Cornwall Football Forum

FIXTURES - SATURDAY 25TH FEBRUARY, 2023

East Division

AFC St. Austell v Saltash United

Callington Town v St. Mawgan

Polperro v Launceston

Sticker v St. Dominick (Kick-off 2.30pm)

Torpoint Athletic v Altarnun

West Division

Helston Athletic v Penryn Athletic

Illogan RBL v Mullion

Redruth United v Falmouth Town

St. Agnes v Perranwell

St. Day v Porthleven

Truro City v Hayle

Illogan RBL 2, Mullion 0

Well. What can I say? On the balance of play the points went to the right team. BUT how unlucky were Mullion to get nothing from the game? They lost to a howling error by their 'keeper, letting a speculative shot from Hoonie dribble through his legs in the 27th minute and a was-it-or-wasn't-it penalty, dispatched with his usual ferocity by Barry Wyatt on 43.

So at half time the feeling round me was a puzzled mixture of thinking the lead deserved, but lucky! If you see what I mean. I expected Illogan's lead to increase in the 2nd half, seeing as how they were kicking down hill but the Mullion manager must have fed his team raw meat in the interval because for long periods they dominated the game. The fact that there were no further goals was partly due to two absolute worldies by Wyatt - one down at the bottom of his right-hand post, the other barely minutes later tipped brilliantly over the bar. He had to make a couple of other classy saves, too. At the other end, Illogan squandered at least 3 nailed on chances the missing of which almost amounted to criminal negligence: either that or Mullion had stretched clingfilm across their goal! 

Wyatt's 2nd half saves worth the entry money alone.

Very cold so 2 hot chox at half-time!

Good banter and gossip in the stand so money well spent today.

That makes the top of tha table interesting with saint day winning to Porthleven.with the merger not happening what does this mean for the league is it only one that go up. If mousehole pip saint day and Truro can they go up?that would be a great achievement for the club.but my question is how do teams like Helston mousehole Porthleven etc handle not having junior teams in Trelawney?where are the stepping stones from school to senior football?

Heard that penryn got thumped today but manage to field a side today consisting of a few people that don’t play regular football. A real example of true footballing commitment to club by not giving the fixture up. Hopefully a rebuild for next season and they can continue the rest of this campaign 🤞

58 minutes ago, BrummyBarry said:

That makes the top of tha table interesting with saint day winning to Porthleven.with the merger not happening what does this mean for the league is it only one that go up. If mousehole pip saint day and Truro can they go up?that would be a great achievement for the club.but my question is how do teams like Helston mousehole Porthleven etc handle not having junior teams in Trelawney?where are the stepping stones from school to senior football?

Helston have a 3rd team in the combo which is now a suitable standard for youngesters to break into,  a flexi league side for those that not quite ready for that and an U18s team in a strong youth league where alot of players are already playing some form of adult football so get their stepping stones into more competitive football through those sides/leagues.

27 minutes ago, ArseneWanger said:

Heard that penryn got thumped today but manage to field a side today consisting of a few people that don’t play regular football. A real example of true footballing commitment to club by not giving the fixture up. Hopefully a rebuild for next season and they can continue the rest of this campaign 🤞

Big respect to those that turned out for Penryn today and doing their bit for the club to keep the clubs senior status by fulfilling their fixtures.  It could be so easy for them to throw in the towel and not show up but they did and ticked off another fixture ahead of a summer rebuild.

Despite a heavy scoreline today, the Penryn lads that turned out kept going and the Helston lads showed humility by not taking the p*ss, no showboating and played football properly until the final whistle.

Keep going Penryn!!!, you've earned alot of respect from me and the Helston Reserves lads today.

6 minutes ago, Devils@Dusk said:

Redruth United 3 - 1 Falmouth Town

Helston Athletic 9 - 0 Penryn Athletic (?)

Helston 2nds 16 - 0 Penryn 

14 minutes ago, Box 2 Box said:

That’s a good question? With the Merger off , will there be more than one team promoted ?

It has been confirmed with the SWPL that following the collapse of the Step5/6 merger the normal promotion rules will apply.  This means that only one from each of the St Piran divisions can be promoted not the maximum of two had the merger gone ahead.  All of the promotion candidates have been advised of the change.

On 25/02/2023 at 19:12, Lifeintheolddog said:

Truro 1 Vs 1 Hayle

good game to be fair, Hayle 1-0 up in second half but guy LOWERY who was a class above all equalised to make it 1-1. He certainly looks like someone who’s played well above this level but it was a good game and probably a fair result. Both keepers making cracking saves in last 5 minutes 👍I

I have to agree a good game that truro had slightly the better of. Jamie Lowry got his goal following a good set piece. 

Some good signings from mousehole in the hayle I think it was ethan elwel and josh oto. Good signings if permanent? 

12 minutes ago, Dave Deacon said:

Not sure if this is a serious question or not, but just in case - the 130 appearances in the Football League are quite impressive 👍

Got my lowrys mixed up I knew Jamies history but then started thinking of Phil sorry. Very impressive Dave