Cornwall Football Forum

Senior cup

1 hour ago, sportsman10 said:

Great win for Helston deserved the trophy. . Noticed on social media Steve Massey had the trophy tucked away on his beside table like he personally won it.  
Surly Matt cusuack and the team deserve that honour first?? . Just seemed bit odd.  

Surprised he didn't do a John Terry, appear in full Helston kit and charge to the front and pick the trophy up.😀

1 hour ago, Mike Odgers said:

Any idea of the attendance ?  as its now  no  longer   all other football banned on Easter Monday pm.

I see Mousehole had a good 300+ gate and although just over the Tamar Truro had 691

How does that compare to attendances over the last 10 years or so? I am assuming that in the days when the Senior Cup and Junior Cup Finals were a double header, both games counted towards the figure. Always remember the Junior Cup curtain raiser being a large and particularly boisterous crowd, sometimes more so than the headline Senior Cup Final.

17 hours ago, sportsman10 said:

Great win for Helston deserved the trophy. . Noticed on social media Steve Massey had the trophy tucked away on his beside table like he personally won it.  
Surly Matt cusuack and the team deserve that honour first?? . Just seemed bit odd.  

He took the trophy up to the assistant manager who lives up Newton Abbott way (I think) early the next the morning who had just had knee surgery

3 hours ago, Footy follower said:

Oh....don't put a hole in the "let's have a downer on Steve Massey" story

Agreed! It is lovely to see an ex-pro so excited about the local game and seeing his club win the CSC after an 80+ years wait. Let Steve and Helston FC enjoy this moment. Well done everyone in Blue!

54 minutes ago, Postman Pat said:

Think people.like the chairman and all the other volunteers deserve a big mention as well

As is true of all of our best grassroots football clubs. However, people like to take a pop at Steve - and I get it to a point - but churlish to snipe at Mass and Helston after this momentous success! Cusack an excellent coach to a good set of players and strong back room team of volunteers!

1 hour ago, Both Sides of the Tamar said:

As is true of all of our best grassroots football clubs. However, people like to take a pop at Steve - and I get it to a point - but churlish to snipe at Mass and Helston after this momentous success! Cusack an excellent coach to a good set of players and strong back room team of volunteers!

Never had a pop at Mr massey would love to have someone with his enthusiasm at Redruth United. Best of luck to Helston a hell of a lot of work has gone on off the pitch in recent times to get the club where it is. People sometimes forget that when they fixate against him

10 minutes ago, Postman Pat said:

Never had a pop at Mr massey would love to have someone with his enthusiasm at Redruth United. Best of luck to Helston a hell of a lot of work has gone on off the pitch in recent times to get the club where it is. People sometimes forget that when they fixate against him

Very true. I’ve not always been a fan of his methods when managing, but on the whole I love Steve’s passion for the game. The CSC win 🏆 is a result of years of hard work by many, often behind the scenes, as well as those around current first team. Helston do a lot more right than given credit for!

The fixation with Steve Massey is a strange one.