Cornwall Football Forum

Combellack Vehicle Recyclers East Cornwall Premier League Fixtures Saturday 4th March.

On 02/03/2023 at 10:29, Rjw87 said:

NANPEAN ROVERS VS ST TEATH. 

NEWQUAY ACADEMY VS LOOE TOWN. 

NORTH PETHERWIN VS TORPOINT ATH 3RDS. 

ROCHE VS LISKEARD ATHLETIC RES. 

ST BLAZEY RES VS ST MINVER. 

ST DENNIS RES VS WADEBRIDGE TOWN RES. 

ST STEPHEN VS ST NEWLYN EAST. 

All games are 14.30 Kick offs. Good luck to all

Nanpean 5-1 St Teath 

Newquay 2-3 Looe 

North Petherwin 0-2 Torpoint 

Roche 1-3 Liskeard Res

St Blazey 0-3 St Minver

St Dennis Res 1-1 Wadebridge Res

St Stephen 2-4 St Newlyn East 

3 minutes ago, r_and_l said:

What a goal it was to. Pleasure to play alongside you today. Wadebridge will be a good side if they can keep those lads together. They knew how to play but just weren’t savy enough against the more experienced saints. 

Yeah cracking goal to win any game. Likewise mate! 👍

Newquay Academy v Looe Town 1st

Today we travelled down to Newquay, who as normal, were fantastic hosts. Both teams have been playing well of late, so it was likely to be a good game and neither team disappointed.

Looe started the stronger team and played some good football, having a few chances at goal in the first 15 minutes. Newquay’s best chance came in the first half. Where the ball was played in from wide to their no:9. He timed his run perfectly, but headed it straight to our keeper, to be fair, that should have been 1-0 Newquay after 20 minutes. They then had two other good chances in the first half too.

With the first half almost at an end, Looe scored just before the half time whistle. Phil Kos punched the ball in from the far right towards goal, for it to deflect of into the net. If asked, he meant that.

Both Teams came out in the second half and continued to play good football. Looe had a great chance when the ball was chipped over the defence for Archie to run on to in front of goal. If only he new how to place it, it could have been 2-0.

Looe continued to win their battles overall. In the 1st and 2nd third of the pitch Looe kept possession well, playing some great football. If only the final third were as good!

Final score 1-0

Goal – Philippos Kombostiotis (deflection)

Newquay’s no:10 (left wing) was having a great battle with our young Oli, both strong but fair. He was a confident lad, who looked like he wanted to always best our Oli, a good matching for sure.

A well earned three points for Looe and that 3 wins on the trot now!

North Petherwin 2 - 2 Torpoint Ath

Lineup: WestallM, Bark, WhiteJ, Pearce, Hussey, Rowe, Burns, Northcott, Easterbrook, Warren, Rio Driver.

Subs: Cotter, Eversfield, Brown, Halls. Unused: Quintrell.

A superb result today...for Foxhole! Despite sitting 2nd the bookies probably won't give a punter much money back for them given the league table after FT today.

But 1st vs 3rd prior to kick off today was a good advert for the league IMO. After last week's out of character kick in the teeth, we were far better at the basics. We started strongly and a foul on Easterbrook early on resulted in a disputed penalty which Hussey despatched for 1-0 around 10mins in. We remained on top for a while but few clear cut chances were created. North Peth weren't squashed and their best chance of the half was blocked by their own player as inside the box a goal bound smash hit the lad in front of him on the floor that was probably destined for 1-1. Lots of set pieces for both sides, with some being fouls and some for whinging (appealing), but was telling that sooner or later one would pay off at either end. Luckily it was for us late in the half. A great corner from Hussey was met at the back post with a superb header by the angry pocket rocket Will Burns for his 2nd headed goal of the season. He's good in the air for a hobbit! HT 0-2.

HT was a positive feeling but we had to produce the same application and energy which was serving us well. Shooting up the slight slope for the 2nd half I had a feeling it wouldn't be easy, and it never is there. Eventually they pulled one back after a low ball into the box found a man in space who found the net. We didn't create enough in the 2nd half to put the game to bed and the best breaks we did had were thwarted by two clever "tactical" fouls on halfway, one on Northcott which killed him and another on Easterbrook, who got sin binned for appealing for the free kick he won. Strange. As the game wore on, North Peth pushed and pushed. With 3mins remaining on my watch the ref said there was 13 and I had a feeling that would be too much. A home free kick 25yds out was smashed towards goal and the ball ricocheted about a bit before a home player smashed the ball in for the equaliser. With a few mins remaining still I was a little nervous we'd drop more points but it petered out. Though an audacious lob effort from Easterbrook from a long way out did get my hopes up briefly as the keeper was in a weird position but it sailed off target. 

2-2 FT probably a fair result as neither side deserved to lose, but I was pleased with the improvement from last week. A couple days off before a midweek fixture at home on Tuesday vs Nanpean. Prize of the day was for the two biggest whiners of the game being Torpoint's No.3 and North Peth's big lad in the middle, No. 7 or 10 I've forgotten. 

One point I'd like to add is the improvements made to the ground. I think my last visit was the 19/20 season pre pandemic and there's now new dugouts on the road side of the pitch, a 2nd pitch alongside the main pitch which used to be the parallel sheep field, an improved barrier, new lavs and with a new club house in the planning it might quieten a few forum doubters of their promotion ambitions to Step 7. Along with their newer players I can now see why they're moving in the right direction. Hopefully we still finish above them this season! 

PS does anyone think wearing gloves is banned in the Laws of the Game? Caused quite the debate on the side today as the ref was adamant you can't wear them and made a player take them off or he'd get booked. Reminded me of Anelka vs England about 25yrs ago wearing keeper gloves :lol::lol:

EzBKroNWgA8KWeX.jpg

3 minutes ago, Foul Throw 3 said:

Lineup: WestallM, Bark, WhiteJ, Pearce, Hussey, Rowe, Burns, Northcott, Easterbrook, Warren, Rio Driver.

A superb result today...for Foxhole! Despite sitting 2nd the bookies probably won't give a punter much money back for them given the league table after FT today.

But 1st vs 3rd prior to kick off today was a good advert for the league IMO. After last week's out of character kick in the teeth, we were far better at the basics. We started strongly and a foul on Easterbrook early on resulted in a disputed penalty which Hussey despatched for 1-0 around 10mins in. We remained on top for a while but few clear cut chances were created. North Peth weren't squashed and their best chance of the half was blocked by their own player as inside the box a goal bound smash hit the lad in front of him on the floor that was probably destined for 1-1. Lots of set pieces for both sides, with some being fouls and some for whinging (appealing), but was telling that sooner or later one would pay off at either end. Luckily it was for us late in the half. A great corner from Hussey was met at the back post with a superb header by the angry pocket rocket Will Burns for his 2nd headed goal of the season. He's good in the air for a hobbit! HT 0-2.

HT was a positive feeling but we had to produce the same application and energy which was serving us well. Shooting up the slight slope for the 2nd half I had a feeling it wouldn't be easy, and it never is there. Eventually they pulled one back after a low ball into the box found a man in space who found the net. We didn't create enough in the 2nd half to put the game to bed and the best breaks we did had were thwarted by two clever "tactical" fouls on halfway, one on Northcott which killed him and another on Easterbrook, who got sin binned for appealing for the free kick he won. Strange. As the game wore on, North Peth pushed and pushed. With 3mins remaining on my watch the ref said there was 13 and I had a feeling that would be too much. A home free kick 25yds out was smashed towards goal and the ball ricocheted about a bit before a home player smashed the ball in for the equaliser. With a few mins remaining still I was a little nervous we'd drop more points but it petered out. Though an audacious lob effort from Easterbrook from a long way out did get my hopes up briefly as the keeper was in a weird position but it sailed off target. 

2-2 FT probably a fair result as neither side deserved to lose, but I was pleased with the improvement from last week. A couple days off before a midweek fixture at home on Tuesday vs Nanpean. Prize of the day was for the two biggest whiners of the game being Torpoint's No.3 and North Peth's big lad in the middle, No. 7 or 10 I've forgotten. 

One point I'd like to add is the improvements made to the ground. I think my last visit was the 19/20 season pre pandemic and there's now new dugouts on the road side of the pitch, a 2nd pitch alongside the main pitch which used to be the parallel sheep field, an improved barrier, new lavs and with a new club house in the planning it might quieten a few forum doubters of their promotion ambitions to Step 7. Along with their newer players I can now see why they're moving in the right direction. Hopefully we still finish above them this season! 

PS does anyone think wearing gloves is banned in the Laws of the Game? Caused quite the debate on the side today as the ref was adamant you can't wear them and made a player take them off or he'd get booked. Reminded me of Anelka vs England about 25yrs ago wearing keeper gloves :lol::lol:

EzBKroNWgA8KWeX.jpg

I’ve never heard a ref say you can get booked for wearing gloves before… wow 😂 

Jewellery and dangerous equipment have to be removed from players before entering the field of play. 
there’s no mention of gloves but I’d assume, as long as it’s soft material, black or the colour of the kit, it’s fine?

I could understand if he were to question gloves that have grip on them. It could possibly be an advantage to throwing the ball further? I doubt that’s been questioned before though.  

St Dennis 1 wadebridge 0

First and foremost I just have to comment on wadebridge fantastic bunch of youngsters the majority of the team must be no older than 17/18 and they hold/pass/move the ball extremely well.

On to the game,we were depleted in numbers again losing players to work and injury we can't seem to get a break anywhere ATM but managed to scrape together a team so no fine or points deducted 🤣 from my point of view playing at centre half it seemed like we were constantly defending but a long throw into the box from our skipper eliah was found by the ever green Steve capelin who found an ever greener Kyle Willmot with a smart flick on for Kyle to some how bicycle kick the ball in,was a fantastic goal and an even better way for him to announce himself back as a player for us, wadebridge had a goal ruled out for handball in the first half as well which was fortunate for us as they were pressing really well for an equaliser.

2nd half was pretty much the same as the first with wadebridge having the majority of the ball but again with damo in top form in the sticks he kept their strikers at bay The final whistle seemed to take an age to come and I can only thank our lads that put an absolute shift in to get the result we so badly needed.

Well reffed by Duncan Stevenson who let the game flow really well too.

All the best to wadebridge for the remainder of their season and onto Newquay at home for us Tuesday evening.

On 04/03/2023 at 20:29, Foul Throw 3 said:

Good write up Cal and thanks for the callout on the work that has been done at Petherwin. I am surprised you missed off your sin bin and the cup of tea i sent up to you haha.

I had some fans tell me it was a good game and I have to agree. Penalty was very dubious, you see that arm into player action all over the pitch multiples times a game and never given as free kicks. On the whole i thought the 1st half was fairly even with us having the better chances, hitting the cross bar and seeing our striker Josh Sanders smash it at our CB Reece Goodman inside your 6 yard box.

Half time team talk was fairly calm our side as although 2-0 down we felt we were 100% in the game and if upped the intensity and installed fwd looking passes we could get something out of it and thats exactly how it panned out. IMO we dominated the 2nd half and got the deserved goals, Alex Williams who got the 1st of our 2 goals also unleased a superb half volley which hit the cross bar. I felt if we had another 10mins we would have scored again. 

on the whole another good game for the ECPL. 

Would like to callout your Ryan Easterbrook, thought he played well again!

27 minutes ago, The Badger said:

Good write up Cal and thanks for the callout on the work that has been done at Petherwin. I am surprised you missed off your sin bin and the cup of tea i sent up to you haha.

I had some fans tell me it was a good game and I have to agree. Penalty was very dubious, you see that arm into player action all over the pitch multiples times a game and never given as free kicks. On the whole i thought the 1st half was fairly even with us having the better chances, hitting the cross bar and seeing our striker Josh Sanders smash it at our CB Reece Goodman inside your 6 yard box.

Half time team talk was fairly calm our side as although 2-0 down we felt we were 100% in the game and if upped the intensity and installed fwd looking passes we could get something out of it and thats exactly how it panned out. IMO we dominated the 2nd half and got the deserved goals, Alex Williams who got the 1st of our 2 goals also unleased a superb half volley which hit the cross bar. I felt if we had another 10mins we would have scored again. 

on the whole another good game for the ECPL. 

Would like to callout your Ryan Easterbrook, thought he played well again!

I deliberately left out my “sin bin” through fear! 🤣 I asked our ref last night about it and he said “fine then I’ll book myself at KO cos it’s freezing and I’ll be wearing my gloves!” 
yeah I commented on the block so say thanks to Reece from me! If you’d have had another 10mins that would’ve been a 65min half so I’d have definitely been booked then! Was difficult to stay disciplined on Saturday but at least we laughed about it.