Cornwall Football Forum

WL Chairman on TSWL Podcast - Is he always this poor?!

Now, there has understandably been much said about the collapse of the WL / SWPL merger talks, but just take a listen to the WL Podcast. A short and fairly soft interview but John Pool comes across dismally. Liz Truss levels of charisma here! This is the man who wanted to ensure he and his chums got all the key roles in the new takeover, sorry ‘merged’, putative WPL.

Not heard great things outside of the merger debacle either. Surely someone to promote the league and all its clubs, including those in Cornwall and Devon now needed? I’m open to hearing the case for the defence, but this was hardly a confidence builder.

That is a very big area to represent. The Bristol based clubs have, apparently, been very local in their views of travelling. We have 17 Step 6 leagues (not the obvious 16 to form a pyramid) with SWPL E & W restricted to 1 promotion place each instead of the usual 2. The merger would have created the same anomaly but one level higher. The power politics have produced a standoff which won’t be easily solved with the current administrations. If the FA are determined to see it happen, then they have the power to impose something. Personally, I think we are stuck with the current arrangement for the foreseeable. 

Sounds to me that it’s mainly the Bristolian Clubs with a lack of ambition! Most of the Cornish Peninsula Clubs are looking to progress and were more than willing to take the next step, Wadebridge, Blazey, and Liskeard to name a few, who wouldn’t want Phil Hiscox in a prominent position within the officers?? The man comes across very humbly and talks an awful lot of sense in a very unconflicting manner.