Cornwall Football Forum

Discipline

Always a difficult situation for Clubs to "control" the actions of spectators. Comments made by supporters during a game cannot be "unsaid", nor denied and there are certainly no possible excuses for such behaviour. Hopefully, there is now more awareness by spectators of the consequences for Clubs when such things happen, and steps have been taken to lessen the chance of such occurances.

2 hours ago, John Mead said:

Always a difficult situation for Clubs to "control" the actions of spectators. Comments made by supporters during a game cannot be "unsaid", nor denied and there are certainly no possible excuses for such behaviour. Hopefully, there is now more awareness by spectators of the consequences for Clubs when such things happen, and steps have been taken to lessen the chance of such occurances.

Spot on John, when I used to represent the club at discipline hearings, always asked the question. What can the club do to actually stop anyone in the ground shouting comments on the spur of the moment,they cannot so therefore the club CANNOT ensure that it wont happen. If we cannot stop it happening, how can the club be guilty of the offence, of allowing it to happen, when the FA have no answer to the problem.  Only putting up notices, lecturing to the playing staff, advising them of the consequencies, etc. But to stop it you cannot.

How would the club react if a spectator racially abused an assistant referee? Does the club regard sexist abuse as seriously as it does racist abuse, or less so? If less so, what does that say about the club and its values? Would a ban for supporters guilty of sexist abuse - whether temporary or permanent - make it less likely that others would behave in the same way in the future? 

6 minutes ago, GaryHocking said:

How would the club react if a spectator racially abused an assistant referee? Does the club regard sexist abuse as seriously as it does racist abuse, or less so? If less so, what does that say about the club and its values? Would a ban for supporters guilty of sexist abuse - whether temporary or permanent - make it less likely that others would behave in the same way in the future? 

The sexist comments are where people need re-educating.

I doubt that some people still realise those sort of comments are wrong in this day and age

Its quite right all the comments re abuse both verbal and physical, are right. Should not be tolerated and at many grounds does not happen. That still leaves the action what can a club can actually do on the day, it is the fact that they are unable to prevent someone doing something at a moment in time. Yes they deal with it after, by various ways to advise people of future conduct. But, in this situation,  no one can be guilty of failing to prevent something happening as they would not be aware it had happened until after.  This type of guilt would never appear in legal legislation, as its like the ducking stool from ancient times. If you survived the ducking you were guilty, if you drowned you were innocent..........:clapper:

Thanks for your contribution gents . . . 

Totally agree with you Footy BUT  the this day and age bit comment I don't agree with . Theoretically as time moves on we should become cleverer  or more intelligent  . In reality we arn't ( this is only my view speaking as an old man ) So called comedians no longer tell jokes , they simple laugh among themselves whilst insulting M.P.'s , the Royal family and people with disabilities . Most sit coms rely on bad language to raise a laugh . In effect what I'm saying is that in theory you should be right regarding sexist and racial comments shouted at , for example a referee or their assistant , but because it's condoned on T.V.  and film most modern people regard it as acceptable . There is to my mind something peculiar about football that send fans and players into  a strange hysteria when a goal is scored  , a possible foul is committed or an offside is missed .

Just as example I was at a Norwich City game , I was in the stand furthest away from the away goal . The opposition played cleared the ball from the touchline , most of the people in the lower stand around me leapt to their feet screaming for a Norwich throw in because they thought the ball had crossed the line before he cleared it . Thereafter the referee and his assistant got abuse for the rest of the game . Now it's beyond me how or why they got so incensed  because you could see the touchline from where we were . That's without mentioning the chants  aimed at officials and the opposition  at the majority of grounds .

This sort of behavior is commonplace at all  football games from the premiership down to Duchy  but doesn't seem to happen in other sports . WHY ? 

Well  said Fenman, it's good to read comments that make a lot of sense.
Regarding so called comedians, after a match at Upton Park some years ago we were invited to the B.B.C, studios to watch a live T.V. comedy show.
Before the show started we were instructed on how to react to the characters performance in the show.
This involved a warm up character who stood behind the cameras during the show gesticulating to the audience on when to laugh and clap, and when to keep quiet.
It made a complete mockery of the evenings entertainment.
At a chat later in the evening the point was raised " what would happen if this level of deceit happened on the football pitch" well now we know when players and managers try to influence match officials with phoney injuries, and foul play claims etc.
Like it or loath it, it's no wonder the F.A. saw fit to introduce V.A.R. to sort out the cheats, they now need to sort out how to properly administer it.
Although Fenmans comment and ours refer in the main to professional people and teams, the big worry is the copycat theme that cascades down through the system to the very grassroots of football and beyond.
Why doesn't it happen in other sports ? it's because of the respect demanded of the participants of other sports which is generally adhered to because of the penalties involved if they go beyond the limit of what is acceptable.

On 30/03/2023 at 11:28, Home Waters said:

Spot on John, when I used to represent the club at discipline hearings, always asked the question. What can the club do to actually stop anyone in the ground shouting comments on the spur of the moment,they cannot so therefore the club CANNOT ensure that it wont happen. If we cannot stop it happening, how can the club be guilty of the offence, of allowing it to happen, when the FA have no answer to the problem.  Only putting up notices, lecturing to the playing staff, advising them of the consequencies, etc. But to stop it you cannot.

It’s pretty simple really. The clubs can do something, they can identify who said it and ban them from the club for a long period. Then people will realise the consequences and the club involved will get some credit from the FA for acting promptly and probably a reduced punishment. Only strict action will reduce or prevent this type of unacceptable behaviour. It’s 2023 not the dark ages.

Apologies , my quote should have read " they couldn't see the touchline from where we sat " 

Just one further comment about discipline  and football supporters in stadiums . Some years ago due to various problems with crowd safety all seated was introduced . It is quite common now to see supporters behind the goal end standing  for the entire game . The seated system was introduced for supporters safety  and yet thousands ignore it . Who carries the can if  fatalities occur because of this , the police , the stadium owners , the government ? everyone except the fans .

2 minutes ago, fenman said:

Apologies , my quote should have read " they couldn't see the touchline from where we sat " 

Just one further comment about discipline  and football supporters in stadiums . Some years ago due to various problems with crowd safety all seated was introduced . It is quite common now to see supporters behind the goal end standing  for the entire game . The seated system was introduced for supporters safety  and yet thousands ignore it . Who carries the can if  fatalities occur because of this , the police , the stadium owners , the government ? everyone except the fans .

It’s the ref’s fault. He should insist that they sit down or clear the area. That’ll soon stop it.