Cornwall Football Forum

Combellack Vehicle Recyclers ECPL Results Saturday 4th February 2023

Torpoint Ath 5 - 0 St Dennis Reserves

Torpoint goalscorers - Bartolini, Easterbrook, Hussey, WestallM x2. 

Lineup: Jackson, Bark, Bartolini, Pearce, Hussey, Brown, Robbins, Northcott, Easterbrook, Ferguson, Rio Driver.

Subs: WestallM, Rowe, Warren, Cotter, Halls.

A really good game and I was pleased with how we played. The score line flattered our visitors and some good saves and a ton of missed chances could've seen the score line 10+. After last week's rustiness and the bobbly pitch yesterday, it was a much improved performance after our 10 week "break."

It took us an age to actually break the deadlock, with Bartolini ghosting in at the back post from a sweet Northcott corner in the 43rd min. It was only a matter of time though and we went into the HT break 1-0 up but disappointed it wasn't more. St Dennis defended for their lives throughout the half and a number of good saves from the visiting goalkeeper and last ditch blocks from the back four kept us at bay until right before half time. The pitch didn't help our play in the opening period but we grew confidence and the midfield 3 in particular really impressed with their link up. Easterbrook looked dangerous as always but was thwarted and any chance Ferguson had he was too unselfish and didn't pull the trigger. A first start up front for 16yr old Myles Rio Driver for the 3rd team was also a huge positive as he played with maturity and linked up well throughout. A few free kicks in dangerous areas were close with no cigar and a number of other set pieces were not capitalised on.

It wasn't all one way traffic though as St Dennis had two key opportunities to score themselves and could've been in the lead from either. Ryan Oxley cut inside our centre half on the left hand side of the box and let go of a curling effort which smashed back off the cross bar. The other effort was a lapse in concentration in defence coupled with a nasty bobble and the forward nipped in and unleashed a good effort at goal but Jackson made a superb save! 

The 2nd half was much of the same but with the added cherry on top resulting in the goals we deserved. The 2nd goal came around the 58th min when the sharp skill of Northcott left a StD defender stuck in the mud and his low ball was finished off by top scorer Easterbrook. Our 3rd was unselfish play from Easterbrook who after a defensive mix up the keeper was in no man's land so Easterbrook and the born again striker WestallM drove at the last defender, with the latter sidefooting into the open goal after being slid in by Ryan. The 4th goal was disgusting and the ego of Hussey took an inswinging corner with his weaker foot for it to evade everyone and end up inside the far post for his 5th goal of the season for the left back. Torpoint's Leighton Baines! The 5th goal was the best finish of the game with WestallM smashing the ball in off the post when he found a yard of space inside the box leaving the keeper no chance after good work by Easterbrook on the left.

Other highlights for me include the return of Ryan Warren after a nasty break for our u18s back in late October, another returnee was Matty Cotter, but the biggest of the day was a men's football debut for Boyd Halls after impressing for the u16s and in training over winter. He's going to be a top player given time.

Thanks to St Dennis and Grosey for making it a good game and I hope they can improve on their fortunes now we've played them. Their comments about the after match food was also gratefully received thank you.

1 hour ago, LaLaL said:

The league table that you'll realistically be sitting at 6th in once teams have caught up on games? Awfully noisy for a side only there to maintain a fixture list 😂

I have nothing to do with St Columb Major football club sir. I just saw the persons message about blaming the linesman for his sides defeat against St Columb. 

I've seen St Columb play a couple times and they don't look a bad side too me i may add 👍

18 minutes ago, Pasty Lover said:

I have nothing to do with St Columb Major football club sir. I just saw the persons message about blaming the linesman for his sides defeat against St Columb. 

I've seen St Columb play a couple times and they don't look a bad side too me i may add 👍

Happy to hold my hands up when wrong so apologies 👍

Having seen St Columb do what they've done in the Duchy league I would be inclined to agree however, there is an awful lot of trash talking and slandering for what is still a recreational football league! 

North Petherwin 2-0 St Newlyn East

A good advert for the ECPL between two evenly matched teams on the day. North Petherwin started the brighter but Newlyn were able to hold fast and were grateful to a fine save from Nathan Prentice to stop the home side breaking the deadlock. However the breakthrough for the hosts came on the half hour mark when Newlyn’s James Turpie saw his unfortunate sliced clearance spiral up, over and away from Prentice - seemingly in slow motion - to nestle in the corner for an own goal.

Both sides had further chances to score and both keepers were forced to make good saves. Newlyn thought they should have been awarded a penalty at 1-0 when Owen London was tripped in the area but the referee waived play on. North Petherwin finally made sure of the points but were only able to do so in the 92nd minute through a good header at the far post.

Disappointing to lose but we wish North Petherwin well and good luck for the rest of their season and for the hospitality in The Stumble Inn after.

Jiggy, SNEFC

On 05/02/2023 at 22:06, LaLaL said:

Happy to hold my hands up when wrong so apologies 👍

Having seen St Columb do what they've done in the Duchy league I would be inclined to agree however, there is an awful lot of trash talking and slandering for what is still a recreational football league! 

No problem! 👍