Cornwall Football Forum

Is this a first - Junior Cup Final?

Dropship & Falmouth DC will contest this years Junior Cup Final but has the Junior Cup ever before had a final between two sides outside not only the top division but top 2?

Both sides not only sit outside the top division of either the Trelawny or Duchy league but also the next division down. Both sides are champions of their respective division (Falmouth DC - Div 2 & Dropship - Div 3) so have both had strong seasons

Before the usual negative comments on standards etc blah blah blah well done to both sides who have beaten top division opponents (Falmouth - 5 Dropship - 3) to reach the final 👏

52 minutes ago, Pitty said:

Dropship & Falmouth DC will contest this years Junior Cup Final but has the Junior Cup ever before had a final between two sides outside not only the top division but top 2?

Both sides not only sit outside the top division of either the Trelawny or Duchy league but also the next division down. Both sides are champions of their respective division (Falmouth DC - Div 2 & Dropship - Div 3) so have both had strong seasons

Before the usual negative comments on standards etc blah blah blah well done to both sides who have beaten top division opponents (Falmouth - 5 Dropship - 3) to reach the final 👏

I think it's a fantastic achievement for both teams personally and I'm so proud of the Dropship lads for believing in the project and sticking with us.

The usual rumours will circulate about players being paid 💰 in our side. And as I say when the screenshots are sent to me, take it as a compliment. It's complimentary that people actually think a Division 3 side pay their players. I personally let them think it. However, it's not hard to see the truth. The players we have are definitely playing below their standard, that is obvious. But if they're not being paid, why are they playing for us? It's because of the feeling they have playing for us. A professionally run club where players pay just £11 a month for quality coaching, football matches, kit and equipment, the option to play Flexi League, Saturday and Sunday League football and most importantly, it's because they are valued. They're at a club that cares about them and values all that they stand for. That's the difference.

Watching the game last night, we should have been out of site by half time with the number of opportunities we unfortunately missed. But for many, this was their first ever junior cup semi final and nerves definitely played a part.

West Cornwall did start asking questions of our defence and of Matt in goal in the second half but the team stood firm. The sting went out of the game when west Cornwall conceded the third; I personally didn't celebrate it as I was actually sympathetic of the player that headed it into his own net. Horrible thing to happen but it's one of those things. 

The junior cup final... What an achievement for both Dropship and for DC. Hopefully the crowd of 260+ will be doubled in a few weeks time. It would be fantastic for their to be support for both teams which would certainly add to a fantastic atmosphere.

I think a lot of the rumors are because other clubs are struggling. Take Penryn for example. All that went last night can see that they still have a good set up. They have their own ground, nice pitch, floodlights, clubhouse etc. Yet they struggle to put out a side most weeks at the moment.

So people assume that players must be paid, to play for you over them. No offense to Dropship, you are a growing club, but you don't have what they have. 

Hopefully you can continue to grow, as other new clubs have started well and then struggled if they have had a manager and players leave. 

51 minutes ago, G2DO said:

Well done both teams, great achievement and can only beat what is in front of them 👏

Also noticed that Dropship had a player starting making his debut. Wonder if that is also a first in a Junior Cup Semi-final? 🤔 💰

I’m not sure but the rules only state that a player has to have played 5 qualifying games for the qualifying team to play in the Final. 

2 minutes ago, Richard Chown said:

I’m not sure but the rules only state that a player has to have played 5 qualifying games for the qualifying team to play in the Final. 

That's correct. Five games for the final. Unfortunately as people could see yesterday, we've got quite a few players carrying injuries, most notably Ben Kellow, our leading Goalscorer who couldn't even be named on the teamsheet. So there were a few changes to our usual line up. 

10 minutes ago, Football not soccer said:

I think a lot of the rumors are because other clubs are struggling. Take Penryn for example. All that went last night can see that they still have a good set up. They have their own ground, nice pitch, floodlights, clubhouse etc. Yet they struggle to put out a side most weeks at the moment.

So people assume that players must be paid, to play for you over them. No offense to Dropship, you are a growing club, but you don't have what they have. 

Hopefully you can continue to grow, as other new clubs have started well and then struggled if they have had a manager and players leave. 

Penryn have a fantastic facility and it's one that one day, I hope we can rival. But we have to make sure that the way we do our business off the field is right. I don't know Penryn's business but I feel that our strongest asset is our volunteers behind the scenes. A truly gelled and determined committee that thrive to offer the best experience we can to our club members. Penryn will come good. I know it. 

They hosted a fantastic semi final last night 💪 thank you again Penryn

29 minutes ago, Sijames said:

I’ve heard this morning that Falmouth have (or will very soon!) be lodging an official complaint about Dropship playing an inclined player? I can now assume this is the player who made his debut, surly they wouldn’t make this school boy error in such a big game?

Junior Cup Ruling 8.iv

'No player shall be eligible to participate in the Final of this Competition unless, during the current season, he has played in a minimum of five competition matches for the participating team. In special circumstances, and with the consent of the Association, dispensation from the qualifying games may be granted in respect of a goalkeeper.'

They'd be a game early... And they'd look a little bit silly because no player made their debut for us last night. All players have played for us previously this season (and even if this was a debut game, they'd have been eligible) 😍

Let's quash the silly rumours here shall we? 

Also from rule 8 ..

g. FortheSemi-FinalsandFinalties,competingclubsmustsendtoeachotherandthe Association, the full names of their intended playing squad seven clear days prior to the match. Failure to comply with this Rule will result in a fine in accordance with the Fines Tariff.
h. Any protest as to eligibility of players shall be lodged with the County Association at least three days prior to the date of the match.

3 hours ago, St Darren said:

Who on earth are Dropship and where have they risen from? 

I heard that they made an offer to Perranporth to take over their ground and rename the club but Perran committee refused. 

Fair play to a new side going up through the leagues and attracting the calibre of players that they have. Must be doing something right! 

We certainly haven't offered to take over Perranporth but we have enabled them to keep football being played at Ponsmere whilst they rebuild. We are very grateful for them hosting us over this last season, whilst we had alternative venues to use, the facilities at Perranporth are obviously very good.  Unfortunately Perranporth is too far from our catchment area so a permanent move is certainly not something that we have even contemplated. We also don't like the idea of trying to stomp over other clubs. 

You can hear about us here: https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/p0f8fw3j?partner=uk.co.bbc&origin=share-mobile (starts at 16:40) 

20 hours ago, G2DO said:

Well done both teams, great achievement and can only beat what is in front of them 👏

Also noticed that Dropship had a player starting making his debut. Wonder if that is also a first in a Junior Cup Semi-final? 🤔 💰

Didn’t look too hard then as we didn’t have a player making his debut, WC on the other hand did. 

On 08/04/2023 at 16:50, cornish leg end said:

One team is trying to pay there way up there leagues and one been a solid outfit for many years down that way. 
money I’ve heard is crazy it’s only a day out in a Saturday! 

I wouldn't class 3 years as many years but I'll take that ;)

Don't believe everything you hear 👍

23 hours ago, BrummyBarry said:

Someones having a better day than me 🍺

He's changed it now. 

Must have been a few in by that point lol