Cornwall Football Forum

Saltash manager resigns and now a new one appointed!

19 minutes ago, The Town Man said:

Is this true?

Surely Helston aren’t going to freeze out two capable players who would probably stick with the club through thick and thin to favour some lads who are clearly chasing a pay day and would move on if a club closer to home offered the same wage?

17 hours ago, FootballChat said:

Another big player gone. Dave Barker announced by Helston this morning.

Gone from playing for the same amount at Saltash for years to now playing for nearly 8 times that amount at Helston (same Manager @ both clubs) tells me that they have no clue what so ever.

9 hours ago, Tavi Fan said:

Surely Helston aren’t going to freeze out two capable players who would probably stick with the club through thick and thin to favour some lads who are clearly chasing a pay day and would move on if a club closer to home offered the same wage?

An individuals value is what someone is willing to pay them...

I don't think this is a case of player chasing an extra £10 to drive up the price. Helston are certainly putting together a side to be reckoned with this season. The flip side of it is, they'll be a team that a lot of sides circle and will be under pressure from the off. Player movement isn't finished yet, I'm sure there'll still be some big moves that could alter the landscape of the League.

Sides looking to improve, this just builds the excitement for the season :).

12 hours ago, rocky170267 said:

Playing for the Manager

Jewell and Storey were two players very much associated with the "Steve Massey 2020 Vision" project. Are there any of the lads from Helston's highly rated under 18's of a few years back that are still involved with the first team ?

Looks like Matt Cusack is putting his own stamp on the squad

1 hour ago, Way Of The Park said:

Jewell and Storey were two players very much associated with the "Steve Massey 2020 Vision" project. Are there any of the lads from Helston's highly rated under 18's of a few years back that are still involved with the first team ?

Looks like Matt Cusack is putting his own stamp on the squad

Harrison Jewell and Josh Storey 1st team regulars.

Jackson Penhalluric played more for the reserves last season than the 1sts.

Kai Cornish and Tom Hands are still involved but are away at Uni and make themselves available when home.

The rest went elsewhere.

55 minutes ago, Footy follower said:

But what I don't understand is why leave as manager for Millbrook for a new challenge etc and then take the players(not saying that is what he will do)

Well he literally has  no Saltash first team left from last season so unless he has contacts to a complete load of new players I assume the idea was he brings his old team across. 

On 01/06/2023 at 16:14, FootballChat said:

Dave Barker and Callum Martindale confirmed. COB rumoured. What's going to happen to the existing defence?

If Curtis Damerell also signs then where does that leave Rikki Shepherd and Rubin Wilson? Both were very good last season.

Wilson had a decent season , but not of the same quality as Damerell IMO.  I don’t think Wilson has much more improvement in him. Maybe he has reached his playing limit!

6 minutes ago, Both Sides of the Tamar said:

Wilson had a decent season , but not of the same quality as Damerell IMO.  I don’t think Wilson has much more improvement in him. Maybe he has reached his playing limit!

Agreed that Curtis is a step up. But Wilson & Shepherd were 4th & 6th top scorers in the league. Both with over 20 goals.

Hardly slacking!

46 minutes ago, Both Sides of the Tamar said:

They are completely different types of strikers , wilson is an old fashioned number 9 . 24 goals is not a bad return in his first full year of men’s football . After all he’s only 21 , got released from argyle in the middle of covid then had a bad knee injury when at bideford last season . Got back into it a bit at saltash in the second half of last season but was never fit . In my opinion he’s got a lot more to give and age on his side . He certainly can and has played a lot higher 

11 hours ago, FootballChat said:

Agreed that Curtis is a step up. But Wilson & Shepherd were 4th & 6th top scorers in the league. Both with over 20 goals.

Hardly slacking!

Of course not! Shepherd I expected to do well. Wilson far less so. Damerell has looked a huge step up from the latter when I’ve watched both, but TBF different kind of strikers with different strengths!

11 hours ago, Falmouthman said:

Damerell looked a class act when I saw him. The Saltash lads I don’t know well enough. 
Harrison Jewell looks great when I have seen him play, player of the year at Helston last year?? Surprised if he moved on! 

The (former) Saltash duo of Barker and Martindale are both excellent, going forward as well as defending. Let’s face it too - Cuzi knows them very well. Not good signings ….. *great* signings!

11 hours ago, Followallfootball said:

They are completely different types of strikers , wilson is an old fashioned number 9 . 24 goals is not a bad return in his first full year of men’s football . After all he’s only 21 , got released from argyle in the middle of covid then had a bad knee injury when at bideford last season . Got back into it a bit at saltash in the second half of last season but was never fit . In my opinion he’s got a lot more to give and age on his side . He certainly can and has played a lot higher 

Having seen both play quite a few times I stand by my statement, although your response is a fair defence of Rubin Wilson. I should add, it’s not a dig at Wilson, I just think Damerelll much better. 

Moreover, the type of football that will get the best out of Curtis D might be easier on the eye. BC, before Cuzi, Helston were a bit long ball too often for my liking! Each to their own and mixing it up style wise can be hard to counter.

Barker overrated,will have to learn to defend....Martindale good going forward but equally good defending......Damerall a great player.... finisher,can hold ball up....can run............Wilson also a very good front man.........O Brien.....old school big lump of a defender(that's a compliment)...defends first but can also play when needed to.......I would play him alongside storey

Helston looking very good this season so far

1 hour ago, Both Sides of the Tamar said:

Having seen both play quite a few times I stand by my statement, although your response is a fair defence of Rubin Wilson. I should add, it’s not a dig at Wilson, I just think Damerelll much better. 

Moreover, the type of football that will get the best out of Curtis D might be easier on the eye. BC, before Cuzi, Helston were a bit long ball too often for my liking! Each to their own and mixing it up style wise can be hard to counter.

To be fair I can’t really comment on Curtis as I’ve only seen him play a couple of times but the seasons stats would confirm your opinion , he’s obviously a very good player . But myself I’ve watched wilson a lot over the years especially when he was at argyle . If he can get over the massive disappointment of being cruelly released from plymouth in the middle of covid when not being able to play any games ( if I remember rightly he was on loan at Dorchester and they stopped football at that level ) and he gets his love for football back then watch this space !! For me he’s only about 70% the player this season than he was when he got his pro contract so plenty of room to get it back . Hopefully he can if he can get his passion back 100% and get mentally right . If so helston will have a hell of a striker . Either way they have a fantastic front 3 to choose from this season coming .

On 30/05/2023 at 14:10, John Mead said:

The most important fact is that every Club Committee has a duty to ensure their Club's survival. It's very simple to set a budget but far more difficult to accurately predict and/or raise the necessary income to finance it. Supporters should be happy that Clubs " live within their means", rather than risk insolvency or oblivion!

You're totally correct with what you say, but seen far too many examples recently (not just in Cornish football) of club committees chasing the dream and getting badly burned. In the last few seasons we have lost Porthleven and Penryn from step 6 football, plus Godolphin went altogether. Does anybody else fear that the Peninsula League won't finish with the same compliment of clubs that it starts with in August?

On 03/06/2023 at 11:18, Followallfootball said:

To be fair I can’t really comment on Curtis as I’ve only seen him play a couple of times but the seasons stats would confirm your opinion , he’s obviously a very good player . But myself I’ve watched wilson a lot over the years especially when he was at argyle . If he can get over the massive disappointment of being cruelly released from plymouth in the middle of covid when not being able to play any games ( if I remember rightly he was on loan at Dorchester and they stopped football at that level ) and he gets his love for football back then watch this space !! For me he’s only about 70% the player this season than he was when he got his pro contract so plenty of room to get it back . Hopefully he can if he can get his passion back 100% and get mentally right . If so helston will have a hell of a striker . Either way they have a fantastic front 3 to choose from this season coming .

Rubin Wilson was highly regarded at Argyle, but injury blighted his progress there and he was released. Was due to go on loan to Parkway for the final few months of the 2019/20 season before COVID curtailed it, and then appeared in a few pre season games for them before the 2020/21 campaign which came to nothing. Believe there were issues with him being unable to join a then step 5 side as he was by now on a professional contract. As you said, did well at Dorchester in step 3 before Argyle let him go and then went to Bideford for a brief spell where he struggled under their regime (lot of travelling, and I believe they don't train together as a group). Seems to have found a home at Helston where playing regularly has seem him rediscover his fitness and form, if he kicks on again this season can see him playing higher levels again (Mat Cusack will be hoping it's with them).

For what my opinion is worth on the Saltash subject:

yes I’m gutted that a really talented and loyal bunch of lads have left en masse, and I’d like to remember the good times.  I’d like to thank every single one of them for a great season.  

I feel the problem with local football, is making the ‘outside help’ with players wages sustainable.  Not every club can have a Massey or a Russel to bank roll the bog quality signings. 

People may call saltash unambitious but there is a fine line between being successful, doing ground upgrades and more importantly staying in the black. 

I have heard both sides of the story and our new Manager was kind enough to call me for a chat (which was quite thoughtful seeing as I’m just a nobody supporter) and although I’m gutted about the free for all scavenging of last seasons players,  for the greater good, I’d prefer to reset and consolidate our place in the western league, than getting promoted and potentially going busy financially.  

say what you want about the people behind the scenes,  I for one will still be watching the ashes this coming season and wish all the best of luck to Macca in what will be a very tough job.

Also I’d like to wish Danny and all of last seasons squad all the best, and I will still hold you in high esteem for all the memories over the years

Where are the new Saltash signings ? And come to think of it milbrook signings ? Would imagine  both clubs will need a complete new 14-15 players. 
And both clubs in my opinion will struggle towards the bottom end of that league it will be a massively competitive league next season 
I get your point about bankrolling teams but to me he gets a bad press but at least Massey and Russel are trying to progress their respective clubs. 

I’m sorry but Saltash are not they had chances to listen to what previous very good managers wanted and they were not interested. 

6 minutes ago, sportsman10 said:

Where are the new Saltash signings ? And come to think of it milbrook signings ? Would imagine  both clubs will need a complete new 14-15 players. 
And both clubs in my opinion will struggle towards the bottom end of that league it will be a massively competitive league next season 
I get your point about bankrolling teams but to me he gets a bad press but at least Massey and Russel are trying to progress their respective clubs. 

I’m sorry but Saltash are not they had chances to listen to what previous very good managers wanted and they were not interested. 

Totally agree about the 2 named,  but there will be a time when the money dries up, you just have to remember the story of Rushden and Diamonds.

41 minutes ago, Saltash Tim said:

For what my opinion is worth on the Saltash subject:

yes I’m gutted that a really talented and loyal bunch of lads have left en masse, and I’d like to remember the good times.  I’d like to thank every single one of them for a great season.  

I feel the problem with local football, is making the ‘outside help’ with players wages sustainable.  Not every club can have a Massey or a Russel to bank roll the bog quality signings. 

People may call saltash unambitious but there is a fine line between being successful, doing ground upgrades and more importantly staying in the black. 

I have heard both sides of the story and our new Manager was kind enough to call me for a chat (which was quite thoughtful seeing as I’m just a nobody supporter) and although I’m gutted about the free for all scavenging of last seasons players,  for the greater good, I’d prefer to reset and consolidate our place in the western league, than getting promoted and potentially going busy financially.  

say what you want about the people behind the scenes,  I for one will still be watching the ashes this coming season and wish all the best of luck to Macca in what will be a very tough job.

Also I’d like to wish Danny and all of last seasons squad all the best, and I will still hold you in high esteem for all the memories over the years

I thought Parkway were self sufficient?

3 hours ago, Dave Deacon said:

Could it have been a case of knowing it would overstretch them perhaps instead of not being interested?

How would you know that ? I’m pretty sure certain sponship was mentioned being brought in to help with cost.  I get budgeting to make sure you don’t overspend but also we’re is the ambition?  What the point of building a squad worthy of promotion to then pretty much force them all to leave. There no way that Saltash squad would have left of Danny was backed 

45 minutes ago, sportsman10 said:

How would you know that ? I’m pretty sure certain sponship was mentioned being brought in to help with cost.  I get budgeting to make sure you don’t overspend but also we’re is the ambition?  What the point of building a squad worthy of promotion to then pretty much force them all to leave. There no way that Saltash squad would have left of Danny was backed 

Danny said in his interview they wouldn’t have stayed with what was affordable.

This word ambition keeps coming up wrongly really given the costs involved.

1 hour ago, sportsman10 said:

How would you know that?

I didn't! I was asking the question?

At the end of the day, there's no winners in these situations. Yes, you could say the club's committee haven't shown any ambition, but on the other hand, perhaps they can't be blamed for being cautious.

3 hours ago, sportsman10 said:

You've said yourself that Saltash don't get many through the gate watching, so where do you think the money is coming from? Maybe give your money tree a shake and sponsor them.

1 hour ago, silly billy said:

You've said yourself that Saltash don't get many through the gate watching, so where do you think the money is coming from? Maybe give your money tree a shake and sponsor them.

They are about to play a Manchester United legend game i believe that will bring in a fair bit of pre season revenue with 15 quid a ticket sure they did the same last year. 
Also isn’t that one of the reasons why Shane krac walked away was told his sponsorship money he bring in wouldn’t all go towards the first. team. 
to be honest good luck to Saltash they are going to go down the youth players route. Hope it works out.