Cornwall Football Forum

Shock news coming out of Mount Wise

On 13/05/2023 at 09:48, 100%cornish said:

Have heard possibly 7 of the Blazey team that won the league are leaving because of travelling and work commitments so looks like Martin Giles will be kicking lumps of opponents again this season but what a brilliant player to have in your side and been told he will be back in a St Austell shirt this year with severel other ex St Austell players ,all they need now is a good goalie and Harry Ashton is your man 

Does get a bit tedious people talking endlessly about the "travel commitments ". As pointed out before, 10 of the 20 teams in the Western League next season are Devon & Cornwall based. 

On 16/05/2023 at 17:29, We Two said:

If my memory is correct, Newquay were crowdfunding not very long ago to help finance some remedial work that needed to be done at Mount Wise.

If this is so, how are they now in a position to pay the horrrendous money that is quoted as needed to sign on even bang average players.

Much has been made about the money available at this level for improvement projects at clubs( us included ) and the cry has always been that clubs don't have enough money to fund their contribution to a project.
This is where a committed committee can come in to play and refuse to pay money that is finacially crippling to the club, who risk financial ruin.
A club up north in 2017 paid off their contribution to a a Football Association grant, by doing some of the work themselves which was acceptable to the F.A. grantees.
Back to the need for committed people within a club for things to get done and for it to survive.

Always made me chuckle last year when clubs were rescheduling kick offs to 2.15pm in order to save a few quid on running the floodlights, while a few of these were paying out large sums in "expenses" to players.

Just seen Martin Hodge and Martin Chimes have left Liskeard bit of a shock that seeing they have been there for severel years .

Would love to see Martin Hodge as the Newquay manager Smokie said he would as well ,Martin is a lovely bloke always has time for a chat Newquay should get on the phone to him and ask him if he fancies being there new manager maybe they would even throw in some of there Sausage Rolls as well .

I hope Newquay can get some one in who can get Newquay going in the right direction again a team the size of Newquay should be winning trophies but at the moment that seems a long way off .

Come on Newquay appointment someone with a good track record and not someone no one has ever heard of Martin Gilbert would be me top pick i would of liked to of seen Darren Gilbert as the manager but its pretty obvious he will now become Liskeard manager .

Cant wait for pre season matches to start about 6 weeks time a trip to Bodmin is pencilled in to see Truro play there waiting for Wadebridge to announce there pre season list last seasons was so impressive i was up there every week sometimes twice a week .

The days of big clubs coming down to Cornwall are long gone was Hoping Neil Warnock would of stayed as manager and brought Huddersfield down but hes gone back to plowing his fields here in Cornwall 

Ok Newquay dont get someone on the cheap get someone decent who will bring the glory years back to Mt Wise 

1 hour ago, 100%cornish said:

Just seen Martin Hodge and Martin Chimes have left Liskeard bit of a shock that seeing they have been there for severel years .

Would love to see Martin Hodge as the Newquay manager Smokie said he would as well ,Martin is a lovely bloke always has time for a chat Newquay should get on the phone to him and ask him if he fancies being there new manager maybe they would even throw in some of there Sausage Rolls as well .

I hope Newquay can get some one in who can get Newquay going in the right direction again a team the size of Newquay should be winning trophies but at the moment that seems a long way off .

Come on Newquay appointment someone with a good track record and not someone no one has ever heard of Martin Gilbert would be me top pick i would of liked to of seen Darren Gilbert as the manager but its pretty obvious he will now become Liskeard manager .

Cant wait for pre season matches to start about 6 weeks time a trip to Bodmin is pencilled in to see Truro play there waiting for Wadebridge to announce there pre season list last seasons was so impressive i was up there every week sometimes twice a week .

The days of big clubs coming down to Cornwall are long gone was Hoping Neil Warnock would of stayed as manager and brought Huddersfield down but hes gone back to plowing his fields here in Cornwall 

Ok Newquay dont get someone on the cheap get someone decent who will bring the glory years back to Mt Wise 

You realise their budget wouldn't do anything but get somneobw on the cheap don't you? 

That's the reason why the others left apparently. 

Yes i know the Budget isnt good up there ,dont know why really they have decent crowds there they got there clubhouse and they got there famous Sausage Rolls you need to take out a 2nd Mortgage to buy them . But they are still my club my grandad was secretary in 1934 when Newquay was Newquay Rovers he was Richard  Honey and my dad was on the Committee in the 70s until he had his massive stroke he was called Bill Pearce .

I have been watching Newquay since i was 4 years old im 66 now and i have seen so many great players and trophies being won but not for a long time has any trophies been won by the Newquay team and i want to see that again but think Newquay will have to pay decent money to get sucess back ,i suppose it is wishful thinking Martin Hodge would want to travel all the way to manage Newquay when a job at Saltash is on his doorstep but i have heard that club is now run with a Iron fist so i dont think he would really want that . We are also not  a bad crowd at Mt Wise well most of us are ok 

On 13/05/2023 at 09:48, 100%cornish said:

Have heard possibly 7 of the Blazey team that won the league are leaving because of travelling and work commitments so looks like Martin Giles will be kicking lumps of opponents again this season but what a brilliant player to have in your side and been told he will be back in a St Austell shirt this year with severel other ex St Austell players ,all they need now is a good goalie and Harry Ashton is your man 

Who are all these ex St.Austell players leaving St Blazey? We know that Ollie is one. Tinsley has committed to St Blazey. Can't think of any other ex St Austell players. Jordan Dingle has been announced by St Blazey. Possibly Eddy will not be retained.

On 21/05/2023 at 17:23, 100%cornish said:

He’s not going to go to a club that couldn’t match the ambition of the last manager. Let along his own ambitions!