Cornwall Football Forum

PIRAN FILMS' VIDEO HIGHLIGHTS: HELSTON V MOUSEHOLE

2 hours ago, Drumming Nutter said:

I can't bring myself to watch it .... T'was a shite Friday ☹️

Was strange to see Mousehole looking so lethargic although Helston DID outplay you all over the park. It seemed that once Tyler Elliot snuffed out Hayden Turner that you had no plan B!! Despite all the pressure Helston had with the wind in the first half they could not turn it into goals and the supporters feared the worst. Second half wasn’t unlike the first until it was too late for mousehole. Still in your hands. Great set of supporters who were really good natured. Thought Ref had good game except the odd decision surrounding the disallowed goal in the first half. Best of luck for the last 4 games. 

48 minutes ago, le boss said:

Was strange to see Mousehole looking so lethargic although Helston DID outplay you all over the park. It seemed that once Tyler Elliot snuffed out Hayden Turner that you had no plan B!! Despite all the pressure Helston had with the wind in the first half they could not turn it into goals and the supporters feared the worst. Second half wasn’t unlike the first until it was too late for mousehole. Still in your hands. Great set of supporters who were really good natured. Thought Ref had good game except the odd decision surrounding the disallowed goal in the first half. Best of luck for the last 4 games. 

No excuses we were lethargic, but everybody has a really busy last 3 weeks of the season. (Apart from Saltash who only have 3 games in 4 weeks). I think nerves also played a part. Would love to be champions 🏆, but play-off position is only 2 points away.

le boss thank you for the kind words, and keep your fingers crossed for us 😁👍💚

Mousehole's fine unbeaten run had to end some time, 28 without defeat is some achievement in a league as competitive as this. Gives another twist to the title race as well.

Gives Helston a big boost going into Monday's CSC final as well and, given how strongly they are finishing the season, must be grounds for optimism that Matt Cusack's side can be up there with the likes of the revitalised Buckland next season.

2 hours ago, le boss said:

Bash I was the assistant ref on the far side by the dugouts so have a bit of insight on the decision you mentioned -  if it wasn’t for the offside it would have been a great advantage played by Ross the referee that resulted in a goal. The reason he didn’t bring it back for the original foul was there was more than 2 phases of play before the offside so the restart of play was for the offside and not the foul he played the advantage for - hope that helps to understand the decision. 

9 minutes ago, Pitty said:

Bash I was the assistant ref on the far side by the dugouts so have a bit of insight on the decision you mentioned -  if it wasn’t for the offside it would have been a great advantage played by Ross the referee that resulted in a goal. The reason he didn’t bring it back for the original foul was there was more than 2 phases of play before the offside so the restart of play was for the offside and not the foul he played the advantage for - hope that helps to understand the decision. 

Fair enough mate. As I said thought ref had a good game which was a clean affair. From our viewpoint we weren’t sure about how many phases or even if that was part of the ruling. Every day is a school day!!

4 hours ago, le boss said:

Fair enough mate. As I said thought ref had a good game which was a clean affair. From our viewpoint we weren’t sure about how many phases or even if that was part of the ruling. Every day is a school day!!

Just for info. There is nothing about phases in the laws of the game. 

The rules simply say this for advantage: "allows play to continue when an offence occurs and the non-offending team 
will benefit from the advantage, and penalises the offence if the anticipated 
advantage does not ensue at that time or within a few seconds"

By two phases I assume we are talking more than a few seconds which will be the reason the referee didn't return to the original foul. 

16 minutes ago, TheOpinionoftheReferee said:

The rules simply say this for advantage: "allows play to continue when an offence occurs and the non-offending team 

By two phases I assume we are talking more than a few seconds which will be the reason the referee didn't return to the original foul. 

I thought the referee was excellent. I chatted with him before the game and he said that he likes the game to flow, which I like as well. 

5 hours ago, Way Of The Park said:

Mousehole's fine unbeaten run had to end some time, 28 without defeat is some achievement in a league as competitive as this. Gives another twist to the title race as well.

Gives Helston a big boost going into Monday's CSC final as well and, given how strongly they are finishing the season, must be grounds for optimism that Matt Cusack's side can be up there with the likes of the revitalised Buckland next season.

Mousehole have had great season and deserve the title. The big difference I think is the fact that they seem to have an array of talented strikers to chose from before and during a game. 

10 hours ago, Drumming Nutter said:

I can't bring myself to watch it .... T'was a shite Friday ☹️

Oh go on!!

2 hours ago, TheOpinionoftheReferee said:

Down to a referee’s discretion then which is always going to be contentious. Thanks for that. 

2 hours ago, TheOpinionoftheReferee said:

Which is what pitty basically said

1 hour ago, sportsman10 said:

Helston massively under achieved for me this  season.  Watching them in this game they were superb and showing what they can do if they are more consistent.  Had 1-2 months of very poor results.  Should for me be pushing Saltash for title. 

Far too many draws in my view

2 hours ago, sportsman10 said:

Helston massively under achieved for me this  season.  Watching them in this game they were superb and showing what they can do if they are more consistent.  Had 1-2 months of very poor results.  Should for me be pushing Saltash for title. 

Was always going to be a season of Matt Cusack sorting out the squad he inherited ( looking at Full Time, 34 players have appeared for them this season)and getting his coaching, tactics and ideas across. Would think as well that Steve Massey is still a big presence at Helston, and that Cusack has to work hard to keep him in the commentary box and away from the dressing room.

Lifting the Senior Cup and finishing in the top 5 (as they could still do) would demonstrate real progress though, and leave them well placed to push on towards the title race next season. 

12 hours ago, BrummyBarry said:

Which is what pitty basically said

Yes but the reply to Pitty, to which I was responding, suggested they didn't know how many "phases of play" or if it was a "ruling". I was simply pointing out it wasnt and what the law actually says and not discrediting what Pitty said. 

12 hours ago, le boss said:

Down to a referee’s discretion then which is always going to be contentious. Thanks for that. 

All decisions are at the discretion of, or rather as the laws say, the opinion of the referee. 

1 hour ago, TheOpinionoftheReferee said:

Yes but the reply to Pitty, to which I was responding, suggested they didn't know how many "phases of play" or if it was a "ruling". I was simply pointing out it wasnt and what the law actually says and not discrediting what Pitty said. 

All decisions are at the discretion of, or rather as the laws say, the opinion of the referee. 

So a game can be started another way other than a kick off from the centre spot if it’s the opinion of the referee???

Not quite... The full quote is:

2. Decisions of the referee
Decisions will be made to the best of the referee's ability according to the Laws 
of the Game and the ‘spirit of the game’ and will be based on the opinion of the 
referee, who has the discretion to take appropriate action within the 
framework of the Laws of the Game.

5 hours ago, Dave Deacon said:

“Refereeing body PGMOL has admitted Brighton should have had a penalty for Pierre-Emile Hojbjerg's tackle on Kaoru Mitoma in Saturday's game at Tottenham.”

The guys at the top don’t exactly make it easy for those lower down!

Those lower down clubs have been playing against 12 for years.

On 08/04/2023 at 18:30, Piran said:

Mousehole have had great season and deserve the title. The big difference I think is the fact that they seem to have an array of talented strikers to chose from before and during a game. 

Oh go on!!

I have taken a very deep breath, and finally watched the footage ...Helston more than deserved to win, and there is not a single Mousehole highlight. Let's hope the usual Mousehole turn up today against Clevedon.