Plymouth Marjon            3-4         Newton Abbot Spurs

Sidmouth Town               2-4         Elburton Villa

Torrington                        0-2         Teignmouth

WEST

Bodmin Town                  0-9         Liskeard Athletic

Callington Town              P-P   Dobwalls

7 hours ago, sportsman10 said:

9-0 just shows the ridiculous standard in the league 

. Liskeard even with the luxury of bringing on Ryan Richards when about 6 nil up  what was the point.  

Wonder what was going through Darren Gilbert's mind when he was watching the club that he was the driving force behind for many years, get so comprehensively beaten. 

4 hours ago, Way Of The Park said:

Wonder what was going through Darren Gilbert's mind when he was watching the club that he was the driving force behind for many years, get so comprehensively beaten. 

I can't imagine Darren worried too much last night and wanted to go for the kill. It was nice for him to be recognised in the week for his achievements alongside those long standing committee members who are also stepping down. Seems there more change in store at Priory Park.

6 hours ago, Way Of The Park said:

He probably thought I dragged this club right down, I'm so glad I joined a club that was doing well, hopefully if we score enough against these youngsters everyone will forget we got kicked out the senior cup for cheating. 🤣

17 minutes ago, silly billy said:

He probably thought I dragged this club right down, I'm so glad I joined a club that was doing well, hopefully if we score enough against these youngsters everyone will forget we got kicked out the senior cup for cheating. 🤣

Two sides to everything and so he probably thought 'what a great time I had at Priory Park bringing such fabulous successful times and trophies to the club!' :thumbsup:

4 minutes ago, Dave Deacon said:

Two sides to everything and so he probably thought 'what a great time I had at Priory Park bringing such fabulous successful times and trophies to the club!' :thumbsup:

Unfortunately that was before I started going regular. One of my first was experiences was when Bodmin throw away a 4-0 lead to Camelford with Bobby H scoring from the halfway line. Not such a great time for Darren 🤣

45 minutes ago, silly billy said:

Unfortunately that was before I started going regular. One of my first was experiences was when Bodmin throw away a 4-0 lead to Camelford with Bobby H scoring from the halfway line. Not such a great time for Darren 🤣

Bad timing for you just missing out on the reign of one of the most successful managers in the history of Cornish football!

1 hour ago, Dave Deacon said:

Darren, out of respect for a club he holds close to his heart, and has won countless trophies with, sat in the stand for the 90 minutes and enjoyed a good display of football from the Blues.

15 hours ago, hoppit said:

Money dried up, same as always

Think Bodmin more strapped for people (volunteers and committee) rather than cash. Knowledgeable followers of Cornish football rightly  show Darren Gilbert respect for his achievements at Priory Park.

Of course, as a fierce competitor, he’s not always loved by fans of other clubs. The game, at all levels, is littered with clubs whose big budgets did not furnish the hoped for trophies. 

If we are judging Darren Gilbert on step 6 trophies, then I guess he was a success at Bodmin. However if you judge him on legacy he was a disaster for the club. Bodmin in their glory days had a big enough budget to take the best players from their rivals and yet claimed they couldn’t afford promotion. What nonsense! They could have reduced their high playing budget, bought an old minibus  and played a team of youngsters in the Western League. They could have tried to progress the club but instead chose to chase more tinpot trophies. If you don’t go forwards, you go backwards. This team is his legacy! A nothing club playing village football!!

15 minutes ago, Rob1978 said:

If we are judging Darren Gilbert on step 6 trophies, then I guess he was a success at Bodmin. However if you judge him on legacy he was a disaster for the club. Bodmin in their glory days had a big enough budget to take the best players from their rivals and yet claimed they couldn’t afford promotion. What nonsense! They could have reduced their high playing budget, bought an old minibus  and played a team of youngsters in the Western League. They could have tried to progress the club but instead chose to chase more tinpot trophies. If you don’t go forwards, you go backwards. This team is his legacy! A nothing club playing village football!!

Why would you try and play western league football(which was a better standard 10 years ago than it is now) with a "team of youngsters"......ridiculous

If Bodmin had to reduce their playing budget in order to pay for increased travel costs, the way to do that would be to let go of some higher earners and play some more youngsters. The team may well have struggled, but mid to lower table in the western would have represented progress for club, as opposed to an umpteenth step 6 trophy. What is if you don’t understand? Surely you’re not that stupid?

9 hours ago, Footy follower said:

They wdnt have finished lower...they wdve finished bottom.....at the previous level of western league.....if they had played youngsters(unless by some miracle they had very good youngsters)

But his point is at least have a go. Pointless jusy plodding along wining the same  stuff every season in front of 1 man and his dog.  Try and progress the club move it forward isn’t that what a progressive manager does . Look at parkway , helston , Falmouth etc  even millbrook. All moved on left Bodmin behind. 

St Blazey dominated the SWL in the era before Bodmin when managed by Trevor Newton and they also refused to go up, but they seem to avoid all the criticism for that on here.

in Bodmin's defence, Falmouth, Saltash and Liskeard had all tried in the 70s and 80s and had all eventually suffered for it. The feeling at the time was that it was just not sustainable.

Credit to the FA for implementing the mass promotion of South West clubs up to the Western League a couple of seasons ago and making the step up a bit more doable. It has certainly made things much more interesting having the realistic possibility of promotion instead of the same teams dominating every year.

7 hours ago, sportsman10 said:

But his point is at least have a go. Pointless jusy plodding along wining the same  stuff every season in front of 1 man and his dog.  Try and progress the club move it forward isn’t that what a progressive manager does . Look at parkway , helston , Falmouth etc  even millbrook. All moved on left Bodmin behind. 

Yes..l agree.....but playing random kids cos they are cheap isn't having a go is it?

2 hours ago, Footy follower said:

Yes..l agree.....but playing random kids cos they are cheap isn't having a go is it?

Who said anything about playing random kids? I’ll break it down -

1. Bodmin said they couldn’t afford promotion

2. Bodmin had a big playing budget

3. Bodmin could have reduced playing budget to allow for increased travelling costs

4. Some big names leave, but some stay because they want the challenge themselves at step 5

5 The gaps in the team are filled by talented ambitious young players, some of whom see step 5 as a stepping stone. 

6 A weakened but still good Bodmin finish mid table in western league

7. The club establishes itself at step 5 and possibly draws more sponsorship. 

Would things have worked worked out like this? Who knows? But surely they wouldn’t be worse off then they are now!

On 07/04/2023 at 08:30, sportsman10 said:

Bodmin were not the only club not to take promotion. Until the four up at once season, all Cornish clubs declined promotion, as did many Devon  clubs in recent times, until Buckland took the plunge, but hey lets  have an unfair pop at Darren Gilbert and his stellar record - and I say that as a non Bodmin fan!