Shepton Mallet    1-3         Sherborne Town

Welton Rovers    0-2          Barnstaple Town

LES PHILLIPS CUP

Helston Athletic    1-0       Buckland Athletic

Wednesday 19 Apr 2023 

Cadbury Heath   2-3  Torpoint Athletic

Thursday 20 Apr 2023 

Ashton & Backwell Utd   2-3  Saltash Utd

• Dave Deacon changed the title to Midweek fixtures with results - Tuesday 18th to Thursday 20th April 2023

The top five after Tuesday's results. Saltash have to win on Thursday to keep their hopes alive of possibly catching Mousehole, but that would mean Mousehole having to lose on Saturday!

Mathematically I reckon Barnstaple can still at the moment catch Saltash. They have to win all their remaining games and hope Saltash lose both their last two games!

P W D L F A GD PTS
1 Mousehole 35 25 8 2 90 32 58 83
2 Saltash United 34 24 6 4 91 37 54 78
3 Buckland Athletic 34 22 2 10 66 42 24 68
4 Bridgwater United 35 19 9 7 82 41 41 66
5 Barnstaple Town 32 21 3 8 69 43 26 66

frenetic exhibition of football at fairfax park tonight.

first half hour mousehole ran bridgy ragged

next 15 mins of heavy bridgy pressure culminating in a goal

HT 1-1

first half hour of second half, mousehole run utterly ragged by bridgewater with their second goal also coming from a corner.

my mate steve says "this could end up 4-0 or 2-2"

last 15+ mins and the attack biased substitutions for mousehole see them rampaging relentlessly. andy elcock scores what must have been his best goal ever. a stunning shot from 25 yards.

and then josh bissett equalises on 90.

added time was, er, bonkers. football at its most passionate.

helluva match to watch.

Bridgewater 2 - 2 Mousehole

3 minutes ago, Way Of The Park said:

Hopefully Saltash win at A&B tomorrow night. We would then get a dramatic last day, with the Western League trophy parked up somewhere on the A30 and ready to head either east or west. 

Totally agree with you! Amazing isn't it - 35 games into the season and it could all be down to the very last game! Well done to Mousehole and Saltash :thumbsup:

14 minutes ago, Dave Deacon said:

Totally agree with you! Amazing isn't it - 35 games into the season and it could all be down to the very last game! Well done to Mousehole and Saltash :thumbsup:

The Western League title race does have a habit recently of serving up final day drama.

The last couple of completed seasons saw Willand, Parkway and Bitton going into the last match of 2018/19 as all being able to win it, while Tavistock and Exmouth were locked together on identical points heading into the last Saturday of the 2021/22 season.

27 minutes ago, Way Of The Park said:

Hopefully Saltash win at A&B tomorrow night. We would then get a dramatic last day, with the Western League trophy parked up somewhere on the A30 and ready to head either east or west. 

I’m picturing the Western League helicopter hovering over Brown Willy, ready to land dramatically at either Waterways or Trungle at 5pm 🚁 

12 minutes ago, Way Of The Park said:

The Western League title race does have a habit recently of serving up final day drama.

The last couple of completed seasons saw Willand, Parkway and Bitton going into the last match of 2018/19 as all being able to win it, while Tavistock and Exmouth were locked together on identical points heading into the last Saturday of the 2021/22 season.

Tavi & Exmouth finished on 79 & 77 points last season (after 36 games). Mousehole & Saltash already on 83 & 78 points after 35 & 34 respectively so it’s been quite the title race.  

A very tight evenly contested first half at Fairfax Park with chances few and far between looked destined to be 0-0 at the interval until Bridgwater got their first corner of the game and just like in their previous visits to Somerset at Wellington & Shepton, Mousehole were unable to deal with a set piece into the box as centre back Jacob Spence rose highest to head home at make it 1-0.

Then a quarter of an hour into the second half it was the same story another corner into the box and the unmarked Spence was on hand again to head home. From then Bridgwater were looking comfortable with Jack Thorne blazing over a chance to make it 3 when one on one with the keeper. Mousehole's best chance of the half had come a few minutes into it as Goldsworthy put a half chance just wide of the near post other than that Mousehole were reduced to long range speculative efforts but on 88 minutes it was one of those efforts that brought the game to life as Elcock let fly from 25 yards and the ball was destined for the keepers top left hand corner from the moment it left his boot.

This breathed new life and energy into Mousehole as they began to lay siege to the Bridgwater goal then in the fourth minute of stoppage time a long pass from Elcock found another sub in Bray-Evans who shrugged of a defender and crossed the ball for another sub the unmarked Bisset to head home from inside the six yard box.

You'd have been forgiven for thinking that would be the end of the drama but Mousehole could sense they had Bridgwater on the ropes and that the title was there for the taking. A succession of corners were dealt with by Bridgwater who by now were camped in their own penalty area but you sensed that there may just be one more chance and that chance did come very deep into stoppage time as a frantic scramble in the Bridgwater area eventually fell to a Mousehole player about 10 yards from goal but he could only hit the keepers legs.

Eventually in the 11th minute of stoppage time the ref finally blew for full time bringing to an end a pulsating finale. Where all the stoppage time came from I'm not quite sure but I'm not complaining about it I'd have been happy for him to play next goal wins and I don't think it would have taken long for Mousehole to get it.   

By my count there were four stoppages for injuries during stoppage time which the referee presumably added to whatever number he first started with, and he also indicated that he would be adding further time for the stoppage time throw-in shenanigans which resulted in the original throw-in taker receiving a booking 

It’s only my guess but I doubt that more than five minutes of actual football was played during the +10 

Just watched the Bridgwater manager’s post match interview. He was very unhappy about the amount of added time (fair enough, but Mousehole’s 2nd goal was scored in the 93rd minute and it’s difficult to imagine anyone thinking there should have been less than 3 minutes added) but also a Mousehole foul in the build-up to the 2nd goal. Any Bridgwater supporters or neutrals able to shed any light on this? I didn’t see anything at the time and can’t see anything on any of the clips that are circulating. 

15 minutes ago, GaryHocking said:

Just watched the Bridgwater manager’s post match interview. He was very unhappy about the amount of added time (fair enough, but Mousehole’s 2nd goal was scored in the 93rd minute and it’s difficult to imagine anyone thinking there should have been less than 3 minutes added) but also a Mousehole foul in the build-up to the 2nd goal. Any Bridgwater supporters or neutrals able to shed any light on this? I didn’t see anything at the time and can’t see anything on any of the clips that are circulating. 

I personally didn't see anything wrong with it but I assume he was complaining that Bray-Evans pushed the Bridgwater defender (can't remember who it was) to make the space to cross the ball but to me it just looked like good strength to shrug him off and make a yard for himself to cross it.

8 hours ago, GaryHocking said:

I’m picturing the Western League helicopter hovering over Brown Willy, ready to land dramatically at either Waterways or Trungle at 5pm 🚁 

Tavi & Exmouth finished on 79 & 77 points last season (after 36 games). Mousehole & Saltash already on 83 & 78 points after 35 & 34 respectively so it’s been quite the title race.  

Try McDonalds Car Park bottom of Hamburger Hill 😅

Report – Wednesday 19th April 2023

Cadbury Heath 2-3 Torpoint Athletic

Toolstation Western League, Premier Division

With Robbie Morris at Springfield

Torpoint Athletic made the long mid week trip to Bristol to play Cadbury Heath on Wednesday night at Springfield and came back the victors against the bottom club who are battling for survival in the Western Premier Division. The match was a battle throughout, but the visitors came out on top for their fifth straight win on the trot  and are now undefeated in seven to consolidate a mid-table position in their first season at step 5.

Torpoint started the brightest between the two teams, probing the home defence with some decent half chances.

On the tenth minute, Gary Hird for ‘The Point’ put the visitors in front when he fired home from 12 yards after some good build up play between Ryan Richards and Curtis Damerell.

Seven minutes later the hosts equalised against the run of play when Harry Goldspink heads home from 15 yards after a cross in to the area.

Then on 22nd minute, to the shock of the visitors, Cadbury Heath took the lead when Ali Boyer blasts home from 15 yards after some good build up play by the home side’s midfield.

On the half hour mark Torpoint levelled the scores when Gary Hird was brought down in the area for Curtis Damerell to fire home from the spot.

Two minutes later Damerell and Hird interchange passes to lay the ball through to Ryan Richards who sees his effort from 15 yards rebound off the home side crossbar.

Nine minutes into the second half Torpoint took the lead, when Damerell fires home a curling shot from the edge of the area for what was the eventual winner.

Just past the hour mark Ali Boyer for the home side good work to cut into the area to see his effort goes wide.

Six minutes later Torpoint are still trying to extend their advantage when Damerell’s effort from the edge of the area was well saved by home keeper Jamie Powell.

With eight minutes remaining, Gary Hird for the visitors beat three defenders and cut into the area. His effort went just wide of the far post from an acute angle.

Cadbury Heath: J. Powell, V. Winstone, F. Anderson, J. Smith (Z. Cheetham 88), J. Chandler, E. Spences (W. Boyer 73), H. Goldspink, M. Isaacs (M. Huxley 73), A. Boyer, C. Whooley (A. Day 73), T. Withers.  

Subs not Used:                       G. Boon

Bookings:                                None

Cadbury Heath Scorers:        H. Goldspink 17, A. Boyer 22.

Torpoint Athletic: J. Peters, T. Harris, J. Forrest, J. Smith, S. Hillson, C. Holder, C. Thompson (L. Kershaw 85), L. Pacey, C. Damerell, R. Richards, G. Hird.

Subs not used:                    M. Lucas, J. Robertson

Bookings:                             J. Smith, C. Damerell.

Torpoint Scorers;               G. Hird 10, C. Damerell 30 pen, 53

Referee:                              Greg Wentland

Att:                                     36

MOM:                                Gary Hird (Torpoint Athletic

Ashton 2 Saltash United 3 

First half we were strong and took a 0-3 lead at the break. Ashton will claim the second half but backs to the wall and the Ashes didn’t give up. The end was daft handbags over a football being booted out the ground. 

Sad either way as that was our last visit to Ashton and Backwell as they’ve announced they’re pulling out the TSWL and will go back to Somerset County league only next season 👎

For the 2nd night this week it looked as though late drama may decide the title but Saltash clung on to take Western League title race to the last day for the 3rd successive full season.

Saltash were well on top from the first whistle and after a quarter of an hour a swift counter was finished of by Mike Smith. It was then two pieces of dozy goalkeeping that resulted in 2 penalties which were both converted in identical fashion by Carter.

Second half Saltash having lost 2 players through injury seemed happy to sit on a 3 goal lead. But fair play to Backwell they could have folded having played on Tuesday and now knowing that they will be pulling out of the league but they came out and played with a real fire in their belly.

The Saltash goalkeeper who had a lot to say for himself all night was missing in action as Backwell converted two corners from inside the 6 yard box. With a minute of normal time plus 5 minutes of stoppage time left Saltash were rattled and down to 10 as the captain led by example and got himself sin binned.

The final minutes played out with Saltash camped in their own penalty area as Backwell piled the pressure on but they were reduced to efforts from outside the area. They will have been frustrated that they could not force another corner as you would have fancied them to score from it.

As the whistle blew there were some unsavoury scenes sparked by the Saltash keeper needlessly kicking the match ball out of the ground and towards the tennis courts behind the goal.

The best player on the pitch for me last night was Callum Watson he's been one of if not the best midfielder in the Western League over the last few seasons. I'm very suprised he didn't cut it this season in the Southern League as there are plenty of players playing Southern League who aren't as good as him.

Excellent report. My only differing opinion is that I thought the best player on the pitch was A&B’s young forward Jarmani Langlais - a 17 or 18yo on loan from the Bristol Rovers Academy. The difference in speed and positional awareness was palpable. Was of no surprise that he scored both of A&B’s goals. 

15 minutes ago, Footy follower said:

Constantly on at the refs and linesmen....I get he's the captain so maybe I'm being a bit harsh on him.Not a dirty player at all....but one with a lot to say

Is that not just the behaviour from the whole Saltash team?

I've seen them a few times this season and for the full 90 minutes there were 7/8 players constantly hounding the referee. For from a pleasant watch.