Cornwall Football Forum

LWC Drinks Combination League/Cup Results - Sat/Sun 29th/30th April 2023

Results

Saturday 29th April 2023

Praze 0-3 St Just (Stuart Nicholls, Neil Curnow, Caleb Marsden)
Att-120

RNAS Culdrose 0-0 Wendron United Thirds
Att-25

St Agnes Reserves (David Price 2, Ben Marks, Daniel Kim) 4-0 Rosudgeon
Att-44

St Ives Town (Andrew Barry, Fred Horsell, Harrison Troon) 3-2 St Day Reserves (Ben West, Jack Vandersluys)
Att-30

Sunday 30th
Evely Cup
Pendeen Rovers (Alex Ralph 2) 2-0 Torpoint Athletic Thirds
Att-112

Massive game at Nancegollan this weekend

Praze win - They win the league

St Just win - They win the league

A draw - St Just need 1 point in their final game against  RNAS Culdrose to win the league. A loss in that match and the title goes to Praze.

Good luck to both sides and well done for taking it down to the wire in a Liverpool v Arsenal 1989 styley 😁

• cornishteddyboy changed the title to LWC Drinks Combination League/Cup Results - Sat/Sun 29th/30th April 2023
48 minutes ago, Rudders said:

Congratulations to St Just on winning the Combination league.

Thank you ! Great performance, opening the scoring through Stu Nicholas after the Praze reserve keeper dropped a clanger. A towering Neil Curnow header from a corner in the 41st minute on his 41st birthday made the game safe. Keeper Caleb Marsden added a second half penalty. Excellently reffed by Anita, though speedster Ashley Ellis kept being flagged in his own half. Can't imagine why. The only negative, the failure of the League Committee representative to bring the trophy and make a presentation. Can't imagine why. Perhaps it's been polished in the Helston clubhouse and they can't get the blue ribbons untied. More League trophies in a day than Penzance gave managed in half a century ! Heigh-ho, said CTB !

23 minutes ago, The Tinner said:

Over to you @ArseneWanger 👍🏻

Good game bud. Fully deserved 👌

28 minutes ago, isaac rosenberg said:

Thank you ! Great performance, opening the scoring through Stu Nicholas after the Praze reserve keeper dropped a clanger. A towering Neil Curnow header from a corner in the 41st minute on his 41st birthday made the game safe. Keeper Caleb Marsden added a second half penalty. Excellently reffed by Anita, though speedster Ashley Ellis kept being flagged in his own half. Can't imagine why. The only negative, the failure of the League Committee representative to bring the trophy and make a presentation. Can't imagine why. Perhaps it's been polished in the Helston clubhouse and they can't get the blue ribbons untied. More League trophies in a day than Penzance gave managed in half a century ! Heigh-ho, said CTB !

Praze reserve keeper.. I’m offended 😂

1 minute ago, isaac rosenberg said:

Don't be. Just teasing. You've had a great season and should be proud of all you have achieved. Cheers for so many interesting games as both teams have been on their way up.

Probably the nicest post I’ve ever seen you write Rodney! 
We were all buzzing for the game but unfortunately just didn’t turn up. We’re hurting at the defeat but if it was gunna be one team to win the league it’s you boys as you’ve got a quality side no doubt. 
For just a bunch of village idiots, to finish in the top 4 is a good achievement and we’ll only rebuild for next season, wherever we end up! Hopefully we don’t have to make this awful trip down to lawfroda in a hurry!

Enjoy your evening 👌

Just now, ArseneWanger said:

Probably the nicest post I’ve ever seen you write Rodney! 
We were all buzzing for the game but unfortunately just didn’t turn up. We’re hurting at the defeat but if it was gunna be one team to win the league it’s you boys as you’ve got a quality side no doubt. 
For just a bunch of village idiots, to finish in the top 4 is a good achievement and we’ll only rebuild for next season, wherever we end up! Hopefully we don’t have to make this awful trip down to lawfroda in a hurry!

Enjoy your evening 👌

Thank you, Arsene. I do nice most of the time, but I've got a green and black rock for a heart. Today is history for us and a lot of people have contributed, past and present. The team who had played more Combo games than any other till recently till our deep dive and resurface makes a suitable last winner of the Combo, I hope. Credit to Terry and Joe, and to Steve Curnow, Terry Burgess, the late Vaughan Williams and Geordie McCullum and all who led the club in good times and bad. Having supported them for 55 years, a first league trophy for 51 years is a very moving experience.

17 minutes ago, BrummyBarry said:

Love how people cant understand a bit of humour/sarcasm 😥 Ill stick to being unfunny. Welldone to st just on their win I personally think every league finale should be like this. If the winner was always going to be a result of this game why wasn't trophy handed out?

Zactly ! You'd have to ask Mr John Roberts. I have just come back to Nancegollan looking for my coat, which I left hanging on a fencepost. Now the fencepost has been taken in ! Does any kind person from Praze have a navy blue anorak with no hood ? If so, please can they ring me on 07833 770127 ? Sitting in the dugout for the moment !

1 minute ago, isaac rosenberg said:

Zactly ! You'd have to ask Mr John Roberts. I have just come back to Nancegollan looking for my coat, which I left hanging on a fencepost. Now the fencepost has been taken in ! Does any kind person from Praze have a navy blue anorak with no hood ? If so, please can they ring me on 07833 770127 ? Sitting in the dugout for the moment !

Sorry, that was 07833 770117.

1 hour ago, isaac rosenberg said:

Sorry, that was 07833 770117.

Will give your number onto the management as I think they put the fencing 👌

Congratulations to Terry and all the St Just lads! A great win to seal the last ever Combination League title and a fitting tribute to a Club that last won it in 1962! I think I’m right in saying the Captain of the last St Just winning team was there today too to see the lads be crowned Champions. Shame the trophy wasn’t there to be presented which would’ve topped the day off. Congratulations from me and Helston AFC! 👏👏

6 hours ago, BAGMAN said:

Congratulations to Terry and all the St Just lads! A great win to seal the last ever Combination League title and a fitting tribute to a Club that last won it in 1962! I think I’m right in saying the Captain of the last St Just winning team was there today too to see the lads be crowned Champions. Shame the trophy wasn’t there to be presented which would’ve topped the day off. Congratulations from me and Helston AFC! 👏👏

That's nice, Bagman. Appreciate that It's not your fault, or Helston FC's, that somebody, somewhere, is probably gnashing his remaining tooth like Father Steptoe on speed at this league outcome . I saw Gerald Searle, a top man, up at  Nancegollan about 2 pm, but I suspect whoever was in possession of the trophy didn't deliver it to him. I don't suppose Pendeen's win on Easter Sunday did much for local dentistry either (well done, Rovers)! I know St Just is not the only club, either, to perceive itself as suffering, over the last forty years from any possible, er, partiality. Somebody had to speak out ! Happy to be martyred. I am simply delighted that we move on to a different league structure next year. The excellent Mr Carpenter is the kind of person who should be administering local football. Please note, Dave Deacon, Brummy Barry and CTB, that nothing has been written in this post slagging off league officers contrary to FA Rule E whatever-it-was. However, CTB, I was a bit perplexed yesterday, when coming up from the tank of Snakebite for a breath of air, to be told of your shocking comments, in writing to a correspondent in St Just, about my past prowess as a Club Assistant Referee. Should you as a League Hofficer be making such ill-advised allusions to an erstwhile Official of the Game ? I should think that's contrary to social media guidelines too, m8 ! Surely, now the Combo is moving on, it would be appropriate for St Just and Pendeen, the last winners, to hold the trophies in perpetuity. Some of you may know that part of the road between St Just and Pendeen has collapsed into forgotten mine workings. I would be happy to fund the construction of a secure mid-point shrine nearby, perhaps in one of the Truthwall or Botallack cowyards, to celebrate the joint achievements of both the teams from Pard Country. This would appropriately accommodate the trophies for ever and  commemorate the magnificent stewardship of all that has been bright and beautiful in the green and pleasant land of Cornwall Combo with a lovely, respectful granite headstone. A bit like Trago Mills, y'know. Moving on, I hope Cornish Football Royalty will be among us on Thursday evening to present the trophy before setting off to take their seat in Westminster Abbey next day. I will make another trip down from Stroud for that priceless presentation. All welcome, for a suitable farewell to the Cornwall Combination League !

6 minutes ago, isaac rosenberg said:

That's nice, Bagman. Appreciate that It's not your fault, or Helston FC's, that somebody, somewhere, is probably gnashing his remaining tooth like Father Steptoe on speed at this league outcome . I saw Gerald Searle, a top man, up at  Nancegollan about 2 pm, but I suspect whoever was in possession of the trophy didn't deliver it to him. I don't suppose Pendeen's win on Easter Sunday did much for local dentistry either (well done, Rovers)! I know St Just is not the only club, either, to perceive itself as suffering, over the last forty years from any possible, er, partiality. Somebody had to speak out ! Happy to be martyred. I am simply delighted that we move on to a different league structure next year. The excellent Mr Carpenter is the kind of person who should be administering local football. Please note, Dave Deacon, Brummy Barry and CTB, that nothing has been written in this post slagging off league officers contrary to FA Rule E whatever-it-was. However, CTB, I was a bit perplexed yesterday, when coming up from the tank of Snakebite for a breath of air, to be told of your shocking comments, in writing to a correspondent in St Just, about my past prowess as a Club Assistant Referee. Should you as a League Hofficer be making such ill-advised allusions to an erstwhile Official of the Game ? I should think that's contrary to social media guidelines too, m8 ! Surely, now the Combo is moving on, it would be appropriate for St Just and Pendeen, the last winners, to hold the trophies in perpetuity. Some of you may know that part of the road between St Just and Pendeen has collapsed into forgotten mine workings. I would be happy to fund the construction of a secure mid-point shrine nearby, perhaps in one of the Truthwall or Botallack cowyards, to celebrate the joint achievements of both the teams from Pard Country. This would appropriately accommodate the trophies for ever and  commemorate the magnificent stewardship of all that has been bright and beautiful in the green and pleasant land of Cornwall Combo with a lovely, respectful granite headstone. A bit like Trago Mills, y'know. Moving on, I hope Cornish Football Royalty will be among us on Thursday evening to present the trophy before setting off to take their seat in Westminster Abbey next day. I will make another trip down from Stroud for that priceless presentation. All welcome, for a suitable farewell to the Cornwall Combination League !

I believe at least the league trophy is continuing to be used.

18 hours ago, ArseneWanger said:

Will give your number onto the management as I think they put the fencing 👌

Thanks, Arsene. Just learned a kind lady at NB ancegollan put my anorak on the St Just minibus. I will get it back on Thursday, whatever it's state ! My thanks to her.

4 hours ago, cornishteddyboy said:

Rodney, 

Keep up!

I haven't been on the committee in a while. I resigned due to ill health.

I'm very sorry to hear that, but not surprised, CTB. It must be very injurious to health generally, operating in that parallel universe. Here's hoping you are restored to your optimum mental and physical condition soon. Then you won't feel the need to send out rude e-mails about Assistant Referees. Are you still on the Penzance committee ? We haven't had their congratulatory telegram yet ! Can we hire the  parking area outside Penlee Park for the next leg of our League Champions Tour of Penwith, please? Are you the one to ask or shall I ring up John Mead ?

6 hours ago, kevin richards said:

Congratulations to St Just. So good to see a wonderful club run by wonderful people getting back to where it should be. 💚🖤

Thank you, Kev. You're one of the old school and always welcome up Lafrowda. The example you continue to set to some of the less enlightened clubs around us is tremendous.

23 hours ago, isaac rosenberg said:

The only negative, the failure of the League Committee representative to bring the trophy and make a presentation. Can't imagine why.

The trophy and personnel were there willing to present but St Just said no, preferring to have given to them on Thursday in front of their home supporters!

17 minutes ago, Dave Deacon said:

The trophy and personnel were there willing to present but St Just said no, preferring to have given to them on Thursday in front of their home supporters!

The trophy must’ve shape-shifted into some swings or a slide then because I definitely didn’t see one there…

Thanks, Arsene. Just learned a kind lady at NB ancegollan put my anorak on the St Just minibus. I will get it back on Thursday, whatever it's state ! My thanks to her.

I'm very sorry to hear that, but not surprised, CTB. It must be very injurious to health generally, operating in that parallel universe. Here's hoping you are restored to your optimum mental and physical condition soon. Then you won't feel the need to send out rude e-mails about Assistant Referees. Are you still on the Penzance committee ? We haven't had their congratulatory telegram yet ! Can we hire the  parking area outside Penlee Park for the next leg of our League Champions Tour of Penwith, please? Are you the one to ask or shall I ring up John Mead ?

I have not been on any committee for a while.

Does that mean I can be taken off your insult, berate, abuse, defame, accuse, denounce list now.

You got your way.

1 hour ago, Dave Deacon said:

Well that’s what the league told me this afternoon! If they were told no, I doubt if they’re going to have it on display!

Not a single member of St Just (players or committee) were asked this question.

Why on earth would we not want to celebrate a trophy we had just won!?

We could’ve at least been notified the league wasn’t going to bother. I would’ve bought an inflatable one off Amazon and then either ourselves or Praze could’ve used that.

9 minutes ago, The Tinner said:

We could’ve at least been notified the league wasn’t going to bother. I would’ve bought an inflatable one off Amazon and then either ourselves or Praze could’ve used that.

Well there’s obviously been a misunderstanding somewhere!

They made a point of asking me this afternoon to correct the suggestion posted earlier on the forum making out that they weren’t there yesterday and could I make it clear they were in a position to present it but were asked no by St Just.

Too late now anyway, best you guys query it direct with the league officers if you need further clarification on the situation.

This slightly reminds me of the time Foxhole won the league a couple of seasons back with a league game or 2 to spare and for some unknown reason we weren’t presented with the cup until our last game of the season which happened to be the league cup final which we ended up losing.

Being given a league winners medal minutes after losing the cup final and the minutes after that having to watch the team that just beat you lift the league cup trophy.

Ruined the whole celebration for the club and felt like we had won nothing. Seems to me it’s laziness and not a misunderstanding. 

56 minutes ago, The Tinner said:

10 minutes ago, Dave Deacon said:

How come when the league were there yesterday with the trophy?

The above quote states otherwise and if they had traveled all that way with the winners medal I’m pretty sure most of the players and management from both teams would have been fully aware. 

12 hours ago, Dave Deacon said:

As I have written - the league! And they were there on Saturday from before the start of the match. And my source for that - me (purely a follower of Cornish football with no axe to grind!).

Oh yeah. Leagues don't speak, people do. Good old football establishment, covering each other's sorry arses. Same as in the 1980s. The trophy wasn't presented because one prominent league committee member hates St Just. Despite his various efforts, the founder member won the league. Nothing against Gerald, the decent man who will be sent down to St Just on Thursday. New structure, new Fixture and Registration Secretary next year.  Bye-bye. Have a nice Flora Day. Glory hallelujah !

21 minutes ago, Dave Deacon said:

It seems you don’t believe me!

Anyway, let’s roll on next season when everyone will be happy! 😀👍

As well you know, I am not questioning your veracity. What you are doing, however, is declining to specify who gave you the information that St Just, as a club, asked for no presentation to take place on Saturday. That is no doubt called protecting your sources, especially if they have been making things up. Anyway, my mate Kev Maguire on the Daily Mirror loves the story and your mate John may well get a call from them this afternoon.

Pendeen 2 torpoint 0 

still wondering how we’ve not won that game to be honest, says it all when the opposition team come away saying the same thing but goals win you games and we just couldn’t take our chances. Played them off the park on an absolute carpet of a pitch and 2 mistakes gifted them the goals but that’s football… all the best to pendeen and congratulations on the cup win and promotion, great season for them and a top bunch of lads. 

3 hours ago, Byron10 said:

Pendeen 2 torpoint 0 

still wondering how we’ve not won that game to be honest, says it all when the opposition team come away saying the same thing but goals win you games and we just couldn’t take our chances. Played them off the park on an absolute carpet of a pitch and 2 mistakes gifted them the goals but that’s football… all the best to pendeen and congratulations on the cup win and promotion, great season for them and a top bunch of lads. 

Well done The Deen ! Three trophies in Pard Country ! Clean sweep ! Bet the Evely Committee didn't suggest they'll present the trophy down Borlase Park next Thursday night, did they ? I never believed in euthanasia before I visited Helston !

4 hours ago, isaac rosenberg said:

What you are doing, however, is declining to specify who gave you the information that St Just, as a club, asked for no presentation to take place on Saturday. That is no doubt called protecting your sources, especially if they have been making things up

🤣 I guess it'll be up for the club to enquire to the league rather than merely a supporter doing it!

29 minutes ago, Dave Deacon said:

🤣 I guess it'll be up for the club to enquire to the league rather than merely a supporter doing it!

Been doing that since 1994, m8. As Lady Macduff's son almost said before he was murdered, there are enough liars there to string up the honest men !                                               Dave, "Whatsoever king may reign, you'll be the Vicar of Bray. " (Goldsmith, The Wakefield Chronicles.").                                    Do you and the League Hofficer ever get uncomfortable, so tightly wedged together like that? 

John Roberts actually phoned myself up last Thursday evening to inform me that if we (Praze) won on Saturday the league would present the trophy to us after the game and If St Just won, the trophy would be presented this week after their  last home game.

Been doing that since 1994, m8. As Lady Macduff's son almost said before he was murdered, there are enough liars there to string up the honest men !                                               Dave, "Whatsoever king may reign, you'll be the Vicar of Bray. " (Goldsmith, The Wakefield Chronicles.").                                    Do you and the League Hofficer ever get uncomfortable, so tightly wedged together like that? 

😃 Ha! Whatever you're smoking Rodney, you ought to share it around! :c: