Cornwall Football Forum

Shock news coming out of Mount Wise

4 minutes ago, Dave Deacon said:

I understand that the Newquay committee have decided that they no longer require the 1st team management and coaching staff! 

the best NQY side iv seen for years. Had been told club in big debt and money troubles so maybe why?. fink most players gone now. Terrible news dont think craig will find hard to get a club done magic with the team after losing jbe price cooper orlando shepherd fallens and lowry. Watched almost every home game and some away he did great a job. Will peppermints even have a team this year? 

Shock news. All the talk at the end of last season was keeping this squad together, making a few additions and having a tilt at the title in 2023/24.

That's now Newquay, Penzance and Millbrook that have lost managers in the last few days. Got a feeling that it will be a turbulent summer on the Cornish football scene.

2 hours ago, Way Of The Park said:

Shock news. All the talk at the end of last season was keeping this squad together, making a few additions and having a tilt at the title in 2023/24.

That's now Newquay, Penzance and Millbrook that have lost managers in the last few days. Got a feeling that it will be a turbulent summer on the Cornish football scene.

A case I think were management and committee having different ideas going forward! 

After 1 point from their first 4 games, Newquay had a top season and certainly looked like they were going in the right direction. One of the few sides to take points off of St Blazey & Liskeard.

Good/committed managers are hard to come by, you'd think that Newquay have something lined up already. The bigger question is whether the new person through the door can hang onto the players.

Who knows or can truthfully reveal what the problem is if there is one at Newquay?
However we have long warned that spending money that you can't readily replace, is a recipe for problems that can only be a poor reflection on the club involved.
So who is at fault, the players for expecting to be paid money that often relies on sposorship that can be withdrawn at any time, or club officials who sanction such payments?
The continued status of any successful business sport or otherwise, is dependant on its income exceeding its expenditure for its existence, not rocket science, but a fact.
How do clubs that pay little or no money manage to exist, Wendron being a prime example of attracting players who perhaps play for the love of the game or club, rather than the money on offer elsewhere.

2 hours ago, sportsman10 said:

Would imagine it won’t be the end of managers leaving.  Tough job nowadays.
lack of players, Lack of money , lack of help from committee as no new blood coming into the clubs.

When you have full time job, juggle home life. And  all also trying to sort out managing a club.  you can see why.  

It's a bloody tough, time consuming and thankless job . One in which every one is a critic, everybody could do it better and you have to deal (on a daily basis) with a lot of fragile egos who sometimes treat playing as something to do if they have nothing better on. Can understand why so many clubs have joint managers these days.

Forgetten his name unfortunately, but can remember Torpoint's ECPL manager from the 2021/22 season talking on the podcast about how (even at that level) it was getting close to being a full time job. Can only imagine what it's like running a step 5/6 team, especially if you haven't got an active and supportive committee behind you (as Torpoint, amongst several others, have).

8 minutes ago, Way Of The Park said:

Forgetten his name unfortunately, but can remember Torpoint's ECPL manager from the 2021/22 season talking on the podcast about how (even at that level) it was getting close to being a full time job. Can only imagine what it's like running a step 5/6 team, especially if you haven't got an active and supportive committee behind you (as Torpoint, amongst several others, have).

He's tired from a mere 35 game season with 1 game still to play. And we don't do the travel of Step 5! Looking forward to a break. Oh wait, 4 weeks disappears and pre season is back! 🤣🤣 Which I've already begun planning asking 15-20 clubs for friendlies last week, only 3 have responded. The joys!

I heard weeks ago from my Radiotherapy friend down Penzance he heard the manager was asking silly money to pay the players and the Committee wouldnt have it .

Such a shame this happening at my team Newquay but they will be ok im sure heard they got a top manager lined up 1 of the best in the game but will he leave a club that has just had a great season who knows but maybe the lure of the famous Mt Wise Sausage Rolls will tempt him .

Such a shame Craig and Ash have gone but they will be in a club for sure when the season starts again .  

Hope the new manager is who i have been told will be aproached because he does not want to do all the travelling in the Western League also heard from another source that a lot of the Newquay lads are leaving and going to St Austell and Blazey 

I had Newquay down to end up in the  top 4 in the new season as well but we will see my top 5 i know its a bit early but here goes 1 LISKEARD 2 WADEBRIDGE 3 WENDRON 4 NEWQUAY 5 ST AUSTELL 

Simple answer is to do with money manager was asking too much money to pay the players ,shame the team is being broken up heard the 3 ex Penryn Players have gone and 2 others gone to St Austell .

Newquay could end up without a team in the Peninsula league when the season starts 

Everything is about money these days players dont play for the love of the game anymore 

If Newquay do pull out of the league i think i will be going to Wadebridge ,St Dennis and St Blazey a lot more because i wont be watching Newquay playing in a lower league 

The problem is a lot of these teams are getting left behind now.  Helston , blazey mousehall  Falmouth etc are where all the players want to go. And I’m afraid the Penzance , newquays  Bodmins and st Austell are nothing more than Sunday league standard  lower league clubs now  so why any  players at these clubs are demanding any money is baffling .

it was always going to go this way and you do worry how many teams will survive.  

On 11/05/2023 at 11:31, Way Of The Park said:

It's a bloody tough, time consuming and thankless job . One in which every one is a critic, everybody could do it better and you have to deal (on a daily basis) with a lot of fragile egos who sometimes treat playing as something to do if they have nothing better on. Can understand why so many clubs have joint managers these days.

Fortunately we've sacked him WOTP and made him take on our St Piran League side... 😂

Could probably comment on it Cornshfootyfanatic but probably best I don’t really. I had some fantastic times as a young Newquay player for 4 seasons and still got many friends at the club and would never be one to slag it off so I might bite my tongue a bit on this occasion! Although with this decision I think the club have gone backwards about 5 seasons!! Macca came in and took the club forward again and then Craig & Ash took it on again further and have built a cracking young team as you said and for those that watch them on a regular basis knew how they are getting better and better and know how close they are to becoming a top side in that league again. Unless the club have something lined up I think this is a ridiculous decision in my opinion for what it’s worth. And to avoid rumour and Chinese whispers I know for a fact Craig asked for the same budget for next season and he was told it would be cut by £200, including nothing for cup games. Despite this the players had a meeting and said they would still stay if he did, and get their own sponsorship to help out the shortfall, but after not being able to agree on other things with the committee such as an extra half hour hiring the 3G for training, even down to new training balls etc they decided to part company with an excellent forward thinking modern young manager that the players really enjoyed playing for and respected. I’m aware there are two sides to every story in life but I think this is a sad day for the club who were heading in the right direction on and off the pitch. It’s probably nothing to do with me anyway with my lad off to Dubai for 2 years but as a supporter I’ll be really sorry to see this team with so much potential break up. They are all off to Marbella next week so I hope they can still have a great time and a fond farewell and I’m sure none of those lads will be short of offers from new clubs in the summer. Jacks already signed for Abu Dhabi Rovers!! 😁👍

2 hours ago, 100%cornish said:

Newquays brilliant goalie Harry Ashton after a club i think he would be asset to any club out there but i think St Austell would be a good fit for him they are going to have a real good side this year .

Did hear st Austell is gonna be a lot of St Blazey nxt yr. can imagine they’ll have a big budget. The young goalie tho in my opinion needs to go somewhere he’ll play every week. It’s not about winning things at the young age. It’s about game time in my opinion 

Have heard possibly 7 of the Blazey team that won the league are leaving because of travelling and work commitments so looks like Martin Giles will be kicking lumps of opponents again this season but what a brilliant player to have in your side and been told he will be back in a St Austell shirt this year with severel other ex St Austell players ,all they need now is a good goalie and Harry Ashton is your man 

11 hours ago, Plympep said:

Did hear st Austell is gonna be a lot of St Blazey nxt yr. can imagine they’ll have a big budget. The young goalie tho in my opinion needs to go somewhere he’ll play every week. It’s not about winning things at the young age. It’s about game time in my opinion 

Ashton not young late 20s early 30s I fink hope he stay but 100% right he would good anywhere. Be good to no trueth about how many leaving but dont fink we will. Phil Lowry could get nqy job as manager he would be best man for job. Cornwall football legend fink will get fallens orlando shepherd dilley and others back. 

Hi Rappo I think on this occasion you have the wrong figures ,suggest you give Steve Rich the secretary a call who

can confirm.

Am I right in thinking all players are on a retained list until june or july ?

Hope your boy has a great time in Dubai ,thats your holidays fixed up.

Hi Baz

like I said, always 2 sides to a story mate and I’ve only heard a few players side of it.

Just think it’s a sad day for the club whatever led to this decision. The club looked to be heading in the right direction again.

Shame the differences couldn’t be ironed out and that the progress could have continued on and off the pitch.

Yeah definitely looking forward to a cheap holiday from the boy! 😁👍😎

Have a good summer mate, and I’ll hopefully catch up with Ian or Steve for a chat, be interested to hear their views from a supporters perspective 👍

9 hours ago, 100%cornish said:

Have heard possibly 7 of the Blazey team that won the league are leaving because of travelling and work commitments so looks like Martin Giles will be kicking lumps of opponents again this season but what a brilliant player to have in your side and been told he will be back in a St Austell shirt this year with severel other ex St Austell players ,all they need now is a good goalie and Harry Ashton is your man 

Why do players spend a season winning promotion to then turn round and say I’m leaving now as I don’t want travel a few hours up the road to play.  Literally don’t understand it. Just go and play in the dutchy league . No ambition from these players at all. No wonder clubs are in the state they are. 

1 hour ago, sportsman10 said:

Why do players spend a season winning promotion to then turn round and say I’m leaving now as I don’t want travel a few hours up the road to play.  Literally don’t understand it. Just go and play in the dutchy league . No ambition from these players at all. No wonder clubs are in the state they are. 

Because they don't have any real affinity with the Club they represent; they play - in no particular order - for the managers, their mates, the money and themselves.

40 minutes ago, Cornishfootyfanatic said:

Tom Whipp and 4 other left NQY after fall out with committee in meeting Friday I told. My friend close to club for years said no panic new manager already has lots players coming with him. Said will be announced before 1st June. Sound like godolphin round 2 scared im going to have no swpl club in town soon. 

Bringing in a new manager with lots of new players only seems to benefit  a club in the short term, as the manager and the players they bring in, are well known for moving from one club to another. If it’s a long term project, that’s different, but this seems to be an impatient move.

On 12/05/2023 at 17:24, RAPPO said:

Could probably comment on it Cornshfootyfanatic but probably best I don’t really. I had some fantastic times as a young Newquay player for 4 seasons and still got many friends at the club and would never be one to slag it off so I might bite my tongue a bit on this occasion! Although with this decision I think the club have gone backwards about 5 seasons!! Macca came in and took the club forward again and then Craig & Ash took it on again further and have built a cracking young team as you said and for those that watch them on a regular basis knew how they are getting better and better and know how close they are to becoming a top side in that league again. Unless the club have something lined up I think this is a ridiculous decision in my opinion for what it’s worth. And to avoid rumour and Chinese whispers I know for a fact Craig asked for the same budget for next season and he was told it would be cut by £200, including nothing for cup games. Despite this the players had a meeting and said they would still stay if he did, and get their own sponsorship to help out the shortfall, but after not being able to agree on other things with the committee such as an extra half hour hiring the 3G for training, even down to new training balls etc they decided to part company with an excellent forward thinking modern young manager that the players really enjoyed playing for and respected. I’m aware there are two sides to every story in life but I think this is a sad day for the club who were heading in the right direction on and off the pitch. It’s probably nothing to do with me anyway with my lad off to Dubai for 2 years but as a supporter I’ll be really sorry to see this team with so much potential break up. They are all off to Marbella next week so I hope they can still have a great time and a fond farewell and I’m sure none of those lads will be short of offers from new clubs in the summer. Jacks already signed for Abu Dhabi Rovers!! 😁👍

Rappo, his end of season party should be good ! 
An “Abu Dhabi Doo” !! 

Havnt heard of any manager being named yet but couple of names going around 1 being Truro City manager John Fabby also heard a manager who must of won more trophies than anyone in the game has been mentioned would love for him to get the job and bring the glory days back to Newquay would be a big coup if he was at Mt Wise but i expect he would want a lot of money 

9 hours ago, 100%cornish said:

Havnt heard of any manager being named yet but couple of names going around 1 being Truro City manager John Fabby also heard a manager who must of won more trophies than anyone in the game has been mentioned would love for him to get the job and bring the glory days back to Newquay would be a big coup if he was at Mt Wise but i expect he would want a lot of money 

Alex Ferguson taking over ? Thought he be too old. 

On 11/05/2023 at 09:14, sportsman10 said:

Would imagine it won’t be the end of managers leaving.  Tough job nowadays.
lack of players, Lack of money , lack of help from committee as no new blood coming into the clubs.

When you have full time job, juggle home life. And  all also trying to sort out managing a club.  you can see why.  

And meanwhile those of us on committees sit on our backside doing nothing - or that's the implication of your posting

12 hours ago, Dave Deacon said:

I would imagine the bulk of the now SWPL West teams are quite content with not winning it as they can’t afford to go up! 

It is a difficult one dave, clubs need to plan years ahead if they want promotion from feeder leagues upwards.

The FA say there is plenty of money available but it's not that simple

. Clubs need to have dedicated long term volunteers and substantial amounts of fund's to fulfil these ambitions.

11 minutes ago, Postman Pat said:

It is a difficult one dave, clubs need to plan years ahead if they want promotion from feeder leagues upwards.

The FA say there is plenty of money available but it's not that simple

. Clubs need to have dedicated long term volunteers and substantial amounts of fund's to fulfil these ambitions.

Judging by the level of recruitment last year, it would seem that Wadebridge have ambitions to go up. Liskeard would also seem to have the resources and ambition.  The grapevine suggested that Wendron would have taken the plunge too if they had managed to better St Blazey.  Newquay possibly, along with St Austell and Bodmin, provided they could all get their playing side in order. Even Bude (subject to ground upgrades).

SWPL West is starting to look more like a lesser league with some of the big boys now having moved on, and as a result, TSWL Prem. is looking more and more centred around Plymouth and Devon so surely it is becoming more sustainable to move up a league now.

12 minutes ago, Postman Pat said:

Clubs need to have dedicated long term volunteers and substantial amounts of fund's to fulfil these ambitions.

And also players who are able to travel the longer distances!

1 minute ago, The Town Man said:

would have taken the plunge

I think the idea of four Cornish clubs going up in season 2022-23 along with four going up from the East SWPL division and then to not have to travel much further than say Wellington was indeed attractive to a few. I'm not so sure now that it's back to presumably one a season, and with travelling further afield, is quite such an attractive offer.

It's also worth remembering that when people say how well Wendron are being run, that it has taken a lot of time and hard work to reap all of these rewards. And good luck to them, my own personal view is how a club should be run and why they have players willing to play for them.

Teams need to follow wendrons footsteps.

no money, loyal players who are happy to play in the standard without huge demands.

every season players jump ship because they can be arsed to step up a higher league or they enjoy being a big fish in a small pond so the champions are usually known by November so people give up.

unfortunately Cornish football is dire now the standard is horrendous and some of the money flying around for bang average players is ludicrous.

newquay will be fine they’ll bring in a new manager get some new players and I’m sure a team will pull out again like every season so they’ll stay up regardless.

If my memory is correct, Newquay were crowdfunding not very long ago to help finance some remedial work that needed to be done at Mount Wise.

If this is so, how are they now in a position to pay the horrrendous money that is quoted as needed to sign on even bang average players.

Much has been made about the money available at this level for improvement projects at clubs( us included ) and the cry has always been that clubs don't have enough money to fund their contribution to a project.
This is where a committed committee can come in to play and refuse to pay money that is finacially crippling to the club, who risk financial ruin.
A club up north in 2017 paid off their contribution to a a Football Association grant, by doing some of the work themselves which was acceptable to the F.A. grantees.
Back to the need for committed people within a club for things to get done and for it to survive.

It’s all very well paying out no money when you travel around Saturday afternoon playing around Cornwall.
But if you step up and demand extra training , late midweek travelling and long Saturdays  then players will want money

Or they will drop back down play with their mates.  Look at millbrook as an example managers now gone ,Players going. The season taking its toll with running it in zero budget 

2 hours ago, sportsman10 said:

The season taking its toll with running it in zero budget 

But they did do it with no money from around November onwards. Could a club try moving up on their existing budget, see how it goes for the next season and during that time assess their required financials for the next season. It's a business basically isn't it with future financial planning a big requirement. 

1 hour ago, Dave Deacon said:

But they did do it with no money from around November onwards. Could a club try moving up on their existing budget, see how it goes for the next season and during that time assess their required financials for the next season. It's a business basically isn't it with future financial planning a big requirement. 

I think you could only do that if you have an absolutely committed 14-16 players willing to see the whole season out.