Cornwall Football Forum

Midweek Combellack Vehicle Recyclers East Cornwall Premier League Fixtures 25th/26th/27th

Torpoint 0 liskeard 3 

fully deserved 3 points for Liskeard, on another day we get 3 goals in the first 45 but couldn’t finish our dinner then they score a brilliant FK just before HT. Second half they battered us all over the park, wonder strike for the second and another set piece we didn’t deal with properly for the third. League position obviously not the priority for us anymore but doesn’t excuse that performance. Onto Thursday for another home fixture and then the big one Sunday where we aim to be the most successful team in the league for the second season running. All the best to JC for the remaining games. 

25 minutes ago, Byron10 said:

Torpoint 0 liskeard 3 

fully deserved 3 points for Liskeard, on another day we get 3 goals in the first 45 but couldn’t finish out dinner then they score a brilliant FK just before HT. Second half they battered us all over the park, wonder strike for the second and another set piece we didn’t deal with properly for the third. League position obviously not the priority for us anymore but doesn’t excuse that performance. Onto Thursday for another home fixture and then the big one Sunday where we aim to be the most successful team in the league for the season season running. All the best to JC for the remaining games. 

Thanks mate, that’s why we all love football, ups and downs. I’m sure you’ll have a cracking Evely Cup Final, go and show Pendeen how good the ECPL is and bring the trophy home. I’m gone now before the negative responses start, have a great end to the season.

38 minutes ago, Byron10 said:

Torpoint 0 liskeard 3 

fully deserved 3 points for Liskeard, on another day we get 3 goals in the first 45 but couldn’t finish out dinner then they score a brilliant FK just before HT. Second half they battered us all over the park, wonder strike for the second and another set piece we didn’t deal with properly for the third. League position obviously not the priority for us anymore but doesn’t excuse that performance. Onto Thursday for another home fixture and then the big one Sunday where we aim to be the most successful team in the league for the season season running. All the best to JC for the remaining games. 

Good luck for Sunday mate,the ccfa certainly like to send u on a road trip that's for sure 😀

I echo Byron's comments. Liskeard deserved the 3 points and 2nd half in particular battered us through effort and mentality. And we were ******* ****! Still in a foul mood this morning as the game we love has big lows as well as highs. We were that poor we didn't even get any dodgy linesman calls from Jon as we didn't get him to do anything. Was chatting to me on/off throughout the 2nd half on the halfway line and that says it all of how our half went. 

13 minutes ago, davegrose said:

Good luck for Sunday mate,the ccfa certainly like to send u on a road trip that's for sure 😀

Last season the Evely Cup Final was hosted by the ECPL which is why it was at St Blazey and we were the "home side" vs Helston. This year the Combo are the hosts so a Combo ground at Porthleven hosting with Pendeen Rovers as the "home side", so we'll be in blue! 

17 minutes ago, Foul Throw 3 said:

I echo Byron's comments. Liskeard deserved the 3 points and 2nd half in particular battered us through effort and mentality. And we were ******* ****! Still in a foul mood this morning as the game we love has big lows as well as highs. We were that poor we didn't even get any dodgy linesman calls from Jon as we didn't get him to do anything. Was chatting to me on/off throughout the 2nd half on the halfway line and that says it all of how our half went. 

Last season the Evely Cup Final was hosted by the ECPL which is why it was at St Blazey and we were the "home side" vs Helston. This year the Combo are the hosts so a Combo ground at Porthleven hosting with Pendeen Rovers as the "home side", so we'll be in blue! 

Didn’t we get a goal chalked off first half for “Offside” 😂

So you hate the blues today Cal, but love them Sunday, good luck in the final mate, speak soon. 💙

4 minutes ago, JonColenzo said:

So you hate the blues today Cal, but love them Sunday, good luck in the final mate, speak soon. 💙

Why do you act like you are Liskeard manager?? You ain't. All you do is the line when i see you 🤔🤣

5 minutes ago, JonColenzo said:

Ah yeah I'd forgotten about the one chalked off. Tbf to the lad on the flag he did explain who was offside and what he saw and he was backed. If he was wrong he'd have been overruled after his explanation.

24 minutes ago, Foul Throw 3 said:

Ah yeah I'd forgotten about the one chalked off. Tbf to the lad on the flag he did explain who was offside and what he saw and he was backed. If he was wrong he'd have been overruled after his explanation.

Yeah happy with that mate, just an observation 

You don't need to know that sir. But this guy shouldn't be taking credit for results when he has nothing to do with the players etc... See you around chaps for more games 😁

44 minutes ago, Foul Throw 3 said:

As if by magic JC knew it was coming. Thanks for not letting us down Pasty Boy. In the words of Cilla Black, what's your name and where do you come from? 

Disagree completely. If a club like Liskeard has their First Team win a huge cup game and their Reserves win a local derby on the same night then anyone associated with them can take credit, from kit man, secretary, groundsman, linesman! Literally anyone & everyone who is a cog in the machine. I was 2nd to arrive at The Mill yesterday to set up, guess who beat me there? Jon! Even IF I was to dislike his club as a rival you have to respect the work people do. If not, you're either naive or blind to it.

3 minutes ago, Foul Throw 3 said:

Disagree completely. If a club like Liskeard has their First Team win a huge cup game and their Reserves win a local derby on the same night then anyone associated with them can take credit, from kit man, secretary, groundsman, linesman! Literally anyone & everyone who is a cog in the machine. I was 2nd to arrive at The Mill yesterday to set up, guess who beat me there? Jon! Even IF I was to dislike his club as a rival you have to respect the work people do. If not, you're either naive or blind to it.

Well played linesman, you deserved the win 🤔🍻🤣 

1 hour ago, Foul Throw 3 said:

Kind words Sir, nothing wrong with rivalry and healthy respect at the same time. The behind the scenes work that Callum and Myself do is endless but we don’t ask for praise, just not abuse from somebody who clearly isn’t involved in running a football club

Torpoint Athletic 0 - 3 Liskeard

Lineup: Jackson, Bark, WhiteJ, Pearce, Hussey, Brown, Robbins, Rowe, Warren, Ross, Tate.

Subs: WhiteS, Northcott, Clarke, Rio Driver, Quintrell.

A tough one to take still 24hrs on. A derby that is always a closely fought encounter and rarely more than a goal or two in it.  But last night we weren't clinical enough in the first half and lacklustre/impotent in the second. 

We started ok and definitely should've been in front. The lack of pace in Liskeard's back line was causing them problems and even poorly weighted balls in behind looked threatening with backtracking players running in quicksand. But the chances that fell to us were poorly executed, lacked composure, quality, etc etc and we were left frustrated with not even testing the stand in goalkeeper. Liskeard's wing backs in Hinks and Harris were threatening themselves, but in a very tough position were being asked questions themselves going backwards with gaps out wide. But in the end Liskeard turned the tie and it was a deep cross from Gilbert out on the left that was headed over by Hinks from inside 10yards when any downward header would've been a tough ask of goalkeeper Jackson. A let off. A set piece wide on the right by Liskeard was swept home by Westall for 1-0, which after a discussion between linesman and the official was ruled out. Another let off. Late in the half a ball into the middle brought Westall and Pearce together and the latter was rightfully punished for a foul and a yellow. With Hopkinson and Gilbert stood over the ball it was to my surprise Gilbert came out on top of the pecking order and showed why. From 25yards he let fly and into the corner for 1-0 minutes before HT.

The opening period of the game was promising but if you're not going to put your foot through the damn thing and stick it in the onion bag you get what you deserve. The second half was a no show from us in possession and offensively. I cannot recall a single shot on goal for 45mins. Maybe we did, but it couldn't have been anything of note. We "tried" to play from the back but it was poor. We gave it away, took too long and encouraged the press or we put it into midfield and didn't keep it. Considering what I perceived to be a weakness in their back line it was a frustrating watch and the attackers were for the most part strangers. Bobby grew into the game for the visitors and his experience showed without moving, the defenders had an easy 45 and around 65-70mins the ball rolled across our third 25-30yards out and Cotton produced a bullet out of nowhere into the top corner for 2-0. 5mins after that a corner was drilled into the box for Westall to guide in a good header against his former club for 3-0 and the nail in the coffin. 

I can handle losing to 3 goals of quality but I don't think Jackson had many saves to make either. So why can't we produce something at the other end ourselves? At HT I asked for belief and courage and from 16 lads maybe 5 can hold their heads high but if we play like that again tomorrow and Sunday we can kiss goodbye to a decent run in for the season. A deflated report. We won the League Cup 3 weeks ago and the ultimate high from that has worn off quickly. If we pull our fingers out tomorrow night I'll be writing the next report in a different frame of mind again in the rollercoaster that is local football. Draining one minute, ecstasy the next. Hopefully the latter come 21:30 tomorrow night where we welcome a young St Blazey reserves side.

Good luck to Liskeard & JC for the promotion push.

On 25/04/2023 at 22:19, LeeRicks9 said:

St dennis 1-1 Roche. 

Roche score late on. Not a pretty game to watch but both teams tried to play. Dave Grose and Perry Harvey for st dennis played extremely well 

I'll agree it wasn't a pretty game to watch as both our teams r more suited to the rough n tumble side of grass roots football n not tippy tappy stuff that looks good on astro turf ricks 🤣,thought either side could of had the 3 points tbh as both teams had ample chances to score but again for wayward shooting and resolute dogged defending,local derbies very rarely produce a game that's pretty to watch as it's normally played between mates from either villages so the tackles be them timed or a little/lot late tend to be abundance and that's wot makes these games the ones we want to be involved in truth be told,both teams gave it their all and if wasn't for us getting all excited for a corner in stoppage time and bombing forward then Roche possibly wouldn't of got the equaliser they probably deserved. Our goal courtesy of the ever green Lee hazeldine who for a sprightly age of 40 certainly knows how to score and is fearless in where he puts head,not sure who got Roche's goal but think Brandon trudgeon had a role in it either the assist or goal?? 

Very well reffed by Paul cackett and aided well by the linos.

All the best to Roche and hopefully we get to play them again next season as I didn't get the chance to nutmeg Paul Osborne or his older brother Neil 😂.

Torpoint AFC 2-0 St Blazey

I know Callum will do his usual report at some point but an entertaining game at The Mill. Couple of pens (one missed for the visitors) and chances aplenty at either end. A mention for the Blazey custodian, Liam Hill, who despite conceding 2 was easily the best player on the pitch.

Some positives for the Torpoint perspective, I've been able to see Ed Clarke and Myles Rio-Driver on a number of occasions this season. By their build/stature you wouldn't think they were 16 but both caused problems for Blazey all evening. With more time and development, I'm sure alongside the other youngsters (Brown, Bark, Burns, Boyd, Warren etc.) that they will progress through the Club.

Torpoint Athletic 2 - 0 St Blazey Res

Torpoint goalscorers: Pearce (pen), Payn.

Lineup: Jackson, Quintrell, Pearce, WhiteS, Warren, Bartolini, Payn, Northcott, Ross, Rio Driver, Clarke.

Subs: Bark, Brown, Rowe, WhiteJ, Halls.

Night and day compared to Tuesday night. I'm sure readers can tell from my report above we were nowhere near good enough and my blood was still boiling last night. We covered all of that an hour before KO and myself and a couple of others got it all off our chest. Some truths were said but fully justified and sometimes things need to be said and feelings need to be hurt. A little criticism is better than losing a game in the manner we did. Anyway, we got a huge reaction. With a completely different WU to our usual routine and the air cleared we were far better and pumped up from the off.

Only 3 changes to the 16 man squad from Tuesday but 7 changes to the starting line up. With 4 games in 9 days and the 3rd on Sunday a Cup Final changes and rotation was obvious with the schedule but every man stepped up and it's amazing how quickly you can turn it round and your mood change!

Onto the game. We started brightly and the slick surface was the catalyst for both teams trying to play "the right way" for the most part and was good to watch. An early chance for us was created inside the left hand channel and a one on one from 16yards was well saved by the young goalkeeper Liam Hill. I'd heard/read comments about him on this forum and social media recently and I did think they can't all be wrong, and they weren't. We stayed on top for the first 25-30mins and deserved the 1-0 lead, with a great bit of play through the middle putting Bartolini inside the box who drew the man and with the outside of his boot smartly prodded a pass wider a few yards to Northcott who had the whole goal to aim at, but Hill was out like lightning and smothered Northcott cutting him in half as Aidy lifted the ball over him to win a penalty. The only mistake from Hill all game who was kept busy throughout. With Robbins and Hussey bombed/rested for Sunday I'd completely forgotten to nominate a penalty taker and having discussed "having a pair" before the game I had no drama with Pearce stepping up and slotting it comfortably down the middle with Hill guessing the wrong way. Knowing the lad can hit the ball a mile one of the subs was already on his way to the youth pitch in case it flew over the bar! 🤣 I was very surprised to see him side foot it. After the goal it was pleasing to see a lack of satisfaction and we continued to push. Chances fell to Ross who drilled at Hill, Clarke who drilled at Hill, Northcott who drilled at hill (note the theme) and a good Northcott corner was met by a strong header from Pearce which wasn't too far off target. Hill's shot stopping with his feet or making himself big was the best I'd seen this season since the opening game of the season vs North Petherwin, who I believe has moved on since. Other keepers at this level with the greatest respect don't save all of those chances. Having said that, I do think we could've scored more with a little more coolness in front of him or maybe trying something different, having seen the nature of his skillset. But in the game you don't have time to reflect like you do from the side. 

It wasn't all Torpoint though as Carr & Trethewey in the Blazey midfield are decent players and moved the ball well themselves. Far too often we were a yard or two off them rather than actual touch tight pressure on the ball and Carr in particular showed his ability and I'm glad he's at Blaise Park now rather than Lostwithiel. Munday was also a bit of a threat but for the most part we dealt with him well physically. 

HT finished 1-0 and I feel we dominated the half offensively and should be 3 or more up. Lots of individual coaching points to address yesterday which took a bit of time to address without really mentioning the fragility of the score line. A worry when I find team talks easier when you're behind!

The 2nd half was better in how we moved the ball around the back and midfield, but Blazey created far more chances themselves and should have been level on at least two occasions. A sustained pressure high in our third with some neat pass and move saw multiple Point players dive in and not sort their footwork out and eventually a Blazey player jockeyed a tackle and drew a foul near the 18yd line. From the home dugout I wasn't sure where it was, but definitely a foul and Nutey pointed to the spot. Luckily for us and a huge let off, Trethewey (I think?) hit a strong penalty at the crossbar with Jackson gone the wrong way and the ball went over for a goal kick. Fortunate but not happy. However, a silver lining for me was the individual reactions. Too often we haven't held each other to account on or off the pitch, and there were far more voices than usual demanding better, more! Not long after, Blazey created another big chance which went in our favour once more and we escaped with many bodies on the line to defend the clean sheet and we eventually cleared. Against the run of play I reckon, one Torpoint attack created shot after shot and in the end a loose ball was calmly controlled and tucked away by a composed Payn with a few defenders in the way. 

By this point we had all 5 subs on and no slouches either, so fresh legs certainly helped us. Quintrell was off after his first start since July and I am really pleased he looks fit and strong again following a bad knee injury. Halls from our u16s was on for his 8th substitute appearance in men's football and continues to impress me with his smarts outweighing his physique. His time will come I'm sure. I considered subbing Clarke who was on only his 2nd start since October who had also suffered a bad injury breaking his ankle but he seemed good to carry on and the 90 will have done him some good. I thought he had a really good game beyond his years and will only improve with games and experience. His link up play, movement and passing deserved a goal for his unselfish performance, if not for Hill and a drilled effort whiskers wide! 

FT 2-0. A justified result and score line, and should have been more. However, if Blazey had equalised when they were on top it would have changed the tide in their favour no doubt. Fine margins. Harsh on Blazey for their spell of pressure and another lesson for us that when on top we need to wrap it up and be more ruthless/clinical. The 2nd goal did help put a dampener on our visitors and was a key time to score. A much better place to be for us now before the Evely Cup Final on Sunday. Some fresh legs back, and thankfully some nicer headaches for me to have compared to a day earlier. 

Good luck to Martin & his Blazey team in the Res and u18s run in! 

1 hour ago, Foul Throw 3 said:

Torpoint Athletic 2 - 0 St Blazey Res

Torpoint goalscorers: Pearce (pen), Payn.

Lineup: Jackson, Quintrell, Pearce, WhiteS, Warren, Bartolini, Payn, Northcott, Ross, Rio Driver, Clarke.

Subs: Bark, Brown, Rowe, WhiteJ, Halls.

Night and day compared to Tuesday night. I'm sure readers can tell from my report above we were nowhere near good enough and my blood was still boiling last night. We covered all of that an hour before KO and myself and a couple of others got it all off our chest. Some truths were said but fully justified and sometimes things need to be said and feelings need to be hurt. A little criticism is better than losing a game in the manner we did. Anyway, we got a huge reaction. With a completely different WU to our usual routine and the air cleared we were far better and pumped up from the off.

Only 3 changes to the 16 man squad from Tuesday but 7 changes to the starting line up. With 4 games in 9 days and the 3rd on Sunday a Cup Final changes and rotation was obvious with the schedule but every man stepped up and it's amazing how quickly you can turn it round and your mood change!

Onto the game. We started brightly and the slick surface was the catalyst for both teams trying to play "the right way" for the most part and was good to watch. An early chance for us was created inside the left hand channel and a one on one from 16yards was well saved by the young goalkeeper Liam Hill. I'd heard/read comments about him on this forum and social media recently and I did think they can't all be wrong, and they weren't. We stayed on top for the first 25-30mins and deserved the 1-0 lead, with a great bit of play through the middle putting Bartolini inside the box who drew the man and with the outside of his boot smartly prodded a pass wider a few yards to Northcott who had the whole goal to aim at, but Hill was out like lightning and smothered Northcott cutting him in half as Aidy lifted the ball over him to win a penalty. The only mistake from Hill all game who was kept busy throughout. With Robbins and Hussey bombed/rested for Sunday I'd completely forgotten to nominate a penalty taker and having discussed "having a pair" before the game I had no drama with Pearce stepping up and slotting it comfortably down the middle with Hill guessing the wrong way. Knowing the lad can hit the ball a mile one of the subs was already on his way to the youth pitch in case it flew over the bar! 🤣 I was very surprised to see him side foot it. After the goal it was pleasing to see a lack of satisfaction and we continued to push. Chances fell to Ross who drilled at Hill, Clarke who drilled at Hill, Northcott who drilled at hill (note the theme) and a good Northcott corner was met by a strong header from Pearce which wasn't too far off target. Hill's shot stopping with his feet or making himself big was the best I'd seen this season since the opening game of the season vs North Petherwin, who I believe has moved on since. Other keepers at this level with the greatest respect don't save all of those chances. Having said that, I do think we could've scored more with a little more coolness in front of him or maybe trying something different, having seen the nature of his skillset. But in the game you don't have time to reflect like you do from the side. 

It wasn't all Torpoint though as Carr & Trethewey in the Blazey midfield are decent players and moved the ball well themselves. Far too often we were a yard or two off them rather than actual touch tight pressure on the ball and Carr in particular showed his ability and I'm glad he's at Blaise Park now rather than Lostwithiel. Munday was also a bit of a threat but for the most part we dealt with him well physically. 

HT finished 1-0 and I feel we dominated the half offensively and should be 3 or more up. Lots of individual coaching points to address yesterday which took a bit of time to address without really mentioning the fragility of the score line. A worry when I find team talks easier when you're behind!

The 2nd half was better in how we moved the ball around the back and midfield, but Blazey created far more chances themselves and should have been level on at least two occasions. A sustained pressure high in our third with some neat pass and move saw multiple Point players dive in and not sort their footwork out and eventually a Blazey player jockeyed a tackle and drew a foul near the 18yd line. From the home dugout I wasn't sure where it was, but definitely a foul and Nutey pointed to the spot. Luckily for us and a huge let off, Trethewey (I think?) hit a strong penalty at the crossbar with Jackson gone the wrong way and the ball went over for a goal kick. Fortunate but not happy. However, a silver lining for me was the individual reactions. Too often we haven't held each other to account on or off the pitch, and there were far more voices than usual demanding better, more! Not long after, Blazey created another big chance which went in our favour once more and we escaped with many bodies on the line to defend the clean sheet and we eventually cleared. Against the run of play I reckon, one Torpoint attack created shot after shot and in the end a loose ball was calmly controlled and tucked away by a composed Payn with a few defenders in the way. 

By this point we had all 5 subs on and no slouches either, so fresh legs certainly helped us. Quintrell was off after his first start since July and I am really pleased he looks fit and strong again following a bad knee injury. Halls from our u16s was on for his 8th substitute appearance in men's football and continues to impress me with his smarts outweighing his physique. His time will come I'm sure. I considered subbing Clarke who was on only his 2nd start since October who had also suffered a bad injury breaking his ankle but he seemed good to carry on and the 90 will have done him some good. I thought he had a really good game beyond his years and will only improve with games and experience. His link up play, movement and passing deserved a goal for his unselfish performance, if not for Hill and a drilled effort whiskers wide! 

FT 2-0. A justified result and score line, and should have been more. However, if Blazey had equalised when they were on top it would have changed the tide in their favour no doubt. Fine margins. Harsh on Blazey for their spell of pressure and another lesson for us that when on top we need to wrap it up and be more ruthless/clinical. The 2nd goal did help put a dampener on our visitors and was a key time to score. A much better place to be for us now before the Evely Cup Final on Sunday. Some fresh legs back, and thankfully some nicer headaches for me to have compared to a day earlier. 

Good luck to Martin & his Blazey team in the Res and u18s run in! 

Good write up Cal as normal. I have heard great reports on Hill, also heard he couldn't get back in at Bude after his injury, seems odd risking a keeper of this quality going elsewhere, wonder if Blazey 1sts will give him ago next season and maybe the reason?  Petherwins Manuel Neuer as you described him that day picked up a nasty knee injury down at St Day in the county cup and why we turned up to yours with no keeper for that cup qtr final 😪

Good luck for Sunday!

51 minutes ago, The Badger said:

Good write up Cal as normal. I have heard great reports on Hill, also heard he couldn't get back in at Bude after his injury, seems odd risking a keeper of this quality going elsewhere, wonder if Blazey 1sts will give him ago next season and maybe the reason?  Petherwins Manuel Neuer as you described him that day picked up a nasty knee injury down at St Day in the county cup and why we turned up to yours with no keeper for that cup qtr final 😪

Good luck for Sunday!

Maybe. Good keepers are gold dust! 

Did wonder where yours went as hadn't seen his name in months. Hopefully when he's back you keep him. Thanks Nick. Good luck for your run in too and well done for the Lanson Cup.