Cornwall Football Forum

Info please.

What was the draw for the PSC quarter finals please so we can fill in the blanks as teams win the groups.

St Keverne v Penzance Reserves  (22nd April 2pm)

Winner Group xx v Winner Group xx

Winner Group xx v Winner Group xx

West Cornwall v New Inn Titans

I know New Inn has won Group G and Dropship won Group F.

Thanks.

GROUP B     WINNERS        V       DROPSHIP               GROUP F 

GROUP D    WINNERS         V       WINNERS               GROUP H 

GROUP E     WINNERS         V      NEW INN TITANS   GROUP G

The new cup format has definitely taken the cup fever away this year. From the Full Time Website it is clear to see some teams in the lower leagues of the trelawny league have produced some giant killings this season yet may not even make it out of the group. Pointless football which has caused a lot of teams to not take this competition seriously and therefore drop out all together. 

Re-think at the Cornwall FA HQ needed. 

14 minutes ago, Redstripe said:

The new cup format has definitely taken the cup fever away this year. From the Full Time Website it is clear to see some teams in the lower leagues of the trelawny league have produced some giant killings this season yet may not even make it out of the group. Pointless football which has caused a lot of teams to not take this competition seriously and therefore drop out all together. 

It’s not a Cornwall FA HQ cup it’s run by the Trelawny League who will be consumed into the St Piran next season so I would be surprised if the current unpopular format is not set to one side. As stated by previous contributors to this forum it’s up to the clubs to voice opinions and consider their voting options at the AGM when changes are proposed.

50 minutes ago, Pitty said:

It’s not a Cornwall FA HQ cup it’s run by the Trelawny League who will be consumed into the St Piran next season so I would be surprised if the current unpopular format is not set to one side. As stated by previous contributors to this forum it’s up to the clubs to voice opinions and consider their voting options at the AGM when changes are proposed.

Oh I see. Based on speaking to several managers, I would be very surprised if the concern is not expressed at the next AGM. Has anyone heard any news on the new league format for next season?

8 hours ago, Redstripe said:

I said this Months ago mate !!,Knew what would happen and it has happened.

12 hours ago, fudge said:

I said this Months ago mate !!,Knew what would happen and it has happened.

Just looking at your results, I can see you have taken 2 very good results off of Ludgvan & Troon who are in a couple of divisions above. Does this mean you now have to beat Helston Raiders by 2 goals or more to qaulify? Even after these fantastic results! WOW!

On 19/04/2023 at 09:20, cornishteddyboy said:

Info please.

What was the draw for the PSC quarter finals please so we can fill in the blanks as teams win the groups.

St Keverne v Penzance Reserves  (22nd April 2pm)

Winner Group v Winner Group

I know New Inn has won Group G and Dropship won Group F.

Thanks.

West Cornwall Vs New Inn Titans, date TBC

On the format, I actually think the idea is a good one, just not brilliantly executed in it's first season.

If you could have it so the group winners, and a couple of best runners up progress to the next round, that would lower the chances of teams just binning the games after losing 1, as you could still progress from 2nd in a tough/tight group.

The above, on top of sprinkling the cup games throughout the season a bit more, rather than an end of season competition type feel would probably also lower the chances of teams not raising sides etc, as it's during the season when lots still to play for.

There's so many cups, that having one with a different format, and a guarantee of 3-4 extra games for teams rather than being dumped out first round after one game is a good one in principle.

On 20/04/2023 at 09:17, Redstripe said:

Just looking at your results, I can see you have taken 2 very good results off of Ludgvan & Troon who are in a couple of divisions above. Does this mean you now have to beat Helston Raiders by 2 goals or more to qaulify? Even after these fantastic results! WOW!

Yes mate weve had two fantastic results,A win tomoz vs the raiders will see us top the group and progress,The lads have been fantastic this season.So proud 

It’s also a joke when teams withdraw from the cup after losing a couple games and the teams yet to play them do not get any goals, this causes teams to miss out on the next round when the other teams has scored 5 or more goals. Surely if a team withdraws then everyone loses the goal difference from the played games or if they withdraw before you get to play them then surely the 3-0 and 3 points should come into play. Can anyone shed any light on this?

Is there a vote on the format again for next season. I personally think it’s a really silly way to format this cup this year. Teams have to risk getting injuries and play games that are totally irrelevant when they may have other more important fixtures to think about. I just feel that after the top team qualify, then it’s hard to motivate the rest of the teams when they have nothing to play for, hence why teams pull out of fixtures 

23 minutes ago, Themanhimself said:

Is there a vote on the format again for next season. I personally think it’s a really silly way to format this cup this year. Teams have to risk getting injuries and play games that are totally irrelevant when they may have other more important fixtures to think about. I just feel that after the top team qualify, then it’s hard to motivate the rest of the teams when they have nothing to play for, hence why teams pull out of fixtures 

With there being no Trelawny League next season will you have to worry?

I really don't get why teams are complaining about this cup. Only suggestion would be group games to be done during the season not at the end of the season.

Our team has beaten two division 1 teams, a 4th division high flyer and lost to a premier team and won our group....it's a cup.....I'm not sure why we would moan about it, to say there's too many games is just not accurate.

On 25/04/2023 at 14:44, cus20 said:

I really don't get why teams are complaining about this cup. Only suggestion would be group games to be done during the season not at the end of the season.

Our team has beaten two division 1 teams, a 4th division high flyer and lost to a premier team and won our group....it's a cup.....I'm not sure why we would moan about it, to say there's too many games is just not accurate.

This cup should have been done on a cup knockout format.  Not group stages, I know a lot of teams who have not taken the PSC seriously this season due to chasing leagues, junior cup and other trophies. Awful format that has caused so many well deserved teams who have beat teams in the division above to just be given '3 points' and still be knocked out of the group stage. Imagine the great spirit these club's would of had through knocking out a big team leagues above and progressing through to the next round awaiting the next big opponent. 

Can also see through the groups that Teams have pulled out, the opposition has not been awarded a GD for this or given points? Look at Illogan for example, some great results and do not even qualify to the next round due to a team dropping out. WASTE OF TIME FOR SOME. I agree with @Smeethy09

It's always a waste of time when you don't qualify, I don't think the format is wrong, just maybe group games played throughout the season .

For example one team went through from the third division beating off a prem team , first division and second division....is that bad...

Might be a tough game in the next round but that can happen in other cups!