Cornwall Football Forum

Crowds, Some good, some woeful!!

Im after some thoughts on the crowds this season. A mixed back for sure. St Blazey this year have averaged over 100 nearly ever game this season. Not bad with not alot to shout about at times. Our away following has been very good. 40+ went to Ivybridge for example. As for Devon clubs bringing support to Blaize Park, well its been woeful at best!! For example, Clyst Rovers today, I doubt they had a car load of fans. Last night, saw a very healthy 304 watched Penzance v Mousehole, a division lower!! Yes, it was played on a friday night which is proving very popular, something that must be done more often next season. I just wonder if for St Blazey as my example, weve lost some good crowds by not playing the likes of Penzance, Newquay, Porthlevan St Austell and Wadebridge.

To the powers thats be, can we please see more Friday night football. Such a shame the weather ruined St Blazeys big crowd chances last friday, although in awful weather, over 130 still made the effort!! :drink:

Witheridge brought 25+ to St Blazey which was more than St Blazey brought up to us so before you start having a go at Devon clubs think about it

Dont wish to split hairs but, can you explain how a full 50 seater coach travelled to and embarked at Witheridge earlier this season then? Yes that included the squad of 14, manager, assistant and physio, but do your calculations and you will find your previous quote may be a little adrift 'Dweller'. :c:

No criticism intended of the Devon Clubs and congrats.to Witheridge for beating us twice.

The point at issue is the apparent lack of interest in crossing the border either way and that is a fact not an accusation.

We are where we are and must all get on with it warts and all.

our north Devon dweller seams to a bit Like a blind man who can only rely on his dog for guidance,

he seems to jump up in the air a bit quick, without thinking,& then it takes another member of the forum to put him back on the right track, with the true facts,

devon Dweller every one on this forum has a right to comment, but take good advice, put your thinking cap on before you make your comments, because at the moment most of your comments are narrow & one sided,

I do not know you ,you may be very young, if you are then we will give you a little more time to grow up,

Hammers :thumbsup::c: :c:

our north Devon dweller seams to a bit Like a blind man who can only rely on his dog for guidance,

he seems to jump up in the air a bit quick, without thinking,& then it takes another member of the forum to put him back on the right track, with the true facts,

devon Dweller every one on this forum has a right to comment, but take good advice, put your thinking cap on before you make your comments, because at the moment most of your comments are narrow & one sided,

I do not know you ,you may be very young, if you are then we will give you a little more time to grow up,

Hammers :thumbsup::c::c:

Ouch! :c:

I wouldn't say its just a Cornwall v Devon problem.

Recent attendances for all-Cornish games not exactly much to write home about:-

Liskeard Athletic v Launceston 69

Bodmin Town v Torpoint Athletic 73

Both well below the official SWPL Premier Division average of 98

Mind you that average is only slightly below the Western League Premier of 104, and that's been boosted this season by the Truro factor. :(

I agree, Witheridge brought a few to Blaize Park, but that 25 is what every club should be bringing, and it isnt hapening. As for beating us twice, well that wasnt the issue, but well done.

Dave, your quite right when you mention the poor crowds in the SWPL. Liskeard and Bodmin have never been able to pull a huge crowd. But for St Blazey, weve, in the past, always had a slightly bigger crowd against Port, Newquay, Penzance to some degree and of course St Austell.

As for clubs looking to move up the leagues, unless you have the backing like Truro to reach the southern league, then I cant see the point in pushing towards the western league as most of those clubs are certainly no better then the SWPL. Only their location puts them in that league!! Their crowds and facilities are certainly no better!! It would be nice to see a few more clubs down here push to reach the southern league......but some serious planning will be needed in order to reach that level.

As for the Blazey fans, we play Cullumpton away on the last day of the season!! Plans are at an early stage, but were planning a theme, possibly a beach party theme, to mark the end of the first SWPL season!!

No problems Dave!! As I said, a very early stage, but we do have a few blow up beach balls, bananas, aliens etc. Hopefully, we will see some decent weather as it will be may!! Saying that, when we beat Callington last season on the last day to win the league, the weather was awful!!

Im after some thoughts on the crowds this season. A mixed back for sure. St Blazey this year have averaged over 100 nearly ever game this season. Not bad with not alot to shout about at times. Our away following has been very good. 40+ went to Ivybridge for example. As for Devon clubs bringing support to Blaize Park, well its been woeful at best!! For example, Clyst Rovers today, I doubt they had a car load of fans. Last night, saw a very healthy 304 watched Penzance v Mousehole, a division lower!! Yes, it was played on a friday night which is proving very popular, something that must be done more often next season. I just wonder if for St Blazey as my example, weve lost some good crowds by not playing the likes of Penzance, Newquay, Porthlevan St Austell and Wadebridge.

To the powers thats be, can we please see more Friday night football. Such a shame the weather ruined St Blazeys big crowd chances last friday, although in awful weather, over 130 still made the effort!! :drink:

im confused i believe you are the same paul who on another thread was ripping into people for only watching plymouth argyles big games . so if you are always at home park and also watching st blazey home and away . can you tell me how you do it please as i would like to play on saturday and watch argyle unfortunately i cant be in two places at once . but obviously you can . amazing

Guest MAGIC FANS 87

Looking forward to the beach party this season, if it all goes well maybe we can make it a regular thinkg at the end of our seasons. Going to buy a big pair of stupid shorts later this week and have already purchased my inflateable banana!

Bring on May!!!!!!!!!!!!

No problem Sammo. I watch every Argyle home match. I have missed 2 home matches for the first time in years this season though. Once, as I went on a stag weekend, and once to watch St Blazey play Newton Abbot Spurs (new ground for me). I work most saturday mornings, so going argyle away isnt so easy. I have managed 5 away games this season. West Ham, Charlton Southampton (all tuesday nights) plus Portsmouth and WBA away.

When im not watching Argyle, youll find me watching St Blazey. So as good as every other week watching them plus St Blazey play plenty of midweek football on wednesday nights. Plus weve played at least 4 times on a friday night. So some weeks Ive ended up watching 3 games in a week.

Because St Blazey have played fewer games this season (lack of good cup runs) there has been fewer fixtures at the end of the season. Ive worked out, by the end of the season, ill will have watched 67 football matches, either Argyle, or St Blazey. Not bad!! When St Blazey had their most successful seasons, i managed to watch over 80 matches for 2 seasons running.

I hope that puts your mind at rest. :thumbsup:

fair enough paul i have been put in my place . only one question left i suppose do you have a wife who lets you go and watch all these games and if you do does she have a sister because im lucky if i can watch football on the telly .

all the best to plymouth and st blazey for the rest of the season

No problems Sammo.

Yes, I do have an understanding other half!!

Well, it goes like this,

Im off to football in a few hours, would you like to come??

No chance, comes the reply!!

Ok, see you later!! :D

Or if I need to bargin a bit......

I could always drop you in Plymouth if youd like to go shopping.......

Easy see!! :yahoo:

I watched Elmore against Cadbury Heath in the Western league division one (same level as SWPL prem) on Wednesday night.

The weather conditions were perfect, yet only 42 turned up to watch the game! Having said that, the club house was jam-packed with people watching some European game that was happening!

You think SWPL attendances struggle? We are actually still very good compared to the rest of the country at this level.

Got to agree with the comments about the Devon clubs though. The culture of away support just does not seem to be there.