Cornwall Football Forum

MATCH REPORT: Saltash United v Bridgwater United

Saltash United 3 Bridgwater United 1

A superb second half performance turned the game around following a tight first half which the visitors edged on chances and the scoreline. 5 minutes in a out-swinging free kick is headed home by Spence for the visitors. A poor goal to concede. The missing Callum O'Brien might have been useful at that juncture! Another header a few minutes later brought a regulation save from Duffey in the Ashes goal. Just like the Barum game I went to recently, a slow start enabled the visitors to gain the upper hand. Really strange not to see the Ashes on the front foot from the start!

The first Ashes chance saw Smith hit the base of the post on 28 Minutes. As the first half wore on Saltash came more into the game but no clear cut opening created and  Bridgy back line  looking organised and resolute.

Two Smith headers from close in - in the 54th and 67th minutes - saw the Ashes second half total dominance rewarded and put them in front. Another fierce drive was pushed away by Phillips in visitors goal in the 58th minute and on 62 minutes Smith powers into the box and tumbles to the floor. In truth, rightly a well timed tackle rather than a penalty. At this point Saltash were well on top but the best was to come. On 73 minutes a jinking run into the box, slaloming past Bridgy defenders followed by  a very patient and cool finish from Harrison Davis provided the moment of the match. A super goal. The midfield so ineffective in the first half were well in control now. For me Davis and Watson were standout players in the middle of the park. I've always been a fan of the latter and consider him one of the WL's best midfielders. The lack of goals from Watson is the only thing that stops him playing at a higher level and why he may have ended up surplus to requirements at Tavi.

The Ashes continued to dominate and never let Bridgwater have a sniff in the latter stages of the game. Don't know who was deemed MOTM, but everyone was superb for the Ashes in the second half. 

I've seen Saltash possibly 7 or 8 times this season. In a number of games, Ashes have come from behind to win. They just do not accept defeat! Great team ethic, commitment and a fair helping of talent. Sometimes they go long too often aiming for Smith and Carter. They aren't as easy on the eye as Mousehole. I think the latter's squad is stronger and (as it stands currently) more likely to make a greater impact in the Southern League should they both make it.

A really good evenings entertainment. I liked the look of the No 3 for Bridgwater - has a touch of Stuart Pearce about him. Being an NFFC fan that is, of course, a very good thing. A very robust no-nonsense defender.

The only downside was I was meant to be going to Priory Park - I missed a Blues 9-0 away win. Grrrr!! Tavi tonight and back to the sexy football at Lux Park on Friday!

game of two half's, first half Bridgewater in control ,one up and could of had more, second half Saltash just steam rolled them and deserved the win, away from the football  two things i noticed , the floodlights are terrible ,dull patches mainly in the middle, and a sparse crowd  good turn out from Bridgewater fans , but low number of home fans, top versus  third was expecting to be more ,

4 hours ago, tamar.man said:

game of two half's, first half Bridgewater in control ,one up and could of had more, second half Saltash just steam rolled them and deserved the win, away from the football  two things i noticed , the floodlights are terrible ,dull patches mainly in the middle, and a sparse crowd  good turn out from Bridgewater fans , but low number of home fans, top versus  third was expecting to be more ,

Actually that was a much better-than-average crowd!! Was it 153 or 163?  I can't recall. As you say, good numbers from Somerset for a hastily re-arranged midweek fixture. I've said several times I see Saltash as an unwelcoming club with dated facilities, as well as 'uncertain ambition'. Funnily enough, unusually for me, for the latter stages of the game, I stood up by the side of the clubhouse. I too, although I got to The Kimberley quite often, thought those lights are pretty poor. Still best not say anything, they are a bit touchy if you criticise them at Saltash. Maybe, just maybe, myself and others are right?! A successful team for years, in one of the larger Cornish towns, with having the Plymouth football fraternity just across the river, why is it then they are so under supported?

7 minutes ago, tamar.man said:

That’s funny because the floodlights passed the recent lux test (Western League approved company from Wiltshire) and there’s no bulbs out. The positioning was done following the storms of last winter so… perhaps have a word with them on their works? 

30 minutes ago, Philheybrookbay said:

That’s funny because the floodlights passed the recent lux test (Western League approved company from Wiltshire) and there’s no bulbs out. The positioning was done following the storms of last winter so… perhaps have a word with them on their works? 

Phil,

I’d never noticed an issue with the lights before from the stand. It did seem to be pretty poor when viewed by the side of the clubhouse last night. I though it is interesting to see another contributor mention this, having been struck by the same thoughts myself last night!

1 hour ago, Both Sides of the Tamar said:

Phil,

I’d never noticed an issue with the lights before from the stand. It did seem to be pretty poor when viewed by the side of the clubhouse last night. I though it is interesting to see another contributor mention this, having been struck by the same thoughts myself last night!

Probably after 40 years faithful service I’d be a little dim BUT and this is the important thing- those lights were all working last night and have a fully accredited FA wave of at least 120 lux with certification to prove it. 

Under the FA competitions they have to be tested every 2 years ( and that’s not cheap) but as one set of fitments was moved in Storm Eunice last season we had x2 visits - once to confirm the lamps had moved and one to confirm that they were back in the right location to give the required lux across the whole pitch. On the original inspection one corner was lower but within the 20% minimum guidance- and the TSWL accepted that as they knew we’d gone through the insurance to sort. 

Whilst not dragging the match referee or other clubs into the non argument- if a bulb or bulbs are out then the match referee can (and did last season to another club as I recall) call a game off.  It would be down to in our case TSWL to confirm the P-P and charge the club accordingly. 

If- If we get promoted then by 2024, they’ll have to be tested again- but currently they meet step FA guidance anyway. 

But as they’re all working last night, met the lux values, referee was happy, opponents were happy I’d say that puts that discussion to rest. 

1 hour ago, Philheybrookbay said:

Probably after 40 years faithful service I’d be a little dim BUT and this is the important thing- those lights were all working last night and have a fully accredited FA wave of at least 120 lux with certification to prove it. 

Under the FA competitions they have to be tested every 2 years ( and that’s not cheap) but as one set of fitments was moved in Storm Eunice last season we had x2 visits - once to confirm the lamps had moved and one to confirm that they were back in the right location to give the required lux across the whole pitch. On the original inspection one corner was lower but within the 20% minimum guidance- and the TSWL accepted that as they knew we’d gone through the insurance to sort. 

Whilst not dragging the match referee or other clubs into the non argument- if a bulb or bulbs are out then the match referee can (and did last season to another club as I recall) call a game off.  It would be down to in our case TSWL to confirm the P-P and charge the club accordingly. 

If- If we get promoted then by 2024, they’ll have to be tested again- but currently they meet step FA guidance anyway. 

But as they’re all working last night, met the lux values, referee was happy, opponents were happy I’d say that puts that discussion to rest. 

I appreciate you coming back with the detail you have. It was a cracking night of football last night! Wish Ashes well in your likely playoff game!

This result means that Saltash are now guaranteed a top 2 finish, and Mousehole just need 1 more point for the same (although their goal difference is vastly superior to the other theoretical contenders Bridgwater, so effectively an extra point).

Just the who wins the title and goes up as of right to be decided now.

2 hours ago, Way Of The Park said:

Yes, didn't realise Barum had so many matches left to play. They would have to win all of their remaining 8 matches though to overhaul Mousehole, and hope you lot lose your last 5. Mathematically not quite over for them, but it probably is in reality. 

The only issue is.. all league games have to be completed in theory by 22nd and games in play off have to take place 29th, 30th or 31st. 

Barnstaple play Buckland on 29th - so unless they move it so Barnstaple play Tues/Thurs/sat …

I think the instruction has been slightly watered down for some leagues, so that only teams in contention for a play-off (up or down) need to complete by a certain date.

But that Barnstable date would have to change if things go their way.