Cornwall Football Forum

Clive Rosevear Insurance League Cup Semi finals Saturday 18th March.

St Stephen 1 (Oldham pen 57) Foxhole 6 (Bidgood 8, 65, Peers 12, Couch 44, Beresford 47, Rowe 58) 

Foxhole (4-3-3): James Prynn; Tim Peers, Luke Damerell, Angel Coates, Lee Rickard; Jake Couch, Aaron Beresford, Aidan Dingle; Courtney Rowe, Benno Bould, Cameron Bidgood. Subs: Levi Kerrigan, Charlie Prynn, Jowan Dingle. 

St Stephen (4-3-3): Andrew Julian; Sam Truscott, Hayden Doherty, Saul Niles, Kieran Ralph; Stuart Kesson-Smith, Brad Lowe, Tom Rowland; Connor Jago, Callum Oldham, Josh Davis. Subs: Orlando Bray, Jack Harvey.

Well played the super Foxes. Good luck to St Stephen. Many thanks to Leigh Michael and Ian Trevenna.

Report to follow....

Major 1-2 Torpoint 

Torpoint got an early lead for after a through ball and good finish from a 1v1 with the keeper. Major were level shortly after with a goal from Matt Laithwaite after lobbing the indecisive onrushing keeper after being put through a high Torpoint back line. 

Point were soon back in the lead after a looped free kick found the young full back to bravely head home at the back post. 

Major pushed for an equaliser in the first half but Torpoint stood firm till the half time break. 

Second half Major came out quickly and Tom Howes causing problems breaking from the back. Major continued to dominate the half as it took Torpoint 15 mins to get out if their own half. 

Major had the ball in the net but the goal was disallowed for holding from a set piece. The home side continued to have much of the play but not too many clear chances. 

Torpoint were resolute and defended solidly and seen out the remainder of the half to secure their place in the final. 

Well reffed by Gary Cornish and good luck to Torpoint and Callum in the final.

Great win for the boys today on a touch and go pitch (anymore rain and it was off) Bit of justice over the last 2 games against eachother I’d say, Defended well for 90mins from sustained pressure, no clear cut chances for st col which is a credit to us. All said and done they’re a good team and will take points off anyone, especially at home. Think football is the winner with the two finalists being the best footballing sides in the league against eachother. Looking forward to the game on the 9th which is sure to be an absolute cracker. Really well refereed by GC. 

20 minutes ago, Byron10 said:

Great win for the boys today on a touch and go pitch (anymore rain and it was off) Bit of justice over the last 2 games against eachother I’d say, Defended well for 90mins from sustained pressure, no clear cut chances for st col which is a credit to us. All said and done they’re a good team and will take points off anyone, especially at home. Think football is the winner with the two finalists being the best footballing sides in the league against eachother. Looking forward to the game on the 9th which is sure to be an absolute cracker. Really well refereed by GC. 

Christ, I thought you went missing mate 😂 in all seriousness, congratulations 👍

24 minutes ago, Byron10 said:

Ones out the woodwork when they win 😂😂😂🎣🎣🎣🏹

4 hours ago, TomTom said:

Major 1-2 Torpoint 

Torpoint got an early lead for after a through ball and good finish from a 1v1 with the keeper. Major were level shortly after with a goal from Matt Laithwaite after lobbing the indecisive onrushing keeper after being put through a high Torpoint back line. 

Point were soon back in the lead after a looped free kick found the young full back to bravely head home at the back post. 

Major pushed for an equaliser in the first half but Torpoint stood firm till the half time break. 

Second half Major came out quickly and Tom Howes causing problems breaking from the back. Major continued to dominate the half as it took Torpoint 15 mins to get out if their own half. 

Major had the ball in the net but the goal was disallowed for holding from a set piece. The home side continued to have much of the play but not too many clear chances. 

Torpoint were resolute and defended solidly and seen out the remainder of the half to secure their place in the final. 

Well reffed by Gary Cornish and good luck to Torpoint and Callum in the final.

Never would I ever think I would see me meht Matty gump laithwaite on the score sheet! Must have had a blood rush to the head 😂 

looking forward to the final but in all seriousness, keep the petty comments to your social media. Congratulate and move on boys 👍 ️ 

2 hours ago, Byron10 said:

Nice to see you’re still shite at predictions 😂😂😂🎣🎣🎣🏹

Be honest tho bud over three games agg score we tore you apart 🤣

Foxhole win the final 7-1

We’ll put the disallowed goal up in a min I don’t want to because my love for mr cornish but my god it’s soft 

we had a striker in goal you scored two in 15 mins after that didn’t even get near the goal 😂😂 good luck in the final you’ll need it the massive treble winners of last year beat the mighty st columb once in three this year 👌

4 minutes ago, Hawks91 said:

Be honest tho bud over three games agg score we tore you apart 🤣

Foxhole win the final 7-1

We’ll put the disallowed goal up in a min I don’t want to because my love for mr cornish but my god it’s soft 

we had a striker in goal you scored two in 15 mins after that didn’t even get near the goal 😂😂 good luck in the final you’ll need it the massive treble winners of last year beat the mighty st columb once in three this year 👌

If you can’t get a proper goal keeper in for a semi final then do you really deserve to be in the final? What does that say about you as a club😂 6 points out of 6 in the league to you and fair play goals win you games, we couldn’t outscore you and That’s literally been the difference in the 2 games prior to today not the performances. The disallowed goal was a foul every day of the week twice on a Sunday and you know it.

10 minutes ago, TomTom said:

If I had a mouth like Byron I'd make sure my footballing ability backed it up rather than setting up continuous custard pies for myself.

Poor Callum must cringe when he posts.

😴😴 off back into my hole now anyway. A lot of upset people tonight by the looks of it 👎 comes with being the champions I suppose. 

2 hours ago, Santini11 said:

Never would I ever think I would see me meht Matty gump laithwaite on the score sheet! Must have had a blood rush to the head 😂 

looking forward to the final but in all seriousness, keep the petty comments to your social media. Congratulate and move on boys 👍 ️ 

He did admit to it being a miss hit 😂😂

Aggregate scores don’t count apparently Jesus 😂 well done to Callum he’s a superstar in the grassroots game and people don’t realise it all the best bud I’ll be annoying you next year too 🤣🍺

13 hours ago, Byron10 said:

Can’t really say your a great footballing side you taken 0 points from us 

1 from north petherwin

and 0 from foxhole 

if that’s great then im

in the wrong sport bud 

League Cup Semi Final

St Columb Major 1 - 2 Torpoint Ath

Torpoint goalscorers: Josh Payn, Will Burns

Lineup: Jackson, Bark, WhiteJ, Pearce, Burns, Robbins, Rowe, Brown, Payn, Easterbrook, Rio Driver.

Subs: Cotter, Warren. Unused: Bays, Hussey.

Relief really. On a 4 game winless streak in the league we headed into yesterday's battle not as low on confidence as you'd think. Last week's loss against the same side taught us a few lessons which will be invaluable for the futures of our young side. And we did enough last week to win most games of football which buoyed us yesterday, though it was StC who will be left feeling unrewarded for their efforts.

A bright sunny afternoon, despite the opposite weather for a few days prior, left the pitch soggy in places and untreated which is the norm at all levels with the weather we've had, which made for a tricky game. But we started the brighter and scored with the first chance of the game. Only 3mins in a low pass into Rio Driver whose first touch brought him back infield drew out a defender, a very slick piece of technique moved himself and the ball past the evading tackle and then reversed a pass into Payn's diagonal run into the box who finished low under the onrushing keeper. 0-1.

But the lead didn't last for long as minutes later the home side equalised. A very high line allowed Laithwaite acres to run in behind and drive forward hitting a strong effort at goal. Jackson got hands to it but wasn't enough to divert the ball enough and it went in. I think Laithwaite was miles offside, but this lino error was matched when in another StC attack Craig Allen skipped past Jake White and drove at goal from the left hand side but was wrongly flagged offside. 2 mistakes from a young substitute with the flag which balanced out. No need for any of the negativity in his direction from either side.

The level score didn't last long either. A corner from Robbins on the left hand side on 12mins was swung inside the back post and with 3 StC defenders favourites to clear, Burns was bravest and won the header for 2-1. Another set piece goal for the angry teen. A side note on his performance yesterday, filling in at left back for the injured Hussey I thought he was excellent. The right level of aggression, loves to head and tackle and is a real throwback. An easy player to select every week. 

From then on there were no more goals for 80+minutes. The next best chance of the half for us was a great pass into Rio Driver who smartly stalled his momentum, which created a gap between the defender's legs and his low shot was just wide. But great forward play to create the shot and was unlucky. Another young player who is improving all the time with each game. StC should've had an equaliser with a great chance themselves. Craig Allen a frustrated figure yesterday raced through on goal, took an age to make up his mind and I think the long grass at that end disrupted his flow too much and couldn't dig out a meaningful effort which was straight at the grateful Jackson. Bit of an end to end half gave us a 1-2 HT lead.

The 2nd half was all StC. We had a 1 goal lead last week which we fumbled so HT was about what we could improve on, but most importantly to dig in and not let it happen again. StC on the the other hand would've thought we could be got at. Straight out the blocks at the restart, Tom Howes drove out of defence, made a lovely 1-2 in midfield and from 18yards let fly a rasping left foot drive to Jackson's left which he just about got his fingertips to to divert for a corner. Early wake up call. I think this was their best chance all half, but the pressure itself was all from them and we did well to limit what I'd consider to be good scoring chances. Their biggest threat time and again was set pieces of which they had plenty. Jackson was strong in claiming some, picked up a couple of pressure relieving fouls, and the likes of Pearce, White and co did well to defend our lead. StC did have an equaliser but referee Gary Cornish disallowed it without hesitation for a foul by the scorer Howes. We literally created nothing going forward which was a worry but we looked resolute. Brown in midfield was winning tackles and the ball fell to him fortuitously from these duels which helped him break up play. With only 2 fit subs we did roll on/off to give fresh legs and deserved breathers. Rowe in particular was blowing out of his *** from overworking and his 10min rest allowed him to rejuvenate and and was excellent when he re-entered. Payn, Easterbrook, Warren and Rio Driver fed on scraps all half but as a team we dug in and held out to progress to the Cup Final.

A flip reversal of last week's game where we were the dominant losers, StC will feel hard done by yesterday but I said the same last week, football is often cruel. But it quite often balances out! Funny old game ain't it. A word for no nonsense referee Cornish, dealt with all our moaners and whiners well and as usual had a smile on his face. Always good to see.

Good luck to St Columb Major for the rest of their season and I dread seeing you again! 

2 hours ago, Hawks91 said:

Can’t really say your a great footballing side you taken 0 points from us 

1 from north petherwin

and 0 from foxhole 

if that’s great then im

in the wrong sport bud 

How can a treble winning team not be considered good footballing side?😂 

and your own words last week stated “they battered us” you don’t make sense. 

1 hour ago, Byron10 said:

How can a treble winning team not be considered good footballing side?😂 

and your own words last week stated “they battered us” you don’t make sense. 

Well done for last year mate really helping you this year 😩 you have been beat by all three sides that got promoted showing how dominant your football is 😂

42 minutes ago, Hawks91 said:

Well done for last year mate really helping you this year 😩 you have been beat by all three sides that got promoted showing how dominant your football is 😂

Really helping us this year? We’re in another final you spanner 😂 beat north peth 5-1 and you 1-2 on the way🤦‍♂️ had the hardest route out of the two finalists aswell? your season is now over, deal with it. 

22 hours ago, Byron10 said:

If you can’t get a proper goal keeper in for a semi final then do you really deserve to be in the final? What does that say about you as a club😂 6 points out of 6 in the league to you and fair play goals win you games, we couldn’t outscore you and That’s literally been the difference in the 2 games prior to today not the performances. The disallowed goal was a foul every day of the week twice on a Sunday and you know it.

Its probably because the league didnt allow them to Byron, just like when we (North P) came to you in October in the q/f, the league wouldn't give us permission to play a keeper with less than 3 appearances despite both 1st team and 2nd team keepers being out injured. so we also had an outfield player in goal and something you boys were well aware of before KO

Congratulations to both Torpoint and Foxhole, should be a good final!

30 minutes ago, The Badger said:

Its probably because the league didnt allow them to Byron, just like when we (North P) came to you in October in the q/f, the league wouldn't give us permission to play a keeper with less than 3 appearances despite both 1st team and 2nd team keepers being out injured. so we also had an outfield player in goal and something you boys were well aware of before KO

Congratulations to both Torpoint and Foxhole, should be a good final!

Very unfortunate circumstances! I’ve heard good things from bays about your ground improvements! Haven’t played you for a few years now so looking forward to next season when you get promoted! All the best with your remaining games.