Cornwall Football Forum

Combellack Vehicle Recyclers East Cornwall Premier League Fixtures Tuesday 7th March.

Torpoint Ath 1 - 4 Nanpean

Torpoint goalscorer: Ryan Easterbrook

Lineup: Jackson, Bark, WhiteJ, Pearce, Hussey, Rowe, Burns, Northcott, Easterbrook, Warren, Rio Driver.

Subs: Brown, Cotter, Bartolini, Halls, Paine. 

This is probably going to be a tough report to write. It's easy to sing when you're winning, but it's poor form to not do one when we lose and not give our forum readers some context, as well as credit to the victors. I always find writing my reports too soon after would read differently if I let some time to pass and settle, but here goes.

We were awful! Worst we've played in a long time as a team. Maybe Altarnun away in late '21, or back even further the St Minver 7-1 thrashing of 2015. But I will give some credit to our visitors too.

We started off quite brightly, moved the ball about well and I thought we were on it. Much like Saturday's game at North Peth the minimum ask was maximum effort and some quality where we could. And we did, initially. We opened the scoring around 19mins when my poor eyesight couldn't tell how he'd done it, but Ryan Warren bamboozled his way past his full back and a great low pass to the back post gave Easterbrook a 1 yard finish to take him to 23 goals for the season and leapfrog Bouldy. Ideal, let's kick on from here. But Nanpean weren't deterred and eventually took a hold of the game. An injury to Northcott forced him off around half an hour in due to a knee injury he couldn't shake off from Saturday. It was around this time that Nanpean equalised. Nanpean worked their %s well from 25-30mins on and Jaffa Rowe was quite relentless, there was no "stepping down" on his part and he worked tirelessly throughout. Too many times he found himself in 1 on 1 situations with both of our centre halves and carved shooting opportunities for himself or team mates or forced corners. The equaliser came from a nice left foot finish from a Nanpean player I don't know the name of but a nice strike from 16yds or so. 1-1 HT.

Not the worst half by any means but Nanpean had had the better of it and finished well on top. We needed to regain some momentum, be a little more patient and composed but we did none of that. Nanpean sat in, didn't really over press and leave gaps in behind and showed patience out of possession. By doing this they invited us to give them the ball back and that we did. In the 2nd half this happened time and time again and was ultimately our downfall and my biggest disappointment from the game. If I tried to count how many times we gave the ball back to them needlessly with aimless long balls or poor quality my Lynx clicker would've burnt out. Nanpean didn't even need to try and get the ball back as we just gave it to them. This resulted in lots of counters and in the end the inevitable happened for Jaffa Rowe to get them in front with most of the goal to aim at when well placed to the left hand side of the goal. Their celebrations was the most they had to run in the half as they piled on in the corner. Heads were down and the ball either wouldn't stick in forward areas or we lost it. No belief. The 3rd came around 80mins or so after I'd rightly or wrongly changed shape, and 3-1 was an uphill task and all hope was gone on the pitch. The shining light from this was the introduction of Boyd Halls again and debutant Harvey Paine, both from our u16s who have done well in training in recent months. Nanpean by this point were content and a few of our players with the pressure off result wise moved the ball about a little better, Halls and Brown in particular, but it was too late. To rub salt in the wounds even further, Geach scored a fluke from the halfway line. A tackle/clearance on the left touchline went high into the sky and Jackson in goal either lost it in the dark of the night or blinded by an eclipse from the floodlights but he completely lost it and the ball came down with snow on it and into the net to surprise, rapture and deflation all round. When the tide is against you I guess these things happen. Not Jackson's fault and a complete fluke which didn't change the result either way.

Credit to Nanpean who showed the experience we don't have at the moment and worked hard when needed. Jaffa was good which you'd expect and in the 2nd half Trudgeon was also lively and looked dangerous. The bar take will have appreciated them staying after us on what was a quiet, cold night with a low attendance, thankfully. Another tough one to take with only 1 point gained from 3 difficult fixtures. Not the form we want to take into an even tougher battle ahead for our next 2 fixtures against St Columb in the league and cup semi final!

4 minutes ago, Finesman10 said:

With the cup semis coming up are there league rules for player eligibility like in the county cups? Does a player have to have played a requisite number of matches? 

Yes. 5 games including reserve sides and CCFA Intermediate Cup games. Up from 3 games required for the earlier 1/4 finals.

St Dennis 4 Newquay res 2

Another valuable 3 points against a decent team of youngsters again,1 stand out young lad drew I think he was called had us In knots with his close control n skill but luckily we defended quite decent for a change. We got an early goal after about 3 mins which is never heard of after a good passage of runs and passes to open up space for Lee hazeldine to roll back the years with a type of bicycle kick to open the scoring Newquay pressed hard and kept leaving a massive gap for us to expose and the next chance was put away by mykey Davies we continue to hold shape under even more pressure when a ball over the top from one of us found the keeper who misplaced his kick to skids and he duly dispatched the finish from 30 yards over the keepers head no one could believe it to be honest,I still don't lol.

Half time 3-0

Second half a harsh penalty against miles one of our young lads seen one of ours go into the sin bin for arguing it was accidental but the ref had made his decision n that was that a guy with a quality tache n mullet scored,10 mins later another penalty as our keeper decided the cold was enough to warrant getting sent off after clashing with the Newquay striker,another penalty and mykey who had scored his second of the game prior to damo getting a red donned the gloves only to be beaten by matey with the hair do n tache,this kicked Newquay into life and they were relentless in pushing forward and we were constantly defending Newquay had the ball in the net again but it was chalked off for offside or handball either way it was a welcome relief the last 10 mins seemed to take a week to pass and we were very grateful to hear the final whistle.

Very well reffed by dale England who was clear and fair all game.

All the best to Newquay for the remainder of the season.

12 minutes ago, davegrose said:

St Dennis 4 Newquay res 2

Another valuable 3 points against a decent team of youngsters again,1 stand out young lad drew I think he was called had us In knots with his close control n skill but luckily we defended quite decent for a change. We got an early goal after about 3 mins which is never heard of after a good passage of runs and passes to open up space for Lee hazeldine to roll back the years with a type of bicycle kick to open the scoring Newquay pressed hard and kept leaving a massive gap for us to expose and the next chance was put away by mykey Davies we continue to hold shape under even more pressure when a ball over the top from one of us found the keeper who misplaced his kick to skids and he duly dispatched the finish from 30 yards over the keepers head no one could believe it to be honest,I still don't lol.

Half time 3-0

Second half a harsh penalty against miles one of our young lads seen one of ours go into the sin bin for arguing it was accidental but the ref had made his decision n that was that a guy with a quality tache n mullet scored,10 mins later another penalty as our keeper decided the cold was enough to warrant getting sent off after clashing with the Newquay striker,another penalty and mykey who had scored his second of the game prior to damo getting a red donned the gloves only to be beaten by matey with the hair do n tache,this kicked Newquay into life and they were relentless in pushing forward and we were constantly defending Newquay had the ball in the net again but it was chalked off for offside or handball either way it was a welcome relief the last 10 mins seemed to take a week to pass and we were very grateful to hear the final whistle.

Very well reffed by dale England who was clear and fair all game.

All the best to Newquay for the remainder of the season.

Decent win mate and off the bottom 👍🏻

4 hours ago, St George said:

Won’t St Dennis get punished with a further points deduction for not fulfilling their game away at North Petherwin on top of the earlier one at Liskeard though? 

Yes we will and a fine, somethings can't be helped and I hate having the embarrassment of having to ring and apologize for a no show as I'm well aware of the costs n efforts it takes to get things in place for 2 sets of lads to have a game of football.

20 hours ago, Rjw87 said:

Just want to say - my 16 year old brother made his debut in men’s football tonight for St Dennis, and what a debut he had. 👍

Yes callum did considering it was only the 2nd time he's met some of the lads he did himself proud,I won't go on too much tho as the last young player I praised was snatched up by Bodmin, another lad that's fitted in well is Gary he's only been with us a couple weeks and Jamie had his first game last nite,and U did nothing wrong last Saturday when u played so hopefully we get a couple more wins n see the season out with a little bit of credibility mate