Cornwall Football Forum

TWL Results 18th March 2023

• Dave Deacon changed the title to TWL Results 18th March 2023

Well today I witnessed something I've not seen in 48 years of watching football live or on TV.........the attacking team (Falmouth) having to twice defend the oppositions penalty spot from defending players determined to scuff it up.When the ball was then placed on the spot the Welton goalie calmly strolled forward and kicked the ball out of the area,quite rightly earning himself a yellow card in the process.Not to mention defenders continually refusing to leave the area.

Shenanigans weren't finished yet as after the goal was scored Welton players then prevented Tim Nixon from reaching his celebrating team-mates, this triggered a mass face off.

From the penalty being awarded to converted was the best part of 5 minutes,I don't normally moan about referees as their job is hard enough as it is, but surely this was a case for justifiably dishing out 4/5 yellow cards or even a couple of sin bins and then the game wouldn't have needed an additional 12 minutes before finishing.

Talking about the game Welton weren't a dirty team and could have had a couple of goals themselves,Town as well had another penalty turned down and on two occasions 2 v 1 with only the keeper to beat,but the pass wasn't made.On balance a fair result where a win had to be ground out,now on to the next game.

' Up The Town '

After an 8 goal thriller in midweek in was another thriller at the Playing Fields, with all 6 goals coming in a breathless second half. The first half was tight with one golden opportunity for each side. Mousehole's coming when Goldsworthy's header hit the post from about 6 yards out with the goal at his mercy. Shepton's chance came with the Mousehole back line all of the place and not for the only time failing to deal with a long ball but Gould running from midfield could only poke his shot wide.

Ten minutes into the second half Shepton took the lead as an in swinging corner was tapped in from point blank range at the back post with the Mousehole keeper glued to his line. Then with 20 minutes to go Mousehole won a free kick on the right hand side which looked as though it was overhit only for it to bounce of Easterbrook in the Shepton goal who seemed to lose it the the sun and Goldsworthy reacted first to level things up.

With a quarter of an hour to go Shepton restored their lead and it again came from a set piece as a free kick was headed back across goal giving Jenkins the simple task of finishing it off. Within in a few minutes though Mousehole were level as a sumptuous cross from Turner was bundled in at the back post.

Now Mousehole were in the ascendency and the constant pressure that Jake Ash and his plethora of coaching staff had put on the young ref all afternoon paid of when just as the game approached the 90 minute mark Calver (who in my opinion was wasted playing at left back) was adjudged to have been fouled by Sissions inside the area and Turner duly dispatched from the spot prompting jubilant scenes from the visitors.

You could been forgiven for thinking that would be the end of the scoring but in the 5th minute of added time Shepton were awarded a free kick on the edge of the penalty area. The free kick was fired into the wall, after a couple blocks the ball went wide and another cross into the box that Mousehole were unable to deal with was met by the diving head of player assistant manager Andy Martin to give Shepton a point that they thoroughly deserved and sparked jubilant scenes at the other end of the pitch. 
Some arguing from Mousehole players led to a sin binning for one of them from the ref who seconds after a Mousehole shot from kick off blew for full time which led to some rather unsavoury scenes on the pitch at the end of the match. 

I've been hugely impressed with Mousehole when I have seen them this season but yesterday they showed some of the same deficiencies I saw in them last season as defensively they struggled to deal with high balls over the top and into the box.

32 minutes ago, Dave Deacon said:

Is it automatically top two from Step 5 divisions or is the 'points per game' scenario playing a part somewhere or other?  

Automatically top two.

Based on current league tables either Saltash United or Mousehole are most likely to be promoted, with the other one of this pair most likely to play off against Willand Rovers (with either Cribbs or Malvern Town from the Hellenic likely to be promoted and/or play Bristol Manor Farm in the other play off involving the Southern League Division One South). 

12 minutes ago, GaryHocking said:

Automatically top two.

Based on current league tables either Saltash United or Mousehole are most likely to be promoted, with the other one of this pair most likely to play off against Willand Rovers (with either Cribbs or Malvern Town from the Hellenic likely to be promoted and/or play Bristol Manor Farm in the other play off involving the Southern League Division One South). 

So it's not automatically top 2 then 👀

1 hour ago, GaryHocking said:

Automatically top two.

You are contradicting yourself. If it’s automatic top 2 that get promoted, why do you say 1 of them would have to be involved in a play off?

18 minutes ago, GaryHocking said:

This season it’s automatically the top two that get selected for the confirmed and potential promotion slots rather than as per  last season there also being a dependency on PPG. 

So what you're saying is the top placed club has automatic promotion, but whoever finishes second has to go in to a play-off game.

Promotion and Relegation Guidelines – 2022/23 

The FA have announced the Promotion and Relegations Guidelines for Season 2022/23.

Step 4 and Step 5

The Clubs finishing in the bottom two places in each of the eight divisions at Step 4 at the end of the Regular Season will be relegated and placed in a feeder pool and placed in the most geographically appropriate division at Step 5 for the following Playing Season.

They will be replaced by the Clubs finishing in 1st position in each of the sixteen divisions at Step 5.

The Clubs finishing in third and fourth from bottom in each of the eight divisions at Step 4 at the end of the Regular Season will take part in Inter-Step Play-Off Matches against the Clubs finishing in 2nd position in each of the sixteen divisions at Step 5 to determine whether they remain at Step 4 or are relegated to Step 5 for the following Playing Season.

Inter-Step Play Off Matches:

Each Club at Step 4 which finishes the Regular Season in an Inter-Step Play Off Position will be drawn at home against a Club from Step 5 which finishes the Regular Season in an Inter-Step Play Off Position.

Ties will be a one-off match with the winner being allocated to Step 4 for the following Playing Season and the defeated Club being allocated to Step 5 for the following Playing Season. The Clubs allocated to Step 4 will be placed in a feeder pool and placed in the most geographically appropriate division at Step 4 for the following Playing Season.

Torpoint Athletic 3-1 Wellington

Toolstation Western League, Premier Division

With Robbie Morris at The Mill

Torpoint Athletic came back from being one goal down at half time to put in another fine second half performance to take the victory at The Mill, including goal of the season contender from striker Curtis Damerell.

In the first 25 minutes of the match, both sides had some half chances as they were both testing out each other’s defences.

On the 27th minute the visitors took the lead when Nathan Byrne sent over a cross into the area from the left to find Miles Quick to heading home a diving powerful header at the far post from 6 yards.

With four minutes remaining of the first half the visitors were looking to double their lead, when good build up play found Eli Collins to blast his effort from 8 yards, but home keeper Jason Peters makes a fine save.

At half time, the home side made a couple of changes, which was to be instrumental right from the restart, bringing on Gary Hird and Dom Murray.    

On the 56th minute the home side were back on level terms when Gary Hird ran down the left and cut into the area, he broke the visitor’s offside trap and blasted home from 18 yards.

Ten minutes later, Torpoint took the lead when Ryan Richards broke through the visitors defence into the area and blasted home from 10 yards.

On the 68th minute, Torpoint doubled their advantage when Curtis Damerell saw visiting keeper Harley Wilkinson off his line. Damerell sublimely lobbed the keeper from 40 yards with the ball not touching the ground until it crossed the goal line!

With 15 minutes remaining, the hosts were looking to extend their lead further when good build up play by the midfield found Richards to blast his effort low from 15 yards which as well saved by Wilkinson.

It got worse for visitors as they were reduced to ten men in for the final six minutes as Jason Quick was sin binned.

Torpoint Athletic: J. Peters, J. Forrest (G. Hird 45), D. Hicks, J. Smith, S. Hillson, E. Crawford, C. Thompson, L. Pacey (D. Murray 45), C. Damerell, L. Pacey, R. Richards, P. Heveran.

Subs not Used:                  C. Holder, N. Maund,  M. Lucas

Bookings:                             P. Heveran 65, G. Hird 78.

Torpoint Scorers:             G. Hird 56, R. Richard 66, C. Damerell 68.

Wellington: H. Wilkenson, M. Quick, J. Quick, J. Bown-Porter (T. Burt 75), T. Stone, G. Wright, E. Collins, N. Byrne, J. Quick, J. Nicholson (S. McKenna 61), Z. Collins.

Subs not used:                  R. Brereton, S. Phillips, A. Cherry.

Sin Bin:                                 J. Quick 84

Bookings:                            N. Byrne 88

Wellington Scorer:          M. Quick 27.

Referee:                          W. Annear (Bodmin)

Att:                                         127

MOM:                              Jake Smith (Torpoint Athletic)

19 hours ago, SON OF LINEKER said:

Well today I witnessed something I've not seen in 48 years of watching football live or on TV.........the attacking team (Falmouth) having to twice defend the oppositions penalty spot from defending players determined to scuff it up.

Oh well,who'd have thought it !  Just seen this happen at Old Trafford,(twice in 25 hrs)what are the odds ?!

You couldn't make it up.

' Up The Town '

8 hours ago, mockey jackson said:

Mouseholes to throw away now. Can see them scraping over the line. If saltash win the next two will mousehole bottle it like previous years. Jake ash job surely on the line. Lucky for him top two go up but still wouldn’t be good enough considering the resources they have in my opinion 

They’ll win it as Saltash don’t want promotion surely ! Be interesting to see Saltash win it though !! What will happen ??

9 hours ago, mockey jackson said:

Mouseholes to throw away now. Can see them scraping over the line. If saltash win the next two will mousehole bottle it like previous years. Jake ash job surely on the line. Lucky for him top two go up but still wouldn’t be good enough considering the resources they have in my opinion 

Jake Ash’s job under threat? Oh yeah they have only won 14 drew 1 of the last 15!! Terrible form the Mousehole fans must be fuming!!🤣🤣🤣🤣

11 hours ago, mockey jackson said:

er? 2 years ago we got promoted and last year we narrowly missed out on back to back promotions..... why on earth would we want to get rid of jake ash?

you do realise the club isnt bankrolled by a wealthy benefactor like some other clubs in this league and is run sustainably?

On 18/03/2023 at 22:30, SON OF LINEKER said:

Well today I witnessed something I've not seen in 48 years of watching football live or on TV.........the attacking team (Falmouth) having to twice defend the oppositions penalty spot from defending players determined to scuff it up.When the ball was then placed on the spot the Welton goalie calmly strolled forward and kicked the ball out of the area,quite rightly earning himself a yellow card in the process.Not to mention defenders continually refusing to leave the area.

Shenanigans weren't finished yet as after the goal was scored Welton players then prevented Tim Nixon from reaching his celebrating team-mates, this triggered a mass face off.

From the penalty being awarded to converted was the best part of 5 minutes,I don't normally moan about referees as their job is hard enough as it is, but surely this was a case for justifiably dishing out 4/5 yellow cards or even a couple of sin bins and then the game wouldn't have needed an additional 12 minutes before finishing.

Talking about the game Welton weren't a dirty team and could have had a couple of goals themselves,Town as well had another penalty turned down and on two occasions 2 v 1 with only the keeper to beat,but the pass wasn't made.On balance a fair result where a win had to be ground out,now on to the next game.

' Up The Town '

Spot on

A welcome 3 points for Town against an in form and competitive Weston team. Should have been more than one penalty as well!!

Great to see MOM Luke Brabyn back with 2 goals plus another clean sheet for the defence.

Reserve keeper Zach Telling impressed again particularly like his higher starting  positions.  Two very good saves at important times on Saturday.

The younger players are also getting better and more experienced as the season goes on. 
UTMT

21 hours ago, SomersetObserver said:

After an 8 goal thriller in midweek in was another thriller at the Playing Fields, with all 6 goals coming in a breathless second half. The first half was tight with one golden opportunity for each side. Mousehole's coming when Goldsworthy's header hit the post from about 6 yards out with the goal at his mercy. Shepton's chance came with the Mousehole back line all of the place and not for the only time failing to deal with a long ball but Gould running from midfield could only poke his shot wide.

Ten minutes into the second half Shepton took the lead as an in swinging corner was tapped in from point blank range at the back post with the Mousehole keeper glued to his line. Then with 20 minutes to go Mousehole won a free kick on the right hand side which looked as though it was overhit only for it to bounce of Easterbrook in the Shepton goal who seemed to lose it the the sun and Goldsworthy reacted first to level things up.

With a quarter of an hour to go Shepton restored their lead and it again came from a set piece as a free kick was headed back across goal giving Jenkins the simple task of finishing it off. Within in a few minutes though Mousehole were level as a sumptuous cross from Turner was bundled in at the back post.

Now Mousehole were in the ascendency and the constant pressure that Jake Ash and his plethora of coaching staff had put on the young ref all afternoon paid of when just as the game approached the 90 minute mark Calver (who in my opinion was wasted playing at left back) was adjudged to have been fouled by Sissions inside the area and Turner duly dispatched from the spot prompting jubilant scenes from the visitors.

You could been forgiven for thinking that would be the end of the scoring but in the 5th minute of added time Shepton were awarded a free kick on the edge of the penalty area. The free kick was fired into the wall, after a couple blocks the ball went wide and another cross into the box that Mousehole were unable to deal with was met by the diving head of player assistant manager Andy Martin to give Shepton a point that they thoroughly deserved and sparked jubilant scenes at the other end of the pitch. 
Some arguing from Mousehole players led to a sin binning for one of them from the ref who seconds after a Mousehole shot from kick off blew for full time which led to some rather unsavoury scenes on the pitch at the end of the match. 

I've been hugely impressed with Mousehole when I have seen them this season but yesterday they showed some of the same deficiencies I saw in them last season as defensively they struggled to deal with high balls over the top and into the box.

Mousehole **** off the referee. Referee takes revenge. Love that

2 hours ago, BrummyBarry said:

Mousehole **** off the referee. Referee takes revenge. Love that

They were like it all afternoon whinging and moaning. How Jake Ash or one of his many coaches on the Mousehole bench didn't get booked was quite incredible from practically the first minute they were trying the pressure the young ref. Then at half time as the ref was walking off the pitch Ash marched towards him from the Mousehole bench to have words & again at full time Ash was remonstrating with him in the centre circle when he should have been more concerned with getting control of his own players a couple of whom had completely lost their heads.

I like a lot of what I have seen of Mousehole the last couple of seasons in the Western League but I thought that their antics overstepped the mark on Saturday and let themselves down but perhaps that is just the pressure of a title race.

32 minutes ago, SomersetObserver said:

They were like it all afternoon whinging and moaning. How Jake Ash or one of his many coaches on the Mousehole bench didn't get booked was quite incredible from practically the first minute they were trying the pressure the young ref. Then at half time as the ref was walking off the pitch Ash marched towards him from the Mousehole bench to have words & again at full time Ash was remonstrating with him in the centre circle when he should have been more concerned with getting control of his own players a couple of whom had completely lost their heads.

I like a lot of what I have seen of Mousehole the last couple of seasons in the Western League but I thought that their antics overstepped the mark on Saturday and let themselves down but perhaps that is just the pressure of a title race.

For you referee experts on here - is this a case where there should be more use made of the cards?

15 minutes ago, Dave Deacon said:

For you referee experts on here - is this a case where there should be more use made of the cards?

Certainly shouldn't be entertaining Mr Ash on the pitch at half time or full time. 

Yes sin bins aren't being utilised as much as they should but this comes back to the club marks having an impact on referee promotion/devotions. Whilst observer marks are the more heavily weighted consideration, referees do still have to consider their club marks or risk missing out on a promotion or facing demotion.

There needs to be an effort from the clubs to mark referees fairly without focusing on individual decisions and to challenge the behaviour of their players & coaching staff.

If the FA were to abolish th3 club marks system them I'm certain you'd see more action taken on the day to address these issues. This would then in turn force clubs to improve their behaviour.

Unlikely to change anytime soon though!

There were 40 or so “Cornwall observers” at the game who might take issue with Somerset observer’s view of events. The referee handed out four yellows plus a sin bin so wasn’t shy with his cards, but at no point in 90+6 minutes did he seem to regard anything said by either bench as worth even a chat. 

On 18/03/2023 at 22:30, SON OF LINEKER said:

' Up The Town '

Really strange game & couldn't believe the antics of some welton players. Ref needed to be stronger and credit to falmouth getting the job done.

57 minutes ago, Dave Deacon said:

Fine balance. 

A referee uses more cards then he is criticised for not talking to and managing players. 

Don't use them and you're too lenient, let too much to, should have handed more out. 

In respect of technical area behaviour, I am sure the club secretaries among us will back this up but just before Christmas the FA emailed all clubs reminding them of their responsibilities around behaviour in the technical area. 

To referees it was a clear message to deal with it.

46 minutes ago, GaryHocking said:

There were 40 or so “Cornwall observers” at the game who might take issue with Somerset observer’s view of events. The referee handed out four yellows plus a sin bin so wasn’t shy with his cards, but at no point in 90+6 minutes did he seem to regard anything said by either bench as worth even a chat. 

What part do you take issue with? I mean just for starters Jake Ash marching on the the pitch at half time to complain to the ref should be a booking, do you not agree?

Mousehole should have been thanking the ref at half time because if he wanted to apply the laws of the game exactly he would have sent the Mousehole number 10 off who was already on a booking when re-entered the field of play without permission and interfered with the game. Thankfully though the ref used common sense and just gave the free kick rather than spoiling the game for what was an honest mistake.

16 minutes ago, Dave Deacon said:

How do we know what was said?

Given he spent most of the first half (and second for that matter) shouting at the ref that he was to quote him 'killing us' I think we can take a guess that he wasn't going up to him to praise him. But regardless of what was said you shouldn't be approaching the ref on the field of play at half time, there is no need for it.

2 hours ago, SomersetObserver said:

What part do you take issue with? I mean just for starters Jake Ash marching on the the pitch at half time to complain to the ref should be a booking, do you not agree?

I completely disagree. 

If I translate your version of events into law then

"entering the field of play to:
• confront a match official (including at half-time and full-time)"

Is a red card offence for team officials so a a "booking" would be wrong in law.

27 minutes ago, TheOpinionoftheReferee said:

I completely disagree. 

If I translate your version of events into law then

"entering the field of play to:
• confront a match official (including at half-time and full-time)"

Is a red card offence for team officials so a a "booking" would be wrong in law.

In this case there was no need for a red card there wasn't any aggression towards the ref & a yellow card from the ref would have been sufficient. I don't doubt by the letter of the law it is a red card but sometimes the letter of the law is an ass and just a bit of common sense refereeing is much better. For example Mousehole go 3-2 up in stoppage time and the whole benched charged down the touchline to celebrate (it was the same when Shepton equalised although with considerably less staff to run down the touch line) now you could probably have dished multiple cards here if you applied the letter of the law but none were shown as the ref used a good bit of common sense. 

Another example of good common sense refereeing in the game was when the Mousehole number 10 who was already on a booking re-entered the field of play without permission and touched the ball. Thankfully though the ref used common sense and just gave the free kick rather than spoiling the game for what was an honest mistake.

11 minutes ago, SomersetObserver said:

Thankfully though the ref used common sense and just gave the free kick rather than spoiling the game for what was an honest mistake.

This really irks me. 

The referee would not have been responsible for 'spoiling' the game had he applied the law. The player would have been at fault. 

Mousehole clearly have ambitions to be playing step 4 football next season and should know better than this. They do know better than this.

Yet the perception is that the referee is the one to blame and is the one ruining the game.

22 minutes ago, SomersetObserver said:

Another example of good common sense refereeing in the game was when the Mousehole number 10 who was already on a booking re-entered the field of play without permission and touched the ball. Thankfully though the ref used common sense and just gave the free kick rather than spoiling the game for what was an honest mistake.

It's common sense, until the opposition do it, except this time it isn't a mistake, and the referee has to deal with it.

1 minute ago, FootballChat said:

This really irks me. 

The referee would not have been responsible for 'spoiling' the game had he applied the law. The player would have been at fault. 

Mousehole clearly have ambitions to be playing step 4 football next season and should know better than this. They do know better than this.

Yet the perception is that the referee is the one to blame and is the one ruining the game.

I don't think that the ref would have been to blame for spoiling the game if he sent him off he would have just been applying the laws of the game. But this was an honest mistake as Mousehole had a freekick and the taker passed the ball to his teammate (thinking he was on the pitch) but he had had to leave the pitch after getting treatment & just instinctively stopped the ball on the touchline but before it had completely gone out. 

I wouldn't have criticised the ref either way if he did give him a second yellow he is simply sticking to the letter of the law but if he does what he did then he is just using a bit of common sense of which there is not enough of in football today especially with VAR.

7 hours ago, SomersetObserver said:

getting control of his own players a couple of whom had completely lost their heads.

To be fair, I think I'd have lost my head too, you're a better person than us if you can say you would have been completely okay if you had been in their position 😂 

Not condoning any behaviour, although emotions run high when you're in that situation I'd imagine. 

14 minutes ago, Emily91 said:

To be fair, I think I'd have lost my head too, you're a better person than us if you can say you would have been completely okay if you had been in their position 😂 

Not condoning any behaviour, although emotions run high when you're in that situation I'd imagine. 

Of course things like that can happen when you are in a title race, especially when you lose 2 points right at the death although I'm not sure what they were so aggrieved about  as there didn't appear to me at least to be anything wrong with the equalising goal.

But regardless  the last thing you want when in a title race is someone getting sent off after the final whistle and being suspended for matches during the run in. Just look at Bridgwater ill discipline has brought their season crashing down.

13 minutes ago, SomersetObserver said:

Of course things like that can happen when you are in a title race, especially when you lose 2 points right at the death although I'm not sure what they were so aggrieved about  as there didn't appear to me at least to be anything wrong with the equalising goal.

But regardless  the last thing you want when in a title race is someone getting sent off after the final whistle and being suspended for matches during the run in. Just look at Bridgwater ill discipline has brought their season crashing down.

They were probably just peaved and upset to concede the 3rd goal?