Jump to content
Cornwall Football Forum

RESULTS - Tuesday 7 February 2023


Dave Deacon

Recommended Posts

TOOLSTATION WESTERN LEAGUE

Ashton & Backwell United        4-0     Wellington

Buckland Athletic                      2-0     Falmouth Town

Saltash United                            P-P    Barnstaple Town

Shepton Mallet                           P-P    Sherborne Town

Torpoint Athletic                        1-5     Bridgwater United

 

LES PHILLIPS CUP

Ilfracombe Town                        3-2     Bishop Sutton

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, Dave Deacon said:

TOOLSTATION WESTERN LEAGUE (19:30)

Ashton & Backwell United     v     Wellington

Buckland Athletic        v          Falmouth Town

Saltash United        P-P       Barnstaple Town

Shepton Mallet            v          Sherborne Town

Torpoint Athletic       v          Bridgwater United

 

LES PHILLIPS CUP (19:30)

Ilfracombe Town         v          Bishop Sutton

Saltash p-p ?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Torpoint Ath 1 - 5 Bridgwater Utd

Torpoint goalscorer: Tom Bath

With the visitors winless in their last 5 we were either going to come up against a side in a rut or a wounded animal, we got the latter. They flew out of the blocks and were on us right from the off. A neat 1-2 in midfield saw us counter putting Jake Smith through on goal with the Bridg keeper for Smith to fire wide from 20yds+ and was clattered in the process. Surprised to not see a booking but maybe the fact the ball was well gone was the advantage in itself. The home side weren't happy. Minutes later the fortunes were reversed as the lively no.7 Hartley for Bridg was bundled over in the Torpoint box for it to be waved away. 2 huge calls in the opening spell and neither given. Maybe two uncertainties was a balance? Both sides now against the referee. But to be fair to him, a lot of referees might have crumbled at this point, but he stood strong and eased into the game himself and huge credit to him. I don't recall any other obvious errors from this point with a few bookings throughout and affirmative in the end with a sin bin around 32mins hushing up a lot of the criticism. A good use of the sin bin. From then on I thought he was impressive.

The opening goal on 9mins had a huge slice of fortune as a cross looped off a Point defender's head in to our own net, but based on their energetic start our visitors deserved it. The 2nd goal around half an hour was just as deserved as the front 2 of Conor Hartley and Jack Thorne linked up for the former to finish. Those two in particular were a thorne in our side all night and easily the fittest front two I've seen all season. Any ball into midfield didn't need a glance from Bridgwater and was turned round the corner for one of the two a willing runner into good areas. Not aimless or route one tactics as the weight of pass was superb and it gave us real problems all night. Against a lot of teams the simplicity of it wouldn't have been much of a threat if over or underhit but it killed us. At 0-2 we eventually grew into the game and got a little composure in our play. Our best move of the game from left back worked it's way through midfield and out to Thommo on the right byline whose cross/shot was fired through the 6yd box for no reward. From a distance it did look like one or the other would've been better. During this 10min spell where we thought we may get one back before the half, the visitors soaked up the pressure and scored a 3rd around 43mins, again created by Hartley and Thorne for Armstrong to finish. A killer! 0-3 HT.

A much improved 2nd half saw us pull one back as a superb cross from the left found Bath inside 10yds to head against the post and out, but not to safety as Ryan Richards gathered the ball out wide and drilled back into the 6yd box for the alive again Bath to finish. In the ascendency and with a more relaxed feel, we should've had a 2nd. A lovely ball from the right channel into Richards' run was volleyed superbly inside the near post for 2-3, but it was chalked out by the linesman. Though I wasn't level with play, it looked clearly onside and those that know Ryan will know his pace and movement is just that sharp, and he had come from behind the defender. The saving grace for the linesman was it would have been very difficult to keep an eye on the initial pass from the halfway line as well as Ryan's run around 20yds due to the angle. You'd need eyes on the side of your head to watch both. A let off for the visitors as they had eased off at HT. But this woke them up and Thorne again was a real threat. It was Thorne who restored the 3 goal lead as another ball down the channel put him in a foot race with Heveran who was shown a clean set of heels and Thorne fired inside the far post for 1-4. It was Thorne again for their 5th from a similar build up and angle, though this time produced the finish of the game, selling the defender and cutting back onto his left foot fired another inside the far post for a deserved brace. 1-5 FT.

A disappointing result on paper and an eye opener to the levels at the top end of the league. I've only seen 3 WL games so far this season at The Mill and every one has a similar pattern when compared to the SWL. It's more physical, teams are bigger/fitter but the most important thing I've seen is the winning side scores at key times. I saw us beat Buckland a month ago and both teams created decent chances, but we scored at key moments. Likewise last night, Bridgwater scored 2 when they were on top early, then weather a storm and scored a 3rd against the run of play to take a 0-3 HT lead and killed us. If we'd scored the 1v1 at 0-0 or Richards' goal wasn't chalked off for 2-3, maybe it's different? Tough season so far but we're learning and key players are regaining fitness with each game. Lots of positives to take away which won't be shown on the Full Time website. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

25 minutes ago, Foul Throw 3 said:

Torpoint Ath 1 - 5 Bridgwater Utd

Torpoint goalscorer: Tom Bath

With the visitors winless in their last 5 we were either going to come up against a side in a rut or a wounded animal, we got the latter. They flew out of the blocks and were on us right from the off. A neat 1-2 in midfield saw us counter putting Jake Smith through on goal with the Bridg keeper for Smith to fire wide from 20yds+ and was clattered in the process. Surprised to not see a booking but maybe the fact the ball was well gone was the advantage in itself. The home side weren't happy. Minutes later the fortunes were reversed as the lively no.7 Hartley for Bridg was bundled over in the Torpoint box for it to be waved away. 2 huge calls in the opening spell and neither given. Maybe two uncertainties was a balance? Both sides now against the referee. But to be fair to him, a lot of referees might have crumbled at this point, but he stood strong and eased into the game himself and huge credit to him. I don't recall any other obvious errors from this point with a few bookings throughout and affirmative in the end with a sin bin around 32mins hushing up a lot of the criticism. A good use of the sin bin. From then on I thought he was impressive.

The opening goal on 9mins had a huge slice of fortune as a cross looped off a Point defender's head in to our own net, but based on their energetic start our visitors deserved it. The 2nd goal around half an hour was just as deserved as the front 2 of Conor Hartley and Jack Thorne linked up for the former to finish. Those two in particular were a thorne in our side all night and easily the fittest front two I've seen all season. Any ball into midfield didn't need a glance from Bridgwater and was turned round the corner for one of the two a willing runner into good areas. Not aimless or route one tactics as the weight of pass was superb and it gave us real problems all night. Against a lot of teams the simplicity of it wouldn't have been much of a threat if over or underhit but it killed us. At 0-2 we eventually grew into the game and got a little composure in our play. Our best move of the game from left back worked it's way through midfield and out to Thommo on the right byline whose cross/shot was fired through the 6yd box for no reward. From a distance it did look like one or the other would've been better. During this 10min spell where we thought we may get one back before the half, the visitors soaked up the pressure and scored a 3rd around 43mins, again created by Hartley and Thorne for Armstrong to finish. A killer! 0-3 HT.

A much improved 2nd half saw us pull one back as a superb cross from the left found Bath inside 10yds to head against the post and out, but not to safety as Ryan Richards gathered the ball out wide and drilled back into the 6yd box for the alive again Bath to finish. In the ascendency and with a more relaxed feel, we should've had a 2nd. A lovely ball from the right channel into Richards' run was volleyed superbly inside the near post for 2-3, but it was chalked out by the linesman. Though I wasn't level with play, it looked clearly onside and those that know Ryan will know his pace and movement is just that sharp, and he had come from behind the defender. The saving grace for the linesman was it would have been very difficult to keep an eye on the initial pass from the halfway line as well as Ryan's run around 20yds due to the angle. You'd need eyes on the side of your head to watch both. A let off for the visitors as they had eased off at HT. But this woke them up and Thorne again was a real threat. It was Thorne who restored the 3 goal lead as another ball down the channel put him in a foot race with Heveran who was shown a clean set of heels and Thorne fired inside the far post for 1-4. It was Thorne again for their 5th from a similar build up and angle, though this time produced the finish of the game, selling the defender and cutting back onto his left foot fired another inside the far post for a deserved brace. 1-5 FT.

A disappointing result on paper and an eye opener to the levels at the top end of the league. I've only seen 3 WL games so far this season at The Mill and every one has a similar pattern when compared to the SWL. It's more physical, teams are bigger/fitter but the most important thing I've seen is the winning side scores at key times. I saw us beat Buckland a month ago and both teams created decent chances, but we scored at key moments. Likewise last night, Bridgwater scored 2 when they were on top early, then weather a storm and scored a 3rd against the run of play to take a 0-3 HT lead and killed us. If we'd scored the 1v1 at 0-0 or Richards' goal wasn't chalked off for 2-3, maybe it's different? Tough season so far but we're learning and key players are regaining fitness with each game. Lots of positives to take away which won't be shown on the Full Time website. 

From a Parkway point of view it's good to see Tom Bath back playing and scoring.  Not a good night for Torpoint though, and expect that Mousehole and Saltash faces would have been there and hoping that they could have done them a favour in the title/promotion race.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Buckland Athletic 2 Falmouth Town 0

A fairly routine Bucks win against a disappointing Falmouth Town. Two first half goals by Jared Lewington, back at the Bucks, sealed the points. The first a glancing header, the second a fantastic viscous rising shot into the top corner of the net. Apart from one first half save, Town rarely threatened. The Bucks were better in every department. A solid performance from the hosts! Dan Hart making good progress with Buckland, as I fully expected. Great passion and organising and encouragement from the sidelines throughout. The team, with a couple of experienced additions could be challengers next season. 

Big respect for the numbers following Town last night. Great vocal backing as ever.

I’ve a feeling a stronger test awaits in the reverse fixture at Bickland  Park on Saturday!

Hopefully a few degrees warmer on Saturday. It was bloody freezing last nigh!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Foul Throw 3 said:

Torpoint Ath 1 - 5 Bridgwater Utd

Torpoint goalscorer: Tom Bath

With the visitors winless in their last 5 we were either going to come up against a side in a rut or a wounded animal, we got the latter. They flew out of the blocks and were on us right from the off. A neat 1-2 in midfield saw us counter putting Jake Smith through on goal with the Bridg keeper for Smith to fire wide from 20yds+ and was clattered in the process. Surprised to not see a booking but maybe the fact the ball was well gone was the advantage in itself. The home side weren't happy. Minutes later the fortunes were reversed as the lively no.7 Hartley for Bridg was bundled over in the Torpoint box for it to be waved away. 2 huge calls in the opening spell and neither given. Maybe two uncertainties was a balance? Both sides now against the referee. But to be fair to him, a lot of referees might have crumbled at this point, but he stood strong and eased into the game himself and huge credit to him. I don't recall any other obvious errors from this point with a few bookings throughout and affirmative in the end with a sin bin around 32mins hushing up a lot of the criticism. A good use of the sin bin. From then on I thought he was impressive.

The opening goal on 9mins had a huge slice of fortune as a cross looped off a Point defender's head in to our own net, but based on their energetic start our visitors deserved it. The 2nd goal around half an hour was just as deserved as the front 2 of Conor Hartley and Jack Thorne linked up for the former to finish. Those two in particular were a thorne in our side all night and easily the fittest front two I've seen all season. Any ball into midfield didn't need a glance from Bridgwater and was turned round the corner for one of the two a willing runner into good areas. Not aimless or route one tactics as the weight of pass was superb and it gave us real problems all night. Against a lot of teams the simplicity of it wouldn't have been much of a threat if over or underhit but it killed us. At 0-2 we eventually grew into the game and got a little composure in our play. Our best move of the game from left back worked it's way through midfield and out to Thommo on the right byline whose cross/shot was fired through the 6yd box for no reward. From a distance it did look like one or the other would've been better. During this 10min spell where we thought we may get one back before the half, the visitors soaked up the pressure and scored a 3rd around 43mins, again created by Hartley and Thorne for Armstrong to finish. A killer! 0-3 HT.

A much improved 2nd half saw us pull one back as a superb cross from the left found Bath inside 10yds to head against the post and out, but not to safety as Ryan Richards gathered the ball out wide and drilled back into the 6yd box for the alive again Bath to finish. In the ascendency and with a more relaxed feel, we should've had a 2nd. A lovely ball from the right channel into Richards' run was volleyed superbly inside the near post for 2-3, but it was chalked out by the linesman. Though I wasn't level with play, it looked clearly onside and those that know Ryan will know his pace and movement is just that sharp, and he had come from behind the defender. The saving grace for the linesman was it would have been very difficult to keep an eye on the initial pass from the halfway line as well as Ryan's run around 20yds due to the angle. You'd need eyes on the side of your head to watch both. A let off for the visitors as they had eased off at HT. But this woke them up and Thorne again was a real threat. It was Thorne who restored the 3 goal lead as another ball down the channel put him in a foot race with Heveran who was shown a clean set of heels and Thorne fired inside the far post for 1-4. It was Thorne again for their 5th from a similar build up and angle, though this time produced the finish of the game, selling the defender and cutting back onto his left foot fired another inside the far post for a deserved brace. 1-5 FT.

A disappointing result on paper and an eye opener to the levels at the top end of the league. I've only seen 3 WL games so far this season at The Mill and every one has a similar pattern when compared to the SWL. It's more physical, teams are bigger/fitter but the most important thing I've seen is the winning side scores at key times. I saw us beat Buckland a month ago and both teams created decent chances, but we scored at key moments. Likewise last night, Bridgwater scored 2 when they were on top early, then weather a storm and scored a 3rd against the run of play to take a 0-3 HT lead and killed us. If we'd scored the 1v1 at 0-0 or Richards' goal wasn't chalked off for 2-3, maybe it's different? Tough season so far but we're learning and key players are regaining fitness with each game. Lots of positives to take away which won't be shown on the Full Time website. 

Great report👏, I feel I was there. People often read too much into a result i.e. losing 5-1 at home. They really need to be there to understand how the game panned out the way it did ie bad luck, exceptional goals, mistakes, off day, key players missing, tight decisions etc. However, despite the result, Torpoint seem to be in a good place.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, sportsman10 said:

Jared lewington seems to bounce around alot of clubs. Was at Taunton. Then parkway on loan then just seem to disappear and now Buckland . 

Roughly

2018-Truro City, 2019 Tiverton Town,  2020 Torquau United-2021 Taunton Town, 2022 Plymouth Parkwa, Buckland Athletic--not sure of his clubs before 2018

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Both Sides of the Tamar said:

Buckland Athletic 2 Falmouth Town 0

A fairly routine Bucks win against a disappointing Falmouth Town. Two first half goals by Jared Lewington, back at the Bucks, sealed the points. The first a glancing header, the second a fantastic viscous rising shot into the top corner of the net. Apart from one first half save, Town rarely threatened. The Bucks were better in every department. A solid performance from the hosts! Dan Hart making good progress with Buckland, as I fully expected. Great passion and organising and encouragement from the sidelines throughout. The team, with a couple of experienced additions could be challengers next season. 

Big respect for the numbers following Town last night. Great vocal backing as ever.

I’ve a feeling a stronger test awaits in the reverse fixture at Bickland  Park on Saturday!

Hopefully a few degrees warmer on Saturday. It was bloody freezing last nigh!

Looking at the team sheet on Twitter, Luke Brabyn missing last night.  Looks like he will be missing again on Saturday.  Interestingly Jacob  "Jaffa" Rowe from Wadebridge was on the bench for Town but probably not available for Saturday. Town look a bit short of Strikers without Brabyn and JBE although Charlie Edney has real potential.

Could be another tough game in the return fixture at Bickland at the weekend.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Dave Deacon changed the title to RESULTS - Tuesday 7 February 2023
On 08/02/2023 at 12:07, The Town Man said:

Looking at the team sheet on Twitter, Luke Brabyn missing last night.  Looks like he will be missing again on Saturday.  Interestingly Jacob  "Jaffa" Rowe from Wadebridge was on the bench for Town but probably not available for Saturday. Town look a bit short of Strikers without Brabyn and JBE although Charlie Edney has real potential.

Could be another tough game in the return fixture at Bickland at the weekend.

Jaffa available for Saturday as Wadebridge have no fixture 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, Both Sides of the Tamar said:

Was at Torquay United for a while but never given a chance. A top striker at Step 5.

Scored goals as well for Taunton and Tiverton at step 3. Heard that he was a physical presence at Parkway in his recent spell there, and put himself about, but didn't really look like scoring.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 10/02/2023 at 07:11, Way Of The Park said:

Scored goals as well for Taunton and Tiverton at step 3. Heard that he was a physical presence at Parkway in his recent spell there, and put himself about, but didn't really look like scoring.

6 in 5 games for the Bucks now

He’s at a club where he feels wanted and looks to be thriving on the supply from out wide

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...