Jump to content
Cornwall Football Forum

Helston v Saltash - Senior Cup semi


Dave Deacon

Recommended Posts

Helston 4 saltash 0

poor performance from saltash. Not helped by a very poorly missed penalty and a stupid red card they never tested the helston keeper or the defence. Helston who had the luxury of resting Aaron Bentley who’s probably their best Centre back. apart from aimlessly pumping the ball into the wind they offered very little and looked vulnerable defensively all night

hard to play free flowing football on such a bumpy pitch so both sides played the longer game 

Helston looked good on the break defensively sound and with a commanding keeper they took their chances when they had the opportunity worthy winners in the end 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Saltash definitely the better for the first 20 minutes but did not create any real chances. They seemed to cope better with the bobbly surface. Helston scored against the run of play with a great finish and saw the rest of the half. Second half was a completely different affair and Helston were quicker to the ball and more attack minded wheresas Saltash lost their way. The second goal seemed to kill the game off and the red card came about thru a player’s stupidity- no need to raise your hands!! Helston then scored two more after the worst penalty attempt I’ve ever seen and Saltash ran out of ideas. Poor crowd numbers for a semi. Rumours that final will be at Blazey so let’s hope if Wendron make it thru then the suits will have a rethink. Good luck to Wendron this evening. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Fantastic win for Helston last night and I was surprised when I was following Dave's updated on Twitter, could seem that the missed penalty at 2-0 could've been decisive then coupled with the red card shortly after. Was the red justified in your opinion @Dave Deacon? Looking through the FT stats, Wilson has picked up 14 bookings in 26 games this season.

Selfishly for me it'd be good to see the final at St Blazey, not as far to travel... 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

It would be a travesty if a Wendron v. Helston final was not at Falmouth.  I am sure Falmouth accept that they don't get finals due to geography, but if these two clubs meet, and Falmouth did not get the game, given how great the old ground is for spectating, there would have to be questions asked of the CCFA.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, L.Gibbons said:

Fantastic win for Helston last night and I was surprised when I was following Dave's updated on Twitter, could seem that the missed penalty at 2-0 could've been decisive then coupled with the red card shortly after. Was the red justified in your opinion @Dave Deacon? Looking through the FT stats, Wilson has picked up 14 bookings in 26 games this season.

Selfishly for me it'd be good to see the final at St Blazey, not as far to travel... 

Let's deal first with Henry's dismissal for a second yellow. From where I was it looked a bit harsh, handbags sort of thing, but as we all know you can't push opponents over and right under the ref's nose too! I'm not absolutely sure but I think Jamie Simmonds was also shown a yellow for his involvement.

However, I don't think the dismissal altered the outcome. By that time Helston were two up, Saltash had already seen a penalty saved and the tie was going Helston's way. Deservedly too really. Harrison Davis had a great effort tipped over by Mike Searle in the first half, but otherwise the Helston back line prevented too many other opportunities.

With regards to the venue for the final, thankfully the County have held off officially announcing anything until after the two semis as depending on who goes through could mean a vast difference of opinion as far as being convenient to the two finalists. I can understand the two clubs wanting it to be convenient to their two sets of supporters, however its a county cup and therefore the whole of Cornwall might want to be present at the county's most prestigious cup final as well.

St Blazey or Sticker possible perhaps, but get ready for the outcry be it a Helston v Wendron final!  😀

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, The Town Man said:

It would be a travesty if a Wendron v. Helston final was not at Falmouth.  I am sure Falmouth accept that they don't get finals due to geography, but if these two clubs meet, and Falmouth did not get the game, given how great the old ground is for spectating, there would have to be questions asked of the CCFA.

Have any improvements been made yet?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Dave Deacon said:

With regards to the venue for the final, thankfully the County have held off officially announcing anything until after the two semis as depending on who goes through could mean a vast difference of opinion as far as being convenient to the two finalists. I can understand the two clubs wanting it to be convenient to their two sets of supporters, however its a county cup and therefore the whole of Cornwall might want to be present at the county's most prestigious cup final as well.

St Blazey or Sticker possible perhaps, but get ready for the outcry be it a Helston v Wendron final!  😀

Hmmm.  I wonder how many neutral supporters bother to pitch up for a Senior Cup final.  Surely their numbers would not be big enough to put their travelling considerations before two sets of dedicated supporters!

1 minute ago, silly billy said:

Have any improvements been made yet?

The menu has changed in the Tea Hut!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, The Town Man said:

Hmmm.  I wonder how many neutral supporters bother to pitch up for a Senior Cup final.  Surely their numbers would not be big enough to put their travelling considerations before two sets of dedicated supporters!

Actually in some cases - you might ask the same question as to how many supporters of the two clubs involved there might be! 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Back up and running after what happened Saturday was waching the film Banshees of Inisherin with a friend i went to make a cup of Coffee when she shouted out the laptop was on fire and it was flames bit of a scare good job it didnt catch fire when i was out watching the footy anyway here i am back again with another Laptop .

Last nights match i thought Saltash would of walked all over Helston but Saltash never really turned up and Helston dominated the match i thought Steve Colwell and Matty Bye where superb and dominated the midfield ,the 2 ex Millbrook strikers Rikki Shepherd and Tom Payne have a brilliant understanding and caused the Saltash defence endless problems all evening .

Steve Colwell opened the scoring with a brilliant then it was the 2 ex Millbrook players Shepherd and Payne and Rubin Wilson came

on briefly and scored the 4th and also got sent off .

The pitch wasnt good and Helston goalie Searle went down when catching his foot in a rut but he was ok to continue and saving Saltashes weak penalty.

Saltash brought on my fav player Adam Carter in place of Mike Smith but it made no difference the brilliant Helston defence of Storey , Bentley and Harrison defended like there lives depended on it they where so good the whole Helston team was .

I thought the ref did ok the pen was a clear pen but a weak effort by Martindale with Searle saving easily 

Not the biggest of crowds there last night will be a lot bigger this Saturday when Blazey visit Newquay . 

My MOM FOR HELSTON STEVE COLWELL and for Saltash HENRY WILSON 

I noticed last night the speed of the football was a lot faster than the Peninsula league and the tackles are more robust taking no prisoners .

Ok already for the big match this Saturday should be a cracker hope its not peeing down 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

26 minutes ago, The Town Man said:

Hmmm.  I wonder how many neutral supporters bother to pitch up for a Senior Cup final.  Surely their numbers would not be big enough to put their travelling considerations before two sets of dedicated supporters!

The menu has changed in the Tea Hut!

That's a shame, I liked the korma and chips.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, The Town Man said:

It would be a travesty if a Wendron v. Helston final was not at Falmouth.  I am sure Falmouth accept that they don't get finals due to geography, but if these two clubs meet, and Falmouth did not get the game, given how great the old ground is for spectating, there would have to be questions asked of the CCFA.

It would be a lot of travelling for the Helston squad.

Also Falmouth away to Bridgwater on Easter Monday-the F.Troop and club officials will probably be at Fairfax Park in force  to square up to the second best supported W.LClub.  (Help Silly Billy lol)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

36 minutes ago, Mike Odgers said:

It would be a lot of travelling for the Helston squad.

Also Falmouth away to Bridgwater on Easter Monday-the F.Troop and club officials will probably be at Fairfax Park in force  to square up to the second best supported W.LClub.  (Help Silly Billy lol)

All the more reason for it to be at Falmouth then lol. But is their pitch really up to scratch? 

1 hour ago, Soccer Follower said:

What about Hayle if Wendron win their match tonight? Pitch looks superb.

Hayle has quite a slope which often has a big influence 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, le boss said:

Hayle has quite a slope which often has a big influence 

Didn't have an influence last year. St Austell is more of a slope than Hayle!

5 hours ago, 100%cornish said:

Back up and running after what happened Saturday was waching the film Banshees of Inisherin with a friend i went to make a cup of Coffee when she shouted out the laptop was on fire and it was flames bit of a scare good job it didnt catch fire when i was out watching the footy anyway here i am back again with another Laptop .

Last nights match i thought Saltash would of walked all over Helston but Saltash never really turned up and Helston dominated the match i thought Steve Colwell and Matty Bye where superb and dominated the midfield ,the 2 ex Millbrook strikers Rikki Shepherd and Tom Payne have a brilliant understanding and caused the Saltash defence endless problems all evening .

Steve Colwell opened the scoring with a brilliant then it was the 2 ex Millbrook players Shepherd and Payne and Rubin Wilson came

on briefly and scored the 4th and also got sent off .

The pitch wasnt good and Helston goalie Searle went down when catching his foot in a rut but he was ok to continue and saving Saltashes weak penalty.

Saltash brought on my fav player Adam Carter in place of Mike Smith but it made no difference the brilliant Helston defence of Storey , Bentley and Harrison defended like there lives depended on it they where so good the whole Helston team was .

I thought the ref did ok the pen was a clear pen but a weak effort by Martindale with Searle saving easily 

Not the biggest of crowds there last night will be a lot bigger this Saturday when Blazey visit Newquay . 

My MOM FOR HELSTON STEVE COLWELL and for Saltash HENRY WILSON 

I noticed last night the speed of the football was a lot faster than the Peninsula league and the tackles are more robust taking no prisoners .

Ok already for the big match this Saturday should be a cracker hope its not peeing down 

 

Were you there? 

Rubin Wilson didn't get sent off.

Your MOTM for Saltash was the who got sent off.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, The Town Man said:

It would be a travesty if a Wendron v. Helston final was not at Falmouth.  I am sure Falmouth accept that they don't get finals due to geography, but if these two clubs meet, and Falmouth did not get the game, given how great the old ground is for spectating, there would have to be questions asked of the CCFA.

Or questions about Falmouth as they may not offer their ground.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just saying what it said on the Helston Twitter site that  Wilson got sent off ,Football Chat i havnt a clue what he looked like my eyes arent to good under floodlights and cant judge who the players are at a distance ,yes i was there at my usual spot by the Saltash dug out ,freezing to death that wind was so cold there last night . Hoping Wendron can beat Millbrook tonight going for a 2 -1 win to Wendron and Ethan to keep the Millbrook strikers at bay . Got my Wilsons and teams mixed up i see it was Henry Wilson who got sent off for Saltash i thought he was playing well but Saltash where poor Helston dominated the match 

 

DSCN7770.JPG

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...