Cornwall Football Forum

RESULTS - SATURDAY 15TH APRIL, 2023

Truro City 5 Redruth United 2

A very pleasant afternoon in the spring sunshine at Tregye saw City seal the title in a City v United clash.

Truro scored after 15mins with a fine breakaway down the left wing and a well taken goal slotted home but they spurned a few chances and entered half time at 1 - 1.

City started the second half with a goal from a corner followed about 10 mins later with a converted penalty. I missed one of the next 2 goals but the other was a superb volley. Redruth reply came from a penalty brilliantly saved by the City keeper but the rebound was steered into the net. It was my 1st time at Tregye and apologies but I could not name the players. Hopefully promotion will follow and I can look forward to attending more often next season. Rough headcount and I think attendance was around 100.

Doms 2 St Mawgan 1

We had plenty of the ball in the opening phases and had some joy on the left hand side without really troubling the visiting keeper too much. We found ourselves a goal down after 35 mins, a very soft goal to concede from our perspective but a well taken finish. It looked like we’d equalised when Kieran Ryall’s free kick hit the back of the net only for the goal to be disallowed as we had a player within a metre of the wall! 1 down at HT.

A more positive start to the second half but without much falling our way in the box until Harvey Barrett headed home Ryall’s corner to level things up. The visitors then had a spell where they felt everything was going against them and their reaction ended up with 2 sin bins a few minutes apart and a spate of bookings too. The visiting keeper then produced a top draw save to keep out Callum Brown’s effort. The winner ended up coming with around a quarter of an hour left, Alex Jacob with a burst of pace and finishing from a tight angle. We couldn’t find a way through for another to finish the game off but St Mawgan didn’t trouble too much at the other end as we hung in for the win. 

Many thanks again to match sponsors Dawe Hawken & Dodd, MOTM went to Brown. 

On now to Tuesday evening where we have our County Cup Semi Final, taking on Foxhole who are unbeaten in their league campaign all season, hosted at Dobwalls’ Lantoom Park, 
Kick off is 7:30pm.

• Dave Deacon changed the title to RESULTS - SATURDAY 15TH APRIL, 2023

Torpoint AFC Reserves 3-3 Sticker Reserves

Torpoint XI: England, Bouch, Coutts, Manuel, Mason, Haslam, Payn, Taylor, Larsen, Manuel, Stearnes

Subs Used: Robbins, Martindale, Sinclair, Halls

The penultimate game to the season saw us welcome Sticker to The Mill, the reverse fixture was one of the early games with Ian & I in and arguably one of our best performances of the season. However, that wasn't going to be replicated on Saturday.

A game from the off which had an end of season feel to it. With the pitch harder than expected, both sides struggled to move the ball well enough in the early exchanges and that was evident after 6 minutes when Coutts played a blind pass across his own area into the feet of the striker where he was able to finish 1v1 against England. We soon got ourselves level when a neat through ball found the onrushing Haslam to fire home. With 2 goals in the opening 10 minutes, you could be fooled into thinking the game was going to be a thriller... Over the remainder of the half, it was a familiar theme. Neither side keeping the ball particularly well, the opposition striker causing the greatest threats with direct running in behind our back line. We did find ourselves ahead on the half hour mark with probably the best piece of quality of the half, Larsen picked the ball up deep on the left hand side. Driving at the defence, he was able to start a neat passing movement before receiving the ball back and slotting home.

From our standpoint, we didn't think the first half could be much worse than the first. Fault on my part as our levels dropped even lower in the second period. The visitors soon found themselves level, a chipped ball over the top was fired across the area to be tapped in, linesman's flagged raised but the main man in the middle seemed well placed enough to overrule and no real arguments from us. The third was quite possibly the worst we'd conceded this season. Some initial good build up by Sticker allowed them to make their way into our area, the ball was crossed/shot 4 times as we were unable to get within 5 yards of the man. After 60 seconds, we were put out of our misery with the midfielder central to poke home. The remainder of the half continued to frustrate, the visitors buzzed off the ball to hassle to win it back as they continued to frustrate us. As we entered the final 5 minutes, we finally began to create chances. First Larsen brought the ball down well in the area but his shot was well saved. We then picked up our equaliser, undeserved, when Martindale fired near post inside the area.

Usually picking something up so late in a game, I'd be happy but in all honesty we didn't deserve anything from the game. Even after a couple of sleeps to reflect I still believe that this was our worst performance of the games I've been involved. Men 1 through 16 didn't do enough to influence the game, nor did I from the sideline.

I genuinely happy to have a derby on Tuesday as Millbrook travel to The Mill. Coming off of a win, loss or draw, we'd have to approach the game slightly different and I think it'll be a great way to end our season. Hope to see a good crowd there!