Cornwall Football Forum

LWC Drinks Combination League/Cup Results - Sat/Sun 29th/30th April 2023

58 minutes ago, isaac rosenberg said:

You, Dave Deacon, lose all credibility by conniving with them to hide it. 

:c: Didn't realise I had any left!

To be honest Rodney - I don't really give a monkey's whether it should have been presented or not, and the more you go on about it, I doubt if many others do either!

Evely Cup Final

Pendeen Rovers 2 - 0 Torpoint Athletic

Lineup: Jackson, Bark, Pearce, WhiteS, Hussey, Robbins, Payn, Brown, Ross, Easterbrook, Clarke.

Subs: Warren, Bartolini, Northcott, WhiteJ, Rio Driver.

A great day in hindsight. Despite the result going against us, I thought we played really well, particularly the first half, and were unfortunate not to score at least 2 or 3. 

The game didn't take long to get some life in it. Ross looked sharp right from the off and beat his opposite man on the inside and smashed the ball against the crossbar around 14mins and the ball stayed out. Close! Pendeen weren't slow out of the blocks either, and minutes later a tackle in our half rebounded through for Alex Ralph to hit the loose ball home to take the lead. This didn't deter us and we got the ball forward to the wide men at every opportunity. 

Around half an hour in, a loose ball in the Pendeen box found Ross first to it and was brought down from behind for a penalty. Hussey stepped up and it was well saved by the Pendeen keeper. We had our foot on the gas now though and Ross continued to be a menace and skipped round the outside of the left back to the byline and squared a low ball into the box for Pearce to control 10 yards out, only to side foot his effort over the bar when leaning back. We had a number of other shooting opportunities but some from 25yards were whiskers wide. Usually I'd be happy to get shots off but on a huge pitch I always felt we had time and space to work the ball into better opportunities and the keeper was left untested at times. 

Late in the half I wondered how we weren't ahead, but with a minute to go a long ball down our left hand side was raced onto by the Pendeen forward and Pearce, who lunged in and brought him down by the touchline. The free kick was whipped in and a coming together between the attacker and Jackson was won by the attacker and nodded in for 2-0. HT.

A harsh score line at the break. We had the chances to be ahead but ultimately didn't take them and it cost us big time. Pendeen had a few chances of their own and were clinical when they did. Ralph again had their other big chance when a Pendeen counter from our corner put him through to round Jackson, but off balance his effort towards goal was cleared off the line by a covering Hussey.

We didn't need to be too defeatist and we had to go for it, but as the 2nd half wore on we simply ran out of time. Around the hour a low cross was met by Clarke, whose size 14s weren't quite big enough for enough contact to divert home from 6yards. Chances decreased in the 2nd half as we stopped moving the ball as well, maybe a bit of desperation crept in. Late in the game a cross from the right hand side was whiskers away from Clarke to tuck in, bounced back off the post and all the way across the line, both Payn and Rio Driver arriving at the back post somehow lost all ability to kick a ball and it rolled away to safety. How 3 players inches from the line can miss a slow moving ball can only be likened to when the NBA players lose their powers in Space Jam to the Monstars. With almost 10 minutes remaining, scoring then would've been game on, but when that one didn't go in, along with the penalty and other big chances, you just knew it wasn't going to be our day. Frankly, we've had too many games like that this season where collectively we've created chances to win most games of football and we have an off day, 8 times! It's harsh to say but it's not good enough and all over we need more goal scorers from all positions. 

Having said that, losing yesterday didn't hurt as much as you'd think, as the Evely Cup is an East vs West Super Cup it's a gimme after both teams have won their league cups to get there. Having won it last year it would've been nice to retain it in it's final year before the merger but hey ho. We weren't the better side in the League Cup Final vs Foxhole and defended like dogs so maybe our luck had reversed for yesterday. That's football!

It was a great day, and despite it being very foggy on arrival, the sun burned through just before KO and it was a warm afternoon. Certainly helped the flow of beers after and both teams mixed and that's how it should be. Sean and his boys were a good bunch and congratulations to them on a successful season. Thanks to Porthleven for hosting and their facilities and pitch are excellent. The team of officials were brilliant too, superb management from Derek right from the off and an easy game to referee with no nasty tackles and only a few cynical ones to stop counters. 

With 4 league games remaining the target now is to hunt SNE down for a top 3 finish and I certainly won't be resting on my laurels. Next game is tomorrow night where we host Roche at The Mill.

1 hour ago, Foul Throw 3 said:

Evely Cup Final

Pendeen Rovers 2 - 0 Torpoint Athletic

Lineup: Jackson, Bark, Pearce, WhiteS, Hussey, Robbins, Payn, Brown, Ross, Easterbrook, Clarke.

Subs: Warren, Bartolini, Northcott, WhiteJ, Rio Driver.

A great day in hindsight. Despite the result going against us, I thought we played really well, particularly the first half, and were unfortunate not to score at least 2 or 3. 

The game didn't take long to get some life in it. Ross looked sharp right from the off and beat his opposite man on the inside and smashed the ball against the crossbar around 14mins and the ball stayed out. Close! Pendeen weren't slow out of the blocks either, and minutes later a tackle in our half rebounded through for Alex Ralph to hit the loose ball home to take the lead. This didn't deter us and we got the ball forward to the wide men at every opportunity. 

Around half an hour in, a loose ball in the Pendeen box found Ross first to it and was brought down from behind for a penalty. Hussey stepped up and it was well saved by the Pendeen keeper. We had our foot on the gas now though and Ross continued to be a menace and skipped round the outside of the left back to the byline and squared a low ball into the box for Pearce to control 10 yards out, only to side foot his effort over the bar when leaning back. We had a number of other shooting opportunities but some from 25yards were whiskers wide. Usually I'd be happy to get shots off but on a huge pitch I always felt we had time and space to work the ball into better opportunities and the keeper was left untested at times. 

Late in the half I wondered how we weren't ahead, but with a minute to go a long ball down our left hand side was raced onto by the Pendeen forward and Pearce, who lunged in and brought him down by the touchline. The free kick was whipped in and a coming together between the attacker and Jackson was won by the attacker and nodded in for 2-0. HT.

A harsh score line at the break. We had the chances to be ahead but ultimately didn't take them and it cost us big time. Pendeen had a few chances of their own and were clinical when they did. Ralph again had their other big chance when a Pendeen counter from our corner put him through to round Jackson, but off balance his effort towards goal was cleared off the line by a covering Hussey.

We didn't need to be too defeatist and we had to go for it, but as the 2nd half wore on we simply ran out of time. Around the hour a low cross was met by Clarke, whose size 14s weren't quite big enough for enough contact to divert home from 6yards. Chances decreased in the 2nd half as we stopped moving the ball as well, maybe a bit of desperation crept in. Late in the game a cross from the right hand side was whiskers away from Clarke to tuck in, bounced back off the post and all the way across the line, both Payn and Rio Driver arriving at the back post somehow lost all ability to kick a ball and it rolled away to safety. How 3 players inches from the line can miss a slow moving ball can only be likened to when the NBA players lose their powers in Space Jam to the Monstars. With almost 10 minutes remaining, scoring then would've been game on, but when that one didn't go in, along with the penalty and other big chances, you just knew it wasn't going to be our day. Frankly, we've had too many games like that this season where collectively we've created chances to win most games of football and we have an off day, 8 times! It's harsh to say but it's not good enough and all over we need more goal scorers from all positions. 

Having said that, losing yesterday didn't hurt as much as you'd think, as the Evely Cup is an East vs West Super Cup it's a gimme after both teams have won their league cups to get there. Having won it last year it would've been nice to retain it in it's final year before the merger but hey ho. We weren't the better side in the League Cup Final vs Foxhole and defended like dogs so maybe our luck had reversed for yesterday. That's football!

It was a great day, and despite it being very foggy on arrival, the sun burned through just before KO and it was a warm afternoon. Certainly helped the flow of beers after and both teams mixed and that's how it should be. Sean and his boys were a good bunch and congratulations to them on a successful season. Thanks to Porthleven for hosting and their facilities and pitch are excellent. The team of officials were brilliant too, superb management from Derek right from the off and an easy game to referee with no nasty tackles and only a few cynical ones to stop counters. 

With 4 league games remaining the target now is to hunt SNE down for a top 3 finish and I certainly won't be resting on my laurels. Next game is tomorrow night where we host Roche at The Mill.

32-25 to the Combo, then. Well done, the 'Deen. You wondered why you weren't ahead ? Well you see, Pendeen put the ball between the little white posts twice. Pard Country clean sweep ! Congratulations to the neighbours, from the Combination League Champions.

Ok lets clear up this situation .................

On Sunday, at the Evely Cup Final, it was the Chairman of the LWC Drinks Cornwall Combination League, Vidal James, who told me that the trophy was at Praze on Saturday, but that St Just should they win, didn't want it presented to them after that match. He asked me to post on here clarifying the situation, which I subsequently did.

I have this evening spoken to John Roberts, the League Secretary, who wants the facts known to everyone.

On Thursday (27th April), John spoke to the secretary of each club, Praze and St Just. John suggested to Praze that should they win, the trophy would be presented to them, and St Just's Ben Way was asked what they would prefer. Ben told John at the time, and Ben has confirmed to me this evening, that even if St Just were to win on Saturday, they would prefer to have the trophy to be presented to them at their last home game of the season.

I'm not re-opening this thread for any further discussion, but I think this clears up the situation.