to have players who are willing to put the miles in (literally).

Reserve team isn't signed off, we are exploring it as a way to support our youth players progressing into adult football. If it happens great, if it doesn't, then we'll have a nice squad and tried our best to offer more football. 

I have noticed Tregony have reapplied to join as well ?  This will mean 3 sides on the Roseland. Hope it all works out for the clubs, player recruitment wise. 🙂