Falmouth Town                          0-2        Buckland Athletic

Helston Athletic                         5-1        Street

Ilfracombe Town                        1-0       Cadbury Heath

Millbrook                                   2-0       Keynsham Town

Saltash United                            4-0        Wellington

Torpoint Athletic                        3-1        Clevedon Town

Welton Rovers                             1-3       Mousehole  

Falmouth Town 0. Buckland Athletic 2.

Disappointing result for Falmouth today but Buckland just seem to have the Indian sign over them at the moment.

Buckland took the lead early in front of the vocal Bickland Park faithful via a  dubious penalty. The crowd being whipped up by the visiting captain Farkins antics once the penalty was converted.

Falmouth matched Buckland in general play in the first half and started to create some chances. Towards the end of the half, the ref evened things up by awarding Falmouth a soft penalty after a Buckland defender was deemed to have  wrestled James Ward to the ground. Top scorer Tim Nixon stepped up in the absence of Luke Brabyn but his firm effort was saved as the Buckland keeper guessed the right way.

An already thin-looking Falmouth squad took another blow as in-form winger Ollie Walker, who was playing #9 instead of Brabyn, pulled up with what looked like a hamstring strain after about 30 minutes.

The half finished at 1-0 but in an even 2nd half, Falmouth weren't able to create many chances and Buckland looked dangerous on the break. They hit the post halfway through the half and then went 2 up after a clever ball played from the outside of the left-back's boot found the Buckland striker who drove into the area and slotted it home past Barnes in the Town goal.

It was tough for Falmouth to change the game with an inexperienced bench, with the exception of Kirk Davies. In the end, the front 3 consisted of two U-18s with the addition of the promising Ethan Jory and Ollie Pickup, along with young Charlie Edney. A tough ask against an experienced Buckland back 4.

Looks like Falmouth may need more numbers going forward as the talk on the terraces was that Ollie Walker was moving to London for work in a few weeks and Brabyn apparently not being available for another couple of games.

Table-topping Saltash and local rivals Helston await in the next week or so.

UP THE TOWN!

• Dave Deacon changed the title to PREMIER LEAGUE RESULTS - Saturday 11 February 2023
1 hour ago, The Town Man said:

Disappointing result for Falmouth today but Buckland just seem to have the Indian sign over them at the moment.

Buckland took the lead early in front of the vocal Bickland Park faithful via a  dubious penalty. The crowd being whipped up by the visiting captain Farkins antics once the penalty was converted.

Falmouth matched Buckland in general play in the first half and started to create some chances. Towards the end of the half, the ref evened things up by awarding Falmouth a soft penalty after a Buckland defender was deemed to have  wrestled James Ward to the ground. Top scorer Tim Nixon stepped up in the absence of Luke Brabyn but his firm effort was saved as the Buckland keeper guessed the right way.

An already thin-looking Falmouth squad took another blow as in-form winger Ollie Walker, who was playing #9 instead of Brabyn, pulled up with what looked like a hamstring strain after about 30 minutes.

The half finished at 1-0 but in an even 2nd half, Falmouth weren't able to create many chances and Buckland looked dangerous on the break. They hit the post halfway through the half and then went 2 up after a clever ball played from the outside of the left-back's boot found the Buckland striker who drove into the area and slotted it home past Barnes in the Town goal.

It was tough for Falmouth to change the game with an inexperienced bench, with the exception of Kirk Davies. In the end, the front 3 consisted of two U-18s with the addition of the promising Ethan Jory and Ollie Pickup, along with young Charlie Edney. A tough ask against an experienced Buckland back 4.

Looks like Falmouth may need more numbers going forward as the talk on the terraces was that Ollie Walker was moving to London for work in a few weeks and Brabyn apparently not being available for another couple of games.

UP THE TOWN!

Really good report that ! It wasn’t the best game to be fair but as a Buckland fan I agree with all of it and before kick off said the Falmouth team looked a little lightweight physically and in experience but the never stopped trying.

Cracking support from the Bickland park  faithful throughout.

see you next season and Rob Farkins said to say hi !! 👋 and said well done 👍 

43 minutes ago, rocky170267 said:

Really good report that ! It wasn’t the best game to be fair but as a Buckland fan I agree with all of it and before kick off said the Falmouth team looked a little lightweight physically and in experience but the never stopped trying.

Sounds like another all round solid Bucks performance today. Real progress being made!

Saltash United 4 Wellington 0

A flattering score, but an easy routine win over a limited Wellington side that barely threatened the Ashes goal all afternoon. 

26 minutes a Sam Farrant tap-in from inside the 6 yard box. Ashes comfortably on top without getting beyond second gear.

A sending off around the hour mark pretty much ended the visitors’ ‘challenge’ with a ‘last man’ foul. Some would have given a yellow, but a red given by a pretty decent ref - a vague Ed Sheeran lookalike.

76 mins - nice close control and run into the box, with a smart finish from Harrison Davis. 

93 and 96 mins - two typical finishes from the ever reliable Sam Hughes. What a servant he continues to be to the Ashes!

4-0 without needing to hit any form - sure home fans must be pretty pleased. I don’t know why it is, but another low crowd - 112- surely one of the WL and Cornwall’s best sides deserves better backing? Yes, I realise Argyle at home today as were Parkway, but you can’t rely on other clubs fans to boost gates. My perception after dozens of visits, is that it is not the most welcoming club. Harsh? Maybe. Certainly I wish Ashes well.

I was expecting to be at Blaise Park, but under the weather today and a lift to Waterways Stadium was the best I could manage. All I can say is not a good day for the Blues haters 😉 

Onto Langford Park midweek to see the Lambs!  Have a good weekend all!

1 hour ago, rocky170267 said:

Attendance 368-- Playing the same clun Home & Away  within 4 days not clever fixturing

This was the first time in over 4 years that Falmouth have failed to score in successive league games Dec.2018 H v Plymouth Argyle res 0-3 & A v Helston athletic 0-1.

I was very impressed with Mousehole today, footballing wise the best team in the league by a country mile. They remind me of the Willand team that won the league a few years back although perhaps not quite as solid at the back as they were.

I've always enjoyed watching Mousehole over the last 2 seasons in the Western league (the 2nd goal today was a lovely footballing move) but today I thought they showed some grit which on previous occasions when I have seen them I thought they lacked and they certainly needed it because Welton are a dogged team who are not easy to played against.

It's going to take a very good team to stop Mousehole taking the league title. One thing is for sure in Hayden Turner they undoubtedly in my mind have the leagues best player. I've seen Mousehole's last two away games and of the six goals they have scored in those two games he has scored 2 and assisted the other 4. I think he could easily play a couple of levels higher. 

48 minutes ago, Both Sides of the Tamar said:

Saltash United 4 Wellington 0

A flattering score, but an easy routine win over a limited Wellington side that barely threatened the Ashes goal all afternoon. 

26 minutes a Sam Farrant tap-in from inside the 6 yard box. Ashes comfortably on top without getting beyond second gear.

A sending off around the hour mark pretty much ended the visitors’ ‘challenge’ with a ‘last man’ foul. Some would have given a yellow, but a red given by a pretty decent ref - a vague Ed Sheeran lookalike.

76 mins - nice close control and run into the box, with a smart finish from Harrison Davis. 

93 and 96 mins - two typical finishes from the ever reliable Sam Hughes. What a servant he continues to be to the Ashes!

4-0 without needing to hit any form - sure home fans must be pretty pleased. I don’t know why it is, but another low crowd - 112- surely one of the WL and Cornwall’s best sides deserves better backing? Yes, I realise Argyle at home today as were Parkway, but you can’t rely on other clubs fans to boost gates. My perception after dozens of visits, is that it is not the most welcoming club. Harsh? Maybe. Certainly I wish Ashes well.

I was expecting to be at Blaise Park, but under the weather today and a lift to Waterways Stadium was the best I could manage. All I can say is not a good day for the Blues haters 😉 

Onto Langford Park midweek to see the Lambs!  Have a good weekend all!

Saltash have a big issue trying  to attract the locals through the club for such a big town. There a hard core of support but hardly any new people turn up and watch . 
it hasn’t helped with past chairman and committee members angering most of the locals with certain ways of running the club. 
there also been some long serving popular members of the town turfed out of the club 

all leads to a lack of interest. 

maybe promotion will focus a on big advertising push  to get more of the town involved . 
112 is poor for that standard. 

4 hours ago, The Town Man said:

UP THE TOWN!

Good report Town Man, think that summed it up well. Great support from the home fans, and a good turnout from Buckland too. 

1 hour ago, SomersetObserver said:

I was very impressed with Mousehole today, footballing wise the best team in the league by a country mile. They remind me of the Willand team that won the league a few years back although perhaps not quite as solid at the back as they were.

I've always enjoyed watching Mousehole over the last 2 seasons in the Western league (the 2nd goal today was a lovely footballing move) but today I thought they showed some grit which on previous occasions when I have seen them I thought they lacked and they certainly needed it because Welton are a dogged team who are not easy to played against.

It's going to take a very good team to stop Mousehole taking the league title. One thing is for sure in Hayden Turner they undoubtedly in my mind have the leagues best player. I've seen Mousehole's last two away games and of the six goals they have scored in those two games he has scored 2 and assisted the other 4. I think he could easily play a couple of levels higher. 

Think you are right! Mousehole the best watch / best footballing side in the WL.  Ashes are solid, competent, with many decent players, but have ground out a fair few results. Not as fluent as the Seagulls. Bridgy, good budget, good players, a bit of a blip, but I see the title likely to go 1 Mousehole 2 Bridgwater 3 Saltash. No skin in this game, but would like one of the Cornish duo to prevail.

Torpoint Athletic 3-1 Clevedon Town

Att: 135

Torpoint Scorers:

Hillson 20, Richards 30, Smith 70

Torpoint got back to winning ways home to The Seasiders after Tuesdays defeat home to promotion chasing Bridgwater United. 
The three goals for Torpoint were all from well managed set pieces. 
The visitors started the brightest in the first ten minutes of the match with a couple of half chances from Archie Ferris. 
On the 20th minute the home side had a corner, which was a well taken by Darren Hicks and a in swinger. Sam Hillson was on hand at the far the post to head the ball home and put the hosts in front. 
Ten minutes later, a superb free kick on the edge of the area by Elliot Crawford found Ryan Richards again unmarked at the far post to head home in off the post to double the lead. 
Ten minutes into the second half the visitors pulled a goal back when Tom Kemble shot home from close range after a cross in by Ferris. 
On the 70th minute a Crawford corner found Jake Smith unmarked in the area to blast home from ten yards and this young man’s first ever goal for the club to restore Torpoint’s two goal cushion. 
Eight minutes later, both sides were reduced to ten men when Ethan Feltham and Elliot Crawford where both shown a second yellow card for comments to the referee after a challenge outside the home sides area. 

Man of the Match:

Jake Smith (Torpoint Athletic)

Referee: Lee Roberts (Plymouth)

11 hours ago, sportsman10 said:

Saltash have a big issue trying  to attract the locals through the club for such a big town. There a hard core of support but hardly any new people turn up and watch . 
it hasn’t helped with past chairman and committee members angering most of the locals with certain ways of running the club. 
there also been some long serving popular members of the town turfed out of the club 

maybe promotion will focus a on big advertising push  to get more of the town involved . 

'Twas ever thus unfortunately.  Even back in the 80's (when 3 Western League titles were won in 5 seasons), the crowds weren't great. Similar issue during this era over at Liskeard as well.

13 hours ago, Both Sides of the Tamar said:

Think you are right! Mousehole the best watch / best footballing side in the WL.  Ashes are solid, competent, with many decent players, but have ground out a fair few results. Not as fluent as the Seagulls. Bridgy, good budget, good players, a bit of a blip, but I see the title likely to go 1 Mousehole 2 Bridgwater 3 Saltash. No skin in this game, but would like one of the Cornish duo to prevail.

Injuries and suspensions hitting Bridgwater hard at the moment. If they are going to win the title then they have to get a grip of their discipline.

14 hours ago, sportsman10 said:

Well when we moved a few short miles across the Tamar others in my group wanted to go to Saltash regularly - I didn't. I was outvoted. Despite going every home game and a few away games for about four months I never felt welcomed or part of things. I really didn't like the thin skinned and unpleasant ex Chairman. This started with a complaint to him about fan conduct at a game vs Bitton which he dismissed out of hand and was in denial about. Others clearly felt likewise as a complaint was received by the Cornwall FA.

This was followed with another clash over a sexist comment in the programme about going on the club coach to Street, with him suggesting take your wife and we'll drop her off at Clark's Village!  I'm not 'right on' or on the lookout to be 'offended' but my partner likes her football and there's plenty women at the ground on match days. No need to go shopping on a Saturday afternoon! Further, Dave Bishop  spent most games in / around a coterie of older regulars - very cliquey. Even though he has gone, it still feels like same 'atmosphere' around the club **to me* The amount of reserved seating in a small ageing stand is ridiculous. It feels like every time we go the only place to sit is in front of the visitors dressing room. I call it 'the away end' !! Personally I need back support for health reasons, but I can't sit in front of the Chair's 'box' because it is all reserved and further along too many spaces are reserved for visiting officials which go largely unused. In short, all four of our party, to different degrees, were just not enjoying match days at the Waterways, so four paying customers were regularly lost.

To be even handed, I did mention a few issues online with Phil Durrant and did get a fair hearing and a respectful response.

The ground itself is being improved slowly. Much needed as the ground, like much at the club, feels dated. The clubhouse is tired. One small seating area and virtually no covered standing. Add to this zero atmosphere and with few new people being attracted as paying customers  - read fans - this doesn't bode well moving forward. Still the volunteers / committee personnel seem very chummy with the small bunch of season ticket holders, but not many others. 

I am also wary of a committee where a husband and wife team hold the posts of Chair, Treasurer and Club Secretary - this is not best practice surely? 100% **not** casting aspersions on the integrity of the post holders, just saying this is not the best scenario.

The pre-Christmas fall out from the Krac departure and eyebrows raised about the level of ambition Saltash might have was disastrous PR. Luckily it doesn't seem to have destabilised the on-field results. So what really are the Ashes ambitions? Southern League or not?

I've been to every SWPL West ground, a majority in 'the East', a majority in the WL Premier and others such as Tavi, Parkway, Willand, Truro, Tiverton and Bideford as local higher league clubs. There's some very welcoming clubs - Willand, the 'Dron, PZ, Sticker, Lanson, Buckland, Bovey Tracey, Tavi, Camelford et al spring immediately to mind.  So I know I'm not asking for the  earth. Yesterday was my 45th game of the season (including pre-season games) and this is despite very serious ill-health earlier in the season. On here, on Twitter, in everyday interactions with others I seek to promote the game either side of the Tamar. Grassroots local football is my 'go to' hobby! Going to so many games and clubs gives one an interesting perspective!

Now it is always easier to be critical than constructive. I'd be happy to engage with Saltash, even get involved in the club, if I thought they would welcome such. Indeed, next season, I will actively  be looking to get my hands dirty! I want to 'do things' and be involved on the committee of a local club rather than 'just' be a fan. 

Moreover, I accept my remarks reflect just my own outlook in writing this. I'm curious as to what others on here see as welcoming clubs and why. I'll start a thread on the generic Cornish Football section of this site. I hope to generate some positive discussion.  OK, now time for Leeds v Man Utd on the box.

Enjoy your football and have a good week everyone!

1 hour ago, SomersetObserver said:

Injuries and suspensions hitting Bridgwater hard at the moment. If they are going to win the title then they have to get a grip of their discipline.

Think the above has stymied to a degree the SWPL West challenge from Liskeard Athletic. With a full side out a 'Rolls Royce' team  playing great football with goal potential all over the park. Great win for them yesterday at St Blazey!

With everyone at it, Bridgy a top side (and club).

16 minutes ago, Both Sides of the Tamar said:

Well when we moved a few short miles across the Tamar others in my group wanted to go to Saltash regularly - I didn't. I was outvoted. Despite going every home game and a few away games for about four months I never felt welcomed or part of things. I really didn't like the thin skinned and unpleasant ex Chairman. This started with a complaint to him about fan conduct at a game vs Bitton which he dismissed out of hand and was in denial about. Others clearly felt likewise as a complaint was received by the Cornwall FA.

This was followed with another clash over a sexist comment in the programme about going on the club coach to Street, with him suggesting take your wife and we'll drop her off at Clark's Village!  I'm not 'right on' or on the lookout to be 'offended' but my partner likes her football and there's plenty women at the ground on match days. No need to go shopping on a Saturday afternoon! Further, Dave Bishop  spent most games in / around a coterie of older regulars - very cliquey. Even though he has gone, it still feels like same 'atmosphere' around the club **to me* The amount of reserved seating in a small ageing stand is ridiculous. It feels like every time we go the only place to sit is in front of the visitors dressing room. I call it 'the away end' !! Personally I need back support for health reasons, but I can't sit in front of the Chair's 'box' because it is all reserved and further along too many spaces are reserved for visiting officials which go largely unused. In short, all four of our party, to different degrees, were just not enjoying match days at the Waterways, so four paying customers were regularly lost.

To be even handed, I did mention a few issues online with Phil Durrant and did get a fair hearing and a respectful response.

The ground itself is being improved slowly. Much needed as the ground, like much at the club, feels dated. The clubhouse is tired. One small seating area and virtually no covered standing. Add to this zero atmosphere and with few new people being attracted as paying customers  - read fans - this doesn't bode well moving forward. Still the volunteers / committee personnel seem very chummy with the small bunch of season ticket holders, but not many others. 

I am also wary of a committee where a husband and wife team hold the posts of Chair, Treasurer and Club Secretary - this is not best practice surely? 100% **not** casting aspersions on the integrity of the post holders, just saying this is not the best scenario.

The pre-Christmas fall out from the Krac departure and eyebrows raised about the level of ambition Saltash might have was disastrous PR. Luckily it doesn't seem to have destabilised the on-field results. So what really are the Ashes ambitions? Southern League or not?

I've been to every SWPL West ground, a majority in 'the East', a majority in the WL Premier and others such as Tavi, Parkway, Willand, Truro, Tiverton and Bideford as local higher league clubs. There's some very welcoming clubs - Willand, the 'Dron, PZ, Sticker, Lanson, Buckland, Bovey Tracey, Tavi, Camelford et al spring immediately to mind.  So I know I'm not asking for the  earth. Yesterday was my 45th game of the season (including pre-season games) and this is despite very serious ill-health earlier in the season. On here, on Twitter, in everyday interactions with others I seek to promote the game either side of the Tamar. Grassroots local football is my 'go to' hobby! Going to so many games and clubs gives one an interesting perspective!

Now it is always easier to be critical than constructive. I'd be happy to engage with Saltash, even get involved in the club, if I thought they would welcome such. Indeed, next season, I will actively  be looking to get my hands dirty! I want to 'do things' and be involved on the committee of a local club rather than 'just' be a fan. 

Moreover, I accept my remarks reflect just my own outlook in writing this. I'm curious as to what others on here see as welcoming clubs and why. I'll start a thread on the generic Cornish Football section of this site. I hope to generate some positive discussion.  OK, now time for Leeds v Man Utd on the box.

Enjoy your football and have a good week everyone!

Very good post BSOTT, totally agree with what you say about feeling unwelcome at Kimberly/Waterways. They could learn a lot from other clubs in both Cornwall & Devon who seem to value the casual supporters just as much as their regulars. 

1 minute ago, Buckland Jim said:

Very good post BSOTT, totally agree with what you say about feeling unwelcome at Kimberly/Waterways. They could learn a lot from other clubs in both Cornwall & Devon who seem to value the casual supporters just as much as their regulars. 

Thing is Jim, I wasn't intending to be a casual supporter!  This midweek I went back to Buckland for the Falmouth game. Same great facilities and welcome! 6 points this week in the double-header versus them - that'll do nicely!  I somehow forgot to mention Exmouth. Southern Road a good day out too. I liked Bradford Town before they went to the Hellenic League too.

I should add, I wasn't trying to do a 'hatchet job' on the Ashes, but interesting to see my comments resonated with you.

ATM it is either Tavi or Liskeard as first ports of call on a Saturday.

23 minutes ago, Both Sides of the Tamar said:

Thing is Jim, I wasn't intending to be a casual supporter!  This midweek I went back to Buckland for the Falmouth game. Same great facilities and welcome! 6 points this week in the double-header versus them - that'll do nicely!  I somehow forgot to mention Exmouth. Southern Road a good day out too. I liked Bradford Town before they went to the Hellenic League too.

I should add, I wasn't trying to do a 'hatchet job' on the Ashes, but interesting to see my comments resonated with you.

ATM it is either Tavi or Liskeard as first ports of call on a Saturday.

I would be very wary of getting involved with any club with such a family oriented committee. Usually ends badly!

Further on Saltash, had a very unpleasant experience some years back as an away supporter. Bit of handbags on the pitch and a “spectator” jumps over the railings and gets involved. An active member of this forum (now deceased, I believe) denied such an incident took place, even though witnessed by 30+ away supporters in the stand! Turned out the “spectator” was a home player under suspension who disappeared at half time. Will never return to that place.

42 minutes ago, baldy said:

I would be very wary of getting involved with any club with such a family oriented committee. Usually ends badly!

Further on Saltash, had a very unpleasant experience some years back as an away supporter. Bit of handbags on the pitch and a “spectator” jumps over the railings and gets involved. An active member of this forum (now deceased, I believe) denied such an incident took place, even though witnessed by 30+ away supporters in the stand! Turned out the “spectator” was a home player under suspension who disappeared at half time. Will never return to that place.

Again, yesterday, another warning issued about future spectator behaviour, this time  following abuse of  match officials that was reported to the Cornish FA. Your first sentence very apt. Further, too many committees set in their ways and can be populated with 'we've always done things this way' types and with little succession planning. More clubs lucky to have people who volunteer and are the lifeblood of the game. For example, look at what hard work and good people has achieved (and achieving)  at places such as Sticker, Bude or St Dennis.

20 hours ago, sportsman10 said:

club not taking promotion as announced when Krac left

3 hours ago, rocky170267 said:

club not taking promotion as announced when Krac left

Yet, when challenged last Summer they still protested they were ‘ambitious’ !! Krac, a serial winner leaving a big loss. Think this might be Tavl’s ‘gain’

6 hours ago, cornish leg end said:

Another great result for Mousehole again they really seem to improve by the game. Great core of young players. Another promotion on the cards 

Certainly the best side to watch in the WL Premier.

They can protest all they like! Saltash were NEVER taking promotion even before Krac left! 
Current committee lack ambition mainly because they haven’t a clue &  Add Mrs Chairman into the mix (Boom!)  

You couldn’t make it up really! Shambles! 

Such a shame to see what was once a great club throwing it all away by a few small minded people! 

2 minutes ago, Footiefandango said:

They can protest all they like! Saltash were NEVER taking promotion even before Krac left! 
Current committee lack ambition mainly because they haven’t a clue &  Add Mrs Chairman into the mix (Boom!)  

Such a shame to see what was once a great club throwing it all away by a few small minded people! 

One of Cornwall’s best sides, one of the Duchy’s biggest towns, ideally located geographically, so much potential …… could be a great project. Will it be though.

8 hours ago, Footiefandango said:

If you refuse promotion, don't you get demoted ?? That certainly what I'm lead to believe.

On 11/02/2023 at 20:25, rocky170267 said:

To be fair Rob Farkins Applauded support at the end. 
He gave as good as he got. 

On 12/02/2023 at 22:42, Both Sides of the Tamar said:

One of Cornwall’s best sides, one of the Duchy’s biggest towns, ideally located geographically, so much potential …… could be a great project. Will it be though.

Reece Thompson (one of the best young midfield players on the local scene), felt that he had to leave his hometown club and move to Mousehole (75 miles away) in order to develop his career. Know that he moved in the limbo period between Dane Bunney's removal  and  Shane Krac coming in, but The Ashes not being able to keep hold of him tells a story.

On 13/02/2023 at 07:33, Drumming Nutter said:

If you refuse promotion, don't you get demoted ?? That certainly what I'm lead to believe.

Perhaps Western Peninsula League West (or whatever it will be called next season)is where The Ashes feel most comfortable at the moment?

55 minutes ago, Way Of The Park said:

Reece Thompson (one of the best young midfield players on the local scene), felt that he had to leave his hometown club and move to Mousehole (75 miles away) in order to develop his career. Know that he moved in the limbo period between Dane Bunney's removal  and  Shane Krac coming in, but The Ashes not being able to keep hold of him tells a story.

The coaching set up at mousehole, £100 a game and a 12 month contract had a bit to do with it as well 

4 minutes ago, Dave Deacon said:

Would that be £100 a game, or a week?

He’s not on that nor does he have a contract. 

However he is a fantastic player and a very nice lad as well.  I couldn’t speak highly enough of him when Jake asked me for my opinion. 

Hopefully he continues to develop and go from strength to strength