Cornwall Football Forum

St piran league

53 minutes ago, StevieB9 said:

Does anyone actually know what's happening next season? Alot of talk on the grape vines but it all seems to be different. 

So, my question is. Does anyone ACTUALLY know facts, not gossip/rumours of what will happen next season?

If you’re connected with a club, hopefully you had a representative who went along to a meeting a couple months ago when the format was rolled out. They should be able to tell you more. 

To simplify all the current leagues from St Piran down are coming under that league in the pecking order that is now in place.image.gif

This really ain't gonna work well. You're gonna get ridiculously overpowered sides full of pay-to-play ****ers pitted against lowly lads who just wanna kick about 

What happens when likes of Nanpean, Dropship, Falmouth United, Polperro, St Breward just take the proverbial? 

At least with Duchy you knew what you're getting. Gonna be an absolute ****show and won't surprise me when teams start folding like decks of cards come January when players have had enough 

1 hour ago, Roche Raider said:

This really ain't gonna work well. You're gonna get ridiculously overpowered sides full of pay-to-play ****ers pitted against lowly lads who just wanna kick about 

What happens when likes of Nanpean, Dropship, Falmouth United, Polperro, St Breward just take the proverbial? 

At least with Duchy you knew what you're getting. Gonna be an absolute ****show and won't surprise me when teams start folding like decks of cards come January when players have had enough 

Other than the name what is really going to be that different in footballing terms?

12 hours ago, StevieB9 said:

Does anyone actually know what's happening next season? Alot of talk on the grape vines but it all seems to be different. 

So, my question is. Does anyone ACTUALLY know facts, not gossip/rumours of what will happen next season?

What in particular do you want know? We don't do secrets so if I can answer your questions I will.  If I can't I'll either explain why I can't at this stage and answer when i can or get back to you if the answer needs looking into to be accurate.

2 hours ago, Roche Raider said:

Not quite sure how you arrive at your assumptions.  For example Polperro only have one team and are a good side in what will be the Premier East.  

1 hour ago, bighairydave said:

Other than the name what is really going to be that different in footballing terms?

Not a lot, certainly in the eastern half.  After last night's results the east and west divisional make up has become much clearer and there will be discussions about that tomorrow.  My hope is to have the proposed divisions with the clubs on Tuesday.

@Dave Deacon is it worth a standalone q&a thread?  That'll put all of the queries in one place instead of being dotted all over the place.

3 hours ago, Steve Carpenter said:

@Dave Deacon is it worth a standalone q&a thread?  That'll put all of the queries in one place instead of being dotted all over the place.

Yes good idea Steve and I’ve opened up a sub-forum in the St Piran League section.

Any questions regarding the restructuring exercise, please place them there

So am I right that it's one league, from last years St piran down to the old trelawny bottom just changing name? What actual benefits will it have on football in Cornwall or is it so Cornwall fa can cash in on it and make more money?

2 minutes ago, StevieB9 said:

So am I right that it's one league, from last years St piran down to the old trelawny bottom just changing name? What actual benefits will it have on football in Cornwall or is it so Cornwall fa can cash in on it and make more money?

It’s more so to help clubs with funding streams from the FA (through Football Foundation) but also streamlining administration for clubs who now only have one set of rules to follow, one website to log in on and also the acknowledgment that the current ageing committees were on their knees trying to find voiunteers.

3 hours ago, StevieB9 said:

3 hours ago, bighairydave said:

It’s more so to help clubs with funding streams from the FA (through Football Foundation) but also streamlining administration for clubs who now only have one set of rules to follow, one website to log in on and also the acknowledgment that the current ageing committees were on their knees trying to find voiunteers.

Plus it's as close as we're going to get to players being able to sign for only one club.  The clubs all had the option to vote on this and were very strongly in favour - if they hadn't been then it wouldn't have happened.

It is nothing to do with Cornwall FA gaining financially.  The only cash they will get from this league, or any other, is the league sanction fee and the referee appointment levy.  That's no different to now apart from there only being one league paying instead of five.  Club affiliations to County will be different this year due to a mandated change by the FA in the way they are charged and collected.

As an aside, it shouldn't be forgotten that the youth leagues are also merging next season for broadly similar reasons.

The youth leagues will be financially beneficial for Cornwall fa. They will make alot of money from that or they wouldn't have any interest in it. Cornwall FA is about money after all. Take for example club fines where does the money going? However this is about the adults and the league. It sounds like in theory a very good idea. Hopefully it doesn't dilute and poison a league that's become a very good part of cornish football. The standard is high within the teams, the players and the referees which we have to give Cornwall fa some credit as when I was playing the quality wasn't so good. From what you've said I think it maybe a welcome step forward as it worked well with the 2012 merger of the falm helston and mining leagues. This is just on a wider scale. So if I was playing in St piran East say a Newquay team and wanted to sign for say a Truro based team in the West is that still allowed? What about South Western or Western league players?

2 hours ago, StevieB9 said:

The youth leagues will be financially beneficial for Cornwall fa. They will make alot of money from that or they wouldn't have any interest in it. Cornwall FA is about money after all. Take for example club fines where does the money going? However this is about the adults and the league. It sounds like in theory a very good idea. Hopefully it doesn't dilute and poison a league that's become a very good part of cornish football. The standard is high within the teams, the players and the referees which we have to give Cornwall fa some credit as when I was playing the quality wasn't so good. From what you've said I think it maybe a welcome step forward as it worked well with the 2012 merger of the falm helston and mining leagues. This is just on a wider scale. So if I was playing in St piran East say a Newquay team and wanted to sign for say a Truro based team in the West is that still allowed? What about South Western or Western league players?

That wouldn’t be allowed next season. You would be allowed to sign for a SWPL team and for a Western League team.

How will Cornwall FA benefit from the youth merger?

So am I right in saying that the premier will be teams from last seasons St Piran’s (west) with the addition of the promoted Combination teams ie St Just and Praze? Which would (I presume) make St Piran Div 1 (west) basically all the teams from the old Combination league plus a couple from Trelawny Premier to replace those above? 

4 hours ago, StevieB9 said:

Off topic but as you've mentioned it Cornwall FA will not benefit financially from the youth leagues merger.  A grant has been obtained to fund a full time youth league administrator post.  There are set KPIs that all county FA's have to meet and the vast bulk of the income is via an FA grant which is topped up, and it needs to be, by fines and affiliation fees.  The County accounts are published on the site under the Code of Governance tab.

Players will only be able to register for one club in St Piran.  They will also be able to register for a different club in the SWP or WL.

2 hours ago, THEMAGPIE said:

So am I right in saying that the premier will be teams from last seasons St Piran’s (west) with the addition of the promoted Combination teams ie St Just and Praze? Which would (I presume) make St Piran Div 1 (west) basically all the teams from the old Combination league plus a couple from Trelawny Premier to replace those above? 

Correct.  After this week's results we have a much clearer picture of next seasons divisions.  There are a couple of key games in the East this weekend which should sort that section out.

58 minutes ago, StevieB9 said:

How will it work with ground grading etc? Used to be combo and above you had decent facilities now it's acceptable to play on a farmers field

For the Premier Divisions the FA's mandated ground grading criteria will apply.  Below that level only 'reasonable' facilities can be insisted on, anything else would not survive an appeal as they are simply not enforceable.  The minimum criteria are laid down in the draft rules which every club has a copy of.  Clubs will be encouraged to have the best possible facilities and we will work with them and Daniel at Cornwall FA to obtain funding.

11 hours ago, Postman Pat said:

Hopefully with the new one league set up, ground standards will improve as there will only be one set of rules for all clubs to follow.

You'll get clubs bend the rules repeatedly. How do you think some have got so far whilst others left behind? 

2 hours ago, Roche Raider said:

You'll get clubs bend the rules repeatedly. How do you think some have got so far whilst others left behind? 

What examples do you have of clubs bending the rules?  DM me with what you have/think is wrong as this isn't the place for a public debate on that topic.  The procedures for gaining funds for ground improvements are very clear.  There is a massive amount of help and guidance available but you have to ask for it as none of us are psychic.  Yes there's quite a bit of work to do, yes you need to raise some funds yourself first to unlock other funding streams, yes there are some hoops to jump through but if you have someone willing to undertake that then there's quite a bit of cash out there to fund ground improvements and there are lots of projects currently being worked on.  Moving forward we will assist where we can in the process but clubs have to engage in the process otherwise nothing changes.  Those that have done so have reaped the rewards and should provide an incentive for others to follow suit.  

Three questions to start with to do with money so clubs have a bit of an idea re next season. 

Will the affiliation fee be the same across the board, per team, not club as some teams in the lower divisions will be playing less matches?

There was talk of charging an entrance fee for all spectators. Will this be the same across the board or less the further down the league? Say £3 for top four divisions, £2 for the other six.

Finally on money, will there be one set of fines for the same offence across all divisions or will there be a sliding scale? To charge the same would hit the smaller clubs much harder than a Premier club. Will the league rely much more on points reductions as a form of punishment instead?  

Now a question about equipment.

Will there be a standard ball that each team has to use? Will the league decide that brand X, type Y is the standard and teams will have a couple of seasons to comply?

Sorry Steve another one.

Is two up, two down set in stone even at the end of the first season? With the new rule about signing and playing for only one side and it being the first season, there might be some sides folding. Thus we could potentially have top divisions with three less sides and needing to change it to two up, one down, this impacts the lower divisions. 

23 minutes ago, cornishteddyboy said:

Three questions to start with to do with money so clubs have a bit of an idea re next season. 

Will the affiliation fee be the same across the board, per team, not club as some teams in the lower divisions will be playing less matches?

There was talk of charging an entrance fee for all spectators. Will this be the same across the board or less the further down the league? Say £3 for top four divisions, £2 for the other six.

Finally on money, will there be one set of fines for the same offence across all divisions or will there be a sliding scale? To charge the same would hit the smaller clubs much harder than a Premier club. Will the league rely much more on points reductions as a form of punishment instead?  

Now a question about equipment.

Will there be a standard ball that each team has to use? Will the league decide that brand X, type Y is the standard and teams will have a couple of seasons to comply?

Sorry Steve another one.

Is two up, two down set in stone even at the end of the first season? With the new rule about signing and playing for only one side and it being the first season, there might be some sides folding. Thus we could potentially have top divisions with three less sides and needing to change it to two up, one down, this impacts the lower divisions. 

Thanks Paul, some great questions in there.

1.  The affiliation fee is per team and does vary depending on the division in which the team competes.  The clubs have been advised of the fees (£150/£125/£100) and asked not to pay until 1st June by which time they will know which division their team(s) will be in.  The fee also includes the referee appointment levy charged by Cornwall FA which some leagues have invoiced for separately previously and totals @£10k.

2.  Entrance fees have been set at £3 minimum for Prem and D1 and £3 maximum for all other divisions.

3.  The fines are standard across all of the divisions but it's important to remember that the fines listed are the maximum.  Putting these together we looked at the range of fines across the leagues and it's fair to say they varied quite a bit.  We are also very conscious of how difficult it can be for clubs to raise funds and we're not in the business of fining clubs out of existence.  Fines policy will be something for the new committee but previously in St Piran all fines of £25 or less were issued as standard.  All fines above £25 (bar withdrawing from the league) were half value on the first occasion and full thereafter.  The next level after £25 was and will be £50. Points deductions hasn't been used so far in St Piran but that option is part of the Standard Rules so could be taken as a policy by the new committee.  Every case has to be taken on its merits but the great majority are pretty straightforward breaches of rules. I have said repeatedly that we don't want fines income, we want clubs to adhere to the rules and if anyone is ever unsure - ask!

4.  As this season the Mitre Ultimatch  ball will be mandated in the Premier Divisions but not below.  We have plenty of stock at £14-50 a ball which any club can purchase.

5.  Two up two down will be the standard but there are options within the rules to 'retain otherwise relegated clubs' (and that again is an option that will be open to the committee at the AGM next year) and to reduce the number of relegated clubs by the number of withdrawals.  This is never a precise science and inevitably gets driven by numbers.  We all hope that clubs won't dissappear but experience tells us that almost every year teams do fold.  We're over 50 teams down on 10 years ago.  At the moment it looks like all divisions below the Premiers will be full.

Thanks for the answers Steve. 

Like you say, hopefully we don't fine clubs out of existence for going through a rough patch and perhaps not fulfilling fixtures. 

Hopefully each home club can ask for an entrance fee from spectators which they then can put towards help with referee's fees and general running costs. 

Will the league be running some form of benevolent fund for players who fall on hard times due to matchday injuries Iike a broken leg. Say 10% of the collected affiliation fees go towards it each season. 

The Combo was able to claim £200 each season as a grant towards running costs and bought a printer, etc. Will the St Piran be able to claim an amount off the FA equalling five times that amount once all five leagues are joined?

53 minutes ago, cornishteddyboy said:

Thanks for the answers Steve. 

Like you say, hopefully we don't fine clubs out of existence for going through a rough patch and perhaps not fulfilling fixtures. 

Hopefully each home club can ask for an entrance fee from spectators which they then can put towards help with referee's fees and general running costs. 

Will the league be running some form of benevolent fund for players who fall on hard times due to matchday injuries Iike a broken leg. Say 10% of the collected affiliation fees go towards it each season. 

The Combo was able to claim £200 each season as a grant towards running costs and bought a printer, etc. Will the St Piran be able to claim an amount off the FA equalling five times that amount once all five leagues are joined?

The league will be running a benevolent fund which will be a continuation of the current arrangements.  10% of all subscriptions, fees, fines and sponsorship will go to the fund.

The IT support grant, which I think is what you're referring to, stopped two or 3 years ago.  As a feeder league St Piran does get an admin grant from the FA of £3k.

On 18/05/2023 at 20:49, Steve Carpenter said:

Not a lot, certainly in the eastern half.  After last night's results the east and west divisional make up has become much clearer and there will be discussions about that tomorrow.  My hope is to have the proposed divisions with the clubs on Tuesday.

Due to some unforseen family commitments the proposed divisions will now be with the clubs sometime tomorrow.

47 minutes ago, Foul Throw 3 said:

Hi Steve. I know you've told me this via email, but for the benefit of the forum readers, could you give everyone an idea of the dates for the first league game for each league please?
Also, thanks for all of the transparency in these threads. 

A calendar is currently being put together for next season. We're waiting on some dates for FA and County competitions before it can be finalised but the nominal start date is 5th August with all teams to have commenced fixtures by the first Saturday in September.