Cornwall Football Forum

Combellack Vehicle Recyclers East Cornwall Premier League Fixtures Sat 13th May

St Columb 5-1 St Dennis Res 

We battled well and could of scored more, but Major took advantage of a few errors and scored 5. Great to be back at the rec even if it was for only 25- 30 mins. Missed a couple players today which probably made a difference in a few areas, but no complaints. 

Nanpean 2 torpoint 6 

nice way to finish the season. Ruthless first half seen us go 5 up. Second half however wasn’t great. Ended up finishing with 9 men due to one being sent on the 88th min for a last man challenge about 25 yards out and the other sent into the bin with a minute left. Both completely unnecessary but heyho who cares now. Unless SNE pull off what no other team have managed in the league (which I hope they do) then that’s us confirmed in third place. Congratulations to foxhole for a very well deserved league victory and north peth for second place after being promoted last season 👏 thank **** that’s over. 

No complaints with our score today lots of tired legs from our perspective with the games we've had lately every one seemed to be a cup final but can't thank the lads enough for continuing to show up n have a go even tho we r struggling at the best of times,don't think we've had the same starting 11 twice this season and it's showed over the course of games as in spells we play some decent stuff but then undo all the hard work by being daft basically, we cost ourselves time after time but it's local grass roots football and it's a hobby so myself n Paul r just happy we get players to play irrelevant of how good we r doing,in hindsight if we went away with 9/10 players to north petherwin n liskeard we'd still have a chance of not getting relegated but it is wot it is and that's it,we got 2 more games then the season is done where we'll re group n have another go,all the best to Casey n his lads for next season and decent food they put on too after the game,pitch was mint as well and reffed superbly by Alan Howells.

Nanpean 2 - 6 Torpoint Athletic

Torpoint goalscorers: Ross x2, Stearnes, Payn, Pearce, Clarke  

Lineup: Jackson, Bark, Pearce, WhiteJ, WhiteS, Robbins, Rowe, Payn Ross, Stearnes, Clarke.

Subs: Blair, Roberts, Cowd, Gibbons. Unused: Hussey. 

Our final game of the season and my final game at the helm. 
A deleted squad in terms of regulars, with 10 missing with more than 10 apps, and even more with less apps than that unavailable. Was close to the 40th person before I was content we had enough. Luckily we could get in Stearnesy from our 2nd team, 3 lads from our 4th team and our “Football Co-Ordinator” we were that desperate. 
Despite this we started strongly. Nanpean battered us two months ago at The Mill 4-1 with Jaffa Rowe & Trudgeon having too much quality. Today Nanpean didn’t have those two and we got our revenge. 
Our first goal was from Aidan Bark driving infield from fullback and sliding in Stearnesy to slide the ball beyond the keeper with the outside of his foot. 
Our 2nd goal was a beautiful selfless tap in from Ross, after some really neat play in our half put Payn through on goal 1v1, who waited for the duracell bunny to catch up with him and a sweaty pass to Payn’s left gave Ross the easiest of finishes with the keeper stranded and no chance of a rescue. 
The 3rd wasn’t long after, around half an hour with Aidan Bark again the creator with a low ball into the box for Ed Clarke to side foot into the corner of the net for his 10th goal of the season, his first in men’s football. Not bad considering a broken ankle in October. 
Less than 60 secs later we were on Nanpean again and Payn smashed one into the top corner from 25yds for 4-0. The 5th was a couple of minutes before the HT break with Aidan Bark getting a hat trick of assists, burst down the right once again to cross into the box for an adventurous Pearce to side foot into the goal on the stretch for 5-0 HT. 
A very good half where we genuinely could’ve had more. Pearce should’ve had a hat trick when smashing the woodwork from a strong header and another chance evading his stretch. 
After 50mins, we had 3 subs on for fresh energy and deserved game time for helping us out in our time of need. But the heat and complacency got to us. Nanpean were  dead on their feet and mostly at a walk in the high temperature. But we moved the ball lethargically ourselves and posed zero threat. We became sloppy, lacked concentration and were poor from then on. Nanpean got one back with a good ball in behind full back and centre half giving the Nanpean wide man the chance to finish for 1-5. We restored our 5 goal advantage after Rowe had forced a reaction save from the keeper, only for the ball to fall to Ross to control and place inside the far post for his 2nd and our 6th from 10 yards. We posed a little more of a threat and 0 goals this season and duck drink bound Aidan Bark was chipped through on goal behind the left back but his giddy touch was unusually no good and allowed a last ditch tackle before he pulled the trigger. Late in the game Nanpean got their 2nd, a superb free kick from the captain from 30yds into the top corner clipping the woodwork on the way in. 
The last meaningful action of the game left us down to 9 men for the remaining 2mins. The Nanpean forward had a foot race with Roberts and both collapsed to the floor with Pearce following up to clear the danger. But the referee blew for a foul and sent Roberts for a last man tackle, our first red card of the season for a lad who travelled to help us out from our 4th team. How’s your luck? No way Pearce wasn’t close enough to stop a goal scoring opportunity or deem it as last man IMO. Credit to the Nanpean players who tried to keep him on the pitch. The following 30secs of this while we set up the wall got Gibbons a sin bin, so we finished the last 2mins in a 4-3-1 formation to see the game out. 
A hot day, only a week after Cornish monsoons postponed games all over the county. Today was more like May weather! Disappointed to not have showers or be fed after the game, but no dramas with the opposition as not a bad tackle all game and was played in good spirits. 
Personally, glad the season is over as it has been stressful. Delighted to retain the League Cup and hopefully we’ve done enough to finish 3rd in the league. it’s been a struggle but there are huge positives as well. Over 180 apps for our u18s and 16s blooding them in a cup winning 3rd/4th placed side is brilliant for them and the club’s future. Look forward to seeing what the future holds for them all. Hopefully this is just a mere platform for them to reach a higher level. 
Finally, congratulations to Seth, Ricks and all at Foxhole for sealing the title today. Worthy league champions! 

15 hours ago, Byron10 said:

Nanpean 2 torpoint 6 

nice way to finish the season. Ruthless first half seen us go 5 up. Second half however wasn’t great. Ended up finishing with 9 men due to one being sent on the 88th min for a last man challenge about 25 yards out and the other sent into the bin with a minute left. Both completely unnecessary but heyho who cares now. Unless SNE pull off what no other team have managed in the league (which I hope they do) then that’s us confirmed in third place. Congratulations to foxhole for a very well deserved league victory and north peth for second place after being promoted last season 👏 thank **** that’s over. 

Is that you retired then 😏😏

St Teath 1-2 St Newlyn East

We got the 3 points needed to still be in with a chance of 3rd was all you could say really. Missing 6 of our normal outfield 10 (Ball, Eglinton, Hawken, Thompson, Brooker and Woodgate) it was always going to be tough but losing others from the squad in the week meant we travelled with 12 players and our regular keeper Nathan Prentice playing at centre half and veteran Steve Harris as our only sub.

Ross London opened the scoring on 16 minutes before brother Owen doubled our lead just after half time. A late goal on 77 mins by St Teath meant for a nervous last 10 minutes but we hung on and credit to players for both sides for playing the game in the right spirit on a hot day (at last) in May.

One more game to go - a nice, easy midweek game at home to new champions Foxhole when our player availability isn’t looking like getting any better but we will try to get the result needed to leapfrog Torpoint into a 3rd place finish - to finish in the top 4 for a small village club in only effectively it’s second full season back in the ECPL is a great achievement and one we can hopefully build on in the new St Pirans League next season.

Jiggy, St Newlyn East AFC

Brief update on looe vs north petherwin

makeshift team for petherwin this week but in IMO good enough to take 3 points we just didnt turn up for 20mins in the second half.

Very disappointed with the conditions of the pitch which was not cut despite the youth pitch next door getting a fresh cut that morning, grass was long and pitch covered in Daisies and Dandelions, in hindsight maybe i should have contested as i felt in the 1st half we played some nice football and if could move the ball quicker we would have opened looe up more. Thanks to the person marking the pitch as we arrived as he also filled in some dangerous divots for us.   

I felt we were better of the sides in the 1st half and had a host of chances but failed to be clinical. We scored 1st as Ben Sharpe showed his pace and pressed the home keeper with the rebound falling to Lewis Haxell to slot home from edge of the area. 10mins later Looe equalized and personally i thought that goal should not have stood due to a clear foul on our DCM Brandon Stott who was pulled back and down whilst taking his second touch in the middle of the park something my CB pairing also thought as everyone stopped and then a ball was played through for Callum Patterson to chip the on rushing Tom Coles. 

Second half we just didn't start and got punished by the direct Looe play and found ourselves 3-1 down in 15mins. we re-grouped and really pushed looe for the last 30mins finding the net in the 71st minute from a delightful Owen Pennington freekick from 20 yards. 

we came close but couldn't find an equalizer which was disappointing as i felt we deserved at least a draw. 

7 hours ago, The Badger said:

Brief update on looe vs north petherwin

makeshift team for petherwin this week but in IMO good enough to take 3 points we just didnt turn up for 20mins in the second half.

Very disappointed with the conditions of the pitch which was not cut despite the youth pitch next door getting a fresh cut that morning, grass was long and pitch covered in Daisies and Dandelions, in hindsight maybe i should have contested as i felt in the 1st half we played some nice football and if could move the ball quicker we would have opened looe up more. Thanks to the person marking the pitch as we arrived as he also filled in some dangerous divots for us.   

I felt we were better of the sides in the 1st half and had a host of chances but failed to be clinical. We scored 1st as Ben Sharpe showed his pace and pressed the home keeper with the rebound falling to Lewis Haxell to slot home from edge of the area. 10mins later Looe equalized and personally i thought that goal should not have stood due to a clear foul on our DCM Brandon Stott who was pulled back and down whilst taking his second touch in the middle of the park something my CB pairing also thought as everyone stopped and then a ball was played through for Callum Patterson to chip the on rushing Tom Coles. 

Second half we just didn't start and got punished by the direct Looe play and found ourselves 3-1 down in 15mins. we re-grouped and really pushed looe for the last 30mins finding the net in the 71st minute from a delightful Owen Pennington freekick from 20 yards. 

we came close but couldn't find an equalizer which was disappointing as i felt we deserved at least a draw. 

I can only apologise for the conditions of the pitch. Being that I’m a one man band behind the scenes, if I’m away things don’t get done. It didn’t help that you asked to move the fixture to different dates and then last minute asked to go back to the original date. I took my wife away for our 20th anniversary thinking the game was going to be midweek. I did fly back from France that day and made it back in time to play 15 minutes though. As we only had bare 11 with reserve team players, a lad had to leave at half time but played until I manage to get there. 

To be honest though, the conditions were as good/poor for us as they were for you. At the end of the day, both home and away, we gave your team a game and on this occasion, we won. 

Anyhow, we’ll meet again next season and hopefully give you another couple of good games. 
Coming 2nd isn’t that bad seeing you only just came up last season from the Duchy. 👏👏👏👍😉

1 hour ago, Boxy said:

I can only apologise for the conditions of the pitch. Being that I’m a one man band behind the scenes, if I’m away things don’t get done. It didn’t help that you asked to move the fixture to different dates and then last minute asked to go back to the original date. I took my wife away for our 20th anniversary thinking the game was going to be midweek. I did fly back from France that day and made it back in time to play 15 minutes though. As we only had bare 11 with reserve team players, a lad had to leave at half time but played until I manage to get there. 

To be honest though, the conditions were as good/poor for us as they were for you. at the end of the day both home and away we gave your team a game. And on this occasion, we won. 

Anyhow, we’ll meet again next season and hopefully give you another couple of good games. 
Coming 2nd isn’t a bad seeing you only just came up last season from the Duchy. 👏👏👏👍😉

Can’t believe the gumption of some people. North Petherwin complaining about the length of grass 😂 I think it’s only the last year or so they’ve gotten themselves a mower, beforehand I think they must’ve relied on horses feeding on it during the week.

Anyway won’t stop me scoring a hatful up there on Saturday, I grew up on hackney marshes, so anything with a goal either end suits me.

Created an account to post an image from August 13th. I think that's a nibble. Horson was in awful state that day wasn't it, having not had rain all summer I'm not surprised, as the whole county had awful pitches except Helston's. Luckily we've only had to use it twice this season. Least you got the 3 points that day and took some nice pictures. 

16 minutes ago, Foul Throw 3 said:

Created an account to post an image from August 13th. I think that's a nibble. Horson was in awful state that day wasn't it, having not had rain all summer I'm not surprised, as the whole county had awful pitches except Helston's. Luckily we've only had to use it twice this season. Least you got the 3 points that day and took some nice pictures. 

Had an account for a while to be fair. Yeah wasn’t great for both teams. Only a little friendly banter, Byron needs to be able to take some back if giving 😉

Thankyou for the opportunity to reply to this. I personally went up and sorted the goal mouth at horsen because the council couldn’t be bothered. I give back more than most. Like callum said we only played at horsen twice and me personally once 👍 I could have left it for everyone else to suffer on being the ridiculously nasty horrible person I am!!!  ironic thing is horsen after a bit of rain and TLC is still a better playing field than north peth ever was or will be. 

67856E5C-A3B5-4E9C-A5A7-A5EC31E94E04.jpeg

27 minutes ago, Byron10 said:

Thankyou for the opportunity to reply to this. I personally went up and sorted the goal mouth at horsen because the council couldn’t be bothered. I give back more than most. Like callum said we only played at horsen twice and me personally once 👍 I could have left it for everyone else to suffer on being the ridiculously nasty horrible person I am!!!  ironic thing is horsen after a bit of rain and TLC is still a better playing field than north peth ever was or will be. 

67856E5C-A3B5-4E9C-A5A7-A5EC31E94E04.jpeg

Behave, freshly being cut as we speak. Incase you were unsure, that’s what real grass looks like 😉

B184701D-3230-4561-9126-1EF063B5095E.jpeg

All joking a side it looks much better than when I last played. Shame it’s still Essentially a pitch on a farm field 👀 congratulations on a well deserved 2nd place this season and goodluck in the st pirans prem or whatever they decide to call it!

33 minutes ago, Byron10 said:

All joking a side it looks much better than when I last played. Shame it’s still Essentially a pitch on a farm field 👀 congratulations on a well deserved 2nd place this season and goodluck in the st pirans prem or whatever they decide to call it!

The swede pitch we use to call it 😂 thanks appreciated. Been a good season on and off the pitch. Next season will be a test but looking forward to it.