Cornwall Football Forum

Combellack Vehicle Recyclers East Cornwall Premier League Fixtures Tuesday 21st March.

4 hours ago, Foul Throw 3 said:

Both picking up some impressive points lately!

Unlike Torpoint 😂😂😂🥃

5 hours ago, Foul Throw 3 said:

Tuesday night fixtures under the lights.

Newquay Academy vs St Stephen - 19:00 KO

St Blazey Reserves vs Looe Town - 19:30 KO

Torpoint Athletic 3rds vs Wadebridge Town Reserves - 19:30 KO

Newquay Res 1-2 St Stephen 

St Blazey Res 3-1 vs Looe Town 

Torpoint 3rds 2-2 Wadebridge Town Res 

Evening games are alway an interesting one. Some teams struggle to get players in due to college and work commitments etc. Others have the benefit of higher teams some have both the pros and cons. 
We’ve got a couple regulars not available but a couple stepping up from our Reserves. Not sure of the score line but I’d like to think we’ll compete and play to win. Who knows, we might continue our winning form and pick up another 3pts. 🤞

We’re aware of St Blazey’s currently form too. Like us some good young lads coming through. 😉👍

3 hours ago, Boxy said:

Evening games are alway an interesting one. Some teams struggle to get players in due to college and work commitments etc. Others have the benefit of higher teams some have both the pros and cons. 
We’ve got a couple regulars not available but a couple stepping up from our Reserves. Not sure of the score line but I’d like to think we’ll compete and play to win. Who knows, we might continue our winning form and pick up another 3pts. 🤞

We’re aware of St Blazey’s currently form too. Like us some good young lads coming through. 😉👍

No chance of Blazey bringing in 1st teamers, away at St Dennis on the same night

55 minutes ago, L.Gibbons said:

With the ECPL rules of x3 "senior" players, you're never going to see sides flooded with players. 

Touche...

Cant see St Dennis 1sts being on tonight given the pitch from saturday and possible rain since.

True player rules help but when we went there with some players out they turned out Liam Eddy & Joe Cooper, Eddy bagged 4 hahaha :)  

Just got to hope they do the same to the other sides near the top of the division, 4th April would be much appreciated :) 

57 minutes ago, St George said:

Be interesting to see how clubs handle any new rules next season regarding dual registrations.

I think they need to limit squad sizes, can see the transfer admin spend being significantly higher

27 minutes ago, The Badger said:

I think they need to limit squad sizes, can see the transfer admin spend being significantly higher

£10 is the transfer fee for the SWL, St Piran and ECPL so I can't see that going up. Western League is £20 with more hoops to jump through to get a transfer done. I think a 2 club per player rule is feasible, one club for Step 7 and below and another for Step 6 and up perhaps? I don't think that would be difficult to administrate either but I'm buzzing it won't be me doing it! 

We've got 114 signed on I think 🤣

26 minutes ago, The Badger said:

Cant see St Dennis 1sts being on tonight given the pitch from saturday and possible rain since.

True player rules help but when we went there with some players out they turned out Liam Eddy & Joe Cooper, Eddy bagged 4 hahaha :)  

Just got to hope they do the same to the other sides near the top of the division, 4th April would be much appreciated :) 

Liams only reserves game all season, he needed game time as hadn’t played for a month. Coops was getting back to fitness played twice this season, Giler even had a game as missed a lot of time as was suspended. Surely that is the correct way for Blazey to use their players who are short of match time. 

Always going to be difficult to administer with players jumping all over the place, the "one umbrella" should help the Clubs going forward but hinder standalone teams.

At Torpoint, we ensure where possible that the player is Club registered. We're not adverse to dual registration but the team would have to be outside of a league that we're playing in. With the 2 league gap between our 1sts and 2nds, we have multiple players dual registered in the SWPL.

2 hours ago, iand said:

A good prospect Joe, Blazey reserves gave Joe some game time which Bodmin weren’t doing when he first signed for them, hope to see him at Blazey next year 1st team.

Not doubting Joe is a talent but he’s been involved in every Bodmin SWPL game since December so hardly needs ‘game time’ now. Scored recently against Nanpean and a hatrick against St Newlyn on Saturday - both when Bodmin didn’t have a game. 

The “one umbrella” model is a good thing imo. Know others will disagree. 

There'll definitely be a few interesting results with only a few games left in SWPL/St Pirans for most clubs.
It'll favour the reserve and third teams that have unified clubs with players willing to step down to help the club or just want a game.

It is good for those clubs where players are frequently seen between teams.
It's just not so good for the one team smaller clubs who end up facing top players from the clubs St Pirans / SWPL players in a league or cup critical game just because they can.

Will be interesting to see Torpoint and Liskeards Squads v Foxhole on 10th & 13th May (Although they may have the league wrapped up by then).

1 minute ago, TomTom said:

Will be interesting to see Torpoint and Liskeards Squads v Foxhole on 10th & 13th May (Although they may have the league wrapped up by then).

If they are still unbeaten we will be playing a Dammerz/Richards/Bays/Gibbons/Fice/Cardew front 6 like Hungary of the 50s and 60s. Total football!

We’ve still got plenty of big games coming up. Also for us, fixtures stacked up with having only played 15 league games 😩😩😩

teams are going to want to go into every game now to try and beat us which is going to make every game for us now till the end of the season extremely difficult ones. The boys know that and we’ve just got to be ready to compete with players further up in the pyramid. 🦊🖤🤍

2 hours ago, Foul Throw 3 said:

£10 is the transfer fee for the SWL, St Piran and ECPL so I can't see that going up. Western League is £20 with more hoops to jump through to get a transfer done. I think a 2 club per player rule is feasible, one club for Step 7 and below and another for Step 6 and up perhaps? I don't think that would be difficult to administrate either but I'm buzzing it won't be me doing it! 

We've got 114 signed on I think 🤣

i meant more clubs spending Cal as players will be moving several times i'm sure

2 hours ago, iand said:

Liams only reserves game all season, he needed game time as hadn’t played for a month. Coops was getting back to fitness played twice this season, Giler even had a game as missed a lot of time as was suspended. Surely that is the correct way for Blazey to use their players who are short of match time. 

fully agree how a club should operate. 

1 hour ago, St George said:

Not doubting Joe is a talent but he’s been involved in every Bodmin SWPL game since December so hardly needs ‘game time’ now. Scored recently against Nanpean and a hatrick against St Newlyn on Saturday - both when Bodmin didn’t have a game. 

The “one umbrella” model is a good thing imo. Know others will disagree. 

Dont Bodmin have a second team now?

Its like Wadebridge allowing their 1st team players to play for teams in the same division as their 2nd team, doesn't seem right to me

22 minutes ago, The Badger said:

Its like Wadebridge allowing their 1st team players to play for teams in the same division as their 2nd team, doesn't seem right to me

This is what I find strange, you have a side in that League that would benefit from the use of a club model. Instead, you have players playing elsewhere and potentially against your own Club.

6 hours ago, St George said:

3 hours ago, St George said:

Joe also scored a hat trick for St Blazeys U18 side the day after the St Newlyn East match

St blazey reserves side that played against SNE on Saturday was the Under 18s plus Ross wilcocks aged 36 and Dan Carr aged 26.. The under 18s played mousehole away on Sunday and won 14-0.. The majority of the under 18s squad have played together for 10 years with the same manager who is also st blazey reserves manager this season.. 

Good to get some column inches lads but would have liked for it to have been slightly more positive given the transition of the St Blazey ECPL team this year compared to last. 9 U18’s started on Saturday, 2 of those were actually 16 and in total, 3 or 4 more from that age group have cut their teeth in the ECPL with one or two having the odd bench experience in the SWPL. Their development has been great to see over the season as they were getting pumped early on and gradually they have started to give a more than adequate account of themselves, which is testament to Martyn Ratcliffe’s trust and persistence with the opportunities being offered. 

For years the St Blazey ECPL team has been a bit of a shambles so for any injury returning 1st XI player, it hasn’t really been an option until this year where the set up is now structured enough to invite them in when they need game time. We don’t do it to win specific fixtures as believe me when the lads have not had SWPL games, we could have played more from the 1’s to save us from getting hidings at the hands of Foxhole, St Columb & Torpoint early on but what would be to gain from that? North Petherwin were unfortunate to meet Liam Eddy on song in his one game in the ECPL and the same can be said when Cooper & Marks have played the odd midweek games against others. Look at the SWPL fixtures around Oct-Dec, the 1’s hardly played, so game time was required for some of them. 

Joe Munday plays for our U18’s too, please don’t forget that. 

I thought SNE were class in defeat at the weekend, all stayed for a drink and complimentary about project youth despite a surprising result. 

Shame about tonight, could have been a cracker with Looe. Probably couldn’t have called the result with the run they have been on. 

Great work from all the sides giving Youth a fair crack of the whip. There are some decent lads in the ECPL this year. 👍

2 hours ago, D K said:

Good to get some column inches lads but would have liked for it to have been slightly more positive given the transition of the St Blazey ECPL team this year compared to last. 9 U18’s started on Saturday, 2 of those were actually 16 and in total, 3 or 4 more from that age group have cut their teeth in the ECPL with one or two having the odd bench experience in the SWPL. Their development has been great to see over the season as they were getting pumped early on and gradually they have started to give a more than adequate account of themselves, which is testament to Martyn Ratcliffe’s trust and persistence with the opportunities being offered. 

For years the St Blazey ECPL team has been a bit of a shambles so for any injury returning 1st XI player, it hasn’t really been an option until this year where the set up is now structured enough to invite them in when they need game time. We don’t do it to win specific fixtures as believe me when the lads have not had SWPL games, we could have played more from the 1’s to save us from getting hidings at the hands of Foxhole, St Columb & Torpoint early on but what would be to gain from that? North Petherwin were unfortunate to meet Liam Eddy on song in his one game in the ECPL and the same can be said when Cooper & Marks have played the odd midweek games against others. Look at the SWPL fixtures around Oct-Dec, the 1’s hardly played, so game time was required for some of them. 

Joe Munday plays for our U18’s too, please don’t forget that. 

I thought SNE were class in defeat at the weekend, all stayed for a drink and complimentary about project youth despite a surprising result. 

Shame about tonight, could have been a cracker with Looe. Probably couldn’t have called the result with the run they have been on. 

Great work from all the sides giving Youth a fair crack of the whip. There are some decent lads in the ECPL this year. 👍

Love seeing my old club back where they belong. 👏

Torpoint Athletic 3 - 1 Wadebridge Res 

Torpoint goalscorers: Ryan Easterbrook x2, Byron Robbins.

Lineup: Jackson, Bark, Murray, Pearce, Burns, Cotter, Rowe, Brown, Easterbrook, Rio Driver, Cullerton.

Subs: Robbins, WhiteJ, Warren, Simmons, Halls.

A tricky night under the lights where we were initially quick out of the blocks, fell into a disappointing period but much improved in the 2nd half. 

Quite a good start from KO and moved the ball into some dangerous areas. On 8mins a superb through ball by Rowe found Easterbrook in behind whose first touch was perfectly into his stride to advance towards the box 1v1 with the keeper, but a chasing defender brought him down inside the box for an easy decision, penalty. Oddly no card shown. No malice in the tackle but a definite yellow for me. With our usual penalty takers off the pitch, Ryan stepped up himself and his effort was well read and saved by the impressive visiting keeper Jeal. Missed opportunity for an early lead. 

From then on quite frankly, we were poor. Defensively ok, squashed all attacks but in possession we lacked any quality all over the pitch. Forwards lacked decent service and when they did see the ball it didn't stick and came right back. Back four kept giving it away or making wrong decisions of when/where to move the ball and midfield was much of the same. On 25mins a routine back pass when under pressure from left back to keeper Jackson was mis controlled inside the 6yd box and ended up inside the back post with Harry scrambling to no avail for an avoidable OG. For the whole of the first half that was the only effort on goal against us so to concede it was both embarrassing and frustrating, but it happens. Get over it. But with a missed pen and OG already against us inside half an hour, it felt like other recent games where the world was against us and not something I stand for at the moment as you make your own luck. On 30mins I'd seen enough and with the only big voice on the pitch being our goalkeeper and no one making enough inroads to steering us in a more positive direction I made two rare early changes, with Robbins and WhiteJ on to inject some quality but most importantly leadership. Almost instant impact and the demands were reset all over. We moved the ball better bit by bit and chances began to come. Easterbrook had a fierce drive saved by Jeal and set pieces were a thorn in the away side with some good Robbins deliveries. A strong Murray header went close and the resultant pinball was somehow kept out. 0-1 HT but signs of promise.

HT wasn't exactly a positive event, but a pull your fingers out and it will come but not without some cajones. Thankfully, it was a much improved performance and a cliched game of two halves unfolded. Throughout the 2nd half Jackson only had one effort on target to keep out and in possession we were far more assured and confidence grew throughout. On 55mins Easterbrook was put through again, and fouled again. This time with a pull from behind and the referee rightly pointed to the spot. Robbins took our 2nd of the night and confidently fired it into the bottom corner. Keeper Jeal went the right way but there was too much power and accuracy in the spot kick. 1-1. 

5mins later and we had the lead. A huge punt downfield was deliberately aimed into Easterbrook's path and he advanced on goal and stuck it away. Big fantasy points for an assisting goalkeeper! 2-1 and in the ascendency. Before play continued we introduced the hard working Warren and the Torpoint Rolls Royce Rory Simmons who is simply a pleasure. Now in the lead you could feel the change in momentum, relief, confidence, etc etc and we were good to watch. More chances came and a strong effort from distance by Easterbrook smashed the post. Set pieces continued to threaten but no reward. Pearce was reintroduced as a striker (sick) but it paid off quite quickly. One of his first involvements, fed the ball into feet, a brief hold and lay off resulted in the 2nd forward pass neatly playing in gung ho full back Bark clean through on the right hand side. The lad ain't slow and had time and space to reach the byline and pick the correct square ball, and neatly teed up Easterbrook from 8yards who kept his finish low for 3-1. Before the restart we introduced Boyd Halls for his 6th sub appearance and by far the smallest player on the pitch showed his quality and continues to impress me despite his age. He's not going to get a nicer introduction to a 3rd team midfield than wedged between Robbins and Simmons. We continued to move the ball well and Easterbrook continued to be a threat hitting the post and a 1v1 superbly saved by the feet of Jeal. Late in the game Halls himself got himself on the left hand byline 1v1 with a defender and somehow bounced through the challenge and struck a powerful effort towards the top corner but it was whiskers away. Would've been talk of the playground today! Gutted for him as he and everyone else thought/hoped it would have gone in for him. 3-1 FT.

Another lesson in football to add to our recent diaries. First 30mins I'd like to erase from my memory but we simply must learn from these moments if we're to improve and pick up more results. But at least we reacted and improved quickly as it's not like flicking a switch. No disrespect to last night's visitors but we have a far bigger test coming up on Saturday vs St Newlyn East who sit in 2nd place. Looking forward to it though as outside the "big clubs" it's hands down the best pitch in the league! And finally a welcome return to the squad for WhiteS back from his shivery travels. Two comments on Wadebridge. Firstly, thank you to the linesman who was very honest and probably got a couple wrong in our favour which is unusual, and afterwards swept the away changing rooms too, much appreciated for both. And secondly the keeper Jeal. We didn't pepper him throughout the game but when called upon he made some top saves and according to Full Time rightly has man of the match by his manager. Probably an easy game to referee as there were no dirty tackles or backchat but a typical no nonsense approach by Alan. 

Good luck Wadebridge for the rest of their season.