Cornwall Football Forum

Clive Rosevear Insurance League Cup Final Sunday 9th April

In a repeat of last year's final, 15:00KO at Blaise Park on Sunday.

Torpoint Athletic 3rds vs Foxhole Stars

The winners will play either Helston Athletic 3rds or Pendeen Rovers on 30th April at Porthleven. This match up is also 15:00KO on Sunday 9th to determine the LWC Combination League Cup winners.

1 minute ago, David Bray said:

Better check the venue as the Senior Cup is on the same pitch the day after. ( Easter Monday).

Initial weather forecast is for a wet day unfortunately plus St.Blazey are home to Sticker on the Wednesday,  could be a very busy time for the ground staff.

Mp 

If we've got the venue wrong then both teams will be at the wrong pitch!

2 hours ago, David Bray said:

Good question. 

What's wrong with either Nanpean or St.Dennis 

Yep,both clubs would of appreciated it to have been asked/considered,plenty of parking at both grounds with the clubhouses over looking the pitchs if the weather's not that great,food readily available from the club's as well be it via the tea hut at st Dennis (caths superb range of food) or from the club at nanpean and the all important beers that r very reasonably priced and a decent of range of them too.

Liskeard would of been a sensible choice too considering they r midway between both teams,just beggars belief blazey get both finals over the weekend it's a little bit of a kick in the nuts to the other teams in the league as we're all striving to improve our grounds and the money taken over the bar/teahut etc helps to pay for things n keep us running.

I believe it's option B, invite clubs to show an interest. But I've not been privvy to any league comms about the matter. How they decide on a shortlist and who was contacted I do not know. But I believe last year a couple of clubs were asked to host the Final and StB put their hand up so to speak.

What I do know is one recent season, we (Torpoint) were asked if we would like to host a Cup Final, can't remember which one, and we declined. Simply because we couldn't fit it into our schedule of remaining home games and then immediately after a pitch care plan. I'm sure there are many other clubs who find themselves in this situation in April every season.

11 minutes ago, baldy said:

I wonder who would have the redder faces if the rain comes in a bit earlier, this game cuts the pitch up (maybe 120 mins play, I assume) and then the SC Final has to be pp. StB or the county?

I’m hoping all we see are happy faces. Positivity 👍

7 hours ago, Dave Deacon said:

So how does the work?

The committee just decide on a venue?

or

They invite clubs to show an interest in hosting?

or

by some other process?

Not entirely sure but st blazey shouldn't be put into contention for the next couple of finals on this basis alone,I'm not knocking the club as it's a fantastic venue with a surface to die for but for all the other clubs in the league it would be nice to see a final held at one of their grounds considering we've all paid entry into the league and cups one way or another.

Just out of curiosity can anyone on here last remember a league cup final held at either st Columb north petherwin st minver or st newlyn East? It always seems to be blazey st Austell Bodmin wadebridge or Newquay, again nothing against those teams and their facilities as they are up there with the best in the county but spare a thought for the smaller clubs n help get some recognition for their efforts at grass roots.

Get your point Grosey but finals and those who have reached them deserve to play on the best surfaces with the best facilities. In the ECPL currently not very many fit the bill, IMO. You've also named 4 clubs without clubhouses and large committees (educated guesses) required to host such an event. Having said that, the SNE surface in particular is worthy! 

My first 4 finals were at Liskeard twice, St Dennis and Hayle. Not sure why we don't move about each season though like has been mentioned already. Particularly the Evely Cup, so one of the East or West winners get a new ground on their list. Nice to see this year's is Porthleven. 

Game of 2 halves. Absolutely gutted with our performance in the 1st half. But came out 2nd half and pegged point into their half. Draw maybe could have been possible but they defended well. 
we have to pick ourselves up now and go again Wednesday. We need to learn and manage the game better individually. We’ve still got things to play for so let’s hope our heads are on it for the league. Huge congrats to Torpoint today. No complaints from me 

1 hour ago, LeeRicks9 said:

Game of 2 halves. Absolutely gutted with our performance in the 1st half. But came out 2nd half and pegged point into their half. Draw maybe could have been possible but they defended well. 
we have to pick ourselves up now and go again Wednesday. We need to learn and manage the game better individually. We’ve still got things to play for so let’s hope our heads are on it for the league. Huge congrats to Torpoint today. No complaints from me 

Top man Lee, played well! Boys might consider themselves unlucky today. Should have been 2-1 HT with your strike against the post. We defended well for the majority which seems to be a habit but we took our chances when presented. All the best for the rest of the season, worthy title winners for sure. 

1 hour ago, Byron10 said:

Top man Lee, played well! Boys might consider themselves unlucky today. Should have been 2-1 HT with your strike against the post. We defended well for the majority which seems to be a habit but we took our chances when presented. All the best for the rest of the season, worthy title winners for sure. 

Your number 5 was clas today. We will pick ourselves up. Congratulations today great final and a great bunch after the game. Very gracious in your win 👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻

Not a classic game of football but a very good final. Torpoint took their chances in the first half after a couple of errors from the Foxes. Foxhole could’ve had one back before the break with Bould smashing his effort against the post. The second half was a case of how long Torpoint could keep it at 2-0. Rowe, the Foxes best player on the day, reduced the deficit to 1 with another ruled out for a foul on Jackson which was fortunate in my eyes but I was further away than the official. An excellent defensive display from Torpoint, especially Brown and Pearce with the latter a standout MoM.

As expected, good words again from the skipper Ricks who showed his class throughout. Foxhole will go on to win the league but it was great to see Callum and the team repeat as Cup winners after a few wrote them off this season.

3 minutes ago, StarMan42 said:

I’m not seeing much of a push in that last photo 🤔🤔🤔

No! To be fair I haven't shown the complete sequence but I think on that occasion Torpoint might have got away with one, although obviously the ref was better positioned than I was! 

Decent game I thought, good to see a nice crowd of 222 including a 6ft fox walking around! 😁. The old game of 2 halves really, Torpoint doing just about enough in the 1st half to hang on in the 2nd half. Both number 5s outstanding I thought, Ricks for Foxhole and Zak Pearce a rock for Torpoint, got his head or a block or a tackle on everything, deserved MOM 👏🏼️ Benno unlucky on his goal for me but ref was in a great position, I was in the stand. Congrats to Torpoint, and I’m sure the Foxes will bounce back and go on to win the league, good side, just not much luck on the day which happens in finals sometimes, been there done that, usually on Easter Monday for me not Sunday! 😒

5 hours ago, BrummyBarry said:

Perfect Id think that with it being a final it would have definitely been checked by league and clubs it sounded like a half decent game 

I'd say so as well considering torpoints manager is the registration secretary so this would be a massive red face blooper on his behalf if otherwise 🤣

Torpoint Athletic 2 - 1 Foxhole Stars

Torpoint goalscorers: Hussey (pen), Payn.

Lineup: Jackson, Bark, Pearce, WhiteS, Hussey, Brown, Robbins, Murray, Easterbrook, Warren, Payn.

Subs: Rio Driver, Bartolini, Northcott. Unused: Clarke, Halls.

Well...! A relief. Pride. Ecstasy. After a stressful and transitional period for myself and the side, it makes all the hard work worth it to see the rewards. Having gone 4 games without a win in late Feb into March, things were looking bleak considering we're used to winning. Football is like that and you don't just get what you think you deserve. But ending that short rut winning the Semi Final has sparked us into life again and we've learned some valuable lessons at both ends of the spectrum and now we're 5 unbeaten and we've retained the cup in it's final ever outting, earning ourselves an Evely Cup Final against Pendeen Rovers on Sun 30th April at Porthleven, somewhere I've wanted to play for a long time.

With the Foxes not having lost since May's Cup Final last year, we were the underdogs and not many genuinely fancied us. Usually I find Torpoint are the team people don't want to win, but this year it was Foxhole, likely due to their unbeaten season and everyone likes an underdog. This went in our favour, and despite the odds stacked against us, we had the most important thing in our locker, belief. I was incredibly nervous as I always am for big games and it's not often I skip meals!

We started quite brightly, but neither side really grabbed the opening spell by the scruff. Until 15mins in we got Easterbrook on the ball in a dangerous area, whose quick feet just inside the box brought himself a foul and a penalty, which Hussey confidently placed into the net having sent the keeper Prynn the wrong way. A few nerves were also on display on the pitch and a few loose touches and passes from both sides. On 33mins a long ball by eventual Man of the Match Pearce was swept up by Angel Coates, with Josh Payn in hot pursuit. Coates' underhit backpass was closed down by Payn who beat the flat footed keeper to the ball and found himself through on goal for an empty net and slid the ball in before the covering defender could get across for 2-0. Our other best effort in the half was a trademark Robbins free kick 25yards from goal which went narrowly over the bar. Foxhole themselves will rue a missed chance as a superb cross from the right hand side was met at the far post by top scorer Bould who smashed his volley against the woodwork from close range and the power on it rebounded to safety. Let off. 2-0 HT. I have to say I don't think we deserved a 2 goal lead as chances and quality possession was lacking from both sides. The longer the half wore on our defence continued to stay on top and centre half pairing of WhiteS and Pearce swept up everything other than the chance hitting the woodwork. The HT was really positive and it felt like everyone knew the situation. Having been 2-0 up at North Peth last month which finished in a draw we knew the game state well. Young Aidan Bark lead the discussion about the previous frustrations and another example of how the young lads have grown throughout the season as he held the room and others chipped in with similar notes. All I asked was to echo these statements and not give anything up. We knew Foxhole would throw the kitchen sink at us and we may even concede. Just know we have enough quality ourselves to score at the other end and not to crumble.

And crumble we did not. Ricks and Doodles in particular were doing their best to drive the team forward but no clear chances were had, until another cross from wide met Bould to head down and into the net, but the official ruled it out. Comments on the forum have suggested it was a foul on keeper Jackson, but I believe it was a push on Pearce and Deacs' image shows him doubled over. Fortuitous maybe that the referee spotted it but a relief for us. At the other end a counter attack lead to a chipped ball into Easterbrook 18yards out whose left footed half volley flew past Prynn and in for 3-0 but this was also disallowed, this time for offside, correctly so I think. Counter attacks were all we could muster throughout the half, and another break saw us 3 on 1 vs Rickard but the pass went left to Easterbrook again offside when a ball out right to Rio Driver would've been way onside in his own half to charge at goal with support nearby. These split second decisions are make or break and I did question if/when the next goal would come as it would be critical. And it eventually came Foxhole's way, with Cowboy Rowe pouncing on a loose ball to side foot the ball home with 10-15 still to play. With the Foxes having Bould, Rowe and the introduced Cheshire in attack, I was relieved we didn't give them much of a sniff after that and were very few close calls. The ascendency was all Foxhole's but the spine of the team was impeccable, with Pearce and young Brown in particular standout performers. Numerous times we had 10-11 players in our own 1/3 with no out ball which was a worry and we were far too deep. A late injury to Dom Murray stemmed the flow for a minute with the stoppage and I asked us to get 5-10yards higher up the pitch and for the forwards to at least leave one up to get us some joy of escaping. Eventually time petered out and the full time whistle went. 

The task now is to win the Evely Cup Final and retain that one too. I think it would be difficult for Foxhole to throw away the league title from the position they're in, but their schedule is jam packed and this may cause it's own hiccups as points are more important than games in hand. Not enough credit has gone to North Petherwin this season as they've lead the way for quite some time now, and will be determined to hold off their challengers. For us in the league, we also need to hang on to their coat tails and finish in the top 3, something we've done every year since the 15/16 season, so that's the other aim to finish above SNE, St Columb and St Minver who have wind in their sails again. 

A thank you to St Blazey for hosting their excellent facilities and a pleasure to see a smiling Martin Richards as always, the four officials who were their usual happy selves, and lastly to Foxhole who were gracious in defeat. A few beers shared afterwards with quite a few mixing between the sides, how it used to be! Good luck to Seth and the Foxes for the rest of their season, except the two games we still have to play eachother. 

Starting to feel a little more human now. Was massively in the bin until late yesterday afternoon after celebrating on Sunday. Both team sheets are now up on Full Time @davegrose

4 hours ago, Foul Throw 3 said:

Torpoint Athletic 2 - 1 Foxhole Stars

Torpoint goalscorers: Hussey (pen), Payn.

Lineup: Jackson, Bark, Pearce, WhiteS, Hussey, Brown, Robbins, Murray, Easterbrook, Warren, Payn.

Subs: Rio Driver, Bartolini, Northcott. Unused: Clarke, Halls.

Well...! A relief. Pride. Ecstasy. After a stressful and transitional period for myself and the side, it makes all the hard work worth it to see the rewards. Having gone 4 games without a win in late Feb into March, things were looking bleak considering we're used to winning. Football is like that and you don't just get what you think you deserve. But ending that short rut winning the Semi Final has sparked us into life again and we've learned some valuable lessons at both ends of the spectrum and now we're 5 unbeaten and we've retained the cup in it's final ever outting, earning ourselves an Evely Cup Final against Pendeen Rovers on Sun 30th April at Porthleven, somewhere I've wanted to play for a long time.

With the Foxes not having lost since May's Cup Final last year, we were the underdogs and not many genuinely fancied us. Usually I find Torpoint are the team people don't want to win, but this year it was Foxhole, likely due to their unbeaten season and everyone likes an underdog. This went in our favour, and despite the odds stacked against us, we had the most important thing in our locker, belief. I was incredibly nervous as I always am for big games and it's not often I skip meals!

We started quite brightly, but neither side really grabbed the opening spell by the scruff. Until 15mins in we got Easterbrook on the ball in a dangerous area, whose quick feet just inside the box brought himself a foul and a penalty, which Hussey confidently placed into the net having sent the keeper Prynn the wrong way. A few nerves were also on display on the pitch and a few loose touches and passes from both sides. On 33mins a long ball by eventual Man of the Match Pearce was swept up by Angel Coates, with Josh Payn in hot pursuit. Coates' underhit backpass was closed down by Payn who beat the flat footed keeper to the ball and found himself through on goal for an empty net and slid the ball in before the covering defender could get across for 2-0. Our other best effort in the half was a trademark Robbins free kick 25yards from goal which went narrowly over the bar. Foxhole themselves will rue a missed chance as a superb cross from the right hand side was met at the far post by top scorer Bould who smashed his volley against the woodwork from close range and the power on it rebounded to safety. Let off. 2-0 HT. I have to say I don't think we deserved a 2 goal lead as chances and quality possession was lacking from both sides. The longer the half wore on our defence continued to stay on top and centre half pairing of WhiteS and Pearce swept up everything other than the chance hitting the woodwork. The HT was really positive and it felt like everyone knew the situation. Having been 2-0 up at North Peth last month which finished in a draw we knew the game state well. Young Aidan Bark lead the discussion about the previous frustrations and another example of how the young lads have grown throughout the season as he held the room and others chipped in with similar notes. All I asked was to echo these statements and not give anything up. We knew Foxhole would throw the kitchen sink at us and we may even concede. Just know we have enough quality ourselves to score at the other end and not to crumble.

And crumble we did not. Ricks and Doodles in particular were doing their best to drive the team forward but no clear chances were had, until another cross from wide met Bould to head down and into the net, but the official ruled it out. Comments on the forum have suggested it was a foul on keeper Jackson, but I believe it was a push on Pearce and Deacs' image shows him doubled over. Fortuitous maybe that the referee spotted it but a relief for us. At the other end a counter attack lead to a chipped ball into Easterbrook 18yards out whose left footed half volley flew past Prynn and in for 3-0 but this was also disallowed, this time for offside, correctly so I think. Counter attacks were all we could muster throughout the half, and another break saw us 3 on 1 vs Rickard but the pass went left to Easterbrook again offside when a ball out right to Rio Driver would've been way onside in his own half to charge at goal with support nearby. These split second decisions are make or break and I did question if/when the next goal would come as it would be critical. And it eventually came Foxhole's way, with Cowboy Rowe pouncing on a loose ball to side foot the ball home with 10-15 still to play. With the Foxes having Bould, Rowe and the introduced Cheshire in attack, I was relieved we didn't give them much of a sniff after that and were very few close calls. The ascendency was all Foxhole's but the spine of the team was impeccable, with Pearce and young Brown in particular standout performers. Numerous times we had 10-11 players in our own 1/3 with no out ball which was a worry and we were far too deep. A late injury to Dom Murray stemmed the flow for a minute with the stoppage and I asked us to get 5-10yards higher up the pitch and for the forwards to at least leave one up to get us some joy of escaping. Eventually time petered out and the full time whistle went. 

The task now is to win the Evely Cup Final and retain that one too. I think it would be difficult for Foxhole to throw away the league title from the position they're in, but their schedule is jam packed and this may cause it's own hiccups as points are more important than games in hand. Not enough credit has gone to North Petherwin this season as they've lead the way for quite some time now, and will be determined to hold off their challengers. For us in the league, we also need to hang on to their coat tails and finish in the top 3, something we've done every year since the 15/16 season, so that's the other aim to finish above SNE, St Columb and St Minver who have wind in their sails again. 

A thank you to St Blazey for hosting their excellent facilities and a pleasure to see a smiling Martin Richards as always, the four officials who were their usual happy selves, and lastly to Foxhole who were gracious in defeat. A few beers shared afterwards with quite a few mixing between the sides, how it used to be! Good luck to Seth and the Foxes for the rest of their season, except the two games we still have to play eachother. 

Starting to feel a little more human now. Was massively in the bin until late yesterday afternoon after celebrating on Sunday. Both team sheets are now up on Full Time @davegrose

Great write up mate and congratulations on the win