WEST

Callington Town           P-P   Mullion

Dobwalls                      P-P     Bude Town

Liskeard Athletic          0-2      St Blazey

Newquay                      3-1     AFC St Austell

St Dennis                      P-P     Launceston

• Dave Deacon changed the title to RESULTS - Saturday 25 March 2023

Liskeard Athletic          0-2      St Blazey,

the rain eased off so decided to attend, difficult conditions but all i can say, best  team won, liskeard no threat until lorenz came on.  but went off injured,  st blazey bench very gobby,  they constantly whinged all game

Liskeard Athletic 0v2 St Blazey. Att.175est. 

Highlights from St Blazey's big win away at Liskeard. Goals from Watkins and Cloke. A very wet and boggy pitch which St Blazey battled away well on and deserved all three points with two well taken goals. My man of the match, Martin Giles, but you could argue a case for anyone in green and black. Superb today. 

Liskeard Athletic 0 St Blazey 2

Tamar man is absolutely right - the best team won and St B did a real job on the Blues. The back line was immense, the midfield first to every ball and all the chances came Blazey’s way.

No team has nullified the Blues attacking flair as well as this in the games I’ve seen this season. Semmens in the visitors goal did not have a difficult save to make all afternoon. I cannot recall one gilt edged chance created by the Blues all match! The only annoyance was the gobbiness of the Blazey bench, niggling all game. As it happens, I though the ref was pretty good today, especially managing such a high profile game.

25 mins - Blazey in front, with a slow-motion goal turned in by Watkins from a Allen centre.

45 mins - a smart Luke Cloke finish for 0-2

Cloke (IIRC) denied by a Jordan Duffey save in the second half. A couple of other chances missed and at times scoring opportunities denied by trying too hard to make sure with efforts, rather than getting shots away.

A shame such a massive game played on a difficult pitch, but well done to home volunteers in ensuring we had a game on. Certainly the pitch not ideal for the ‘sexy football’ the Blues try to play.

So St Blazey will be Champions.  Sometimes you have to win relatively ugly. Today was such a day. They’ve played some good stuff during the season and likely to edge the title, probably rightly.Well done those in Green & Black.

The Blues? Injuries and suspensions derailed the team around the New Year onwards. How can any team afford to lose Lorenz for much of the second half of the season? That said, a good run was put together, with some great football played. A team that I’d still say is the most fluent at full strength and when on top form. I’ve enjoyed watching them fairly regularly.

Tuesday and the WCP Semi v N A Spurs next - COYB! 

15 minutes ago, Paul said:

Highlights from St Blazey's big win away at Liskeard. Goals from Watkins and Cloke. A very wet and boggy pitch which St Blazey battled away well on and deserved all three points with two well taken goals. My man of the match, Martin Giles, but you could argue a case for anyone in green and black. Superb today. 

Agree Paul - Giles immense for you today. He marshalled the superb back line really well today. My MOTM too.

39 minutes ago, Paul said:

Was it Lafs who had the yellow card? 

Yes, have to agree that on the day St Blazey did the business and prevented Liskeard getting even close to trying to ensure that the league title race might go on for a little longer. By this time next week, barring an absolute miracle, it’ll be all but over!

Obviously, with all the rain we’ve had during the week, the pitch prevented too much decent football being on display and it was a bit of a slog for both sides. I have to wonder if Liskeard were gambling on the conditions equaling things out but to be fair they never came close to troubling Shaun Semmens, the St Blazey keeper.

After the break they took the risk of bringing on James Lorenz despite carrying an injury. It at least made the St Blazey defence think twice and hold off committing themselves against the tricky striker, but unfortunately for James, after attempting a full powered shot with his injured knee, it was too much for him and he had to depart the action. I hope the next time I watch James, it’ll be after he’s had the problem sorted post op!

A good attendance, reffed with no problems by Neil Hunnisett.