Cornwall Football Forum

2023-24 Premier Division make up …

(deleted my thread on this as it overlaps).

League features 10 clubs from either Cornwall or Devon (and the likes of Wellington, Bridgwater, Shepton Mallet and Street aren't too far into Somerset). One downside I guess (from a travelling point of view) is Mangotsfield being moved sideways from the Hellenic Premier.

Surprised to see Bitton admitted into Western League Div 1 - no punishment for resigning mid-season.

Cadbury Heath & Keynsham must both have a right to feel aggrieved having worked hard to fulfil their fixtures and incurred all the costs that went with that.

Also presumably there’s a Step 7 club that have failed to be promoted or a Step 6 club that have failed to be reprieved in order to “create” the slot now occupied by Bitton. 

14 minutes ago, GaryHocking said:

Surprised to see Bitton admitted into Western League Div 1 - no punishment for resigning mid-season.

Cadbury Heath & Keynsham must both have a right to feel aggrieved having worked hard to fulfil their fixtures and incurred all the costs that went with that.

I believe that Keynsham wanted to stay up and had they not been relegated would not have taken voluntary relegation like Cadbury Heath have done. A shame as I quite admire what Keynsham are trying to do and they improved greatly as the season progressed. Western Div 1 certainly looking a lot stronger than the season just gone.

1 hour ago, GaryHocking said:

Also presumably there’s a Step 7 club that have failed to be promoted or a Step 6 club that have failed to be reprieved in order to “create” the slot now occupied by Bitton. 

They didn’t resign. They went into a limbo and applied for step 6. It’s weird but not unique 

1 hour ago, SomersetObserver said:

I believe that Keynsham wanted to stay up and had they not been relegated would not have taken voluntary relegation like Cadbury Heath have done. A shame as I quite admire what Keynsham are trying to do and they improved greatly as the season progressed. Western Div 1 certainly looking a lot stronger than the season just gone.

Keynsham did want to stay up but FA make the rules. Gutted for Jules and his wife- the heartbeat of Keynsham Town. 

FC Bristol have gone with Tytherington to Hellenic - in FC Bristol case correcting the mess of one ground in 2 different league! 

Surprised to see Sherborne in the Wessex league. If they were to come back it would make it up to 20 teams. The wessex prem would have 19 with Wessex div 1 with 21. Potentially promote one club to even things out. 

Unless Sherborne are happy were they are. 

5 hours ago, Paul said:

Surprised to see Sherborne in the Wessex league. If they were to come back it would make it up to 20 teams. The wessex prem would have 19 with Wessex div 1 with 21. Potentially promote one club to even things out. 

Unless Sherborne are happy were they are. 

Would be a shame to lose Sherborne Town.  With regards to Mangotsfield United, have a look at their Twitter feed (@MangotsfieldUtd).

4 hours ago, Way Of The Park said:

They don't seem overjoyed to be back in the bosom of the Western League.🙄

That was the feeling I got.

1 hour ago, Philheybrookbay said:

I guess the travel and the fact they’ve little to no chance of going up could be a factor. Diddoms. 

Weren't they in the Southern League for a few seasons?  Bet they wouldn't relish a trip to Mousehole.

On 15/05/2023 at 12:50, cornish leg end said:

Agree seems silly to have an odd number and a team not playing every week. That’s how players lose an interest 

The biigest problem with an odd number of teams is that one unfortunate club will miss out on the Xmas and Easter games. which are usually good money spinners.

36 minutes ago, Town Fan said:

Weren't they in the Southern League for a few seasons?  Bet they wouldn't relish a trip to Mousehole.

Last season was their first season back down at step 5 for 20 years or so, they even had a few seasons during that time up at step 3. They've got quite a decent ground up there with covering on all 4 sides and a nice club house.

10 minutes ago, cornish leg end said:

Be interesting to see what squad st blazey have for first season in this league with most of them leaving to return to st austell. Pointless if you ask me. 

Who exactly is leaving? Only seen Olly Brokenshire announced so far but not checked Twitter tonight admittedly.

Also, who is new St Austell manager?

8 hours ago, The Town Man said:

Who exactly is leaving? Only seen Olly Brokenshire announced so far but not checked Twitter tonight admittedly.

Also, who is new St Austell manager?

I have heard 6/7 are leaving most returning to st austell. Liam one of them again, Giles be back there. Shaun in goal won’t be staying in on could well be at Newquay. Be very interesting to see who blazey sign to replace them. Don’t see the point in the great season last year to get the club promoted only to not want to stay and challenge themselves higher up. 

6 hours ago, cornish leg end said:

I have heard 6/7 are leaving most returning to st austell. Liam one of them again, Giles be back there. Shaun in goal won’t be staying in on could well be at Newquay. Be very interesting to see who blazey sign to replace them. Don’t see the point in the great season last year to get the club promoted only to not want to stay and challenge themselves higher up. 

Would think Shaun Semmens might be in Parkway’s thoughts given their lack of a keeper, unless Kyle Moore goes back or Jordan Duffey leaves Saltash 

On 17/05/2023 at 22:14, cornish leg end said:

Be interesting to see what squad st blazey have for first season in this league with most of them leaving to return to st austell. Pointless if you ask me. 

Most of them leaving?  Ollie Brokenshire only player named so far.

• 3 weeks later...

The FA have confirmed this afternoon that Mangotsfield have been returned to the Hellenic so unless there’s a late change of mind at FA HQ regarding Keynsham’s relegation the Western League Premier will be an 18 team league next season. (One way of saving travel costs I guess.) 

47 minutes ago, GaryHocking said:

The FA have confirmed this afternoon that Mangotsfield have been returned to the Hellenic so unless there’s a late change of mind at FA HQ regarding Keynsham’s relegation the Western League Premier will be an 18 team league next season. (One way of saving travel costs I guess.) 

I thought relegations were worked out by the national PPG system, so where Mangotsfield are shouldn't make any difference.  The FA wanted all Step 5 divisions to consist of twenty clubs, so now there are technically two vacancies in the Western Premier division.