Cornwall Football Forum

Results | 15/04/23

3 minutes ago, GaryHocking said:

You make it sound so simple WOTP 😉 

Even if doesn't happen at Bridgwater on Tuesday night, then I can't see Mousehole not getting 3 points from their last 2 matches.

But, if Saltash lose at A&B on Thursday night then the match at Trungle v Wellington on Saturday will turn into a winners celebration. 

They would be worthy champions, and I'm sure they will do well at step 4.

1 hour ago, GaryHocking said:

Reckon we’ll be seeing both Mousehole and Saltash at Step 4 next season - both clubs have shown themselves worthy this season, whichever order they finish this.

Barnstaple are definately not out of it yet ! And if Saltash don’t want to go up then even Buckland could still be promoted ! ? Still a long way to go

Barnstaple need to win all games by at least 30 clear goals to nil as well to take second. 

And can we take the Saltash not taking part off the table? We will and we’re planning for step 4 IF we win either the league or play off. Clevedon Chair who was on the Southern League board was mine of information about a lot of things. 

One day I’ll tell the story of how the rumours started which have plagued us - but there is the answer you’ve been badgering us. All you had to do was ask me at a game…. 😅

We have been saying all season this is a very high quality league and any team can bet any other on their day so it wont be over until the final whistle of the last game. Its fantastic for Cornish football to see two of the counties sides fighting it out for the championship and both clubs should be congratulated for that and raising the profile of Cornish football, add Helston into the mix and our county is in a very healthy place football wise, it just needed some clubs to show the ambition to progress. Whatever happens its been a great season and of course I want Mousehole to go up as they are my club but wish Saltash all the best as well.

1 hour ago, Philheybrookbay said:

Barnstaple need to win all games by at least 30 clear goals to nil as well to take second. 

And can we take the Saltash not taking part off the table? We will and we’re planning for step 4 IF we win either the league or play off. Clevedon Chair who was on the Southern League board was mine of information about a lot of things. 

One day I’ll tell the story of how the rumours started which have plagued us - but there is the answer you’ve been badgering us. All you had to do was ask me at a game…. 😅

Looks like The Ashes are heading towards a play off, but it shouldn't take the gloss off the season. After the turmoil with the Dane Bunney dismissal last summer, and then the circumstances surrounding Shane Krac walking away mid season, Danny Lewis has done incredibly well to stabilise the ship, get it back on course and run Mousehole close.

Suspect many at Saltash will be hoping for a rather boring and uneventful off season this year. 

6 minutes ago, Way Of The Park said:

Looks like The Ashes are heading towards a play off, but it shouldn't take the gloss off the season. After the turmoil with the Dane Bunney dismissal last summer, and then the circumstances surrounding Shane Krac walking away mid season, Danny Lewis has done incredibly well to stabilise the ship, get it back on course and run Mousehole close.

Suspect many at Saltash will be hoping for a rather boring and uneventful off season this year. 

Oh trust me - two weeks today it’ll all be archived  boxed and put in the loft like last seasons stuff. 👍👍👍

And trust me as I’ve told the committee I need the break!!! Until the AGMs, the league dinners, PSF and then it’ll be reregistration time. 

So it’ll be nice one day off 😅😅😅

Wellington 1-5 Torpoint Athletic

Toolstation Western League, Premier Division

With Robbie Morris at The Playing Fields

On a warm Saturday spring afternoon at the Playing Fields in West Somerset, Torpoint Athletic made it four wins in succession and are now undefeated in six match matches as they put five goals past The Tangerines, with Ryan Richards and Gary Hird both get a brace.

In the first few minutes of the match the visitors probed the home defence with some half chances, but against the run of play Jack Porter-Bown for the hosts took a shot from distance that just went over the crossbar.

Just past the quarter hour mark, Torpoint took the lead when Paul Heveran sent a superb cross into the area, for Gary Hird to head home from close range at the far post, past the stationary Tangerines keeper Harley Wilkinson.

Ten minutes later Wellington equalised when Miles Quick crosses the ball to Zeph Collins who with his first time volley from the edge of the area, which just dipped under the crossbar.

Just past the half hour mark, the visitors regained the lead when scorer turned provider Hird sent in a fine cross to Ryan Richards who shot home an acute angle shot from close range, in off the post.

A minute later, Hird for the visitors sends another ball into the area for Darren Hicks to see his shot rebound off the post.

The second half was only two minutes old when the visitors doubled their advantage. Jake Smith passes the ball to Curtis Damerell who then lays the ball onto Ryan Richards to blast home from 12 yards in a good well worked team goal.

Ten minutes later, Torpoint extend their advantage, when Mike Lucas puts a through ball onto Callum Thompson to have a one on one with the home keeper who parried the ball and Thompson picked up the loose ball to fire home from 18 yards.

On the 77th minute the match was over as a contest as the visitors scored their fifth goal of the afternoon. Good work by Curtis Damerell found Gary Hird to fire home 18 yards to complete the scoring.

Wellington:  H. Wilkinson, W. Armstrong, J. Porter-Bown, G. Wright, T. Stone, J. Quick (T. Burt 65), E. Collins, M. Quick, J. Nicholson (A. Cherry 65), J. Quick (R. Poulson 76), A. Collins (S. McKenna 45)

Subs not used:                    S. Phillips

Bookings:                             J. Porter-Bown 39

Wellington scorer:            Z. Collins 26.

Torpoint Athletic: J. Peters, P. Heveran, D. Hicks (K. Lau 85), J. Smith, S. Hillson, E. Crawford (J. Forrest 59), C. Thompson, M. Lucas (C. Holder 59), C. Damerell, R. Richards, G. Hird (J. Babb 85)

Subs not Used:                   All Used.

Bookings:                             C. Thompson 50.

Torpoint Scorers:              G. Hird 16, 77, R, Richards 32, 47, C. Thomspon 57.

Referee:                          Aidan Madden (Plymouth)

Att:                                         112 (25 Away)

MOM:                               Gary Hird (Torpoint Athletic)

Having been impressed with Torpoint when I last saw them at Shepton Mallet, yesterday I was even more impressed if anything 5-1 flattered Wellington. Torpoint's attack was just too good and moved the ball to quickly for Wellington to cope with, with Ryan Richards the standout for me just as he was at Shepton last month.

No doubt they will have learnt plenty from this season a few signings in the right areas and I could see them being very strong next season. As a neutral they are certainly a good team to watch. 

2 hours ago, sportsman10 said:

Be a busy pre season trying keep that Saltash team together. 

What will be - will be. 

Like most, the commitment has to been organised and confirmed. Southern League different to Western, which is higher than Peninsula. Can’t speak for players that’s down to them. Each one is different - normal life tbh. 

19 hours ago, SomersetObserver said:

Having been impressed with Torpoint when I last saw them at Shepton Mallet, yesterday I was even more impressed if anything 5-1 flattered Wellington. Torpoint's attack was just too good and moved the ball to quickly for Wellington to cope with, with Ryan Richards the standout for me just as he was at Shepton last month.

No doubt they will have learnt plenty from this season a few signings in the right areas and I could see them being very strong next season. As a neutral they are certainly a good team to watch. 

When you have goal scorers of the calibre of Ryan Richards and Curtis Damerell, you will always have a chance. Expect it will be a summer of Torpoint fending off interest in those two players.

Midfielder Jake Smith is another that I hear good things about. Seems to have grown as a player since leaving Parkway, playing regularly at a lower level has obviously been good for him.