Cornwall Football Forum

FIXTURES - SATURDAY, 1ST APRIL, 2023

St Austell vs st dominick off 

makes you wonder why the geniuses behind the league fixture scheduling are, having so many blank gameweeks at the start of the season every single year and then when the weather gets bad towards end of the season end up having to cram 3 games a week in to play catch up 🤯 

2 hours ago, Grassrootsgary said:

St Austell vs st dominick off 

makes you wonder why the geniuses behind the league fixture scheduling are, having so many blank gameweeks at the start of the season every single year and then when the weather gets bad towards end of the season end up having to cram 3 games a week in to play catch up 🤯 

I'm absolutely sure that they sit there at the start of every season and think "how can I make this as difficult as I can and hinder teams" 🙄

Or 

They are working within set parameters of League and FA rules that may or may not include: clubs deciding when they start, availability of pitches, availability of players as the cricket season overlaps in to the football season, fixtures of other teams on the pitches, fixtures of available opposition and countless other issues. 

I'm sure, of course, you have already considered all of these factors and more and maybe if you would like to volunteer your time and effort to fulfill a committee role, you could put yourself forward for a position for next season and show them all how it should be done?

Don't be daft peggy its much easier to voice an misinformed opinion on something they know nothing about, about volunteers who give up there time very little thanks or reward so that others can play football most league volunteers are of a retirement age so it's not like they're doing these roles so they can play football it's purely so others can 

Illogan RBL 1, Mousehole (or is it "Mousehall"?) 1

Not a bad game to watch. Some good saves mainly by Illogan's Barry Wyatt, some wasted chances both ends, Illogan hitting the post just a couple of minutes from the end, some banter in the stand, plenty of hot chocolate: Illogan had done their homework. Obviously Mousehole were going to play that "building from the back" cobblers because they have coaches well-versed in the F.A.'s bftb coaching mantra. Illogan pressed well, but lacked the finer points of pressing. Pressing is done by the front players and it is a widely-held belief that attackers don't know how to defend. I had a coach back in the 60s, well head of his time, who espoused the philosophy of "the 1st defender" who, when the ball was lost up front, was the forward nearest the opponent with the ball. "You can't call yourself a forward if your team hasn't got the ball". Hence he coached us ALL how to jockey an opponent. Illogan's lads were closing down quickly but some tended to dive in to tackle which is no good. They pressed well enough, though, to upset Mousehole sometimes in their back third. Mousehole, as expected, played some swift, skilful interpassing, some lovely one-touch stuff and their young players were often uncomfortably quick. Their shooting was a bit wild as they sought the winner. Tackles were sometimes wild and tempers frayed but no-one got sent off (An Illogan back was sin-binned in the 2nd half for mouthing off at the Ref). Mousehole led following a flowing move in the 18th minute after soaking up a lot of pressure and Illogan equalised in the 54th, a good old fashioned header off a right wing corner. Contrasting styles of goals reflecting the contrasting styles of play by two committed teams.

4 hours ago, peggy78 said:

I'm absolutely sure that they sit there at the start of every season and think "how can I make this as difficult as I can and hinder teams" 🙄

Or 

They are working within set parameters of League and FA rules that may or may not include: clubs deciding when they start, availability of pitches, availability of players as the cricket season overlaps in to the football season, fixtures of other teams on the pitches, fixtures of available opposition and countless other issues. 

I'm sure, of course, you have already considered all of these factors and more and maybe if you would like to volunteer your time and effort to fulfill a committee role, you could put yourself forward for a position for next season and show them all how it should be done?

Cricket season overlaps into the football season behave 😂 

The cricket season has been starting and finishing roughly the same time for many a season. Slightly earlier in recent times due to not playing on bank holiday Mondays anymore. Usually it starts last weekend in April at that point you would expect the football season to be finished. It's even worse in the Trelawney leagues have no game for 6 weeks then expect to play twice a week to try and catch up plus most teams start the season in August 40 weekends within a football season give or take we've only played 24 games it's madness and they wonder why participation gets lower and lower each season 

Perranwell 3 Falmouth 9 - this was no April Fools day score line! The young Falmouth side were as outstanding as the Well were poor. No complaints with the result, the score could have been more! Kevin Knowles had a good game too, 1 pen each, but after the Well had equalised Falmouth’s opening minute goal it was pretty much one way traffic. On to the next game, but well played Falmouth.

On 01/04/2023 at 17:22, Tom Trust said:

Illogan RBL 1, Mousehole (or is it "Mousehall"?) 1

Not a bad game to watch. Some good saves mainly by Illogan's Barry Wyatt, some wasted chances both ends, Illogan hitting the post just a couple of minutes from the end, some banter in the stand, plenty of hot chocolate: Illogan had done their homework. Obviously Mousehole were going to play that "building from the back" cobblers because they have coaches well-versed in the F.A.'s bftb coaching mantra. Illogan pressed well, but lacked the finer points of pressing. Pressing is done by the front players and it is a widely-held belief that attackers don't know how to defend. I had a coach back in the 60s, well head of his time, who espoused the philosophy of "the 1st defender" who, when the ball was lost up front, was the forward nearest the opponent with the ball. "You can't call yourself a forward if your team hasn't got the ball". Hence he coached us ALL how to jockey an opponent. Illogan's lads were closing down quickly but some tended to dive in to tackle which is no good. They pressed well enough, though, to upset Mousehole sometimes in their back third. Mousehole, as expected, played some swift, skilful interpassing, some lovely one-touch stuff and their young players were often uncomfortably quick. Their shooting was a bit wild as they sought the winner. Tackles were sometimes wild and tempers frayed but no-one got sent off (An Illogan back was sin-binned in the 2nd half for mouthing off at the Ref). Mousehole led following a flowing move in the 18th minute after soaking up a lot of pressure and Illogan equalised in the 54th, a good old fashioned header off a right wing corner. Contrasting styles of goals reflecting the contrasting styles of play by two committed teams.

I think this is the only match report on the forum this weekend!!! Thanks Tom, i used to enjoy reading these but the rest of this forum is scattered with false names having a go at people trying to do their best to keep Cornish football going. A sad sign of the times I’m afraid.

2 hours ago, JonColenzo said:

I think this is the only match report on the forum this weekend!!! Thanks Tom, i used to enjoy reading these but the rest of this forum is scattered with false names having a go at people trying to do their best to keep Cornish football going. A sad sign of the times I’m afraid.

Sorry Jon I was being lazy!

Now added my quick thoughts about the Mousehole v Shepton match.

You’re quite right of course, there’s very little mentioned across the forum of any of the games that take place.

It doesn’t need to be an in depth analysis of a match, but these days they are indeed rare to read at all on the forum.

With only a few weeks of another season remaining, it would be great for all of us regular forum users to mention where we’ve watched. Who knows, there might not be the opportunity next season!

17 minutes ago, Dave Deacon said:

Sorry Jon I was being lazy!

Now added my quick thoughts about the Mousehole v Shepton match.

You’re quite right of course, there’s very little mentioned across the forum of any of the games that take place.

It doesn’t need to be an in depth analysis of a match, but these days they are indeed rare to read at all on the forum.

With only a few weeks of another season remaining, it would be great for all of us regular forum users to mention where we’ve watched. Who knows, there might not be the opportunity next season!

Thanks Dave, 

Sounds like you saw a cracking match and managed to stay fairly dry, best wishes to Goldie, hopefully nothing too serious. Great to have an all Cornish battle at the top of the table, but who’ll get the title?

Torpoint AFC 1-1 St Mawgan

Torpoint XI: Brown, Murray, Bouch, Manuel, Taylor, Haslam, Camara, Coutts, Mason, Stearnes, Small

Subs: Manuel, Robbins, Larsen, Cullerton, Payn

After last weeks loss and performance against Saltash, we managed to keep the same squad but 4 changes to the starting XI. We've been lucky with the group since Ian and I stepped back in that the squad has been reasonably settled with only a few injuries and the odd player stepping up with Dean (the aim of this side).

We knew what St Mawgan would bring, organisation and a physical battle. Their side hasn't changed too much since their Duchy days, Tilston coming in for Allen over those years shows the quality in and around the area. After speaking about a reaction from last week, we certainly didn't get it in the first half. Our quality on the ball was poor and we were second to almost every ball. Mawgan threats came continuously from their narrow front 3, led by Tilston but they were unable to really test Brown. Their midfield 3 on top for 90% of the half and the #5 having a stormer at full-back. It wasn't surprising when we went 1-0 down as it felt a long time coming in the half and we were looking to HT for a reset.

Another 3 changes at HT, making it back to back games. Not a sign of a team playing well and something we need to get out of for our remaining games. The introduction of Payn and Cullerton were felt immediately, more urgency on and off the ball meant we were able to win the ball higher up the pitch as start putting Mawgan under pressure. The visitors remained resolute in their defending, managing to keep Cullerton, Stearnes and Larsen all at bay as we looked to get something from the game. We were kept honest and have Brown to thank for keeping us in the game with a top save to tip over the bar. With St Mawgan reduced to 10 men (sin-bin) we managed to do just that. Some good build up play found the skipper, Taylor, wide who after beating his man crossed for Stearnes who was unable to connect with the ball but it found its way to Larsen at the back post. Showing great composure, he was able to control before placing past the GK. The group were spurred by this and felt we could get all 3 points, Cullerton with an acrobatic overhead was well saved to the keepers right keeping the game at 1-1 for FT.

Excellent report Dave on Mousehole vs Mallet. Josh Bissett is an amazing prospect - only just turned 19 and came to Mousehole from Exmouth Town and Hartpury University. 

I’ve put up a report on yesterday’s CWFL quarter-final between Helston & St Agnes in the appropriate section of the Forum now too. I used to post match reports (both men’s and women’s) more regularly but, as others have commented on here before, as soon as you post a match report you need to don a tin hat as the trolls queue up to tell you in just how many ways that you are an idiot.